• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

ekim

From reading the thread, There has been some issues with the GAF-Related region planning?

I didn't put my name in because I only played the first Beta and I don't really know what I'm doing in the game, so I didn't want to mess up somebody's region with my shitty restarting city because I placed the roads in the wrong order and I just want to restart.

How are we expected to play on the GAF Regions? Do we need to know what we're doing? If there's any spot open (as people needed relocation and didn't confirm their entries), I'm up for it, just be aware that I'll suck and hold that region back.

If there are no slots open (which I don't think there are) I'm fine, as I'd like to test the waters with "Alone Gameplay" before hopping on a shared region.

How is your download going?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How is your download going?

Really slow. 16k/sec on the loader, but it's almost finished. I'll update the thread once it finishes and if/how can I load it and if the other, meatier download will start from within the loader or not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I adore Sim City, but I was taking my eyes off this because for some reason I thought there wasn't a Mac version.

But there is! Rejoice!

80 euros for the deluxe edition though :eep What's the consensus on the deluxe version...worth it?

It's overpriced, IMO, but I bought it anyway.

quick guide:

if you are poor - no buy

if you love love love Euro styles - buy

if you hate hate hate money grubbing DLC/preorder shenanigans - don't buy

if you are a min/max kind of player - probably buy

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The loader finished downloading. It has a second key verification sequence inside the loader itself. It says that it can't verify that my account has the game. It asks for me to either login on Origin with an account that has the game or enter my serial key.

When I try to input the key provided and registered on my account, it says the key was already used, and that I should login with an account that has the game, which I already am.

I'm guessing it can't verify the key because the game is not available on my region, which IP i'm using right now. I'm hopping on the Singapore VPN to see if it works that way.

Yes, with a Singapore IP the loader opens up without any alerts. So, people that want to unlock earlier, there's two layers of verification: One on the Origin Client itself, another one on SimCity's loader.

Now it's stuck on "Downloading Update Data", which probably means it'll download the game's 12 gig. I really can't be bothered to do that on this 60k/sec VPN.

I'm disconnecting from the VPN but not closing the loader. It didn't stop the downloading proccess, but changed into a "Processing Large File, please wait". I guess I'll get a pre-load out of this mess :D

The loader finished downloading. It has a second key verification sequence inside the loader itself. It says that it can't verify that my account has the game. It asks for me to either login on Origin with an account that has the game or enter my serial key.

When I try to input the key provided and registered on my account, it says the key was already used, and that I should login with an account that has the game, which I already am.

I'm guessing it can't verify the key because the game is not available on my region, which IP i'm using right now. I'm hopping on the Singapore VPN to see if it works that way.

Yes, with a Singapore IP the loader opens up without any alerts. So, people that want to unlock earlier, there's two layers of verification: One on the Origin Client itself, another one on SimCity's loader.

Now it's stuck on "Downloading Update Data", which probably means it'll download the game's 12 gig. I really can't be bothered to do that on this 60k/sec VPN.

I'm disconnecting from the VPN but not closing the loader. It didn't stop the downloading proccess, but changed into a "Processing Large File, please wait". I guess I'll get a pre-load out of this mess :D

Yea, I thought that VPNs usually dont allow huge throughput unless you pay a premium, I think i'll just hang balls till Friday comes around.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yea, I thought that VPNs usually dont allow huge throughput unless you pay a premium, I think i'll just hang balls till Friday comes around.

I'm using a paid service. WiTopia, for those that want to know. It allows you to change VPN servers (and thus, countries) without any extra payments. They aren't all that fast though.

As a side note, after starting the download proccess on the Singapore VPN and then killing the VPN connection, the loader is still up and downloading the game at 700k/sec (that's not me limiting the download, that's all the servers are giving me. I have a 50mbit connection). I got a makeshift pre-load out of this mess, and will probably be able to play once the game is downloaded, as long as I launch the loader using a Singapore IP.

Edit: That's interesting, EA uses Amazon Distributed Servers for... something. Both origin.exe and Simcity.exe are connecting to Amazon hosting servers.

