• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Hm, you don't get this?

unbenoriginanntdjuww.png

I get that every time i boot up now. Since playing the Beta....

DrBo42

Against my better judgement I bought this at launch and through origin. I can't even start the download origin continuously gives me an error after it gets stuck "preparing download". Can't wait to finally be able to download this because when I'm done I can go right into a server queue!

Same boat. Pretty bad.

So hey, has anybody else who has played had some performance issues?

I've tried turning settings all to low, or all to high, and the range I'm getting in FPS is 18 at the lowest and 24 at the highest. That seems like not a huge range considering I'm going from Low to High, and I'm also changing resolutions and stuff. And I'm talking on a completely empty Region.

Maybe my CPU is too weak? My graphics card is a 660Ti but my CPU is a quadcore Phenom X4 @ 3.2Ghz

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Well duh..

That is how Steam works.

You aren't understanding my issue. Origin has a system built in to log you off your other machine if you log in another one. Yet... It didn't work.

I had to physically remote desktop into my home machine and manually close it.

well duh?

Really? Just trying to help you out mister. I haven't heard of Origin auto logging you off.

Definity

Is there a way to get rid of the ground clipping through roads when you're zoomed out? Makes my city look like ass.

Juice

Okay so I just received my physical copy, cracked it open and redeemed the product code printed on the back of the manual in Origin. Everything checked out and it confirmed my purchase of SimCity, but there's no SimCity listed under the My Games tab. I'm hesitant to actually put the disk in because I heard if you install off the disk, the game will require it to be in the drive anytime you wish to play.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

I'd be surprised if this is true.

cripterion

Jesus there's not even a preload for EU. Origin, never ceases to amaze me... Meanwhile updating BF3 : 6gig update going at 179KB/s :/

haha. Not even the new beta Nvidia drivers help either I suspect. Bummer.

*Not that its a big deal but my OCD goes nuts when I see it happen.

nope. i'm on latest beta driver. i try to make the roads where i can be zoomed out but there are occasions such as hills and such you can't get away from it lol. i'll just make that area slum lord territory

Moppet13

So I have this issue sometimes where if I try to look at other peoples cities my monitors say there is no input and my computer freezes. Anyone else having this issue or are my Graphics cards dying?

mitheor

Origin Status &#8207;@OriginStatus
We are experiencing overwhelming demand which is keeping some users from accessing their games. We’re working as fast as we can to resolve.
2min ago

Hope they patch in some different AA options, can't use a custom resolution and check box AA that is included seems to do almost nothing. I shudder to think what it looks like without it.

DrBo42

Origin Status &#8207;@OriginStatus
We are experiencing overwhelming demand which is keeping some users from accessing their games. We’re working as fast as we can to resolve.
2min ago

Is this the first time more than 5 people have accessed Origin at once? Kidding aside you'd think their infrastructure would be up to the task after the BF3 launch.

Darklord

Banned
Is this the first time more than 5 people have accessed Origin at once? Kidding aside you'd think their infrastructure would be up to the task after the BF3 launch.

EA: Oh shit, people are actually buying SimCity! Overload!

*6 months later*

EA: SimCity 2 needs to sell at least 5 million copies.

gamma

Not very bright of EA to release a 6GB update for BF3 at the same time most people want to download SimCity

I think at this point it's safe to assume whoever is responsible for Origin is not very bright in general.

I mean seriously how stupid do you have to be to not see this coming. Everyone even told them.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The new Simcity is a different beast than Simcity 4. The main differences between the two are:

PROS of new game:
- much better graphics and interface, it's awesome
- curved roads! and they work exceptionally well
- multiplayer game
- more detailed simulation engine

CONS:
- no terraforming
- much smaller city sizes, you can fit about 9 of the new game's citys inside of a large Simcity 4 city (they are between a small and medium SC4 city)
- no farms, subways, or elevated rails
- large empty spaces in the region view between citys that you can't build in
- always online, need internet connection to play at all

If you were a "hardcore" Simcity 4 player then you may find the new game too restrictive. If you just like to casually build up citys with little concern for realism in city layouts, and if you don't mind always online DRM, then the new game might be for you.

Wat, the new game requires much more planning and realism than the old ones, due to the much improved sim engine. Also, SO MANY AWESOME DATA LAYERS.

qwerty2k

Really disappointed with EA/Maxis with regards to the Mac version. Little to no information on it, they haven't even said if you buy the retail version whether that also gets you the Mac version or not. Really poor.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wat, the new game requires much more planning and realism than the old ones, due to the much improved sim engine. Also, SO MANY AWESOME DATA LAYERS.

I really like it when you've got someone running a full power city and you start leeching power from them after a full blackout occurs. Having the Data Layer Map for Power on and the Power Map on at the same time is a cool thing to watch.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I need to understand the School differences a little bit more. It seems to me that each school has a specific role when upgrading your city education. For instance, ti seems that High Schools create prepared workers, even though I was under the impression that High Schools only worked for kids.

Colleges, on the other hand, do not. They do, however, increase the overall happiness of a region.

Universities, on the other hand, are good for researching better technology/other stuffs.

Hmmm.

Yea just redeemed my key, said some error message and there are no games in my library. Tried putting key in again, key already used. Dunno but maybe when I get back from class in 4 hours it will be fixed.

SaberVulcan

Glorious.
Get home, game on porch. Go to install, enter CD key... error, try again later.
Try again, enter CD key... key already used. Game doesnt appear on the My Games tab either so I cannot install from Origin.

Sigh.

What regions are already created, who's the creator, what's the name and what server are they in?

I wanna add that info on the website.

Top Bottom