• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Dascu

Cygnus X-1 said:
WTF. It is too difficult! I tried with normal mode and I was beaten very badly by the boss floating in the air at the end of first level. He screwed me so much. And there are so many things on display that I can't see properly what's going on. Shit.

Suggestions?
It's not a shame to play on Easy mode in a Treasure game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
daakusedo said:
Is there some page on internet that describe how to get all the medals?

Your best option is to look for youtube videos of expert players. Nico Nico too.

Billychu said:
I just started playing this last night after getting it in the Newegg sale. I'm almost at the end of Stage 3 (at least I think I'm at the final boss of that area) and I've been playing with Isa on Normal. I tried using the girl on Stage 0 just to test her out and she seems a little pointless. The autoaim will constantly lock onto a really strong enemy and leave me with no way to attack weaker ones first without using the A button to switch locked on targets. Should I just stick with Isa? And am I less of a man by bumping it down to easy mode? Normal mode's bosses are starting to get really annoying and I don't feel like I'm really getting progress if I'm just relying on checkpoints to progress.

I find Kachi to be more useful if you wanna be a masochist and play with a classic controller, as strange as that sounds.

Cygnus X-1 said:
WTF. It is too difficult! I tried with normal mode and I was beaten very badly by the boss floating in the air at the end of first level. He screwed me so much. And there are so many things on display that I can't see properly what's going on. Shit.

Suggestions?

Tortoise Keeper or Orion Tsang?

Orion is pretty easy. Just concentrate on dodging his attacks and striking when he teleports right by your side. You can only damage him by reflecting his missiles or with a sword strike.

The Tortoise, well, you keep shooting shit. If you wanna get daring shoot at his knees with charge shots and reflected missiles. You can take 500 HP out of him if you make him fall to the abyss.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My copy of this JUST got here from the Newegg clearance; shipment was delayed due to east coast snowpocalypse.

All I have to say is - WHAT. EVEN. SHIT.

Hands down my favorite Treasure game since Gunstar Heroes.

See, thing is, I'm picky. I've never liked a Treasure game as much as their debut titles (well, after the McDonalds game...) of Gunstar and Headdy. With the possible exception of Guardian Heroes their other games have always felt incomplete, cheap, with second-rate "Japanese weird" characters and plots. I also had trouble with Sin & Punishment 1 due to its control scheme.

But the Wii was fuckin' made for this game and it fits like a glove. And it's the best general shooter I've played since I can't even remember.

Now I feel ashamed for having lost faith in Treasure / shooters. I would have bought this game day 1 at full price.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ It's also the only fulfillment of the Wii controls for hardcore gaming, EVER.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
BocoDragon said:

I think more than ever, this game proves that is largely developers' fault and not the Wii's. (To be fair to Nintendo, Mario Galaxy 2 can be pretty damn hardcore, and I think the Wii specific elements are perfect as they are.)

And Red Steel II is pretty damn hardcore.

But yes; the Wii was made for games like this; after having played it, I'd consider Sin and Punishment the "correct" way to do a shooter on the Wii over Just Another Rail Shooter design mentality. It also shows how the design of most rail shooters has become lazy and cheap, merely ghostly, lifeless imitations of a handful of the famous light gun arcade shooters of the 90s.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
BocoDragon said:

I keep trying to come up with a retort to this but I cannot think of any other "traditional" game on the console that does it as well. Trauma Team comes close, but the endoscopy sections were really poorly designed.

Neo C.

Finally bought a copy. Very sorry to Treasure, but since Monster Hunter 3 I haven't got the time for it. Even now I still have to finish Etrian Odyssey 3 first, but when I saw a copy for clearance sale, I couldn't resist.

duckroll

My copy just arrived. Tried out the pointer controls. Accurate but really tiring. Will probably play with with a classic controller like a real man instead.

duckroll said:
My copy just arrived. Tried out the pointer controls. Accurate but really tiring. Will probably play with with a classic controller like a real man instead.

We all played using the wii remote ducky....you know just saying =P

Mdk7

duckroll said:
Nah, this game feels PERFECT with Wiimote & Nunchuck. :p

AniHawk

duckroll said:

protip: don't aim your entire arm at the tv

AniHawk

duckroll said:
Isn't that what the main character does? What's the point if I can't imitate his actions and feel like I'm in the game???

this reminds me of a person i know who loved twilight princess but didn't get very far because she wanted to play through the game by really swinging the sword as though she was actually link.

duckroll

While waiting for the game to ship (I had a friend buy it for me from Newegg), I replayed Sin and Punishment 1 about two weeks ago. It made me realize that the original game simply isn't that great. There is like one fantastic stage - the carrier fleet fly-over. And while there were many great bosses, the overall game is pretty disjointed with lots of poor mash-up of various action elements (the side scrolling stage sucked, shooting the super missile down was retarded, etc). The game also has control issues, because they really pushed the N64 controller to the max in terms of inputs and what the player has to pay attention to.

