• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

pahamrick

I am just bitter that it did not work with my European bought origin game ; _ ;

Yeah, sadly looks like until you have the product key added to your Origin account VPN won't work at all. Used a free VPN I had found and it still said Not Yet Released. Oh well, I can wait --- just wanted to unlock early if possible since I'm laid up with a badly sprained ankle.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do you have a key noted in your origin's game details page?
Yeah, sadly looks like until you have the product key added to your Origin account VPN won't work at all. Used a free VPN I had found and it still said Not Yet Released. Oh well, I can wait --- just wanted to unlock early if possible since I'm laid up with a badly sprained ankle.

It seems I'm a special case: I bought SimCity 5 on GMG using a US VPN on March 1st. I instantly got a key. I registered it on my Origin on that same date and the game is there, on my gamelist, saying it'll be unlocked in 14 hours (my region proper unlock).

I hopped on a Singapore VPN and the game, which was unavailable on my regular Brazilian IP, was available for download on the Singapore IP. I started downloading it, but I was getting shitty speeds (around 30k/sec) because of the VPN.

Without stopping the download, I turned my VPN off. I'm still getting shitty transfer speeds (mostly because I'm probably downloading from the Singapore server). However, I'm just downloading the front end (around 200 megs). I'll let it finish and see what is up.

If I reload origin with my Regular Brazilian IP, the game will revert to the "locked" status. You need an IP from the region which the game is unlocked to launch it.

When installing, Origin told me the game uses 12 gigs.

ekim

What free VPN did you use?

pahamrick

It seems I'm a special case: I bought SimCity 5 on GMG using a US VPN on March 1st. I instantly got a key. I registered it on my Origin on that same date and the game is there, on my gamelist, saying it'll be unlocked in 14 hours (my region proper unlock).

I hopped on a Singapore VPN and the game, which was unavailable on my regular Brazilian IP, was available for download on the Singapore IP. I started downloading it, but I was getting shitty speeds (around 30k/sec) because of the VPN.

Without stopping the download, I turned my VPN off. I'm still getting shitty transfer speeds (mostly because I'm probably downloading from the Singapore server). However, I'm just downloading the front end (around 200 megs). I'll let it finish and see what is up.

If I reload origin with my Regular Brazilian IP, the game will revert to the "locked" status. You need an IP from the region which the game is unlocked to launch it.

When installing, Origin told me the game uses 12 gigs.

I have the game purchased directly from Origin, and I just get XXXXXXXXXXXX under my product key still and EA has yet to actually charge for the purchase.

What free VPN did you use?

http://www.hideman.net/

You get 5 free hours to use per week, and it includes several server options.

pahamrick

I actually already paid Origin via PayPal

Yeah, but until they actually process the order it's not considered paid. Check your order status in Origin (Help > Order Status) and if it's still Order Submitted they haven't actually processed the payment yet.

sugarless

But I want it now!

ijK6W6K5mdFxY.gif

That woman's tongue at the top-right... Cannot stop watching...

ekim

Yeah, but until they actually process the order it's not considered paid. Check your order status in Origin (Help > Order Status) and if it's still Order Submitted they haven't actually processed the payment yet.

So I could cancel that order?

Just about to install Simcity 4 and get back into the swing of things, hopefully I get my key tomorrow and everything goes without a hitch. Though I am not sure how long downloading it via a VPN will take.

Fingers crossed.

Addnan

Purchased from GMG on the 6th Feb, still no key. Not that it matters much since I am not allowed to play it until the 8th (Damn you UK), but would be nice to have the key.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Purchased from GMG on the 6th Feb, still no key. Not that it matters much since I am not allowed to play it until the 8th (Damn you UK), but would be nice to have the key.

Apparently, everybody that bought keys from GMG the past week (24February to 1st March) instantly got their keys.

People that bought earlier than that are susceptible to the release date information of their region.

Edit: Funny realization: I usually have a Brazilian IP on Origin, I constantly register US-Only serial keys on Origin, I'm trying to unlock a game using a Singapore IP on Origin. No wonder my account is flagged as suspicious fraud (I can't purchase anything on Origin - any payment option is instantly not authorized).

Apparently, everybody that bought keys from GMG the past week (24February to 1st March) instantly got their keys.

People that bought earlier than that are susceptible to the release date information of their region.

Edit: Funny realization: I usually have a Brazilian IP on Origin, I constantly register US-Only serial keys on Origin, I'm trying to unlock a game using a Singapore IP on Origin. No wonder my account is flagged as suspicious fraud (I can't purchase anything on Origin - any payment option is instantly not authorized).

Bought it yesterday and I did not get a key yet. Like I said, it's a shit shoot. The only thing they guarantee is that you'll get a key by release.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Bought it yesterday and I did not get a key yet. Like I said, it's a shit shoot. The only thing they guarantee is that you'll get a key by release.

Did you check your "Keys" area on your account on the GreenManGaming website? I didn't get any email or anything, but the key showed instantly on there.

The game also shows up on the "Games" area of my account.

I know that sometimes GMG doesn't give the key right away (I only got my "The Cave" key one day after it was released on Steam), but I'm just wondering if people are double checking on the right spot.

Did you check your "Keys" area on your account on the GreenManGaming website? I didn't get any email or anything, but the key showed instantly on there.

The game also shows up on the "Games" area of my account.

I know that sometimes GMG doesn't give the key right away (I only got my "The Cave" key one day after it was released on Steam), but I'm just wondering if people are double checking on the right spot.

Checking that shit ten times a day.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't like the way EA turns their servers off - are we even going to be able to play this game in 5 years when they try to force everyone to the next game?

