• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

AppleMIX

I still don't get the "no preload" policy.

What's the upside to that?

I only see downsides.

It could be used to stifle the amount of connections the server has to deal with at launch. People with fast connections will get in faster than people with slow connections.

It could be used to stifle the amount of connections the server has to deal with at launch. People with fast connections will get in faster than people with slow connections.

Pfft, amateur

2545256358.png

:p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
God damn no preload. Guess Ill have to TeamViewer to my PC from work and leave it downloading so when I get home Ill have some pretty beautiful SimCity. Tuesday's gonna be hard with Tomb Raider as well haha

Got a really good deal on the LE version (<20$) so I went ahead and picked it up. No preload sucks though, especially since I have a slow connection.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Got a really good deal on the LE version (<20$) so I went ahead and picked it up. No preload sucks though, especially since I have a slow connection.

Are you saying you bought the full LE game for less than $20? Care to share just how you did that? I'd so buy the game for that price...

Are you saying you bought the full LE game for less than $20? Care to share just how you did that? I'd so buy the game for that price...

I live in India and games are just cheaper here. Simcity is priced around 30$ and a local retailer had a 30% off coupon.

Seriously thinking what should I do with my GAF City :p

Same here. My plot of land is only 40% buildable. With such a limited space, I know I'll be going high density grid full of skyscrapers. I know I'll be calling it York Shin City. Other than that, not sure. Probably go with high tech/electronics.

Jedi2016

It seems the only reason there isn't a pre-load is because you're downloading the majority of the game from Maxis, instead of through Origin.
That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The whole idea of a pre-load is to lighten the load on the servers on launch day (it's done for their benefit, not ours). If Maxis's servers have a lower load capacity than Origin's, the servers will crash and burn on Tuesday.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
Anyone in New Veridian Woods, please add me on Origin (Name: RedWaltz).

How is it going to work getting everyone into the same region? Is there already one person in each region assigned to invite people into the region? Can regions be set to "private" so random people just don't take spots in regions?

Discovery Delta #1

Sent Request
cjdamon042
Felix Lighter

The rest isn't on the spreadsheet.

KPJZKC
8bit
Spl1nter
Dmorr07
timetokill
DPsygnet
taoofjord
LiquidMetal14
Stutte
MKAllDay
Pandemic
trinest
Mii

if you guys see your name here my origin ID is DMPrince

Repgnar

Just sent my info to Cjdamon (just realized he's in my region too) so my info should be on there eventually. I'll go ahead and add the people that are in the same Discovery Delta at the moment.

Darklord

Banned
Sorry, I haven't kept watch. How do we join the region when the game comes out? I'm in the first Titan Gorge. Do we add everyone to origin and work it out?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sorry, I haven't kept watch. How do we join the region when the game comes out? I'm in the first Titan Gorge. Do we add everyone to origin and work it out?

The person who creates the region (make sure it's private), then sends out invitations to all the people on his friends list.

The invitations can be sent while still in the "create a region" window, or they can be sent after the region has already been created. That way, you don't need to worry if you are the first one online, and no one else who is supposed to be in your region has installed the game yet.

Darklord

Banned
The person who creates the region (make sure it's private), then sends out invitations to all the people on his friends list.

The invitations can be sent while still in the "create a region" window, or they can be sent after the region has already been created. That way, you don't need to worry if you are the first one online, and no one else who is supposed to be in your region has installed the game yet.

So metalmurphy creates them? Or just someone in that region?

Darklord

Banned
I'm in Titan Gorge 1(06.php) so those in it, add me! Origin name: Metal_Mills

Jintor
NJBorn
Chili
Nlroh
pepboy
19 & 21
largan
Xane
Burgess_101
Nerro3000
ekim
EC_Ballistik
Ikuu
swoon37
TheQueen'sOwn

These are the duders in my region so add me and let me know yours.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So metalmurphy creates them? Or just someone in that region?

I suppose each region should have a governor tasked with creating the region, and inviting the mayors.

Anyone who has a city in the region can create it. This would probably be the first person to log on, so he/she can get started as soon as possible.

There are two main ways you can approach planning:

Option 1: Everyone do whatever the hell they want.

Option 2: Moderate organization structure as in the following:

One person is the "regional manager" who oversees and help plan the region, in a general sense. Manages stuff that affects the whole region such as resources, great works, and university education.

Then, one person in each cluster can be a "cluster manager", who can then manage/oversee the more local stuff that only affects sims in a cluster, such as power, water, fire, police, health.

I would advise that since this is everyone's first time, that you hardcore players out there try not to overdo it, since everyone has different amounts of time to give to this game, as well as different amounts of effort. Not everyone is a min/maxer. By "not to overdo it", I mean, don't get frustrated if someone is not progressing their city as fast as you'd like. We're all beginners here.

Whoever creates it though should be somewhat dedicated to the game. It might be necessary to change some options in the future, and if only the creator can change, and he stops playing, that could be a problem.

Darklord

Banned
Anyone who has a city in the region can create it. This would probably be the first person to log on, so he/she can get started as soon as possible.

There are two main ways you can approach planning:

Option 1: Everyone do whatever the hell they want.

Option 2: Moderate organization structure as in the following:

One person is the "regional manager" who oversees and help plan the region, in a general sense. Manages stuff that affects the whole region such as resources, great works, and university education.

Then, one person in each cluster can be a "cluster manager", who can then manage/oversee the more local stuff that only affects sims in a cluster, such as power, water, fire, police, health.

I would advise that since this is everyone's first time, that you hardcore players out there try not to overdo it, since everyone has different amounts of time to give to this game, as well as different amounts of effort. Not everyone is a min/maxer. By "not to overdo it", I mean, don't get frustrated if someone is not progressing their city as fast as you'd like. We're all beginners here.

Yeah, I played Sim City 4 recently but I know next to nothing about the major changes so I don't think I'll be going hardcore just yet, maybe on city 2 or something. I'll also be a bit late to join in as Australia gets it on Thursday, though my city neighbour Jintor is in the same vote.

So stuff like fire, police, water, ect can organized on a multicity level too? I had no idea.

Top Bottom