• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I really really need more space ):

The cities are too damn small. I understand they want us to specialize and all that crap, but I WANT to put my high tech industries with my Ore mining so I have sustainable income.

BUT NO.

Game keeps telling me I have not enough workers; I also don't have enough students to make my university available.

I want to zone more residential, but the MAP IS FULL. (all this was done building in grids...don't even let me begin with the curved roads ->SPACE?!!?)

I don't mind the MP regions and stuff, but I really don't want to play MP all the time. Thing is my other city on a public server, I keep sending resources to the Great Works that we constructed, but IT NEVER UPDATES.

Seriously WTF is the point then if the region stuff is broken?!

Arghhhhh Sorry I just need to vent this anger somewhere.

Why couldn't maxis just update Simcity 4 for the new generation. GAWD DAMNIT.

Yeah, I run out of space to build within a few hours for each city I've built. They're puny.

Septimius

The cities are too damn small. I understand they want us to specialize and all that crap, but I WANT to put my high tech industries with my Ore mining so I have sustainable income.

BUT NO.

Game keeps telling me I have not enough workers; I also don't have enough students to make my university available.

I want to zone more residential, but the MAP IS FULL. (all this was done building in grids...don't even let me begin with the curved roads ->SPACE?!!?)

I don't mind the MP regions and stuff, but I really don't want to play MP all the time. Thing is my other city on a public server, I keep sending resources to the Great Works that we constructed, but IT NEVER UPDATES.

Are your grids big enough to support higher density? Bring up the density map, and check if there are someone with a huge green pillar, and when you click that house, if it says "not enough space to expand"

You can't send all of our excess to a single player. It is automatically evenly divided between cities.

Even the overview in the region view says it only is able sells 250 or so while I overproduce 500, and I assume that is the total. I get that it is shared with other players, but it does not sell all of my overproduced water by far.

JWong

Banned

BUT NO.

Ore mining isn't sustainable anyway. If you played for like 3 hours, the ore will be gone.

And I have made a TV factory, Processor factory, Ore smelting, Ore mining city, so it can be done. You just didn't think it's possible.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Trying to build a great work but it says it'll take a few minutes. How many hours does that translate to?

After 5 or so minutes playing in my major city, the game crashes... "your city is not responding" - I'm not sure if that is the actual phrasing in english. Anyone got the same problem?

KKRT00

I think i stagnated with my first city. I have 100% employment, no space at all and 130-140k population. I have severe traffic problems, because i failed to make avenues and now try to fix it a little with buses, but my main problem is lack of space for additional residential zones.
Also selling ore by trade depot sux, its too slow, i'm filling 2 depots with just two mines all the time.

Good i wish to have more like two times more space and fucking zone have valleys too ;\
BTW even with only 130k population Simcity uses 40%,60%,60%,60% of my i5 2500k cores on fast speed.

Koomaster

Trying to build a great work but it says it'll take a few minutes. How many hours does that translate to?
The last few me and my friends started were within 5 - 30 minutes. But it may depend on what server you are on. I know one my boyfriend started took days for it to go through for some reason.

I think i stagnated with my first city. I have 100% employment, no space at all and 130-140k population. I have severe traffic problems, because i failed to make avenues and now try to fix it a little with buses, but my main problem is lack of space for additional residential zones.
Also selling ore by trade depot sux, its too slow, i'm filling 2 depots with just two mines all the time.

Good i wish to have more like two times more space and fucking zone have valleys too ;\
BTW even with only 130k population Simcity uses 40%,60%,60%,60% of my i5 2500k cores on fast speed.

You mean ~20,000.

KKRT00

You mean ~20,000.

More like 16k with 3-4k additional agents for other services, but yeah :) Still, its expensive, when i started simcity and had like 500-1k sims, it barely used 15% of the whole cpu.

--
To make videos for Gamersyde, I had to switch the game to English as Origin installed it in French.

If you don't mind redownloading the whole 2GB files, just change de language of Origin, uninstall and reinstall SimCity.

