• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Megasoum

Banned
I got my GMG SimCity key when I bought it on March 1st. It showed up instantly on my Games and/or Keys section of the website. I never got any email warning me about it. (was hoping EA would fix my account issue on Origin so I could buy directly from them, but it's been one month since I opened my ticked and they didn't give a fuck).

Yeah they always do that. Once they get the keys a little while before release they give it right away to people who pre-order from now on but people who bought it before only get it later in a batch email.

LegoDad

I'm ready, I caved because I don't see the price coming down quickly.

MVfTXY0.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is one game where I actually enjoy watching people livestream. It's so relaxing.

SimCity is about the epitope of non-confrontational gaming. There's no enemy, no fighting, not much demands from the game. It's great. Plus, it's not like you ruin the fun for yourself by watching it (as opposed to watching playthroughs of more linear or quest-based games).

Is TB playing again today? :x

I'm ready, I caved because I don't see the price coming down quickly.

MVfTXY0.png

You should've ordered on GMG, it's cheaper :x

Smiley90

Rather see his wife play she's far more competent and doesn't behave like a cunt.

About that... from TB:

I'd heard that there were groups like this but I'd never experienced them for myself. I grew up playing a lot of management/simulation games on a very casual basis. As someone who has severe organizational issues due to dyspraxia, I enjoyed but could never master such games, but that's was ok, because single-player is where you get to express your creativity and just have fun on your own without anyone else judging you.

Until yesterday. You have to laugh really, there's no other way to handle that kind of nonsense. It's very hard to rationalize, as a grown adult, the notion that so many people would actively get upset that someone wasn't playing the videogame the way they ordained it must be played. The notion that someone who had never played that version of the game before and whose last experience with Sim City was years ago with Sim City 4 on a fairly casual basis, could play perfectly immediately without any prior experience or indeed that as someone who critiques for a living, I am not allowed to criticize any element of the game and any criticism I do have is actually my fault not the games.

It's safe to say that the subreddit does not represent the majority of Sim City players. Regardless of how obsessive or elitist those people are, the vast majority of Sim City players have always been casual. Sim City is a game with very little stress involved that is highly rewarding, in which you are never really judged by anyone outside of the game. There are no expectations beyond what your citizens and yourself impose upon you and that is a wonderful thing since there are all too many games that insist on pushing you along at their pace or require you to keep up with your team-mates. Sim City is one of the original casual games, but also happens to have great depth, this version even more so do the adoptation of specializations and supply-chain like mechanics from games such as The Settlers and Anno. Unfortunately, that also means you are going to get people that are anally-retentative who claim "YOU MUST PLAY THIS CREATIVE GAME MY WAY OR YOU ARE HITLER". Combine that with the heady and potent jealousy on display in that subreddit last night that someone less obsessive than them had access to the game that they "DIDN'T DESERVE" and you can see why last night happened.

Overall it's a lesson in what happens when fanboys go berserk and yet more in the mountains of evidence that fandom is a ultimately destructive and negative force within almost any scene.

Ceebs

About that... from TB:

And it is pretty spot on. It is one thing to get frustrated watching someone fumble around when the game is telling them exactly what to do, but to say they are playing wrong is just crazy. The most hardcore of any community that acts like that will just scare off the more casual fans. Just look at all the fighting game nonsense from last year.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
And it is pretty spot on. It is one thing to get frustrated watching someone fumble around when the game is telling them exactly what to do, but to say they are playing wrong is just crazy. The most hardcore of any community that acts like that will just scare off the more casual fans. Just look at all the fighting game nonsense from last year.

Yep. I watched all three hours of TB's video, and yeah he seems extremely noobish to Sim City, while his wife seems much more competent. But it's ridiculous to get upset over that, lol. People play games their own way, and if the video upsets someone then they should just stop watching. Problem solved.

It was a good three hour vid though, the game came across very well in it and I enjoyed watching it.

Smiley90

It's funny, because SimCity is a game where it's pretty much impossible to play it "wrong". You can easily tell when somebody plays CoD/LoL/whatever wrong, but SimCity? The game is literally about making mistakes and playing around, hence the ever-so-popular disasters.

Even with the $20 credit/gift card offer?

Ooh I didn't realize you ordered physical, then never mind ;)

Yep. I watched all three hours of TB's video, and yeah he seems extremely noobish to Sim City, while his wife seems much more competent. But it's ridiculous to get upset over that, lol. People play games their own way, and if the video upsets someone then they should just stop watching. Problem solved.

It was a good three hour vid though, the game came across very well in it and I enjoyed watching it.

I think the thing is that most people who watch live streams of SimCIty are HUGE fans of the series and waiting for release, while he admitted to never really playing it due to dyspraxia (which is, I googled, neurological problems with planning/organization), so I guess people just couldn't BELIEVE people can "struggle" with the game and make "wrong" choices, despite there being no actual wrong choices. Just let him play and enjoy himself, I say. If you don't want to watch, then don't watch.

EvilPengy

Banned
What's the price for Sim City on GMG in the UK? Thinking of grabbing this and I can't check what the price is with discount atm

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Unacceptable in this day and age.

They way they've been talking about the technical reasons behind the small areas (for example, there isn't enough memory for larger towns because the game is 32-bit instead of 64-bit), it sounds like it's going to be a much bigger deal than just a little expansion pack. At this point I'd expect that next year we'll get a full-priced "SimCity 2: Megalopolis" or some such that has higher minimum system specs but supports larger cities.

