• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

BearPawB

Banned
How impossible is a merger of coal town, iron town, and tourist seaside town? I haven't yet gotten a sense of just how overbearing the pollution will be.

One thing that I'm worried about is most of the developer videos, beta 3 videos, and lets all be mayor videos show its way too easy to remain profitable. With a thousand stupid decisions in the Lets All Be Mayor series, the cities operated most of the time in the black without any problem. I've heard that the difficulty mostly kicks in once a resource-rich town runs out of resources, but with the money coming in so easily in these videos budget-balancing seems so unimportant.

The lets be mayor videos were done in sandbox mode, where it's much easier/faster to remain profitable

Jhriad

I am pretty sure it works on anything sold on Amazon.com. It is just general Amazon credit.

Yes, if it's an Amazon credit, it works on anything Amazon sells and distributes themselves. It only doesn't work for stuff that is carried by their partners.

That's not what the promotional credit says:

Order "SimCity" and receive a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including but not limited to Kindle books, Gift Cards, and Amazon Appstore for Android apps)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The lets be mayor videos were done in sandbox mode, where it's much easier/faster to remain profitable

Additionally, the betas had the difficulty purposely scaled down, so that people would have it easier to experiment with stuff.

Jedi2016

One thing that I'm worried about is most of the developer videos, beta 3 videos, and lets all be mayor videos show its way too easy to remain profitable. With a thousand stupid decisions in the Lets All Be Mayor series, the cities operated most of the time in the black without any problem. I've heard that the difficulty mostly kicks in once a resource-rich town runs out of resources, but with the money coming in so easily in these videos budget-balancing seems so unimportant.
That's one thing I noticed real quick playing some SC4 (is anyone else doing this?)

Anyway, I just picked up the game the other day, and even playing through a small-area city on Easy (I'm just playing for fun, after all, not challenge), it was really easy for the budget to get away from me, and suddenly things didn't pan out so well for ol' Newbsville.

I'm also wondering how well the cities will work with each other. Is it possible to make a high-income city like Las Vegas, pulling in all of its resources from the surrounding cities? Like having an entire city dedicated to generating insane amounts of power to sell to the rest of the region? And what about inter-city travel? Can I make a large residential city, and have them all drive to the next city over for work? Questions, questions, too many questions. Worst case, I can just try all this once I figure out how it all works next week.

Smiley90

That's one thing I noticed real quick playing some SC4 (is anyone else doing this?)

Anyway, I just picked up the game the other day, and even playing through a small-area city on Easy (I'm just playing for fun, after all, not challenge), it was really easy for the budget to get away from me, and suddenly things didn't pan out so well for ol' Newbsville.

I'm also wondering how well the cities will work with each other. Is it possible to make a high-income city like Las Vegas, pulling in all of its resources from the surrounding cities? Like having an entire city dedicated to generating insane amounts of power to sell to the rest of the region? And what about inter-city travel? Can I make a large residential city, and have them all drive to the next city over for work? Questions, questions, too many questions. Worst case, I can just try all this once I figure out how it all works next week.

Yes, and yes.

You can share:

Shoppers, Workers, Students
Utilities (Sewage, Garbage, Recycling, Water, Power, Fire, Ambulance, Police, anything really)
Benefits from HQ's (specializations, university, city hall)
Resources (through trading of both natural resources, as well as processed resources such as alloys)
Money

and... yeah pretty much anything. :p

in the future dlc, i would love to see these additions:

bigger city!
subways, high speed rail
able to combine commercial and residential
asia pack
able to make districts - bring some personality to ur city
seaports/warfs - i want me sims to cruise the boardwalks and eat clam chowder
professional sport teams

what else?

WOW! After seeing the screenshots for this my interest has piqued. The last sim/building game I played was Viva Pinata 1 & 2 and before that was the original Theme Park (PC). I used to love these sorts of games but I switched to console only gaming around the time graphics cards became a requirement for pc games. Anyways I recently made a new PC (when Diablo III came out) with the following specs:

Intel i5 3550 3.30ghz with GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 graphics.

Any chance my pc will be able to run it like the screens from the OP? I love isometric perspective in games.....so much detail.