But if you don't want to redownload everything, here is how I did it :

So I switched Origin language to English, copied the game folder to somewhere else, then uninstalled the game.
Then I copied back the game folder to its original place, then I chose to install it again.
I got some errors, and after reading the Origin log files, I fount out that some files where conflicting, so I had to delete these :
- \SimCity\SimCity\EAWebkit.dll
- \SimCity\SimCity\version_app.txt

I think that was the only files I had to delete, retry to download the game if you get errors, if it's still showing errors, open the log file (C:/ProgramData/Origin/Logs/Client_Log.html) and try to see at the end which file is causing problems.

If you can't find it, just delete some more files in the SimCity\SimCity folder, and retry, the SimCity\SimCityData folder is mostly filed with the game launcher.

If you get ??? everywhere in the launcher, close it and copy \SimCity\SimCityData\Locale\en-us to \SimCity\SimCity\Locale\en-us (or in the other way, I don't remembler).

That's a bit tricky, but as I didn't have time to redownload the whole 2GB files, I had to find a way by myself to change language twice (yeah after that I switched back to french...).
I had no options for english version, its russian, hungary and polish edition, so i probably cant change language without some files switch and ini/registry modification. Fortunately, polish in this game isnt annoying, like in Crysis 3 for example.

dejay

Banned
I'm dropping out due to city size. I pretty much have a decent road building strategy so I start a city, have my roads laid out in under an hour and then it's just sit and tweak, like I did the last few cities I built.

I don't even build grid cities, but you still run out of creative expression quite quickly. I just load up one of my cities, look at it and say to myself "what am I going to do now?" and close it.

JWong

Banned
Anyone know a list of downsides for the great works?

I found out the International Airport really hammers you with criminals. I believe if the region has high crime rate, it will spawn criminals.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So if I want to play in my friends region, I can't even wait until the server has an open slot? There's no kind of queue?

like I just want to join my friend's server so I can fucking play on that region but now I won't be able to because I can't even wait to get in. There's something wrong with your service when you don't even have US servers for US players

KePoW

Banned
So if I want to play in my friends region, I can't even wait until the server has an open slot? There's no kind of queue?

like I just want to join my friend's server so I can fucking play on that region but now I won't be able to because I can't even wait to get in. There's something wrong with your service when you don't even have US servers for US players

Not sure what you're talking about. Right now (midnight Central, and you just posted 30 minutes ago) every US server is up and open to login.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not sure what you're talking about. Right now (midnight Central, and you just posted 30 minutes ago) every US server is up and open to login.

It's been like this for 2 hours
safggxcudv.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I will never get to play online, I guess. Almost every region is full. When i find an open lot in one, it always says reclaim instead of claim, and t won't let me get in because, of course, I can't reclaim what i never claimed in the first place. Also, all the servers are full. Nice.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, I have a region up with about 10 open plots on NA West 1 if anyone wants to join in. Drop your Origin name so I can add and invite. The only catch it you have to name your city after a Yu-Gi-Oh! card lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/server-status

Something's wrong with your internet or something, I've been playing on US West 4 for the past few hours. And I've logged out and back in a few times for dinner and to watch TV a bit.

Full for players new to this server.

That's the problem. I bought the game today, but I'm not allowed to play on my own server because of their botched launch. How long do I have to wait until I can play on my own continent's servers?

dejay

Banned
That's the problem. I bought the game today, but I'm not allowed to play on my own server because of their botched launch. How long do I have to wait until I can play on my own continent's servers?

You know the servers are all located together anyway? There's no real difference if you want to play on another server.

Acorn

The giant lizard has been stuck, and has been walking into the side of a mountain in my city for the past hour.

If Aliens descended upon neogaf to observe the human race - this is the only post I want them to see and it has to be without context.

(For some reason I'm pissing myself laughing here your post)

Septimius

Ok, since my GAF-region on NA West 4 ended up being on a full server, I am starting a new GAF-region on Antarctica. I'll check in on those of you that wanted to join the NA West 4 server, but couldn't due to it being full. That still leaves a good amount of spots.