Edit2: The game is being download from a Server in the US (San Diego, it seems), even though I started the process in Singapore (however, I did change ips in the middle of it, so the loader might've changed servers). Now all I can do is wait.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm in Tara Long's pre-review video she says that you have access to 8 regions to choose at the beginning of the game. Wasn't there more than that? I guess it means you don't have access to all of them from the beginning? Hopefully the 3 regions that MetalMurphy used will be there.

Raven77

Hopefully EA gets the message that basically every single review i've read or impression complains about the city size.

But then again, this seems to be EA's new thing. Battlefield 3 had small maps with gigantic wasted unplayable space surrounding them. I think they get off on this stuff...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hopefully EA gets the message that basically every single review i've read or impression complains about the city size.

But then again, this seems to be EA's new thing. Battlefield 3 had small maps with gigantic wasted unplayable space surrounding them. I think they get off on this stuff...

I really do believe they'll sell bigger city areas on future DLC. The "our engine can't do it on 3 gigs of ram" excuse is a perfect one. In 6 to 10 months they can say that they magically optimized their code and they can now provide an acceptable gameplay experience on bigger cities. All you have to do is pay us for this 30 bucks expansion!

Wow, there's fine print on the Origin $20 preorder coupon and it's only good for a specific list of older games - no Crysis 3 for me then, will see if I can cancel the preorder.

I made a couple of reddit threads about it - both got downvoted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19n6xw/check_the_fine_print_20_preorder_coupon_is_only/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19n7aq/simcity_preorder_20_coupon_may_be_worthless_to/

Yup, I posted this pages ago

ultron87

So if I start in some region and play with others but can't play a super large amount of time will I just be ruining it for my neighbors?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So if I start in some region and play with others but can't play a super large amount of time will I just be ruining it for my neighbors?

That's what I understand, yes. Your city doesn't evolve while you're not playing. If you play in a region with two other players and they play constantly, they'll eventually want to do the Big Structure thing, that requires money (resources?) from all the cities in a region. If your city is a small one and can't provide, they'll either have to pay/provide all the materials themselves or not be able to do it (I don't know how the Super Structure work/cost is divided between cities.).

That's why I didn't add my name on the GAF regions. I want to get a feel of the game first.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To those in Discovery Delta 1, who is creating the region? I won't be able to pre-load but if the DL goes live at midnight EST, I can get things going unless someone else wants to take that responsibility. I hope people are all in so we can have cities that thrive and help each other haha

pahamrick

Wow, there's fine print on the Origin $20 preorder coupon and it's only good for a specific list of older games - no Crysis 3 for me then, will see if I can cancel the preorder.

I made a couple of reddit threads about it - both got downvoted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19n6xw/check_the_fine_print_20_preorder_coupon_is_only/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19n7aq/simcity_preorder_20_coupon_may_be_worthless_to/

Not just old games, the code worked on the digital copy of Dead Space 3. Obviously doesn't help you since you wanted Crysis 3. I don't remember if Dead Space 3 even shows up on the list, either.

Is it just me or is this game with no save/load feature and the reliance on other neighbors for certain attributes (say power) open this game to massive griefing?

Example, I make a town, and make mad excess power to share with everyone. This lead to almost everyone relying on my town for power needs. A few hours later, just shut down all the plants, and watch the other cities crumble?

I don't know if this works in practice, but from some of the early reviewers impressions, it may work out this way. We'll have to see if on a global scale no one relies on "one city" for everything in the end.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is it just me or is this game with no save/load feature and the reliance on other neighbors for certain attributes (say power) open this game to massive griefing?

Example, I make a town, and make mad excess power to share with everyone. This lead to almost everyone relying on my town for power needs. A few hours later, just shut down all the plants, and watch the other cities crumble?

I don't know if this works in practice, but from some of the early reviewers impressions, it may work out this way. We'll have to see if on a global scale no one relies on "one city" for everything in the end.

You're not required to get resources from other cities. But yes, if the other person is a griefer, they can cut the power and screw you over.