The smaller city size is to make the game more casual-friendly, I think. It could certainly limit the simulation complexity with cities divided into small chunks and abstracted out into simple production/worker/etc numbers, but I don't think that's the real driving factor behind the decision.

Smiley90

Tattooth

What's the price for Sim City on GMG in the UK? Thinking of grabbing this and I can't check what the price is with discount atm

It's 36.99, but Amazon has the boxed copy for 34.99. But that means you won't be able to unlock it early, unless they deliver it early.

Discovery Delta 1 Players!

I've sent friend invites to all of you that have IDs listed. We're still missing 8bit's Origin ID though.

If you got an invite from Cannibalchef please accept it, it's me :)

Omiee, as the new guy you're in an important spot in Sawyer's Crossing. I hope you're ready to pump out resources for the rest of us :)

Smiley90

Origin ID: AGKBrooklyn

Just a heads up that I may not be able to accept requests and invite until the evening of the 5th. I'll try to get on for the midnight release, but I don't know if my schedule will permit.

I should be good for some late night running on the 5th and 6th. Schedule clears up a lot after the 7th. Can't wait!

This quote is for Murphy to add to the list ;)

I think what happened was a lot of "backseat driving." We've all had people complain to us about how we drive, and we've all told certain drivers they drive crazy. It's a unique thing that happens when someone drives/plays a game in a manner that we aren't accustomed to. On top of that, you have the veil of anonymity provided by the internet, which results in people scolding/insulting him for "not playing right." Quite unfortunate.

I got caught up in the whole Amazon thing. Due to a glitch in the system (or maybe the glitch is in the Matrix) I ended up getting $10 off with the initial email.

I then emailed customer service, who said they would give me a further $10 off with my next purchase, so basically my total discount amounts to the same, except I wont get everything with my current Simcity order.

I'm not totally happy with this situation, but I'm wondering if it's worth the bother to call them, considering I'm not actually in the US and I preordered from the US site. Of course, that's also technically a breach of some rules somewhere, but from my understanding Amazon never bother with that.

I'm spending most of my time watching youtube videos of the 4 hour beta load test.

I am learning a lot about how this game plays but some of these guys are not really watchable. No planning. One guy I watched kept talking about making his roads organic 4 videos later I learned how stupid that was since he had no room for any of his extensions or major things like stadium.

I guess I am learning from those mistakes as well ... sad about the mac version since I am totally sold on this game now

saunderez

I got caught up in the whole Amazon thing. Due to a glitch in the system (or maybe the glitch is in the Matrix) I ended up getting $10 off with the initial email.

I then emailed customer service, who said they would give me a further $10 off with my next purchase, so basically my total discount amounts to the same, except I wont get everything with my current Simcity order.

I'm not totally happy with this situation, but I'm wondering if it's worth the bother to call them, considering I'm not actually in the US and I preordered from the US site. Of course, that's also technically a breach of some rules somewhere, but from my understanding Amazon never bother with that.

Weird. I demanded the CAGROCKS discount be applied to my new order and they just gave me $20 worth of promotional credit which I applied when I reordered the game. I just used the email support to they were suprisingly fast and helpful. I'm not in the US either, but meh, money is money to them.

Fixed1979

Alright, on the off chance that MetalMurphy can't do the region invites tomorrow I've sent out Origin invites to everyone in Viridian Woods (1).

We're still missing DTKT though...he's never actually even posted in this thread so it might be a replacement situation.

EvilPengy

Banned
It's 36.99, but Amazon has the boxed copy for 34.99. But that means you won't be able to unlock it early, unless they deliver it early.

Hmmmm, thanks for that.

I'm not too fussed about getting it on day of release, was thinking of picking it up later in the week. What do you guys think, will the price drop in the next few weeks?

Tmac

Not entire but this is the closest I have found:

City borders look pretty awkward with tall buildings ending just like that.

If it's as fun as Sim city 2000 i dont really care.. and with online play it whould be like sim city on steroids!

Sao+Jose+1996.jpg

Tmac

Discovery Delta 3
--------------------

Spud8ud
plastik2k12
Yogloo
Tekezy
OblastSRT4
CheeseTom (please check if misspeled)
nurve7
PelegrinuX
rmr2020
WoodenLung
Theandrin
AppleMIXX
swirlyglasses1
flashburn2012
Zona221
Munroe4985

Who wants to creat the region?

-----------

It whould be cool if we had a spreadsheet for all region with some basic information (one sheet for each region) like specialization, plans, etc for each player/city.

Who ever creates just make sure you won't be quiting the game after 2 weeks, and take not on what regional server you're creating. You'll all need to be on the same regional server. I don't think it'll matter much if you're from Europe and playing int the US, it's not like this game will have low latency requirements.

saunderez

Worked out better that Amazon cancelled my order. Got it for 40 instead of 45 after their "sorry" $5 coupon.

Yeah I wonder if they expected most people to crack the shits and demand their discount back. I still think the whole thing was bullshit, if they can "inadvertently cancel" an order the could just as easily reinstate it.

Tmac

Worked out better that Amazon cancelled my order. Got it for 40 instead of 45 after their "sorry" $5 coupon.

I had it cancelled because my local origin had a better deal. Same price as amazon with the cagrocks coupom and a US20 credit on my next purcharse...

But... amazon still gave me the $5,00 credit! Amazon rocks :)

Ceebs

Who ever creates just make sure you won't be quiting the game after 2 weeks, and take not on what regional server you're creating. You'll all need to be on the same regional server. I don't think it'll matter much if you're from Europe and playing int the US, it's not like this game will have low latency requirements.

Assuming you will be creating our region? (VW1)

Top Bottom