Xander51

WOW! After seeing the screenshots for this my interest has piqued. The last sim/building game I played was Viva Pinata 1 & 2 and before that was the original Theme Park (PC). I used to love these sorts of games but I switched to console only gaming around the time graphics cards became a requirement for pc games. Anyways I recently made a new PC (when Diablo III came out) with the following specs:

Intel i5 3550 3.30ghz with GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 graphics.

Any chance my pc will be able to run it like the screens from the OP? I love isometric perspective in games.....so much detail.

With those specs the game should run fairly well.

in the future dlc, i would love to see these additions:

bigger city!
subways, high speed rail
able to combine commercial and residential
asia pack
able to make districts - bring some personality to ur city
seaports/warfs - i want me sims to cruise the boardwalks and eat clam chowder
professional sport teams

what else?

theme parks. and highways that will work without a hill.

Raven77

Someone mentioned getting the digital download version off of amazon for $45.

How?

What place has the cheapest digital version available to people in the U.S.?

Smiley90

Someone mentioned getting the digital download version off of amazon for $45.

How?

What place has the cheapest digital version available to people in the U.S.?

Amazon had a code until Feb 28th that made it cheaper, not anymore.

Atm, your cheapest offer will probably be greenmangaming for 49.99

ghostmind

Thinking of picking this one up, however if I order it from Amazon (and get the $20 credit) I won't have it for 2 weeks.

GMG is showing me $7 cash back or $10 credit, neither of which is enticing.

Origin mentions a $20 credit, but I cannot bring up the page that lists which games are applicable - can anyone provide a link?

pahamrick

ghostmind

Thanks for the link - nothing of interest in that Origin sale then.

So if I get this game 2 weeks late then are you all going to be so far ahead of me that there isn't much point, or will be adding new GAF zones post-release for latecomers such as myself?

mavs

So if I get this game 2 weeks late then are you all going to be so far ahead of me that there isn't much point, or will be adding new GAF zones post-release for latecomers such as myself?

It's SimCity, there's not really any way to 'fall behind'.

Sober

So if I preorder it on GMG and go for the 10$ credit, do I get it right away seeing as it seems as they are handing out keys already?

Sober

I bought it last July and no key here.
Yeah GMG is actually pretty terrible with preorders and hands them out as soon as they get them rather than to those who preordered first. I'll still preorder from them but probably only after I know they have keys to give out rather than sitting on my hands waiting for them.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood

Realistically, people are going to screw up their initial cities as they learn the game anyway. I'm sure there will be some turnover and people wanting to start up new regions.

Arksy

Can someone confirm deny for me, I haven't paid much attention....but I've heard...

- No modding at all, ever
- Always online
- No landscaping
- Limited tile/model set
- No custom maps
- No solo play, you have to think about what griefers around you are doing
- Very small towns

I'm asking because this is what I've heard but I wanted someone to confirm once and for all so I can either buy or miss.

Thanks!

Smiley90

Can someone confirm deny for me, I haven't paid much attention....but I've heard...

- No modding at all, ever wrong, confirmed to happen.
- Always online true, but there's a ~10min grace period for disconnects/reconnects
- No landscaping true, not in the game (but possibly expansions)
- Limited tile/model set true, but there's like 8 regions with up to 16 cities/region, so a ton of variety
- No custom maps true, but see above, possibly region creator as expansion, but that's speculation on my part
- No solo play, you have to think about what griefers around you are doing wrong, there is definitely solo play, multiplayer is purely optional
- Very small towns define very small, it's how the game was made. smaller than simcity4, yes, but a much better simulation engine. city size is limited by hardware capabilities. larger cities will probably come via expansion (was confirmed as likely to happen)

I'm asking because this is what I've heard but I wanted someone to confirm once and for all so I can either buy or miss.

Thanks!

Edited into it!

mavs

- No modding at all, ever
- Always online
- No landscaping
- Limited (to Maxis originals) tile/model set
- No custom maps
- No solo play, you have to think about what griefers around you are doing
- Very small towns

Thanks!

pahamrick

Very much appreciated. Could you recommend this game one way or another? Is it still a blast? Or does it feel neutered?