Right from the start Sin and Punishment 2 seems like a HUGE improvement. They take the elements which worked in S&P and reworked them really well to the Wii environment. Better environments, more interesting scrolling, a great tutorial stage, and really good controls. The challenge feels pretty good too. I'm still not completely used to the point + nunchuck controls in terms of posture and comfort, but it's starting to work out and the game is really engaging.

I swapped the melee attack button to tap A instead of tap B, because I felt that would be more natural for me, but I'm starting to discover that with Lock-on being A as well, I lose the lock-on when I use the sword. Would it be better if I swapped it back to B (I really feel less comfortable with this), or should I change Lock-on to B instead? This way, I only lose the lock-on if I stop firing and tap it again, but not if I'm holding fire and I press A to deflect a missile. Thoughts on this?

duckroll said:
Thoughts on this?

When I started playing I actually swapped the layout as well but after a stage I had to leave it as is. In my mind the melee button defaulted to B makes sense because that's a situation where that will either be for emergencies of if I'm being ballsy. I played stage zero a few times to get a better feel for it all. The most important factor is finding the control layout your most comfortable with. You definitely don't want to be fighting with a layout you don't like when serious business is going down.

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:
When I started playing I actually swapped the layout as well but after a stage I had to leave it as is. In my mind the melee button defaulted to B makes sense because that's a situation where that will either be for emergencies of if I'm being ballsy. I played stage zero a few times to get a better feel for it all. The most important factor is finding the control layout your most comfortable with. You definitely don't want to be fighting with a layout you don't like when serious business is going down.

Yeah that's what I'm basically working on for the moment. Instead of continuing to play the game without feeling 100% comfortable, I'm adjusting control settings and starting a new game each time. I'm surprised Treasure put in as many customizable controls as they did, it's really user friendly!

duckroll said:
Yeah that's what I'm basically working on for the moment. Instead of continuing to play the game without feeling 100% comfortable, I'm adjusting control settings and starting a new game each time. I'm surprised Treasure put in as many customizable controls as they did, it's really user friendly!

I believe during an Iwata asks the president said in passing how the game was made to accommodate all comfort levels of control scheme play. Looking back this game really is a product of most their best work to date on a console. Without a doubt in my mind this is one of the best action titles on the Wii library bar none.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
While waiting for the game to ship (I had a friend buy it for me from Newegg), I replayed Sin and Punishment 1 about two weeks ago. It made me realize that the original game simply isn't that great. There is like one fantastic stage - the carrier fleet fly-over. And while there were many great bosses, the overall game is pretty disjointed with lots of poor mash-up of various action elements (the side scrolling stage sucked, shooting the super missile down was retarded, etc). The game also has control issues, because they really pushed the N64 controller to the max in terms of inputs and what the player has to pay attention to.

Right from the start Sin and Punishment 2 seems like a HUGE improvement. They take the elements which worked in S&P and reworked them really well to the Wii environment. Better environments, more interesting scrolling, a great tutorial stage, and really good controls. The challenge feels pretty good too. I'm still not completely used to the point + nunchuck controls in terms of posture and comfort, but it's starting to work out and the game is really engaging.

I swapped the melee attack button to tap A instead of tap B, because I felt that would be more natural for me, but I'm starting to discover that with Lock-on being A as well, I lose the lock-on when I use the sword. Would it be better if I swapped it back to B (I really feel less comfortable with this), or should I change Lock-on to B instead? This way, I only lose the lock-on if I stop firing and tap it again, but not if I'm holding fire and I press A to deflect a missile. Thoughts on this?
Leave lock on on A, change sword to down on the d-Pad

Getting a shell like the Wii zapper is also good for the long stages if you are willing to spend the cAsh.

giggas

duckroll said:

I'm probably going to get made fun of, but this was the reason I actually played through this entire game using the Zapper.

You need to use melee so freaking much that my index finger started cramping up. The Zapper seriously alleviated this issue thanks to the large trigger. There was a bit of a learning curve after that since you lose the A button (if I remember, A button is mapped to C by default on Zapper control), but I ended up doing just fine.

So, yeah....

Didn't know there was an OT.

This game actually wasn't released here in Australia. JB Hifi managed to order a bunch of copies from the UK, but it was a very limited number and I wasn't even aware of the nature of the release despite seeing the game in stores. I just figured I would buy it later when it fell in price. Big mistake.

After not seeing it for month and months, my eyes fell on a copy tucked away at a JB in Melbourne. I squeeled like a schoolgirl and prompty bought it despite the hefty price tag (AU$89).

Haven't played it but just thought I'd let people that I'm not part of the problem. Nintendo of Australia is.

Just a quick question. How many stages are there in the game. I'm on stage 4 and so far so good. I'm starting to get a feel for the game and so far a lot of the boss battles have been pretty good. The battle with the sword girl was pretty cool and the stage 2 battle with the guy morphing in sea creatures was pretty lol worthy. The game's pretty crazy and one of the more intense rail shooters I've played. Way more intense then Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox. So far it's pretty good.

