• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
adversesolutions said:
Do we have screenshots of this game running in dolphin??
Here are some:

Durante said:
Some screenshots from the best game on the Wii.
(Note that these are at gameplay settings, which for this game means locked 60 FPS, anything other than that is unacceptable)

r2vp01-77rq5w.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-20-fqyq.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-23-vr81.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-20-bpez.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-23-aoo7.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-21-frqm.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-21-nsi6.jpg

dolphin-2010-07-02-23-1o55.jpg

I have a few great ones from the final level but that may be too much of a spoiler.

Settings:
Revision 5817
DirectX 9 plugin w/ OpenCL
3x EFB scale
Fast Safe Texture Cache (the game needs this at only 3 or 4 points, so you may disable it if you need the speed)
EFB scaled copy and 16xAF
EFB Copy to Texture
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22202653&postcount=937

Regulus Tera said:
Excellent review, Scion. :) I'm pretty sure Treasure wouldn't say no to a few donation (you are crazy though).

They should have a donation option on their website, I would seriously send some money their way, cut away the middle man. If god tier developers dont get my cash I'll just waste on buying boxed copies of old games in eBay anyway. Better it go to fund new endeavours I say.

By the by, anyone have rough sales numbers for this one on the Wii. If I had to guess I'd say prolly 20k, as much as it pains me to imagine.

Vercimber said:
This is my favorite game of this generation. Bursting with creativity.

You know what I'd like to do, I'd like to take all of those console DD developers farting out one twin stick shooter after the other whose combined output basically is just are the same game and sit them down in front of this game just to be able to show them how a development team of such loftier echelon that they might as well be gods in comparison managed to spin so many ideas around the simple constricted concept of a moving a character up/down and shooting with cursor.

It is quite baffling how each stage felt like I was playing a different game when most AAA games today are just an extension of their first 10 minutes stretched to last 10 hours.

ACESmkII

Sooo tempted to buy a Wii right now just to play this.

To anyone that has played the first S&P, How does the difficulty compare?

NEO0MJ

ACESmkII said:

Game feels easier, but I think that's thanks to the controls and responsiveness.

ACESmkII said:

About the same. It's one of those difficulty curves where, once you pass it, you go back and think "Why was that ever hard?", not quite realizing that you got better to get past it.

Some bosses will kick your ass until they click and suddenly you're on even footing.

ACESmkII

Thanks for the replies.

Since this is a game that looks like it requires very quick responses, the only thing I'm a little worried about is getting minor input lag while playing on my plasma. Or is this a non issue?

maeda

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
You know what I'd like to do, I'd like to take all of those console DD developers farting out one twin stick shooter after the other whose combined output basically is just are the same game and sit them down in front of this game just to be able to show them how a development team of such loftier echelon that they might as well be gods in comparison managed to spin so many ideas around the simple constricted concept of a moving a character up/down and shooting with cursor.
It is quite baffling how each stage felt like I was playing a different game when most AAA games today are just an extension of their first 10 minutes stretched to last 10 hours.
So true! S&P 2 is like SMG and SMG 2 of rail-shooter genre. The way they worked game design in depth, basically exploring one single concept and its variations, is truly remarkable. Treasure are gods!

Hiltz

If Starfox 64 can look and play well on the 3DS, then why not Sin & Punishment 3DS ? The constantly changing camera perspective and laser bullets blowing past your face would be mind blowing.

NEO0MJ said:
Game feels easier, but I think that's thanks to the controls and responsiveness.

Agreed. The only thing that really added to 1's difficulty was the credit system because there was a real price for getting killed. Even with 2's checkpoints and infinite continues it's still harder and I think Treasure was smart enough to know so they ramped it up just a bit. At this juncture I'd kill for a remake to 1 with Wiimote + Nunchuck. Playing 2 with it just felt so right and 1 could really use that type of control setting. Would make a kick ass game even more kick ass.

Vercimber

ACESmkII said:
Thanks for the replies.

Since this is a game that looks like it requires very quick responses, the only thing I'm a little worried about is getting minor input lag while playing on my plasma. Or is this a non issue?

Non-issue. I play it on a plasma. You won't regret playing this game. Or buying a Wii for it. It's that good.

Vercimber said:
This is my favorite game of this generation. Bursting with creativity.
It's going to be high on my list.

I feel bad as I haven't given it the proper amount of time yet. My girlfriend and I beat the game on easy in a single sitting on launch day and I gave it some very pathetic solo time a little bit after that. Seeing this thread pop up is going to make me give it some time this weekend though.

Busaiku

ACESmkII said:

Last boss is ridiculous.
But then again, I played Sin & Punishment on easy, but I only played Star Successor on hard.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hiltz said:
If Starfox 64 can look and play well on the 3DS, then why not Sin & Punishment 3DS ? The constantly changing camera perspective and laser bullets blowing past your face would be mind blowing.
Because d-pad + stylus controls can die in a fire, that's why.

/ left-handed hate

Vercimber

maeda said:
What's wrong with using face buttons to move the character?

I understand your suggestion, but that's an awkward and ultimately poor solution for a game that requires extremely quick, seamless, and constant movement. The face buttons become viable as a workaround for games like certain 1st person or 3rd person shooters in which the pacing is far more conservative. Not here.

Davidion

I invited friends over to play and was livid when I realized that there's no character for the second player. It's seriously the biggest damper on what is otherwise an awesome game.