To those in Discovery Delta 1, who is creating the region? I won't be able to pre-load but if the DL goes live at midnight EST, I can get things going unless someone else wants to take that responsibility. I hope people are all in so we can have cities that thrive and help each other haha

I'm a little skeptical on some people ;)
Anyway, I'm willing to make it as well. Let's keep in touch and the first of us two to get a chance can make the region.

Just make sure you're planning to play for some time so we don't have an absent region governor.

DEO3

I've always played SimCity like it was a small model railroad/zen garden/bonzai tree, agonizing over the smallest of details. For example in SimCity 4 I'd start up a large map, terraform the shit out of it so only a small area was even able to be developed, and then spend the next couple of days creating a tiny little fishing village in a small corner of the map. Because of my obsessive attention to detail I've never been able to create large metropolises, which I guess is why the city size doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others - in fact the focus on a more micro type of game play is very exciting to me.

My only concern is if I'm relying on a neighbor, and his city goes to shit, it sounds like there's nothing you can do to stop yours from spiraling into ruin as well. So while I may dabble with multiplayer, I'll most likely end up simply playing in a private region. Will I still have access to the whole 'leveling up'/supply chain aspect of the game - which really appeals to me, in a private region? Or does private region simply mean sandbox mode where everything is unlocked from the start?

Raven77

That's what I understand, yes. Your city doesn't evolve while you're not playing. If you play in a region with two other players and they play constantly, they'll eventually want to do the Big Structure thing, that requires money (resources?) from all the cities in a region. If your city is a small one and can't provide, they'll either have to pay/provide all the materials themselves or not be able to do it (I don't know how the Super Structure work/cost is divided between cities.).

That's why I didn't add my name on the GAF regions. I want to get a feel of the game first.

lol this is what cracks me up about Gaf.

Essentially above you are saying that you want the game to be Farmville.

While if it DID do this, people would be up in arms with "IF I WANTED FARMVILLE I WOULD PLAY FARMVILLE!!!"

pahamrick

I've always played SimCity like it was a small model railroad/zen garden/bonzai tree, agonizing over the smallest of details. For example in SimCity 4 I'd start up a large map, terraform the shit out of it so only a small area was even able to be developed, and then spend the next couple of days creating a tiny little fishing village in a small corner of the map. Because of my obsessive attention to detail I've never been able to create large metropolises, which I guess is why the city size doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others - in fact the focus on a more micro type of game play is very exciting to me.

My only concern is if I'm relying on a neighbor, and his city goes to shit, it sounds like there's nothing you can do to stop yours from spiraling into ruin as well. So while I may dabble with multiplayer, I'll most likely end up simply playing in a private region. Will I still have access to the whole 'leveling up'/supply chain aspect of the game - which really appeals to me, in a private region? Or does private region simply mean sandbox mode where everything is unlocked from the start?

You can do a private region and still have access to the global market and supply chain without doing sandbox mode.

I'm a little skeptical on some people ;)
Anyway, I'm willing to make it as well. Let's keep in touch and the first of us two to get a chance can make the region.

Just make sure you're planning to play for some time so we don't have an absent region governor.

i'm going to try and unlock and download. if it's fast i can stay up a bit. if it takes me well past midnight i'll skip the invite thing lol.

ekim

Ah fuck it:
- cancelled Origin order
- order at a CD key site and got key immediately
- bought a full speed VPN service
- Downloading now. :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Will I still have access to the whole 'leveling up'/supply chain aspect of the game - which really appeals to me, in a private region? Or does private region simply mean sandbox mode where everything is unlocked from the start?

Private region only means that you control who gets to play in your city.

Sandbox mode is different. That is when you have unlimited monies and unlock everything. Can be either public or private.

Spl1nter

There are both options for playing the game.

froliq

It will be tricky no matter what with having 16 different people in the current regions. People should just have fun and play as much was they want. The game is new and so is everyone playing. Don't get too invested in your city and just take it easy or play somewhere else when you see your neighbors can't match your playtime. Regions will die over time as people move on or lose interest and then you'll eventually have a group of people that are dedicated and determined enough to go on.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
lol this is what cracks me up about Gaf.

