• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singularity |OT| - Anyone? No?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ravidrath said:
The fucking Tick room. This has to be one of the stupidest and most frustrating sequences I've experienced in any game ever. I've nearly gotten through it so many times, only to run out of TMD power or one of the dude blows up while I'm in my bubble, etc.

yeah, that was one of the only frustrating parts with the game. Really REALLY badly designed.

But luckily its like, what 5 min tops?

edit : Oh I remembered, use the aging function on them . What will happen is that one of them will grow and attract the attention of all the smaller ones and fight them in a bloody battle to the death. I realized this like 5 min before the game ended >_<

ntropy

Ravidrath said:
Started this yesterday, and was enjoying it, until...

The fucking Tick room. This has to be one of the stupidest and most frustrating sequences I've experienced in any game ever. I've nearly gotten through it so many times, only to run out of TMD power or one of the dude blows up while I'm in my bubble, etc.

Just grr.

I think I missed a Bio Formula or two and I'm starting over now, but... man. Not looking forward to getting back to that room.
run to one of the sides several feet before the metal steps and place a tmd bubble there. none of the ticks should touch you. shoot them after 3-4 shots and place another bubble and repeat. the time bubble is too good.

btw, this game has made the loading in hl2 annoying.

scitek

Speaking of Raven being quality, I'm playing Wolverine for the first time right now and thinking "I can't believe I missed it last year." Who the hell gave them the right to make a good movie-licensed game?

scitek said:
Speaking of Raven being quality, I'm playing Wolverine for the first time right now and thinking "I can't believe I missed it last year." Who the hell gave them the right to make a good movie-licensed game?

Is it that good? I only did the first mission or two and thought it was decent. If it gets better with the further missions, I might have to pick it up on the cheap end since I'm REALLY, REALLY, enjoying Singularity... and thanks to you!!!

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is it that good? I only did the first mission or two and thought it was decent. If it gets better with the further missions, I might have to pick it up on the cheap end since I'm REALLY, REALLY, enjoying Singularity... and thanks to you!!!

its only the 2nd best comic/movie based game...wasnt too hard to place high up since most of the others have been pure shit (except batman aa and possibly hulk/spiderman)

Ravidrath said:
Started this yesterday, and was enjoying it, until...

ya this part was extremely annoying...got past it using the time bubbles after many re-tries

nolookjones said:
its only the 2nd best comic/movie based game...wasnt too hard to place high up since most of the others have been pure shit (except batman aa and possibly hulk/spiderman)

ya this part was extremely annoying...got past it using the time bubbles after many re-tries

Wait I read that wrong, thought it said Wolfenstein for some reason! I played Wolverine. AWESOME GAME! So does anyone know if Wolfenstein get better further in? :)

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Wolverine is long, and some of the boss fights can be annoying (Gambit/Deadpool), but it's a good game. The entire game is centered around Wolverine being a killing machine, much the same way Arkham centers itself around you being Batman (not saying the two are equal).

It's one of the few games that really nails how much Wolverine would really fuck up anything. Watching him heal in realtime never got old for me.

So, because now everyone said it's good, I'll give this one a shot.

Game just recently popped onto my radar; Dead Space and BioShock are two of my favorite games this gen.

But 7 hours? That's terribly off-putting.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Game just recently popped onto my radar; Dead Space and BioShock are two of my favorite games this gen.

But 7 hours? That's terribly off-putting.

At least rent it though, its awesome. I'd say Its looking to take me about ten but I'm exploring and taking my time.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Wait I read that wrong, thought it said Wolfenstein for some reason! I played Wolverine. AWESOME GAME! So does anyone know if Wolfenstein get better further in? :)
no I've never played wolfenstein but might check it out after reading comments in this thread - is the pc version ok?

kuYuri

Played the multiplayer for the first time for roughly 3 hours just a few minutes ago. It's surprisingly fun if you have a good team and a good host.

It's class-based gameplay up to 6v6 where one team plays as the Russian soldiers and the other plays some of the creatures. There's Creatures vs. Soldiers (which is basically Team Deathmatch) and there's a round-based Attack and Defend type of mode called Exterminator. In Exterminator, the soldiers objective is to activate beacons, which allows them to progress further into the map. Once all three beacons are activated, the soldiers win. The creatures objective is to prevent the soldiers from activating the beacons within a time limit of 5 minutes. Sides switch on the second round.