If you want to join, just let me know.

dejay

Banned
oh com'on that's an obvious feature, they want you to buy a lizard running machine to place right there to generate electricity for your city... ;)

Giant Lizard Treadmill - $9.95

Pros: Generates 1.21 Gigawatts, eats garbage
Con: Farts methane

(edit)I'd actually buy that for $2

relaxor

what?
The one true server!

nice!!

I gotta say from the sounds of it there's a little less sim and a little less city in this iteration. What I don't care for in the approach is saying that adding personalization didn't make a meaningful difference. I hope they change this outlook going forward, making the Sims rationally inhabit their city would be the best. It would make a deeper connection, and I imagine the physics of the game would work better. As it is SimCity is fighting against it's own illogical constraints.

frontieruk

Giant Lizard Treadmill - $9.95

Pros: Generates 1.21 Gigawatts, eats garbage
Con: Farts methane

(edit)I'd actually buy that for $2

you know I think I would, an add on to the dump, I'm sure some clever sod could come up with someway of harnessing the methane for energy use as well

elektrixx

Banned
I've tried doing everything perfectly and it still wasn't good enough for the game.

I ditched this:
Spark_2013-03-16_13-48-02_zps797708b3.png

And this:
Spark_2013-03-16_17-08-55_zpsf762dcbc.png

And a few others because every city I made would fill right up yet demand even more resources and zoning which was impossible.

I knocked down an entire city while I had 1,500,000 Simoleons in an effort to do everything perfectly.

Spark_2013-03-17_18-12-20_zpsda154871.png

This was it. A mix of roads which theoretically splits traffic (yet could've been made better by matching the offset of the regional road), the spread of city services and everything pre-built and powered off before zoning began so nobody could complain about a damn thing.

I paused the game, zoned yellow on the outside and residential on the inside with some commercial evenly spread with it. I powered on every building and unpaused the game.

The 1.5 million was supposed to fully cover the build time of people moving in and the upkeep of city services. Instead everything was broken soon as I unpaused the action.

It took far too long for people to take the city service jobs and caused many abandoned buildings early on. Some went on fire and couldn't be put out because nobody worked at any of my TWO perfectly placed fire stations despite the 200k visitors that apparently popped in.

Eventually I purchased water, power and sewage from the region and people did end up taking all those government jobs but it didn't matter. For some reason most buildings halted at 0% build status and the rest of the people constantly complained about nonexistent crime. What pissed me off most of all was that my perfectly created rubbish collection refused to work:

Spark_2013-03-17_19-03-19_zpse9412d5b.png

It took a while, probably because it was unplayable for a long time, but I despise this game. A game from a series I once loved. I've had enough of the game's mechanics and I'm sick of trying to work around the horrible pathfinding of traffic, power and water. I'm not playing this anymore.

FUCK. THIS. GAME. http://youtu.be/Vzt1bTGA0kk

You know the servers are all located together anyway? There's no real difference if you want to play on another server.

There is a slight difference between the servers. Mainly that your saves aren't clouded between servers, and if the one you saved on is busy you'll have to wait until it's not busy before you can play that saved city.

That doesn't really seem very 'cloud'-like to me btw.

munroe

Has anyone had any issues with emergency vehicles not appearing? As in, no matter how many more police car lots or fire trucks you build, none ever appear on the map.

Looking at my police station, the station says I have 10 cars all out on patrol, if I look at my police map which highlights where the police cars are, I have none in my city at all. I've checked the regional map to see if they're visiting any other city and they're not, they're just no where.

I've destroyed and rebuilt the station, still nothing. Crime always has the upper hand in my city as I can't get any police...

MadD4mon has assembled this timeline of all the events that occurred following SimCity's release. I've added it to the main OT and it will be continually updated as more news comes in. Thanks MadD4mon for making this!

-GJ-

How big is the game when it's installed? And did anyone try to run it through Bootcamp on Mac? I wanna play it really bad, but I don't have access to a Windows PC.

Top Bottom