Essentially above you are saying that you want the game to be Farmville.

While if it DID do this, people would be up in arms with "IF I WANTED FARMVILLE I WOULD PLAY FARMVILLE!!!"

Wut? I'm not saying I want anything, I'm saying what is public knowledge on how the game works.

There's a region, there's multiple cities within said region, there's a super structure that can be built in that region, all the cities in the region can pitch in to build that super structure, all the cities will receive bonus from said super structure.

So let's say the super structure is an Airport. Airport needs power and money to be build (and probably something else, I don't know, nobody does). City 1 provides half the money, City 2 provides the other half of the money and City 3 provides the power the airport requires.

Having an airport in the region improves the tourism on the cities of that region, which means more money comes to each city from having the airport.

You can create all the cities in a region and decide to make an airport yourself. If you're playing online, that city is managed by other players. If one of those players doesn't play the game much, his city won't be as evolved as the others, and he'll probably won't have the money or the power output required by the scenario I described, so the other two cities will have to pick up the slack if they want an airport in that region.

What's Farmville about all of that?

Plumpman

Just wanted to let my region know (Titan Gorge #2) that I won't be online until Friday since I'm in the process of moving.

Also, anyone have any news as to when amazon are releasing keys? Are they releasing in time for the 9pm PST origin release?

pahamrick

Just wanted to let my region know (Titan Gorge #2) that I won't be online until Friday since I'm in the process of moving.

Also, anyone have any news as to when amazon are releasing keys? Are they releasing in time for the 9pm PST origin release?

Far as I know, no. Only folks who pre-ordered direct through Origin get access starting at 9pm PST, everyone else it seems has to wait until 12am PST.

If you're afraid of losing power or other services, try and make sure you have enough money saved to provide your own if necessary. You should NEVER enter in to an agreement for something without a contigency plan!

If it's other resources, you can buy from the global market as well.

Raven77

Wut? I'm not saying I want anything, I'm saying what is public knowledge on how the game works.

My mistake, you didn't actually say you wanted it to play that way.

The comment I was referring to is that people seem to be getting upset that you're city doesnt evolve automatically when not signed on (in a shared region).

This is how Farmville works.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

The comment I was referring to is that people seem to be getting upset that you're city doesnt evolve automatically when not signed on (in a shared region).

Nobody was complaining about it. I mentioned the fact that the city doesn't evolve because it doesn't, so yes, if you don't play the game you will hold a region back, because the evolution of that region is tied to the amount of money/resources the cities in that region make.

I'm sure it's nothing to be worried about though.

I wouldn't want that.

I can just imagine my rage if I logged back on and my city had gone to shit, all because I had to log off because dinner was ready.

ultron87

I wasn't saying that I would like the city to run without me. I was more saying that I'm less willing to get involved in the social aspects of the game since it could put expectations of others on my playtime. That isn't automatically a bad thing, but it is a consequence of the game design choice they made.

Rad-

I just started thinking. If the city zone is that small, won't most games last just few hours? Let's say you max your city in 5 hours, what after that?

When playing alone you can go to the next city and start building that. But what about when playing with others?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
For those worried about servers:

ADcgqtr.png

NA serial key being used with an Singapore IP address in a Brazilian Origin account (which is probably flagged for fraud suspicion).

It's worth saying my game is playable as we speak.

Speaking of which, who'd like to be in charge of starting up Viridian Woods 3? Amazon says no-go until 12 a.m. PST, which is 3 a.m. here, so I wouldn't get to it until the next morning.

Spl1nter

I wasn't saying that I would like the city to run without me. I was more saying that I'm less willing to get involved in the social aspects of the game since it could put expectations of others on my playtime. That isn't automatically a bad thing, but it is a consequence of the game design choice they made.

Always have to carry you.

DPsygnet

Any chance someone will upload a mirror of the Maxis singapore files somewhere in the next 5 hour ? work cant end soon enough.

Top Bottom