Soldiers have loadouts with a primary weapon, a secondary pistol, and two perks. They can't regenerate health, but can regain health by using healing stations placed around the map or a Healer healing them. They have primary abilities based on the class which uses up E99 energy that refills slowly. Creatures can spawn with two perks, but always have the same attacks, including melee attack and usually 2 special abilities. They slowly regenerate health and E99 energy.

I just played the first hour and so far I'm liking it. Nice atmosphere, the concept of time travel has been satisfying and it's seemed to have taken all of the right aspects from Bioshock.

My one complaint would be really ugly textures on the PC version. I probably wouldn't notice too much if I was playing on one of my consoles, but with everything on max it's really underwhelming. It has a nice style though so I'll overlook it.

I look forward to playing more later. :)

Dyno

With second playthrough the time travel story really comes together.
What the girl writes in the book is seen by you in the start of the game.
They actually did a lot of other great stuff too. On hard the tall, lanky zombie creatures are a great opponent. I didn't realise it on medium, just kind of blew through them. Also, the section with Devlin is very well done and very much like a Call of Duty Horror scenario.

I played last night until the good ole' tick room. Then I put it down and enjoyed a nice scotch instead.

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Once you get past the digsite, the storyline missions really open up with nice set piece moments like an underground base and a zeppelin.

With second playthrough the time travel story really comes together.
What the girl writes in the book is seen by you in the start of the game.
They actually did a lot of other great stuff too. On hard the tall, lanky zombie creatures are a great opponent. I didn't realise it on medium, just kind of blew through them. Also, the section with Devlin is very well done and very much like a Call of Duty Horror scenario.

I thought it was real cool when I played the beginning over and saw myself in the fire. I never even noticed the first time but it is Reiko standing there.

The metroid trophy is also pretty darn amazing.

I've just finished the rail section of the game and my enthusiasm for it is dropping quite a lot. The start had a really cool atmosphere, I was quite creeped out, but as I progress I'm finding myself fighting more and more generic army dudes with an annoying female sidekick.

I'm still enjoying it, as a lot of the weapons and abilities are cool, but it's not taking advantage of what it did best at first now.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've just finished the rail section of the game and my enthusiasm for it is dropping quite a lot. The start had a really cool atmosphere, I was quite creeped out, but as I progress I'm finding myself fighting more and more generic army dudes with an annoying female sidekick.

I'm still enjoying it, as a lot of the weapons and abilities are cool, but it's not taking advantage of what it did best at first now.

Trust me it picks up quite a bit.

I just finished it this morning. Loved the the story, I am a sucker for time travel.

The shooting felt great and the game mechanics kept things interesting all the way till the end. I am looking forward to a second play thorough (and I never replay games).

kamspy

Finished it on PC this morning. The texture loading problem was greatly exaggerated for anyone wondering. I only noticed it a handful of times. Otherwise, Raven did one of the best jobs with UE3 outside of DICE and Bioware. Some of the enemy models are wonky and textures don't hold up when you've got your forehead against a wall, but everything melts together very nicely in this game. Looks really good. A sum of it's parts, if you will.

Gameplay was straight up Call of Half-Shock 2. I say that in the absolute best way possible. It's kinda the Darksiders of the FPS genre in that way.

Easily leagues better than Bioshock 2. One of my favorite FPS SP games this year. Might be number one. Gotta figure out what all I've played.:p

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've just finished the rail section of the game and my.....

The pacing gets back to how it was in the beginning right after that. Only the middle of the game is very actiony.

kamspy said:
Gameplay was straight up Call of Half-Shock 2. I say that in the absolute best way possible. It's kinda the Darksiders of the FPS genre in that way.

Easily leagues better than Bioshock 2. One of my favorite FPS SP games this year. Might be number one. Gotta figure out what all I've played.:p.

Very well put. I totally got a half-life vibe from it too. I would also say it is my favorite FPS released this year. I hope we get a sequel with alternate time lines, paradoxes, etc.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Am I the only one foolishly hoping for some DLC expansion on this? im craving for more.

