• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Pandemic

Would it make more sense to open each region once the game has been released in all countries, allowing everyone to start off at the same time, rather than the 2 day difference between some players within the region? In the meantime play the single-player or something?

Just an idea.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder how the Maxis servers will react to VPNs. Sure downloading the 300megs installer on Origin will work but who knows if the proper game download will.

SLV

We could also ask some of the gaffers here that work for Maxis - but I aint sure they will answer :p

Probably not, the different release days, that are not influenced by different time zones, is just plain old bullshit that lead to such workaround shenanigans !

3 hours and 15 minutes to go for the preload.
1 more hour for the game unlocking.

I hope it works!

Hopefully, should tho

pahamrick

Looks like the retail discs for SimCity are only about 2 gigs large. So unless there's still a large download after the fact, shouldn't be too much to download despite the 10 gigs listed on the requirements page.

Pachael

I think you're being optimistic thinking the servers will be working well over the first week

I expect a lot of waiting for servers like in the first beta, first to download and then to play. :( I'd pre-ordered, so expect these perils, but even then...

gamma

Would it make more sense to open each region once the game has been released in all countries, allowing everyone to start off at the same time, rather than the 2 day difference between some players within the region? In the meantime play the single-player or something?

Just an idea.

Hm, that sounds like a good idea. It would be be nice if everyone started at the same time but I don't know what the guys who get it early think about it.

pahamrick

Question for those who may know. Since there's no pre-load, and if you pre-ordered direct from Origin, it doesn't seem they've actually billed and attached keys to the account (My product key is still all X's on the game list) wouldn't that mean even using a VPN wouldn't unlock the game early since there isn't a product key yet?

SLV

Question for those who may know. Since there's no pre-load, and if you pre-ordered direct from Origin, it doesn't seem they've actually billed and attached keys to the account (My product key is still all X's on the game list) wouldn't that mean even using a VPN wouldn't unlock the game early since there isn't a product key yet?

That would be a low move by EA if so, but i am starting to fear that you might be right.... If so, i could have saved 20 euros buying from GMG -_-

ekim

I guess you will get the key attached once you login from a country where the game is actually released.

I pre ordered the deluxe version from origin and I have it in my games list grayed out

pahamrick

That would be a low move by EA if so, but i am starting to fear that you might be right.... If so, i could have saved 20 euros buying from GMG -_-

I don't know if I'd consider it a low move, but it'd definitely be disappointing.

I guess you will get the key attached once you login from a country where the game is actually released.

I hope that's how it works, I recall reading that the SimCity CD Keys are World Wide so shouldn't be any region locking.

I pre ordered the deluxe version from origin and I have it in my games list grayed out

I've got it grayed out in my games list too, but there's no product key attached. It's just all X's, I seem to recall having a product key already when a game could be pre-loaded.

syoaran

Hopefully tonight people can confirm if VPN'ing will work, will probably pick up the digital version of the game if so. Anyone going to be livestreaming?

GKB

Looks like the retail discs for SimCity are only about 2 gigs large. So unless there's still a large download after the fact, shouldn't be too much to download despite the 10 gigs listed on the requirements page.

Wow, that really sucks, i need about a week to download 10gigs of file.

Wes

venison crêpe
I apologise if I'm covering old ground but I'm trying to get some clarity on the issue...

So ordering from GMG right now is likely to give you a CD Key by e-mail almost immediately?

Some shop here in Italy will have the game tomorrow... I really tempted to buy the game early and try to play as soon as I get home.

There's some trick to play the game tomorrow despite in EU the official realease is two day after?

I apologise if I'm covering old ground but I'm trying to get some clarity on the issue...

So ordering from GMG right now is likely to give you a CD Key by e-mail almost immediately?

No, it's a shit shoot. You might, but they only guarentee that you'll get it by release (which they deem to be the UK release on the 8th).

Darkky

My pre-order from Amazon has been shipped! It should be here by tomorrow. Ahh so I guess those in Singapore will get to play it in 3 hours?

That might be why, as it comes 2-3 days earlier out in the US than Europe/Uk
That is what i like to think anyway as i could have saved 20 Euros otherwise

Ah. I've honestly never had an issue with GMG. The latest I've ever received a key was release day and with SimCity I don't think it matters since there is no preload anyway. Tomorrow should be a fun day with everyone hammering their servers...

Singapore Origin unlock is in roughly 2 hours. I used one with Syndicate and BF3 and they never said a thing about it, don't expect this time to be much different. Looking forward to wasting my week on this game.

Soi-Fong

Singapore Origin unlock is in roughly 2 hours. I used one with Syndicate and BF3 and they never said a thing about it, don't expect this time to be much different. Looking forward to wasting my week on this game.

Soo. You just use a VPN from Singapore? Eithet way Amazon users like me have to wait for their keys.

SLV

VI2ZHZc.jpg

1 and a half hours

pahamrick

Heads up for our Mac users, the following was posted on the EA Singapore facebook page.

just curious, if i preorder the PC version (origin), will i be able to get the mac version as well? or i have to seperately purchase the mac version?

Electronic Arts (EA) Singapore Hi guys, please note that the Mac version will be sold separately.

Top Bottom