• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simpsons producer lashes out at Harry Shearer's remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.simpsonschannel.com/

Shearer

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2004/08/05/story160340.html

The actor behind The Simpsons' evil millionaire Mr Burns and Homer's annoying neighbour Ned Flanders has slammed the comedy, claiming the last three seasons of the hit animation have been the "worst".

...Shearer says: "It makes me sad. They used to have whole scenes. Season four looks very good to me now. I'd rather not be there right now. Fortunately I'm doing a lot of other things."

Al Jean Responds To Shearer
http://www.simpsonschannel.com/

"He complains that his parts have shrunk--the reason for that is, as showrunner, I am never sure if he will show up for the table reads for which he is so handsomely paid. More than once, in the past, I have had a show set for a Thursday read featuring Harry's characters and been told on the Wednesday before that he is not coming. Hence, I have learned not to give him too much to do in any episode.

Espio

They really need to sit down and seriously think about where The Simpsons is going, they've completley bastardised it.

pilonv1

Shearer says: "It makes me sad. They used to have whole scenes. Season four looks very good to me now. I'd rather not be there right now. Fortunately I'm doing a lot of other things."

Harry Shearer is my hero. After watching the series four DVDs, it's even more obvious how much of a parody of itself the show has become. It's even funnier that they make fun of Family Guy, yet the last 4-5 series of the Simpsons have been just a bench of disjointed jokes and guest stars.

pilonv1

It's obvious how much the show needed Groenings input and control - just look at not only the quality of writing but the quality of the show overall for the past five years, then look at Futurama. If it weren't for the character designs you wouldn't think they came from the same man's mind.

pilonv1 said:
Harry Shearer is my hero. After watching the series four DVDs, it's even more obvious how much of a parody of itself the show has become. It's even funnier that they make fun of Family Guy, yet the last 4-5 series of the Simpsons have been just a bench of disjointed jokes and guest stars.

Heck, I watched what I once considered CRAPPY SIMPSONS (season 1) and I still got more laughs out of it than a whole season, especially later ones. This is very sad. Boourns.

Pimpwerx

Yup, jumped the shark a long time ago. For a while, it was still funny, but coincidentally, the last 3 seasons have been the ones I haven't watched. It really has sucked something fierce. Futurama and Family Guy forever!!! PEACE.

AniHawk

You know, if Harry Shearer is saying the show is starting to suck, then maybe Mr. Al Jean should probably listen to him.

Nikashi

Banned
Um, did everyone in this thread miss the point of what Shearer was saying? He's not saying ANYTHING about the show's quality (at least in the quote pasted here), he's complaining that the characters he voices are getting less lines lately.

calder

Nikashi said:
Um, did everyone in this thread miss the point of what Shearer was saying? He's not saying ANYTHING about the show's quality (at least in the quote pasted here), he's complaining that the characters he voices are getting less lines lately.

Yeah, I was about to say. He does kinda speak about the quality declining, but mainly it comes off as a typical actor whine about lines rather than wishing the whole show was better. Sure he's saying the show was better back when, but mainly it sounds like he's saying "The show was sooo much better when I was in it more".

It always cracks me up when supporting actors in long running series start getting those weird notions that more of their character is JUST what the show needs most. ;) Not exactly what Shearer is doing, but similar.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hehe, I remember the time the Simpsons were talking about how cartoon character's voice actors can be replaced without anyone knowing, and then Ned Flanders walked by the window with a totally new voice.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I realize that Shearer isn't insulting the show directly, but still...anything to kill The Simpsons off faster is fine by me. Hopefully he'll get disgruntled enough to quit, and convince a few other people to leave with him.

human5892 said:
I realize that Shearer isn't insulting the show directly, but still...anything to kill The Simpsons off faster is fine by me. Hopefully he'll get disgruntled enough to quit, and convince a few other people to leave with him.

How about anything to improve the writing so the show can continue and be funny again? It doesn't need to be taken off the air.

Memles

As far as I can tell, he's also the only member of the Big Six (Shearer, Cast...Homer, Kavner, Cartwright, Smith and Azaria) who hasn't done a single commentary, unless Season Two has one.

Kuroyume

Banned
The show used to have different stories... now it's either celebrity guests doing voice work or the simpsons travelling to other countries

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Warm Machine said:
How about anything to improve the writing so the show can continue and be funny again? It doesn't need to be taken off the air.
That'd be nice, but I really doubt it will happen, at least if the past several seasons have been any indication. Plus, even if the writing does improve and the jokes get funny again, there's still the problems of coming up with plots for a 15 year series that haven't been done before and are plausible.

I think at this point, it really does need to be taken off. Let it die with a least a little bit of dignity.

pilonv1

Memles said:
As far as I can tell, he's also the only member of the Big Six (Shearer, Cast...Homer, Kavner, Cartwright, Smith and Azaria) who hasn't done a single commentary, unless Season Two has one.

They even got Conan and Jon Lovitz on season four. It would be nice to get Harry in for a few, but Nancy Cartwright and Julie Kavner were boring as all hell.

Let it die with a least a little bit of dignity

That ship sailed years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom