• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

0tHaCij.jpg

ekim

For those worried about servers:

ADcgqtr.png

NA serial key being used with an Singapore IP address in a Brazilian Origin account (which is probably flagged for fraud suspicion).

It's worth saying my game is playable as we speak.

So how large was the second download? currently I'm having 2 MB/s :)

Raven77

I just want to apologize about my comments on Farmville. I took what someone said out of context and in my head twisted it to what I thought they were saying.

Didn't mean to upset anyone, that wasn't my intention. Again, sorry.

ekim

I didn't really pay attention, Origin says 12 gigs, but the Simcity folder is only using 4 gigs on my hard drive.

So who the fuck knows?

So the maxis thing is downloading now and I cut the VPN connection- I hope it continues downloading though :eek:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm a little skeptical on some people ;)
Anyway, I'm willing to make it as well. Let's keep in touch and the first of us two to get a chance can make the region.

Just make sure you're planning to play for some time so we don't have an absent region governor.
Agreed. Did we ever find a replacement for KPJ KC?

I seen your post DM, it's cool as if you or Timetokill makes it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So yeah. When you start playing, it just flat out asks you to join a region in which other people are playing.

There's a toggle for abandoned cities. You can create a private region, in which you control who has access to the other cities, but this is all about interaction with others.

Now I kinda regret not signing up for the GAF regions. :p

Agreed. Did we ever find a replacement for KPJ KC?

Check maps. Replacements are already there. Theres a few more coming too when I get home.

So yeah. When you start playing, it just flat out asks you to join a region in which other people are playing.

There's a toggle for abandoned cities. You can create a private region, in which you control who has access to the other cities, but this is all about interaction with others.

Now I kinda regret not signing up for the GAF regions. :p

There's still time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh...hmm so apparently some people who are in Asia can play the game already...

Which means that my fears of not being able to play at launch due to traveling in Asia at the moment were unneeded.

lol!

But....the only thing that's stopping me is that Origin hasn't given me a cd-key yet. Darn...

:(

This. I have the game preordered through Origin, and tried the Singapore VPN, but it did nothing.

You need to have a CD key too

Home

Just finished downloading the loader. Damn that took a while at 40kb/s.

Anyone not in a gaf region want to play later this evening? Atleast until more region spots open up. :)

ekim

Just finished downloading the loader. Damn that took a while at 40kb/s.

Anyone not in a gaf region want to play later this evening? Atleast until more region spots open up. :)

you don't have to be connected while its downloading.

DPsygnet

Apparently if your using VPN you need to be connected while downloading the 300 mb loader, after that your apparently fine.

ekim

I try to find the files it's downloading but I can't find them. weird.

edit: there you are. 46% :)
edit2: and done!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
As soon as people are playing I want impressions on how restrictive the city sizes really are.

Im worried.

I don't think they're that restrictive.

I think this city landscape I picked which has a goddamn mountain in the middle of it is a much bigger problem than the actual size of the city. :D

pahamrick

As soon as people are playing I want impressions on how restrictive the city sizes really are.

Im worried.

If you want everything crammed into one city, you're probably going to find it pretty restrictive.

If you don't mind working up multiple cities, as was intended, you might not find it as restrictive. Honestly, it's really going to depend. Too many folks wanted a prettier SimCity 4 with it's spreadsheets, so the smaller cities kill it for them.

Other folks wanted better simulation, so they've learned to accept it.

sl4yor

Neo Member
Does anyone know another site I can use besides GMG? That site does not like any of the credit cards I gave it. It should be noted that I'm looking for a site that gives out a cd key so I can unlock early with VPN.

Thanks in advance

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Successfully cancelled Origin pre-order. Shopping around now, should have finished reading the thread before ordering the first time.

Edit: I actually got a 15% off code from the support tech and will probably use that to buy the digital deluxe version right after release. (can't use it on preorders)

PM sent for the GAF regions. Here's me:

NeoGAF username: Raticus79
Origin username: Raticus79
Region: North America West (AB, Canada)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Im worried.

I really really really hated it at first.

I've accepted it, though.

I still hate it. I've played all the betas, and the city size is the number one reason why I'm not buying it right away. It's just too restrictive for me.

Hopefully they address it soon so I can reconsider my purchase again, because pretty much everything else about the game is golden.

Robin64

Hello SimCityGAF.