Finished it recently, really good... If this game had been 1 hour longer or featured 1 more location it would've been near perfect.

kamspy said:
Finished it on PC this morning. The texture loading problem was greatly exaggerated for anyone wondering. I only noticed it a handful of times. .
I completely disagree. Every other room for me is a blurry mess. It's really bad.

I'm glad to hear the pacing gets back to how I like it though. :)

Borrowed this from a mate. I dunno, I think it's okay but feel the TMD stuff is just a bit too generic and overly limiting to be something genuinely exciting. I'm going through the motions, killing some dudes and ungracefully trying to find ways to use the device. It's certainly nowhere near open-ended as far how one approaches combat as you may be lead to believe. Maybe people wanna throw the Bioshock plasmids as a bit of a comparision, but if anything, the TMD is simply training wheels with no real wiggle room for experimentation. This is just for shootouts, nevermind it's completely funneled implementation in the environment

It honestly seems to me Raven had a much grander (shit maybe even Red Faction: Guerilla scale) idea with the time aspect, but simply bit off more than they could chew and had to dramatically scale things back.

I'll keep at it though and see if my opinion changes....

kamspy

Foliorum Viridum said:
I completely disagree. Every other room for me is a blurry mess. It's really bad.

I'm glad to hear the pacing gets back to how I like it though. :)

ATI or Nvidia? Heard it's notably worse on ATI. Nvidia here.

AgentOtaku said:
Borrowed this from a mate. I dunno, I think it's okay but feel the TMD stuff is just a bit too generic

Try out different uses for the time jello stuff. You can use it for all sorts of things other than intended.

JdFoX187

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Borrowed this from a mate. I dunno, I think it's okay but feel the TMD stuff is just a bit too generic and overly limiting to be something genuinely exciting. I'm going through the motions, killing some dudes and ungracefully trying to find ways to use the device. It's certainly nowhere near open-ended as far how one approaches combat as you may be lead to believe. Maybe people wanna throw the Bioshock plasmids as a bit of a comparision, but if anything, the TMD is simply training wheels with no real wiggle room for experimentation. This is just for shootouts, nevermind it's completely funneled implementation in the environment

It honestly seems to me Raven had a much grander (shit maybe even Red Faction: Guerilla scale) idea with the time aspect, but simply bit off more than they could chew and had to dramatically scale things back.

I'll keep at it though and see if my opinion changes....
It gets bettter, trust me. Toward the end of the game, I was hardly using guns. Between telekenetics, aging, reverting and all the other crazy shit you could do with the TMD, combat was a blast.

I just finished the game a few min ago and went through all of the endings. I'm impressed with how well everything fit together. Raven really had their work cut out for them. It sucks that Activision completely ignored this game. Speaking of which, does Activision even advertise any game that's not Guitar Hero or Call of Duty? I don't think I ever saw a commercial for Transformers: War for Cybertron either.

rallyart

Neo Member
Finishied a couple of hours ago, great game, easily one of the best sinle player experience i have this year....Finished a couple of hours ago, great game, easily one of the bests single player experience that I have this year....gunplay feels very nice, I just love it.

Nvidia here, and the texture problem exists, but it's nothing from other world.

I really enjoyed it , First single player game this year I have indulged myself with a second playthrough ( albeit for achievements and just to play on hard )

The only thing I didn't really like was giving the player unlimited power on the TMD near the end , although awesome it felt like it nerfed the last section

also the Audio log of the newly wed man that hung himself, Nigh on shat myself as I honestly never expected the cut to it

wipeout364

Great Game really enjoyed ti. I had the texture pop in problem as well seemed to get worse near the end.

Game was fun had a lot of influences or so it felt but blended them no make a nice game. Too bad it seems like it was sent to die.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Started yesterday. Loving the atmosphere, though not sure for how long the feeling will remain. The game did make me jump a few times in my seat though.
Yeah I too encountered the texture prob but noticed it only in one room. I hope it does not get worse.

george_us

Just beat it last night and I had a blast with it. Like others have said, they didn't do nearly enough with the TMD and I know Raven had to cut a lot of stuff out. Still, it was a great ride with some cool encounters, great atmosphere, and a surprisingly gripping story. One thing I also liked was how coherent the entire experience felt rather than feeling like a random assortment of set pieces like most first person (or third person) shooters this generation. Hope this sells well enough for a sequel just to see what else Raven could do with the TMD mechanics.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I finished the game last week and really enjoyed it. The story flowed pretty good. The TMD was pretty cool and the game looks and run great (which for a shooter is huge in my opinion).
Raven did a good job.

Except.....

Three different times I have had zero success in getting into a multiplayer game. Like three different days... I really like the mp and I'm enjoying playing for the achievements but when I honestly can't sign into a game at all it's annoying.

Anyone else having serious issues getting into mp games?

Dyno

I had to stop my hard playthrough at the bug room in the sewer. I tried aging as many as possible, time stopping the door and then blasting them all with a single wave, nothing works well enough. I get overwhelmed. Plus that is a part of the game that really needs a checkpoint once you get out of that original room.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Singularity clearly borrows a few pages from Bioshock and one or two from the Call of duty-games -- specifically the atmosphere from the former and the intense in-game cinematics from the latter. The major downsides then is a lack of originality and how the content can come across as a tad generic at times (though I did enjoy the setting and story for what it was). Even so the game manages to be an easily digested and a good singleplayer experience overall.

Double D

Just started it yesterday on the PC. I think the game looks mighty fine maxed out at 1920X1200, though I'm not the pickiest person when it comes to graphics. Yeah, It's bioshockish, but I could come up with far worse games to draw inspiration from. I just got to the point where I met the doctor and we
traveled back and forth through time and he gave me the bitchin' 'sniper time control gun'

What's the deal with that gun, anyways? can you ever just keep it in your inventory, or do you drop it every time you switch to another weapon?

see5harp

Game starts off really good with the atmosphere but I'm finding it getting more stale as the game goes on. I think Bioshock 2 was a better game in every area aside from the controls and shooting mechanics.

Dyno said:
I had to stop my hard playthrough at the bug room in the sewer. I tried aging as many as possible, time stopping the door and then blasting them all with a single wave, nothing works well enough. I get overwhelmed. Plus that is a part of the game that really needs a checkpoint once you get out of that original room.

I fucking hated this room even on Normal.
One of the instances where the mechanics don't fit the gameplay setpiece that they're throwing at you.
You want a swarmlike firefight done well, play the Resistance series...

Jerk

Banned
As I mentioned before, I get the distinct impression that you are not supposed to fight them, but are supposed to use deadlock to escape (I think by that point mine was fully upgraded.).

Speculator

BioWare Austin
ConfusedMan09 said:
Finished it. Loved it :D

Raven seem to be honing their FPS dev skills, first wolfenstein and now this. Well done!
Which is kinda sad considering they were the premier AAA FPS developer back in mid 2000s :( (JK2:Outcast, Soldier of Fortune, ST:Elite Force and not to mention the Heretic and Hexan classics).

But overall, im enjoying Singularity. Hope their next title would place themselves back on top :D

kuYuri

Truelize said:
I finished the game last week and really enjoyed it. The story flowed pretty good. The TMD was pretty cool and the game looks and run great (which for a shooter is huge in my opinion).
Raven did a good job.

Except.....

Three different times I have had zero success in getting into a multiplayer game. Like three different days... I really like the mp and I'm enjoying playing for the achievements but when I honestly can't sign into a game at all it's annoying.

Anyone else having serious issues getting into mp games?

Not alot of people are playing. I've also been dropped from games randomly, which was annoying. I think it needs a patch, but I doubt there will be any more support for this game.

Finished it. It did definitely get better again towards the end, with some crazy set pieces and nice narrative moments restoring my full enjoyment.

A really good sleeper hit overall. Not an amazing game, but definitely a solid B tier shooter that had some great ideas.

george_us

Speculator said:
Which is kinda sad considering they were the premier AAA FPS developer back in mid 2000s :( (JK2:Outcast, Soldier of Fortune, ST:Elite Force and not to mention the Heretic and Hexan classics).

But overall, im enjoying Singularity. Hope their next title would place themselves back on top :D
The only area I wouldn't consider them AAA in is production values. Design wise I feel both Wolfenstein and Singularity stands toe-to-toe with any shooter on the market right now save for anything made by Valve.

Top Bottom