• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Megasoum

Banned
I think i figured out my city problem.

My city has two ground levels, and my power plant is on the upper level. The lower level, while close, doesn't have a direct connection to the upper level. So the energy has to go all around the map on this particular terrain.

When there's a drop of wind, the power drops, and it takes way too long to get back to the lower part of the city (since there's only the long way around)

There's no way to make a shorter route for the energy: It's too steep of a drop for me to create a road in it.

I wonder how I will fix this.

Giant batteries.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

My city has two ground levels, and my power plant is on the upper level. The lower level, while close, doesn't have a direct connection to the upper level. So the energy has to go all around the map on this particular terrain.

When there's a drop of wind, the power drops, and it takes way too long to get back to the lower part of the city (since there's only the long way around)

There's no way to make a shorter route for the energy: It's too steep of a drop for me to create a road in it.

Did you try a bridge, or, more creatively, go down the steep hill serpentine style? There was a dev video showing how you can go down even very steep hills with serpentine that you couldn't go down straight

Home

Are you playing in a private region at the moment or a public one? I'd like to join your region if possible.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Did you try a bridge, or, more creatively, go down the steep hill serpentine style? There was a dev video showing how you can go down even very steep hills with serpentine that you couldn't go down straight

Thank you, I serpentined down the hill and it instantly started powering up the parts of the city that were without power.

It's ugly as sin, but it worked!

Here are some pics:

FHuelM6.jpg

3ldT7Je.jpg

Are you playing in a private region at the moment or a public one? I'd like to join your region if possible.

Private Region, still seeing how the game works. Doesn't really seem necessary, because, as people complained earlier, it's not hard to not keep yourself profitable. The hardest thing, so far, is evolve your city.

Thank you, I serpentined down the hill and it instantly started powering up the parts of the city that were without power.

Lol, that hairpin turn has the road lines crossing.

There better be accidents there 24/7 or I call BS on this supposed "simulation" game.

Smiley90

Here are some pics:

Private Region, still seeing how the game works. Doesn't really seem necessary, because, as people complained earlier, it's not hard to not keep yourself profitable. The hardest thing, so far, is evolve your city.

Ha, nice :p should've made that a high density avenue with streetcars, for maximum lol. (I'm not sure that's gonna work, I hope you don't run into traffic problems there :p)

So jealous of those playing... Or of those who have keys... -curses at GMG-

mavs

Here are some pics:

Except for the buggy center line and terrain clipping, that's the most natural use of curved roads I've seen so far in this game. A few bug fixes and that sort of thing will look awesome.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ha, nice :p should've made that a high density avenue with streetcars, for maximum lol. (I'm not sure that's gonna work, I hope you don't run into traffic problems there :p)

So jealous of those playing... Or of those who have keys... -curses at GMG-

I'm watching the Giantbomb quicklook live now, but I can upgrade it later, and I'll do it for your sake.

I'll try to create another one, but I don't see how I'll do that, as it was hard as hell to make that. :D

Edit: Oh, Streetcars... yeah, that's not going to happen. :p

I really, really want this game, but the always online thing is turning me off.
If someone has early access to this game, can you please tell me if it's as good as SimCity 3000, or even SimCity 4?

Smiley90

Goddammit, I want the streetcars but I guess they're locked to the "digital deluxe"? bullshit

Hu? No, streetcars are in all editions of the game. Only double buses/high speed rail are bound to digital deluxe (the city packs)

You need high density avenues with streetcars for them, though. And a streetcar depot.

That sounds ridiculous.

It does, because it's wrong.

Chili

Might be posted but there is a new Nvidia beta driver for SimCity (and others):

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Hu? No, streetcars are in all editions of the game. Only double buses/high speed rail are bound to digital deluxe (the city packs)

You need high density avenues with streetcars for them, though. And a streetcar depot.

It does, because it's wrong.

Well, even if the street cars are not locked out, the fact that anything is locked like that is dumb.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Here are some pics:

Lol, that hairpin turn has the road lines crossing.

There better be accidents there 24/7 or I call BS on this supposed "simulation" game.

I'd like to see a GIF of that intersection in action. My money's on them doing a little loop in there and clipping through each other

Smiley90

Well, even if the street cars are not locked out, the fact that anything is locked like that is dumb.

It's not locked, it's bonus content... Or are you simply against any kind of DLC? It's not in the game with a big "UNLOCK THIS FOR XX DOLLARS" sticker over it

Also, I urge everyone saying "the cities look small" to play the game first. Building several specialized, efficient cities is now part of the challenge.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does anybody know how to increase the density of a region? I can easily increase the value of a region, but It's always low density (except a couple buildings, which are increasing the density).

Anything other than the road that dictates the density of anything?

Does anybody know how to increase the density of a region? I can easily increase the value of a region, but It's always low density (except a couple buildings, which are increasing the density).

I'm pretty sure monuments increase density. Parks too maybe?

Oh, I thought the streetcars were part of the double-bus/hsr exclusive thing too.

I'm still not thrilled with it (I'd like HSR) but I'm glad I at least get streetcars.

I wish they'd let me buy the HSR individually at least for like $1. I don't care about the special ploppables or any of the euro skins.

Smiley90

Roads, Happiness (esp taxes, but also parks) and access to Shopping are the big factors, IMHO.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Make the sims happy and employed.

Click the happy face icon on the bottom, it'll tell you what your sims need to be happier.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I could be wrong, was under the impression that they did.

Parks increase land value, so it encourages the different tiers of sims to move in. It only indirectly influences density since parks make sims happier (they go to parks if they don't have enough money to shop), and happiness is one factor of willingness to increase density.

Apperantly this game is getting balling review scores. Don't you guys think this is the same thing that happened with CIV? People bitched that it looked too "facebook" and casual at first glance, but eventually it developed a cult following?

Quicklook isn't coming through for me at work, but perhaps they picked the small plot size?

I encourage everyone to check out the Lets All Be Mayor videos, there's more than 20 hours of gameplay and the cities did not seem too small during those streams.

krpiper

So I pre-ordered from amazon (with a non-cancelled order lol) do I just get the key at midnight to put in Origin or how exactly does that work?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm not even getting into this creating resources thing. Alloy? How the hell do you even do that? Do I need a market thing?

Top Bottom