I got to play in Beta 2, and it was a blast. I much prefer the different simulation and more personal feel of the city. But, to each their own.

Smiley90

Very much appreciated. Could you recommend this game one way or another? Is it still a blast? Or does it feel neutered?

It's definitely different than SimCity 4, but I'd say for the better. The new simulation engine is AMAZING, and, having played all 3 betas, I can say it was very challenging and fun to play around with the engine and see what it can do. The game also looks great. I'd say if you like SimCity and are open to creating multiple specialized, unique cities in a region and appreciate the game for a new, separate game, then go for it. If you want to play it like SimCity 4 and just make one massive city with everything and don't care about the engine/data-layers, you'll probably struggle.

I'd recommend it for sure, though. It's a lot deeper than previous games, despite at first looking like there's less content.

Arksy

It's definitely different than SimCity 4, but I'd say for the better. The new simulation engine is AMAZING, and, having played all 3 betas, I can say it was very challenging and fun to play around with the engine and see what it can do. The game also looks great. I'd say if you like SimCity and are open to creating multiple specialized, unique cities in a region and appreciate the game for a new, separate game, then go for it. If you want to play it like SimCity 4 and just make one massive city with everything and don't care about the engine/data-layers, you'll probably struggle.

I'd recommend it for sure, though. It's a lot deeper than previous games, despite at first looking like there's less content.

Thank you, again. The fact that modding will come sooner or later to me, says that whatever faults there are with the game in regard to small maps or limtied tile sets will be a thing of the past once the tools come out. I might have to try this out after all. It was basically the mod tools which were make or break for me.

Smiley90

Thank you, again. The fact that modding will come sooner or later to me, says that whatever faults there are with the game in regard to small maps or limtied tile sets will be a thing of the past once the tools come out. I might have to try this out after all. It was basically the mod tools which were make or break for me.

See this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48754479&postcount=1650

for developer-quotes on why the city size is limited. Also, I don't have it at hand, but they confirmed that bigger cities in the future are probably coming, as well as confirmed that the game was made to be moddable.

pahamrick

Seriously, fuck GMG. Wtf is this?

That was always my biggest issue with GMG. Whenever they actually loaded the keys into the system, they weren't sent out to people who pre-ordered until a certain time but anyone who purchased after always got their key immediately.

Sober

Seriously, fuck GMG. Wtf is this?
Yeah, I stopped buying prepurchases from GMG unless people have started to get their keys. This always happens, where they get the keys and anyone who buys from them will get their key right away while people who've preordered months earlier have to wait.

Smiley90

I wonder if I'd get my key instantly if I contacted their support. I pre-ordered in December :(

pahamrick

I wonder if I'd get my key instantly if I contacted their support. I pre-ordered in December :(

I wouldn't count on it, the one time I had to contact their support was during a game sale because they wouldn't take my paypal or credit card. I didn't hear back from them until 4 days after the sale had already ended.

Pandemic

Not sure if this has been posted, was released two days ago, a SimCity LAN party, and shows each player working together with their cities and helping each other in the one region.
LINK

Worth watching.

gamma

Yeah I pre ordered when they had a 25% off voucher which is a good deal. But I didn't know they treat their customers like this. Someone should put a warning in the GMG thread.

mavs

wow. My first and last time buying from them. If Amazon still had the voucher I'd demand a refund from GMG.

I can't say I'd go that far...

s3w3k6d.png

I think I could have had an even better deal a few days later.

Smiley90

I can't say I'd go that far...

s3w3k6d.png

I think I could have had an even better deal a few days later.

SimCity Limited Edition (NA) $39.00
Payment type:
Original Credit value: $0.00
Total $39.00

ha, same here. ;)

Smiley90

Guillaume Pierre
&#8207;@MaxisGuillaume
Less than 12 hours until @simcity goes live (in Asia)!!

This has been confirmed by maxis... I wonder what this means for VPN's.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9329970.page

ZmgIbtW.jpg

11pm Singapore = 7am PST.... 1 hour pre-load, so we'll probably get something similar. So potentially we're looking at people being able to unlock and play at 8am PST, if it works via Asian VPN? Anyone mind trying that out? :p

Top Bottom