Eh, we'll see...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
facetiousness aside, you know what I mean.

I do like the irony of people on a internet message board complaining about how a game that's aimed at online interactions requires you to be online to play.

I really don't want to ever live in this region of the planet where you do have internet that's capable of downloading 12 gigs, but it's so unreliable that the though of being online to play a game is unbearable.

If you're trying to make a point (for instance, this is a bad thing because if your servers ever go down, we won't be able to play the game), I can understand, and I applaud you for behaving that way. I'm not that strong minded. I also think that's a lost battle, but this isn't the place for that discussion.

However, most PC Games are not "future proof", be either draconian online DRMs or simply incompatibility between running environments (read: Operational Systems). However, that's the great thing about PCs: The community is there to pick up the slack, and somebody will someday figure out how to remove the Online requirement (afaik, everything on your city is processed locally, only regional stuff is processed on the servers). They did it in Assassin's Creed 2.

froliq

GMG offers the UK game to all of Europe I believe, you even see the price in pounds change to your own currency at checkout. There are probably different set of keys and the UK version releases on March 8 while the US one releases on March 5. The store page on GMG while accesing from NA even says "SimCity Limited Edition (NA)". Now this doesn't mean keys are region locked or anything, since GMG has this for more games on their site.

Of course someone with the UK version could now post saying he got their key and proving me wrong.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GMG offers the UK game to all of Europe I believe, you even see the price in pounds change to your own currency at checkout. There are probably different set of keys and the UK version releases on March 8 while the US one releases on March 5. The store page on GMG while accesing from NA even says "SimCity Limited Edition (NA)". Now this doesn't mean keys are region locked or anything, since GMG has this for more games on their site.

Of course someone with the UK version could now post saying he got their key and proving me wrong.

The key I got from GMG was for the NA version of the game (as I used a US vpn to buy it).

but you kinda need it to connect at startup.

Not true, you only need to be online once (& run the game once) and then you can stick it on offline mode. Also, if your internet connection drops, the game will continue as normal without a complaint (unlike Sim City, which will boot you to a "No playing until you reconnect" screen. Ditto if EA's servers crash, which will happen often in the next 7-14 days).

froliq

The key I got from GMG was for the NA version of the game (as I used a US vpn to buy it).

Yeah, forgot to say they are sending out NA keys only and not the UK ones most likely. However the pre-ordering early and getting your key later than the ones that buy 1 day before release is totally true with them.

Not true, you only need to be online once (& run the game once) and then you can stick it on offline mode. Also, if your internet connection drops, the game will continue as normal without a complaint (unlike Sim City, which will boot you to a "No playing until you reconnect" screen. Ditto if EA's servers crash, which will happen often in the next 7-14 days).

if you can make it through the log in screen ;P

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this? - Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.

After spending around a dozen hours each playing the game this weekend, Microsoft editor Peter Bright (who considers himself a bit of a SimCity die-hard) and I were pretty disappointed with what we found. What follows is edited excerpts from the various conversations we had over instant messaging this weekend, discussing how we were finding our initial time with the game. We'll have a more detailed review later when we've had a chance to try out the final release, complete with all the globally connected, Internet-enabled features EA has been playing up, but just going by first impressions, maybe EA shouldn't have messed with its successful city building formula quite so much.

Think I'm going to go ahead and cancel my preorder. I am dissapoint.

depths20XX

I don't really understand how the online works in this game. How does it benefit you to play with other people and do you communicate while you're playing?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't really understand how the online works in this game. How does it benefit you to play with other people and do you communicate while you're playing?

Your city is part of a region. That region has other cities. Those other cities can be crated by other players. You interact with them by selling/buying resources (energy, water, waste). The cities in a region work together to create big things in that region (Parks, Airports, Factories) that one city couldn't alone fund. All the cities in the region reap the benefits of said Structure.

YES, you can create all the cities in a region yourself, and manage them, but not at the same time. I don't know what they're calling that in game, but that's the "Single Player" portion of the game. Their excuse for the always online DRM is that the game was created with multiplayer in mind (as in, multiple players managing multiple cities in a region), and that's how you should play it.

You share resources across regions and basically everyones goal within that region is to build a great wonder which provides benefits for the whole region. Communication I believe happens through a chat window just for the specific region.

Raven77

Two questions:

Where is the cheapest place (either low price or credit when purchased, etc.) to buy this digitally (I guess in the u.s. since thats where im located, if it even matters)?

Do they anticipate server issues on day one?

I plan to take off work tomorrow for this (and other reasons) and don't want to waste a day off if I can't even get online.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
From reading the thread, There has been some issues with the GAF-Related region planning?

I didn't put my name in because I only played the first Beta and I don't really know what I'm doing in the game, so I didn't want to mess up somebody's region with my shitty restarting city because I placed the roads in the wrong order and I just want to restart.

How are we expected to play on the GAF Regions? Do we need to know what we're doing? If there's any spot open (as people needed relocation and didn't confirm their entries), I'm up for it, just be aware that I'll suck and hold that region back.

If there are no slots open (which I don't think there are) I'm fine, as I'd like to test the waters with "Alone Gameplay" before hopping on a shared region.

Two questions:

Where is the cheapest place (either low price or credit when purchased, etc.) to buy this digitally?

Do they anticipate server issues on day one?

I plan to take off work tomorrow for this (and other reasons) and don't want to waste a day off if I can't even get online.

The cheapest I have seen was at CDkeyhouse for only £26 but you will have to wait until March 8th/9th. I don't think anyone knows about server issues but my guess would be it will be awful, if Blizzard can't get something like that right I hardly doubt EA can.

Top Bottom