• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six GTA games...and none with a car chase as good as...

Matlock

Banned
...Blues Brothers' final fourty five minutes or so.

Honestly, why? Is hardware tech just not up to the challenge?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Looking for an extended, staged/choreographed car chase scene from a game series that's largely about the sandbox philosophy of game design probably wasn't the best place to start looking in the first place...

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I had a car chase in Bf1942 today. Except we were in APCs. I was chasing two guys in an APC with our flag in CTF. The gunner was shooting at me, but my driving skills were too much for him. As soon as I caught up and we got to a turn, I rammed the vehicle into a wall(was playing Stalingrad). Vehicle caught fire, one died in explosion, flag carrier ran, shot him in back.

Best vehicle chase ever.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
kaching said:
Looking for an extended, staged/choreographed car chase scene from a game series that's largely about the sandbox philosophy of game design probably wasn't the best place to start looking in the first place...

Just because that's the principle behind the game doesn't mean something like this can't be put in.

It isn't a hardware chllange. Driver has always had some pretty good car chases since they build certain missions around that aspect.

Belfast

Um, would YOU like to play a 45-minute car chase only to fail near the end and have to repeat the entire thing?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RevenantKioku said:
Just because that's the principle behind the game doesn't mean something like this can't be put in.
Didn't say it couldn't be put in. Just said that it would better to seek this sort of thing from a game which is actually intent on heavily staged/scripted action. Why complain that a game doesn't achieve something that the developers never set out to accomplish?

Joe

its not really a chase but the car/hog sequence at the end of halo is pretty f'in sweet.

I think you meant to say "...none with a car chase as good as... Bullitt."

If a game developer could actually come close to recreating the intensity and sheer brilliance of that car chase, it would be the greatest video game ever made.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
kaching said:
Didn't say it couldn't be put in. Just said that it would better to seek this sort of thing from a game which is actually intent on heavily staged/scripted action. Why complain that a game doesn't achieve something that the developers never set out to accomplish?

Because the game scenarios are far more interesting than those with the heavily staged/scripted action.
Lets put it this way, with the base you have of GTA, how great would it be to actually go through and set up this thing. Get the mission, go find your weaponry, get your car. Meet back, and then do a big chase of some opponent, which leads into a long car chase with gunning and so on.
The freedom giving in GTA leads to a greater possible player set up, which in turn would make the staged event a lot more fun. Imagine doing the car chase, but having only a flame thrower or molotov cocktails or some shit.

Top Bottom