• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
StaSeb said:
Awesome game. The action is pretty much nonstop, the bosses are impressive and plentyful. Also there is a lot of variety and crazy ideas there. I did not see that coming.
A Mario-level? A level with a rear mirror?
W00t!

I'm guessing someone broke the street date already?

And the "
Mario
" level reminds me more of Bangai-O.

StaSeb said:
Awesome game. The action is pretty much nonstop, the bosses are impressive and plentyful. Also there is a lot of variety and crazy ideas there. I did not see that coming.
A Mario-level? A level with a rear mirror?
W00t!

Spoilers much? :mad:

StaSeb

My bad, corrected the passage. But those are very very very minor things. Also the JP-Version is out long enough. So I felt the content not to be such a matter of secrecy and surprise.

But anyways... great game. And hard. Very hard. Level 3 will be a major Game Over-point for the casual gamer. :)

Oxx

Well, I'm leaving it a bit late if I want to order in time for Friday.

I can't imagine any of the supermarkets will have it and I bet it's £39.99 in Game and Gamestation.

CaVaYeRo

I'm having a blast with the game! Too much time waiting for it :D

It's easier, but the design is surprisingly surprising in many parts, just incredible.

Oh, my colleague just gave it a 9/10 and took a photo from the awesome B-side boxart:

http://www.revogamers.net/analisis/sin-punishment-successor-of-the-skies-640/1.html

S-P_caratula_reversible.jpg

It seems not many people notice this :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
CaVaYeRo said:
I'm having a blast with the game! Too much time waiting for it :D

It's easier, but the design is surprisingly surprising in many parts, just incredible.

Try Hard Mode.

Or punch yourself in the balls.

CaVaYeRo said:
Oh, my colleague just gave it a 9/10 and took a photo from the awesome B-side boxart:

http://www.revogamers.net/analisis/sin-punishment-successor-of-the-skies-640/1.html

S-P_caratula_reversible.jpg

It seems not many people notice this :lol

That better be in the NA version too!

Chido análisis, por cierto.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Naked Snake said:
Pirate now, buy later?

JUST KIDDING! Don't ban please :( :lol

It's not that I don't have anything to play.
It's that I REALLY want to play this! Now!
I was trying to get my hands on the JP demo disc that hit retailers late last year, as I have no real qualms about "pirating" a demo disc, but alas I don't think it was ever dumped. Or if it was, it wasn't until after I stopped sniffing around for it.

You know, a Wii Shop downloadable demo would be nice, NoA...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
CaVaYeRo said:

Oh shoot, I just noticed this.

Sergio Figueroa said:
Hay quienes intentan ver en Sin & Punishment una historia de lo humano, de la subversión y del interior. Para mi no hay más que una pequeña trama contada mediante escenas breves de vídeo inconexas, creadas con el propio motor de juego, y un puñado de conversaciones entre Isa, Kachi y Nebulox complicadas de enlazar. Lo que sí es verdad es que aportan el momento de respiro para rebajar un poco la tensión de la partida. Las voces llegan esta vez en inglés y también en japonés, con posibilidad de subtitularlas. Y quien quiera entender la trama, no tendrá más remedio que leer el precioso manual que incluye el juego, única forma de enterarse de las motivaciones de cada personaje o de por qué es así ese mundo.

Dual voice-acting confirmed for Europe. Not that I was doubting it.

lol at having to read the manual to understand the plot, though. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I played through the original tons of times, and without Wikipedia to kind of clarify things, the first game's plot was pretty incomprehensible too. It's all good. Just wanna shoot shit up!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mejilan said:
I played through the original tons of times, and without Wikipedia to kind of clarify things, the first game's plot was pretty incomprehensible too. It's all good. Just wanna shoot shit up!

I wanna check out the original light novel. It's in the internet, too!

Problem is, Japanese. :/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So, changes from the Japanese version (from MrMonkeyMan's forum):

mrmonkeyman said:
Played through it on easy with the English dub.

There wasn't a whole lot changed. Certain enemy attacks that were just for show before can hit and stun you now, maybe even damage you, I'm not entirely sure.
The missiles that one ship fires at the ground
near the start of stage 1 actually hurt me I think, as well as the
two eels that get blown to bits by the Brinstone
in stage 2.

Most bosses spew out around a dozen bronze coins when you beat them now. Extra points I guess.

Stage 4 had the most changes. Before the
giant toad boss were the two shrines on wheels that you would normally see at the end of the stage. They're replaced by two stationary ones that you just run by

The
green boogers
on stage 5 don't give you gold coins for killing them anymore. Not sure where the points are going to come from on this stage without them. Oh, and there was no final
race through a mine field at the end, just a bunch of towers to blow up
. Could just be an easy difficulty thing though.

Aside from those few changes (that I can remember) everything else is pretty much cosmetic. Oh, and Cock Keeper is out. It's Phoenix Keeper now.

There might be more changes on the other difficulties, in fact I'm not sure some of the things I thought were changed are actually just the way it's always been on easy difficulty.

The dub is decent. One line from the original makes an appearance before the sword fight in
stage 3
. I laughed. Ending song is untouched, you get subtitles

Let us mourn for the loss of Cock Keeper.

EDIT: Just checked Stage 5 on Easy Mode, there's no
minefield
in the Japanese version either.

Can anyone comment on the PAL version having a 60hz and 480p option?

Can't believe we still have to worry about things like this in 2010. Madworld was ruined last year because of the awful PAL 50hz slowness :(

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
I've been telling you fuckers to do this all this time!
:lol

You and me both, this has been on my wishlist from day one but I wasn't sure if I could find it a day before release. Now I simply HAVE to.

danmaku

It's out in Italy as well, just bought it at GS. Is save feature like the first game (you can save after each stage but also aim for 1CC)?

Dascu

I'm going to buy this game and play the shit out of it, I swear it, but I've got exams starting in a week or two, so I can't buy it yet but then SMG2 is going to be released and then oh god why hasn't anyone invented a machine to pause time so I can play more games.

MechaX

Given how much Europe gets screwed over in game releases, this is definitely the US's just deserts. But I mean, what in the hell is going on with NOA that they can only get this game out two months from now? Does the EU version have an english dub?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MechaX said:
Given how much Europe gets screwed over in game releases, this is definitely the US's just deserts. But I mean, what in the hell is going on with NOA that they can only get this game out two months from now?

I'm guessing they are giving it some breathing space. It was originally scheduled just a few weeks after Galaxy 2.

It would have died in the market.

MechaX said:
Does the EU version have an english dub?

Both the NA and European version have English and Japanese dubs.

danmaku

Just tried the game: ouch, my wrist! It's been a while since I turned my Wii on and I had to stop as I couldn't aim anymore :lol the game is fast and furious, no time to think and there's a crazy amount of things to gun down. Stage 1 boss kicked my ass... how do I damage him? not even his own projectiles seem to work.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
danmaku said:
Just tried the game: ouch, my wrist! It's been a while since I turned my Wii on and I had to stop as I couldn't aim anymore :lol the game is fast and furious, no time to think and there's a crazy amount of things to gun down. Stage 1 boss kicked my ass... how do I damage him? not even his own projectiles seem to work.

Stage 1 Boss:
Orion Tsang? To damage Orion you have to wait until he starts teleporting. At that point you have to rush him before he unleashes his BALLS of doom and melee with the sword. Afterwards he will send you four projectiles: those are reflectable. Rinse and repeat.

If you mean the turtle, shoot the head. Pro-tip: missile-reflect the knees, too.

[Nintex]

I bought it today, the boxart looks even better in person.

Up untill Stage 3, some sort of sky fortress and this game blows my mind, it's fast, fun, action-packed and simply spectacular.

If you have even the slightest interest in arcade games, on rail shooters, shoot 'em up or shooting stuff in general...I urge you to BUY THIS GAME

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nintendo Life review (9/10):

Nintendo Life said:
Treasure provided the ailing N64 with one of its most significant titles when it released the original Sin and Punishment a decade ago. It’s taken quite some time for the developer to top that achievement but this sequel most definitely out-guns it illustrious forbear and manages to fuse old-school shooting with modern controls and a fantastic degree of innovation. Once you’ve finished there’s arguably little else to encourage you to keep playing – aside from the temptation of pushing your scores even higher – but while it lasts Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is one of the Wii’s finest action titles and proves the machine’s hardcore credentials once and for all. Fingers are now firmly crossed that this sublime title finds the audience it so clearly deserves.

Also, a Meristation review (in Spanish): 9/10 too.

Meristation said:
Treasure's subtlety seems to know no barriers. Not happy with being the founding fathers of the genre in current times, due to a lack of competitors able to overshadow the oeuvre of the Japanese studio, Tresure combined forces with Nintendo to develop the most successful shoot 'em up of the year, as well as the most distinguished in a console's library suited to the necessities of Successors [sic] to the Sky. The sordid atmosphere of Sin and Punishment transforms the franchise into a reference point for the future; one of those "must-have" games that creates fans due to its spectacular graphic engine and its addictive gameplay.

It seems to me most people complain about the two-player mode (I TOLD YOU TREASURE) and the length, which was to be expected.

peakish

Non-import review from Eurogamer: 9/10

Here the rewards are rich, satisfying and threaded in the design. The compulsion to play through the game has not been found in manipulative shortcuts, but in graft and execution and a plethora of ideas. It is expensive game-making, for sure, but it is game-making at its absolute best. So Sin and Punishment 2 is videogame distilled, a fearsome concentrate to confound and delight, a suckerpunch reminder of what is possible in the medium if you choose not settle upon one brilliant idea, but instead embrace ten thousand.

Now that's a glowing closing remark!

Oxx

£39.99 in Game/Gamestation. Predictable but still a bit of a joke.

Didn't see it in either of the supermarkets I tried and I didn't feel comfortable asking a sales assistant for some sin and punishment.

Top Bottom