• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Started playing this today, got upto end of level two on normal mode with Isa.

What a great game, its crazy hectic, I absolutely love it.

Thank you Treasure.

Effect

olimpia84 said:
How long is this game again?

Really depends. There are what 7 levels I think but each could maybe take around 30 to 40 minutes if you include deaths. That was on easy from what I could judge. So you could beat the game at that level in around 5 to 6 hours maybe sooner. You'll die a lot and restart from checkpoints a lot on the harder difficulties. That's not counting replaying levels to get your score higher to get a better place on the online score boards if you care to do so. You can also replay as the different characters (not sure if it changes the story or anything) and then even the two characters together on the screen I believe. So there is some replayability to lengthen the game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:
Regulus Tera said:
Better than Excitebots?
No

2l94313.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bit late to the party, but just got the game! So far, only Finished Level '0' and 1, and I am really enjoy it, Music is great. The fact that dying midway though Level '1' has put me at #3478 on the leaderboard, with my 7+ Million points makes me think the game has sold that great though :/

Drkirby said:
Bit late to the party, but just got the game! So far, only Finished Level '0' and 1, and I am really enjoy it, Music is great. The fact that dying midway though Level '1' has put me at #3478 on the leaderboard, with my 7+ Million points makes me think the game has sold that great though :/
well many folks don't have their wiis online, but yeah this was probably a sales disaster

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
_dementia said:
well many folks don't have their wiis online, but yeah this was probably a sales disaster
Oh come on, how large of a group do you expect me to believe bought this game but never uploaded this score? This game is targeted at enthusiasts.

Then again, with Treasure being the super small company it is, its still likely this turned a good profit.

TunaLover

Just bought it yesterday, enjoining it so far, the visuals are mind blowing, alot of frantic action with tons of effects, kinda miss the old character style to be honest, but it's growing on me.

I don't know why, but sometimes it felt like a StarFox 64, in the sense of route design and swarm of enemies, one just can dream about how awesome could be a StarFox game from Treasure =(

Llyranor

Haha, I bought a copy of this (and MH3) recently because they were on sale.

I don't even have a Wii ;____; I guess getting one is just an eventuality now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Drkirby said:
Then again, with Treasure being the super small company it is, its still likely this turned a good profit.

Unless the game had a development budget of less than six digits, I doubt it.

Actually thinking about it that may be true. Don't they employ like thirty people?

TunaLover

Llyranor said:
Haha, I bought a copy of this (and MH3) recently because they were on sale.

I don't even have a Wii ;____; I guess getting one is just an eventuality now.
Nice picks ;)
I could recomend you wait for the Mario Anniversary red Wii, it brings Wiimote Plus, instead the WM+ attachment, and if red isn´t your color just wait a little longer as Nintendo will pack Wiimote Plus in the near future in the new packages.

NoRéN

Finally got a copy. Wow! Overall fun game! Every time I think, "whoa, that was crazy" something even more crazy comes along.

Finally got around to playing this and just completed my 3rd consecutive playthrough (Isa&Kachi Hard). Really fantastic game. To my amazement, it's actually better than PD Orta.

Probably had most fun playing on Isa&Kachi mode, since it adds an element of strategic switching but makes it difficult to abuse due to the vulnerable pause afterwards. Also the double lifebar prevents a few parts on Hard from becoming overly frustrating.

Favourite boss fights were Armon (stage 2), Hibaru (stage 7, Hard only) and Deko (stage 6, excluding the Mortal Kombat part). The train miniboss on stage 6 was pretty nifty as well. For the stages themselves, it's something like 4 > 7 > 6 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5.

Despite it being a legitimate contender for the most obvious reveal in a video game ever,
it still sent a chill down my spine when Kachi remembered she was Achi. Must've been the delivery. Though I preferred her look in S&P1.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
A Huge Battleship said:
Favourite boss fights were Armon (stage 2), Hibaru (stage 7, Hard only) and Deko (stage 6, excluding the Mortal Kombat part). The train miniboss on stage 6 was pretty nifty as well. For the stages themselves, it's something like 4 > 7 > 6 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5.

Did anyone ever get the hang of that fight? It's the one part of the game that fucks up my score, because I cannot figure out when I have to hit and when to dodge.

Regulus Tera said:
Did anyone ever get the hang of that fight? It's the one part of the game that fucks up my score, because I cannot figure out when I have to hit and when to dodge.
The fisticuffs fight? If there is a foolproof strategy, I haven't found it. My usual method is to bait an attack from Deko when he gets up, avoid it and then combo him to the ground again. Occasionally he'll dodge/yank and smack me back, but it happens infrequently enough that I'll typically win, even on Hard.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I may be alone, but did anyone else think the ending
the extended one you get from Isa & Kachi mode
was kind of unnerving? Treasure certainly aren't masters of storytelling in games, but when
Kachi said she was Achi in that monotone voice and the music stopped, I was kind of surprised. It was the most obvious plot twist in the history of plot twists, and neither game had a particularly well-told plot, but Kachi faking her personality throughout the entire game and Isa being completely wrong about her, with no sign of learning the truth, was pretty surprising.
Just flicked back through the thread and saw this.
I figured that she genuinely was suffering from amnesia throughout and only began getting her memories back at the end. It's hard to see why she'd bring her old identity up at that point otherwise.

Watching it again on YT, her english VA makes it sound like she's about to pick up right where she left off (though it could just be the line being badly delivered). Her japanese VA is a bit more ambiguous, but still manages to creep the fuck out of me through a combination of her expression and the sudden silence.

Bought this yesterday ( saw it with a crazy price-tag in a local gamestore - 19,99€ brand new - and just couldn't ignore it any longer ), played until the end of Stage 2 on Normal, and loved every blood-pumping second of it. This could very well become my favorite Wii -game, it's just that good.

Thank you, Treasure. You already gave me Ikaruga, now you are porting Radiant Silvergun to XBLA, and gave Nintendo the on-rail shooter to die for.

Now that I've had time to let it sink in I think S&P2 is easily one of the best games this generation, and almost certainly the most unfairly overlooked. "Hardcore" gamers definitely didn't hold up their end of the deal when this first hit the shelves, but now that it's freely roaming the bargain bin you ninnies don't have any excuse not to pick it up.

Also- Regulus Tera, I was initially skeptical when you were posting rave impressions early on, but I understand fully now. You were doing a public service for those of us who were listening.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Now that I've had time to let it sink in I think S&P2 is easily one of the best games this generation, and almost certainly the most unfairly overlooked. "Hardcore" gamers definitely didn't hold up their end of the deal when this first hit the shelves, but now that it's freely roaming the bargain bin you ninnies don't have any excuse not to pick it up.

Also- Regulus Tera, I was initially skeptical when you were posting rave impressions early on, but I understand fully now. You were doing a public service for those of us who were listening.

Church.

Got it! Thanks for the heads up. Shaping up to be an awesome Black Friday with this and SMG2 at Target.

And I drunkenly bought ThruSpace after trying the demo, and am digging it. Looks like it will be a Wii December.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GrotesqueBeauty said:

Amen. People who didn't get this game are on the list.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GrotesqueBeauty said:

I had the feeling Nintendo really overshot the market with the fifty dollar price tag. I'm hopeful it will get a second life now that it's so cheap.

I did my job posting positive impressions in this thread. This is going to be a forgotten classic for sure. Best we can do is elevate it to cult classic status much like the original.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:

This game is too hardcore for the hardcore.

Seriously, when the menu music itself has you already gripping the controller tight at the edge of your seat, you know you're in for something brutally awesome.

Top Bottom