I'm in Europe and was going to purchase this from Origin later on. That's not the best thing?
Can someone tell me how I can buy and play this today, rather than waiting til Friday?

Much love!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I still hate it. I've played all the betas, and the city size is the number one reason why I'm not buying it right away. It's just too restrictive for me.

Hopefully they address it soon so I can reconsider my purchase again, because pretty much everything else about the game is golden.

I really don't understand this. IF the city is too small, start another city. Make the first city provide it with energy/power if so, but you can expand. Sure, It'll be a different city, but you can still "expand" if that's the issue with the small area.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I've never been a hardcore simcity fan, so that might be it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can you provide more info? Is it really that restrictive? Does it in a way allow you to have multiple cities, each with 1-2 focuses?

That was a pretty big issue for me at first, and I used to be very critical of that. I understand now, however, the technical sacrifices necessary since the simulation engine is now much much more complex. It's not just spreadsheets: the game anymore. It's an actual simulation.

Small city sizes don't bother me that much anymore, especially since a long term goal of theirs is to eventually make the entire region a potential city tile size.

To elaborate further:

If you prefer to build "out" (sprawl) rather than build "up" (density), you will find the game to be restrictive at first. The only solution to that is to play multiple cities.

I think that the sprawl builders will eventually get a hang for upgrades and micromanagement, and be ok.

You can manage as many or as few cities as you want in a region, as long as there are unclaimed cities. If you play in a private region by yourself, it's fairly similar to playing a region in simcity 4.

You can have multiple cities under your control with whatever focuses you want.

Gameplay-wise, what took my mind of of the "darn I wish this city was bigger" feeling was working towards goals like improving my specializations, building great works, keeping my sims happy, coordinating with other players in my region, and getting achievements. It's a really fun game and I can't stop thinking about it.

I was really unhappy at first with the direction the new SimCity was taking, but after learning more about it and actually playing the game, I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't have that same feeling that I got prior to Diablo III's launch. That feeling of "oh god I have a suspicion they done fucked this game up". I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I really don't understand this. IF the city is too small, start another city. Make the first city provide it with energy/power if so, but you can expand. Sure, It'll be a different city, but you can still "expand" if that's the issue with the small area.

It's not the same as having everything all running at the same time, and constructing a huge metropolis, and managing all the awesomeness that comes with it.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I've never been a hardcore simcity fan, so that might be it.
That's part of it.

Mainly a console gamer, but really have to play this.

How bad will it perform with these specs?

Intel i3 @2.27 GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5430

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Are the city sets limited to one per city, or can you have French + German + British in the same city?

I'm wondering if Digital Deluxe allows munchkin superpowers by placing all three wonders in the same city.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
was able to download the loader via vpn on a singapore server

Which VPN ?

I tried FlyVPN trial and VPNSecure's 2 days thing and both shows the game still locked.

Had no problem to unlock Crysis 3 with FlyVPN, but this time nothing seems to work.

Spookie

Hello SimCityGAF.

I'm in Europe and was going to purchase this from Origin later on. That's not the best thing?
Can someone tell me how I can buy and play this today, rather than waiting til Friday?

Much love!

Amazon with a US address should get you a code tonight on the US release.

Has GMG said if the keys would go out right at midnight? For NA people that is

They said out by release whatever that means. I wouldn't ask for a refund though I just put in for one and to quote my e-mail: "We aim to respond to within 3-5 working days." If you re ordered you probably wouldn't get a refund before the keys went out.

pahamrick

Which VPN ?

I tried FlyVPN trial and VPNSecure's 2 days thing and both shows the game still locked.

Had no problem to unlock Crysis 3 with FlyVPN, but this time nothing seems to work.

Did you pre-order direct from Origin? If so, need to wait until they actually process your order and add the CD key to your account.

SLV

Also cancelled, waiting for my serial now
Just got a call from a asian lady, i guess they are out of keys ? was hard to tell -_- So it seams i will be waiting some more

They said out by release whatever that means. I wouldn't ask for a refund though I just put in for one and to quote my e-mail: "We aim to respond to within 3-5 working days." If you re ordered you probably wouldn't get a refund before the keys went out.

Sorry I don't follow, what do you mean if I re-order? Are you saying I should just cancel with GMG and buy one off Amazon, if I want to be sure to get it tonite?

Top Bottom