• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Found it on clearance at Target a few days back, but returned it this morning and just ordered it off Newegg. Looking forward to having my ass handed to me. :D :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The people at HARDCORE GAMING 101 just updated their Sin and Punishment article to cover the sequel: http://hardcoregaming101.net/sinandpunishment/sinandpunishment.htm

Kurt Kalata said:
Treasure has always had something of a spotty track record with sequels. Games like Gunstar Super Heroes, Guardian Heroes Advance and Bangai-O Spirits are all fine games, but they all falter in one way or another - Gunstar Super Heroes for stripping down its mechanics, and the other two for almost completely reworking the experience. Sin and Punishment 2, though, is probably the only Treasure sequel that not only stacks up the original game, but exceeds it, resulting in not only one the company's best titles, but one of the absolute must-haves for Wii.

He's right!

Model 500

Model 500 said:
Finally ordered this :)

Played the first 2 or 3 stages (can't even remember) and learned that this game is not for me. Didn't really get into the first one either. I just don't like the feel of the game :( This happened to me with Rez as well. I think I'll give it another chance one of these days though.

A question for you S&P vets out there.

Should I be using the boy or the girl? At first I thought auto-lock-on would be great, but it's starting to feel a little too sticky.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Use one character on Easy, the other on Normal, and then both on Hard.

Personally, I also like swapping their lock-on abilities after unlocking the option for it.

What I'm really digging about the game so far is the way its constantly turning its core mechanics into something new. One minute you're playing an on-rails shooter, the next, a little bullet-hell dodging game, then flying through rings, a side scrolling beat-em-up. It's very much like Mario Galaxy in that regard.

And I love the Contra vibe from stage 0.

Llyranor

Just got a Wii yesterday. Hated the main Wii interface. Using the wiimote to navigate/type stuff is terrible.

And then this game has perfect controls. It feels completely natural with wiimote aiming.

Playing on normal first, finished mission 3. Amazing game, amazing controls.

Is it even worth getting the N64 prequel, given the controls?

Sixfortyfive

Llyranor said:
Just got a Wii yesterday. Hated the main Wii interface. Using the wiimote to navigate/type stuff is terrible.
FWIW, you can also navigate the main menu with a Classic Controller, but not a GCN controller for some reason.

The N64 game is still pretty solid imo but it depends on what controller you use for it. N64 > CC Pro > CC > GCN. You don't want a controller with squishy shoulder buttons for that game, especially with the default control settings.

Chairhome

After missing out on when it first went on clearance, I finally found a copy on clearance at a Target in PA while on travel for work :-D. Can't wait to get started on this, but I have a few games to finish first...

Dave Long

Banned
This game has been on Target clearance and is $15 at Amazon or $16 at Newegg. No excuses for anyone at that price. Too much awesome in one box.

Hiltz

Sin & Punishment 2's easy mode is easy. The only really hard parts are the final boss (the last part of it) and the stage 4's second boss if you're not careful.

Personally, I still like Sin & Punishment 1 a bit more than the sequel even though both are good games.

Combat in the first game takes place on the ground so you have to memorize when to jump over attacks. The first game requires you to do way more jumping in order to dodge certain enemy attacks and environmental hazards which basically makes the game more challenging and skill-based, at least in my opinion.

The biggest factor as to whether you'll like or hate the first game is due to the complex control scheme with an obvious learning curve (playing the sequel will help a little but not by much). I'd highly recommend using a GameCube controller (using control scheme type 3 in the game's options menu) but you can also use a classic controller as well. The complexity comes with learning how to simultaneously move and jump over attacks while shooting or slashing, and deflecting projectiles back at enemies and the environment. However, once you get used to the controls, you'll notice a big difference in how much better you'll get at the game to the point where you'll be able to beat it while rarely ever dying.The controls are comfortable and don't really feel archaic even though they can't compare to the Wii remote IR pointer's speed and precision.

Sixfortyfive

My favorite part of the first game is the mini-boss type thing that comes right before the aircraft carrier, where you're running and jumping over a bunch of pits, strafing around walls and the enemy's attacks, and trying to follow the trail of point markers all at the same time. It's something that the second game just can't do because you can just fly all over the screen at almost all times.

I still prefer the sequel overall though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite part of the first game is the mini-boss type thing that comes right before the aircraft carrier, where you're running and jumping over a bunch of pits, strafing around walls and the enemy's attacks, and trying to follow the trail of point markers all at the same time. It's something that the second game just can't do because you can just fly all over the screen at almost all times.

That was the hardest part of the game hands down

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sharkington said:
Is the easy mode actually easy? I'm really only interested in the game as something to do while I listen to podcasts.

It's challenging enough to keep you on your toes during a first-time playthrough.

And the soundtrack is fucking great, don't do that.

Woah, this game is amazing. I love how it can shift in tone to avoid combat fatigue while still keeping its instantly accessible mechanics unlike other games which shoo in platforming elements. Really amazing and trancy. Love how there's so much background stuff to kill as well so you take care of everything you can handle and choose when you can't. It's so amazingly design, I think it's my second favorite game of the year behind SMG2. Going to have to find more games like this.

Azure J

Just played this today after going down a hefty list of Wii Christmas games the family got. Holy fuuuuuuuuck this game is too damn awesome.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Such an incredible game. I'm at the final boss now and he's a major pain in the ass. It's hard to deal with some of his attacks, like when he shoots out 2 red lasers and a swarm of red lava bits. It seems impossible to not take damage there. Even in the vids I've watched of the fight players get hit a bunch at that point. Tough as nails.

Azure J

Just chiming in to say everyone needs to play this game. That includes you. Yes you, the one currently reading my post.

Also, I fucking neeeeed the soundtrack to this game. :lol

Kard8p3

Got this game for Christmas and I'm blown away. I honestly didn't expect to like this game but it's incredibly fun. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.

Creamium said:
Such an incredible game. I'm at the final boss now and he's a major pain in the ass. It's hard to deal with some of his attacks, like when he shoots out 2 red lasers and a swarm of red lava bits. It seems impossible to not take damage there. Even in the vids I've watched of the fight players get hit a bunch at that point. Tough as nails.

I could never avoid getting hit there. Are you playing on Normal or Hard? Playing that boss on Hard destroyed my soul. I can never get it back.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Freezie KO said:
I could never avoid getting hit there. Are you playing on Normal or Hard? Playing that boss on Hard destroyed my soul. I can never get it back.

Normal. Luckily I found a trick online. You should save up your charge shot for after his first attack. This interrupts his sword swinging motion and he'll do only one sword swipe, making that attack far less dangerous. Apparently there are more useful charge shot timings to interrupt some of his attacks, but I managed to nail him with just that one.

I find this boss pretty impressive design-wise. He has tons of attacks, there are ways to disrupt his pattern and he even combines attacks sometimes. If you don't know how to deal with each and every move, you're done. So yeah I can see this guy being a pain on hard.

Now on to the second phase

Creamium said:
Normal. Luckily I found a trick online. You should save up your charge shot for after his first attack. This interrupts his sword swinging motion and he'll do only one sword swipe, making that attack far less dangerous. Apparently there are more useful charge shot timings to interrupt some of his attacks, but I managed to nail him with just that one.

I find this boss pretty impressive design-wise. He has tons of attacks, there are ways to disrupt his pattern and he even combines attacks sometimes. If you don't know how to deal with each and every move, you're done. So yeah I can see this guy being a pain on hard.

Now on to the second phase

I was actually informed about that interruption in this thread quite a few pages back. Deja vu. :lol

But this was after I beat him on Hard, and I wasn't going back to that. I beat it on Hard once, and that's enough for my ego. I tried it on another playthrough for Normal though. I definitely agree that the boss is well-designed. Although I'll admit to finding the counter to his spear attack online (when you strike and he draws you close enough to melee him).

Busaiku

Yeah, I got to the last boss (on hard) way back in July.
I tried over a dozen times and just gave up.

If I jump back into it now, I know I'll fare much worse.
I'm probably gonna have to restart to get my bearings.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This was voted as Gamasutra's top underrated game of the year.

Gamasutra said:
The sequel to one of the Nintendo 64’s strongest titles exhibits a great many of those traits that has maintained developer Treasure’s position as Japan’s leading boutique developer. This on-rails shooter, like so many other games in the company’s oeuvre, offers a relentless conveyor belt of inspired ideas, distinct, discrete moments of brilliance that dizzy the mind with their intensity and inventiveness.

It’s un-sustainably expensive game-making, the fixed positions of enemies and immovable set-pieces leaving no room for padding with procedural battles. Rather, every moment in this rollercoaster ride of twitch shooting has been meticulously orchestrated with a brand of care and creative attention rarely seen today.

As with its forebear, your character exists only on a 2D plane, firing into the screen as per Space Harrier. But the camera wheels and dives around, shifting perspective in ways that thrill and changing the language of interaction from side-scroller to top-down to vertical shoot-'em-up and back again.

Being a Treasure game, the spectacle is buoyed by score attack mechanics that inspire repeat play long after the visual treats and surprises have grown cold. Despite the level of craftsmanship and inspiration, the game is perhaps something of an anachronism, its workmanlike graphical assets failing to draw the attention of the Wii audience.

Nevertheless, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is one of the strongest titles of the year, bold evidence that Japanese developers on many counts still produce the most thrilling and inventive video games for those with eyes to see.

I wouldn't call it underrated. Just overlooked.

Dascu

The Wii had a rather fantastic 2010, didn't it? And imagine, Zelda was originally supposed to be released by now as well.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Just got this from newegg, but I can't find my numchuck. Are there alternate control methods? What's the preferred way to play. (I have a classic controller, wiimote, and GC wavebird).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
bistromathics said:
Just got this from newegg, but I can't find my numchuck. Are there alternate control methods? What's the preferred way to play. (I have a classic controller, wiimote, and GC wavebird).

You can play with the Classic Controller and the WaveBird, but you would be missing out. This game is made for Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Boogiepop

Finished up Normal mode with Isa for my first runthrough a little back, and certainly plan to play some more eventually anyway (it's a bit down on my priorities, though, as I have a lot of other games to beat) but... are there any real qualitative differences/unlockables or anything for beating the game with Kachi or on hard mode, or are you pretty much just doing it to challenge yourself and master the game? Same for medals and stuff, I guess.

This game is truly ridiculous in the best possible way. My friend and I opened my copy tonight and played straight through on co-op without any breaks, and without even noticing the passage of time. The mechanics are so finely tuned that it's difficult to really find fault in anything, and I must once again praise Treasure for such a magnificent job.

Emitan

I just started playing this last night after getting it in the Newegg sale. I'm almost at the end of Stage 3 (at least I think I'm at the final boss of that area) and I've been playing with Isa on Normal. I tried using the girl on Stage 0 just to test her out and she seems a little pointless. The autoaim will constantly lock onto a really strong enemy and leave me with no way to attack weaker ones first without using the A button to switch locked on targets. Should I just stick with Isa? And am I less of a man by bumping it down to easy mode? Normal mode's bosses are starting to get really annoying and I don't feel like I'm really getting progress if I'm just relying on checkpoints to progress.

Cygnus X-1

WTF. It is too difficult! I tried with normal mode and I was beaten very badly by the boss floating in the air at the end of first level. He screwed me so much. And there are so many things on display that I can't see properly what's going on. Shit.

Suggestions?

Top Bottom