• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A lot of the "simplified and constrained" parts aren't really simplified at all, but the interface is more realistic and the complexity is hidden. For example, the Penny Arcade reviewer complained that in previous SC games you could increase your monthly police budget to improve coverage, but in this game you just buy more police cruisers. But what the reviewer didn't notice was that those cruisers come with an additional daily fee added on to the budget, so it's still the same, but implemented in a better way.

Yep. Plus. in SC5, it's harder because your police might get stuck in traffic.

Jrmint

How are the Gaf regions for this gonna work? I'd really like to join one since none of my friends are gonna play this game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
For the organized group regions, it's probably best for the early birds to wait for the Europeans. It would kinda suck to log on and find that everyone else has 3 days of progress on you.

Sounds good, we can all start soloplay or smaller GAF regions

Megasoum

Banned
So to recap,

-I redeem the key in origin to have the game in my list
-Connect to VPN and "install" in Origin to get the 300mb launcher
-Disconnect VPN and continue business as usual?

I won't need the VPN afterward?

With the new focus on sims, is there a way to pick out, name, and bookmark a sim? I know you can zoom in and check up on individual sims, see how they are, etc., but really isolate and follow one around at a moment's notice?

So are we not starting regions then? Just so I know, I wouldnt mind getting practise in but I can't even start on Friday anyway because I have to go to a funeral in Wales so ill be one day behind myself.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks for the info. Makes a lot of sense. Now my only concern is that EA doesn't nickle and dime us to death :|

More impressions from other gaffers this post down:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48544416#post48544416

Here's mine:

Graphics
Very nice with a decent computer. Looks like ass on minimum. Optional depth of field effects that are cool, plus a lot of neat filters to alter the look.

I like the art style, but others might be turned off by its more "cartoony" appearance.

Immersion level

Pretty immersive, since you can go down to the street level and alter you perspective in the 3D world, unlike previous versions of SimCity. The simulation also simulates each individual living in the city, and if you're prone to that kind of thing, can get lost following your citizens around as they go about their daily lives. I personally don't really care about relating to my citizens in a sim by sim basis. I'm more of a macro kind of guy, but I appreciate the complexity and strategy that the new simulation engine offers.

Ability to create unique cities
You're not restricted to a grid like in other SimCity games, so you can go wild with curvy roads. The ability to specialize in certain industries also gives each city a unique feel and a role to play. Also, the terrain, and intercity connections are different in each city, so that helps to give each plot of land a unique identity. It's also a byproduct of the (unfortunately) small plot size.

Ambience
Ambiance? It's nice, I guess.

Control given to player (how much power do I have over the city)
You can do a great many things and have a lot of influence over what goes on. You can't control terrain anymore (no terraforming), and the small city sizes are a little limiting. Other than that, though, the options available to you have increased over previous SimCities in most areas (with the exception of a few, such as traffic options, city ordinance options, and targeted funding options).

Future potential
This new SimCity has as much potential as the original SimCity Classic. Envision how SimCity classic improved up to SimCity 4. The devs have that goal in mind for the new SimCity.

Potential issues
Always online sucks. You're subject to server lag, and a required connection.

Things you dont like / hate
Always online
Small city size
Limited traffic data tools
Limited traffic/road network solutions, such as subways
Park placement/aesthetics
Region wall is laggy and disorganized
Service and resource sharing is laggy
Coordinating with friends within Origin sucks, partly due to no group chat
Pathing AI can be stupid sometimes

OVERALL: I've already preordered it. Can't get enough of the betas. Hungry for more.

Hype level: Over 9000

GAF SimCity maps updated again, only missing DTKT Origin ID. Anyone heard from him?

Also if any regions are already created, let me know the server and name.

Pandemic

For the organized group regions, it's probably best for the early birds to wait for the Europeans. It would kinda suck to log on and find that everyone else has 3 days of progress on you.

Agreed, I think that's the best option. Then UK will only be a day behind rather than 3.

Megasoum

Banned
Crap, there's a limit of 3 trials connections per day in FlyVPN and since I already activated Tomb Raider too I need another VPN for the launcher lol.

I want to ask my fellow Titan Gorge 1 people when do you want to start? I can literally start the region right now, if we start on Thursday it will be up to TheQueen'sOwn because Im in Wales on Thursday and Friday.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can someone post a step-by-step for VPN, from Origin activation until I'm playing? Incl. when to disconnect from the VPN to maximize dl speeds etc

Bollocks to it I am creating the region now, I have waited long enough for this day :p Ill just call the region Titan Gorge 1 (unless there are any suggestions within the next 3 minutes while I get myself some cheerios).

sp3000

Weren't you mister negative?

I still am.

Just chill, I imagine that some people overzealously signed up and will drop out with a quickness. We've already had a couple dropouts.

Then you can get slotted into one of the available spots.

Alright, not a big deal. I'll probably start up a solo city to see what's changed from the beta and join the GAF group later if people leave

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
I want to ask my fellow Titan Gorge 1 people when do you want to start? I can literally start the region right now, if we start on Thursday it will be up to TheQueen'sOwn because Im in Wales on Thursday and Friday.

Doesn't matter when it starts for me. Though I'd imagine some of us playing early will remove the unpredictability thats inherent in a reliance on neighbouring city services (not to mention competition for tourist dollars, etc). I'd imagine those are the kinds of scenarios that will make group play more fun.

If it starts on Thursday, I don't mind creating the region.

Top Bottom