Daigoro

duckroll said:

Treasure are masters of controller options. they worked miracles with the N64 controller.

Ok so almost there. I'm just kind of taking it slow with this game. I find that my arms hurt after playing any type of shooter with the wiimote. Really enjoying the game though. Would you guys recommend SP1? Has it aged ok? Did the VC version add anything new?

SP1 doesn't have the pointer controls of course, but it plays very well. I finally downloaded it a few months ago, and it convinced me that I had to have S&P2.

And I entered the thread just to say S&P2 is one of the best damn games on the Wii. If I hadn't already played a good bit of the first game, it probably would have floored me with its quality.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Regulus Tera said:
I keep trying to come up with a retort to this but I cannot think of any other "traditional" game on the console that does it as well. Trauma Team comes close, but the endoscopy sections were really poorly designed.
PES Wii is the best showcase of wii controls. All buttons are used, both accelerometers and of course the pointer... enabling a real gameplay revolution.

Night_Trekker said:
SP1 doesn't have the pointer controls of course, but it plays very well. I finally downloaded it a few months ago, and it convinced me that I had to have S&P2.

And I entered the thread just to say S&P2 is one of the best damn games on the Wii. If I hadn't already played a good bit of the first game, it probably would have floored me with its quality.

SP2 is leagues above SP1, in my opinion. And the controls are such a huge part of that. Amazing game. It'd probably be the best game on Wii if it weren't for those darn Mario Galaxies.

Okay, I need to sit down...

Gentlemen, I have just returned from one of the most perfect game experiences I have had the pleasure of being submitted to in over 3 years. Forget about game of the year, this game is now in my top 25 games of all time, and there is only one other current generation title that I have been so bold as to bestow that honour.

This game is perfect, just like with Gunstar Heroes it is like scientist from Treasure had a direct data line going into my brain as they were designing this game because I loved very second of it. I have a hunch that Nintendo did not exactly break the bank in funding this little endeavour, but the deuce I say, those wizards over at Treasure never disappoint, never, sirs, never I say.

Playing this on a 28" progressive scan CRT was like a feast for the eyes, like being inside some godly arcade fallen out of a wormhole connected to the late 90's.

If you liked Panzer Dragoon Orta, REZ, Gunstar Heroes, games with an distinct arcade feel, games that run at a solid locked 60fps, games that challenge you, but fairly or just action games with a razor sharp design and controls then look no further. Take heed, for if you do I will be tempted to resort to fisticuffs.

I am glad that I bought this title at launch, I'd regret leaving it fester in my backlog like a monster for so long before getting around to it, but then I would not have had the chance to experience it fresh now.

I wish small time developers like Treasure had some direct means to support them, for if they had then a check with the sum of a thousand would right now be made out to them. Alas, until they give me the option I think I'll just settle for pre-ordering their next game.

Also, someone should see about making a rail shooter appreciation thread. This, REZ and the Panzer series have convinced me that this is one genre that always delivers in abundance.

Kerub said:
Commander Deko is sooo hard.

But I'll bring him down, haha. ^^

He gave me a hard time, that is for sure and I loved how you had to first fight off all of his henchmen again one by one as he was watching just like in Gunstar Heroes, pulled at my nostalgia heartstrings that did.

But I found the boss fight at the end of the previous chapter to be much harder until I figured out a strategy. Damn I loved this games none stop barrage of bosses, it just makes my blood pump and instills me with an overall good feeling. I swear there are so few games that put a goofy smile on my face for their entirety like this.

Seik

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Just a quick question. How many stages are there in the game. I'm on stage 4 and so far so good. I'm starting to get a feel for the game and so far a lot of the boss battles have been pretty good. The battle with the sword girl was pretty cool and the stage 2 battle with the guy morphing in sea creatures was pretty lol worthy. The game's pretty crazy and one of the more intense rail shooters I've played. Way more intense then Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox. So far it's pretty good.
Yeah I lol'd for that one too. For some ironic reasons it reminded me that episode from South Park about japanese hating dolphins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGepBtBCuTY&feature=related

I recently just cleared this on Normal about a week ago, again. I might try my luck on Hard but I have a feeling I'll just get owned badly by the 2nd boss. It's become one of my late favorites on the Wii (along with Zack & Wiki), and I love just about everything about it except the graphics and "story". Controls are awesome and it's a proper challenge, I'd love to see Treasure get a true AAA budget on the WiiU as well. I need a spiritual successor to Ikaruga!

Leaderboards aren't too badly cheated either from what I can tell, at least not as bad as some other games.

Great review. It's pretty much a forgotten masterpiece. Hopefully will upgrade to cult classic. And it rewards the player whether you just care about surviving to the end or really going for the best high score.

Hiltz

I like how first game has shorter levels but better pacing. Plus nothing can rival the epic battleship stage.

Sequel's great because there's no learning curve to the controls. Of course, it's also a longer gamer with 2 playable characters. Unfortunately, there's no "Get bonus!" and not much in the way of ground combat.

Top Bottom