• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm about to impulse by this because I'm on break these next two weeks and am looking for a serious time sink. I loved the last SimCity and always seem to get lost in the complexities of city building.

I really don't know much about the game aside from what I've seen in trailers. I don't give a shit about always online, and prefer to play by myself. Will I be a happy camper?

You'll be happy. You can choose to play by yourself or select friends or strangers, sandbox or leaderboard. All up to you. You can do a single city in a 3-city region, or control all 16 cities in a 16-city region yourself.

SLV

Yes they have said 7 hours to everyone :D I will just do it in the morning, they just better deliver is all.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Not kidding, I'm genuinely excited for people to start seeing the heroes vs villians set pieces and what goes on during those. You guys will dig it.

So am I just pessimistic, or is EA going to milk the fuck out of this game with microtransactions down the line? I can just imagine it already. :(

pleunv

There must be a crazy amount of Singaporean IP's on these boards right now. Admins?

VPN Secure is extremely slow atm btw, better search for an alternative if you still need one.

Raide

So am I just pessimistic, or is EA going to milk the fuck out of this game with microtransactions down the line? I can just imagine it already. :(

If its cosmetic crap, then I dont mind. If it ends up being stuff that I need t play, then they can GTFO.

SRTtoZ

So am I just pessimistic, or is EA going to milk the fuck out of this game with micro-transactions down the line? I can just imagine it already. :(

Well lets be realists for a second. This is EA, we all know they love micro-transactions. Then look at series like the Sims, which has been milked with expansions and DLC forever. This will have its fair share but that doesn't mean you need to buy it. If there are things that will REALLY improve the game down the line, Ill buy them (better mass transit, city size etc), but if its just visual then ill pick and choose.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Yes. There is no doubt.

But it might still be a good game minus the extra content. Vanilla Sims 3 is still a great, content packed game, despite the heaps and heaps of microtransactions and expansions for it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't get it. I have 13 megawatts in excess (wind powered power plant), but not all of my city is powered up. What is going on?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Maybe. But in Sims 3, the DLC didn't take away from the fun I had in the base game. I actually didn't buy my first piece of DLC until earlier this year. All of that stuff is optional, mostly cosmetic stuff.

Smiley90

I don't get it. I have 13 megawatts in excess (wind powered power plant), but not all of my city is powered up. What is going on?

Buildings don't instantly get powered up, the power behaves very much like individual packets or people and needs to get there first...give it a minute?

Nibiru

Banned
Maybe. But in Sims 3, the DLC didn't take away from the fun I had in the base game. I actually didn't buy my first piece of DLC until earlier this year. All of that stuff is optional.

It also means that they will keep supporting the game and we won't have a 10 year gulf like we had after SimCity 4.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member

It can be good or bad...the good being that you are almost assured that there will be a crap ton of support for this game post launch... the bad being that it may not all be worththe price they ask for.

There are tons of things i would have loved to have had for Sims 3, but their store prices are crazy... i mean, iI see them selling a new town, with some premium ccontent for $40.00... the price of a new expansion

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

You didn't wait long enough

or

You have a gap in the roads

or

Your power plant is too far away from the buildings that don't have power.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Check your roads for some not being completed.

There is just ONE road going to the power plant, but that shouldn't be a problem as I understand.

It fixed itself after a while, but from time to time i'll get a warning saying there's unpowered buildings.

I wonder if it the wind stops from time to time and that's what triggers it?

Smiley90

There is just ONE road going to the power plant, but that shouldn't be a problem as I understand.

It fixed itself after a while, but from time to time i'll get a warning saying there's unpowered buildings.

I wonder if it the wind stops from time to time and that's what triggers it?

I'm not sure about wind,but solar has"peak" output so it sometimes drops, so I think it's possible for wind too. I sometimes got underpowered notes in the beta too and I think it's honestly still a bit buggy, but the simulation engine is deep, so it could be a lot of factors, incl distance to the plant, plant output, energy consumption of the buildings around it, time of day, etc

angels.phillipe

Neo Member
It's not a deal breaker, I'll still buy the game but building a city with a big river, some small islands and lots of bridges is a Simcity tradition to me... =(

They should have ditched the 32 bit version of the game...

How many gamers are running with 32 bits OS???

Yeeees, the bridges and rivers are, no doubt, the best things to give the size of cities, maybe the ideia is not the city, or build it, maybe they are focusing the multiplayer game... I dont know, maybe just..

Raven77

What time will I be able to play this game tonight if I have a digital version purchased? I'm in the United States.

Darklord

Banned
Serious question: Would people be as annoyed by the size if it was Simville and NOT called SimCity?

simville_screen001.jpg

I wish that game came out

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm not sure about wind,but solar has"peak" output so it sometimes drops, so I think it's possible for wind too. I sometimes got underpowered notes in the beta too and I think it's honestly still a bit buggy, but the simulation engine is deep, so it could be a lot of factors, incl distance to the plant, plant output, energy consumption of the buildings around it, time of day, etc

My power excess just went from 14 megawatts to 7 megawatts and then back to 14 megawatts.

So yes, I guess power output changes, even in Wind Powered cities. Gotta get that nuclear energy son.

Edit: I just noticed one of my turbines stopped generating energy (it stopped moving) even though there was wind in the region (if you mouse over a turbine it gives you wind information). Also, the turbines by the side of it are working without any issue.

After a couple seconds, it started back up. What?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My power excess just went from 14 megawatts to 7 megawatts and then back to 14 megawatts.

So yes, I guess power output changes, even in Wind Powered cities. Gotta get that nuclear energy son.

Oh, unless you have the vertical turbines, if the wind changes directions, the power potential of your fixed facing windmills will change because of the change in magnitude of the wind vector perpendicular to your windmill.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, people are already playing?

Anyone know of a site, or images, of the individual plots (or, at least the 3 regions we're going with?)

Kind of like to see an up close on Mesquite :p

Smiley90

Edit: I just noticed one of my turbines stopped generating energy (it stopped moving) even though there was wind in the region (if you mouse over a turbine it gives you wind information). Also, the turbines by the side of it are working without any issue.

After a couple seconds, it started back up. What?

easily possible there's some discrepancy between data and graphics engine, happens all the time.I'd trust the data over what it looks like :p still some kinks I suppose.

Also, every energy has its costs, nuclear radiation if you get unlucky through eg meteors or an earthquake, is pretty much impossible to remove and leaves a permanent hit to land value and citizen health :p
Oh, unless you have the vertical turbines, if the wind changes directions, the power potential of your fixed facing windmills will change because of the change in magnitude of the wind vector perpendicular to your windmill.
Actually, this makes a ton of sense

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
easily possible there's some discrepancy between data and graphics engine, happens all the time.I'd trust the data over what it looks like :p still some kinks I suppose.

Also, every energy has its costs, nuclear radiation if you get unlucky through eg meteors or an earthquake, is pretty much impossible to remove and leaves a permanent hit to land value and citizen health :p

Nuclear power + Homer Simpson = no more city.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think i figured out my city problem.

My city has two ground levels, and my power plant is on the upper level. The lower level, while close, doesn't have a direct connection to the upper level. So the energy has to go all around the map on this particular terrain.

When there's a drop of wind, the power drops, and it takes way too long to get back to the lower part of the city (since there's only the long way around)

There's no way to make a shorter route for the energy: It's too steep of a drop for me to create a road in it.

I wonder how I will fix this.

Top Bottom