Davidion said:
I invited friends over to play and was livid when I realized that there's no character for the second player. It's seriously the biggest damper on what is otherwise an awesome game.
I actually liked this, it felt a lot like Super Mario Galaxy 2's co-op mode in that you could invite somebody to play with you and they could actively participate and help, but not hinder. Great for non-gamer girlfriends, or little brothers/sisters, for instance.

maeda

Vercimber said:
I understand your suggestion, but that's an awkward and ultimately poor solution for a game that requires extremely quick, seamless, and constant movement. The face buttons become viable as a workaround for games like certain 1st person or 3rd person shooters in which the pacing is far more conservative. Not here.
That's too bad then. :(
Edit: I really can't wait for the announcement of Treasure's 3DS game!

NEO0MJ

Vercimber said:

Plus the face buttons for the 3DS are too thin and wide(???) to be used as a d-pad replacement, unlike the original DS where the buttons were flat, wide and close to each other, like it was designed with lefties in mind.

totowhoa

Banned
Damn, I need to boot this game up again. Played the shit out of this when it came out. I really wish Nintendo would just buy Treasure since they almost exclusively develop on their hardware, or I wish Treasure would branch out and throw some HD stuff our way outside of the XBLA stuff. Those Dolphin screens are just another testament ... I need to get that going on my PC.

maeda

I am kind of curious though, how did you lefties manage throughout so many generations, where you had to control movements with your left hand? All of my left-handed friends use controls for right-handed players, all because they have been trained to use regular controls during previous gens.

NEO0MJ

maeda said:
I am kind of curious though, how did you lefties manage throughout so many generations, where you had to control movements with your left hand? All of my left-handed friends use controls for right-handed players, all because they have been trained to use regular controls during previous gens.

Stuff like buttons and sticks don't really require much dexterity to use and are pretty interchangeable(have no problems using the arrows to control and letter for action on PC games), even pointer controls are somewhat OK. But using the stylus is too difficult with my right hand.

maeda

NEO0MJ said:
Stuff like buttons and sticks don't really require much dexterity to use and are pretty interchangeable(have no problems using the arrows to control and letter for action on PC games), even pointer controls are somewhat OK. But using the stylus is too difficult with my right hand.
I see... Makes sense!

I've owned this game since launch but this is the first time for me to play it (damn this huge backlog!). Just finished Level 0 and it's going to take a while for me to get used to the controls. I keep double tapping left or right to dodge, thanks to other games. Pretty cool music so far. The models look good sometimes and bad other times. How long is the story mode, anyone know?

Just finished Stage 5 on Normal with Isa. Died quiet a bit but this game is good. It sucks this game is in the damn bargain bin. It doesn't belong there. Man and it's only been out for a little over a year.

Mockingbird said:
Just beat stage 6 on Normal with Isa. Man I died so many times. I can't imagine this on Hard. Thank goodness for checkpoints.

It's not really that much harder IMO anyway. It's just Normal Mode with more enemies and you take a bit more damage. The game's mode unlocks really take away a lot of the sting of Hard Mode away. Seeing as once you get to unlocking that stuff you're very familiar with the game and its mechanics to deal with it without putting yourself in harm's way.

And I just wanted to share the review I just did on this game with GAF. A couple of warnings though. First, the review is an hour long. I also go on a bunch of tangents about Treasure, Xenoblade and for some reason Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge. Everything else however is about the game in question and very informative if I do say so myself. So watch it if you get a chance. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZr0V5pI4w

I had a friend over. He noticed my Sin and Punishment 2 poster and inquired about the game. I hooked my Wii up and let him play for the first time and he had a blast with it, until he got overwhelmed by one of the bosses.

Looking back I should have jumped in on 2P. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Chuckpebble said:
You seem to have the same problem I do. Our big burly man voices are hell on a microphone. I'm watching though.

I know. I try to edit it out the best I can but I can never quite find something that works for fixing that no matter what I do. But as long as you can hear me and the message gets across then I'm fine with that.

Up to stage 3 with Kachi on Easy now, which is easy. Only doing it to unlock the levels in stage select. Is Hard not much harder? There's not more bullets on screen? I know the enemies have more health.

Mockingbird said:
Up to stage 3 with Kachi on Easy now, which is easy. Only doing it to unlock the levels in stage select. Is Hard not much harder? There's not more bullets on screen? I know the enemies have more health.
You take more damage per hit as well.

_dementia said:
I had a friend over. He noticed my Sin and Punishment 2 poster and inquired about the game. I hooked my Wii up and let him play for the first time and he had a blast with it, until he got overwhelmed by one of the bosses.

Looking back I should have jumped in on 2P. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Fuck, now I want an S&P 2 poster really bad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mockingbird said:
I swear everything does 50 damage in hard.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Some boss patterns/attacks are different on hard. I remember the first thing I said out loud at the final boss: "That shit moves now?!"

MechaX

Tain said:
Are there no layout changes on hard?

Layout? Not really. But the bosses definitely do have new patterns, as mentioned above. (IE, the boss just doing things it will never do in lower difficulties or certain attacks doing different things)

Sixfortyfive said:
Some boss patterns/attacks are different on hard. I remember the first thing I said out loud at the final boss: "That shit moves now?!"

What? That's not fair...

I beat it on Easy with Kachi then beat Stage 0 on Hard with the unlocked mode. Man there are some sections where I know I'm going to be dreading. Most particular is the fishing section in Stage 6 and the part right before the first save point on Stage 7. Those parts gave me trouble even on Easy. I only died two or three times overall on Easy though.

Effect

Sixfortyfive said:
Yikes. Even on the lowest setting the game can be difficult. The difficulty settings make this game crazy and insanely hard. That's just if you focus on completing the levels. Trying to go for high scores and keep multipliers is something else as well.

Emitan

Stuck on that frog dude in the waterfall and have been for months. Every time I see this thread bumped I pick up the game and try again.

Top Bottom