• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Why is there any reason to believe that the batteries in the galaxy 7 and 7 edge weren't made by the same group who manufactures this batch of batteries for the note?

I'm getting really worried here. I let my 7 year old game on my phone but won't be doing so now.

Well it's been out since April and I've seen only two cases of Edge batteries exploding. Which is fairly standard for lithium ion batteries. Damage to them or power surges can cause them to be unstable, regardless of what a manufacturer does. You can find stories of iPhones, or any other devices that use those kind of batteries exploding if you look.

Compare that to the Note 7 where there's been at least 35 in only 18 days. I think it's fairly clear that the Note 7 has a manufacturing issue.

lachesis

Well, time to visit my Verizon store and get it replaced with S7E. :( Hope they would honor the loaner program or at least would do some sort of free exchange when Note 7 returns to the market.

Mr. X

How have they not issued an official recall and disabled the phones yet. Ridiculous. I know they're just getting around to attempting to do this but jeeeeeebus.
Bureaucracy is latin for slow as fuck.

Remember, the FCC passed this device and let it through to give you an idea how well they work.

Just wait till it blows up in somebody's face wearing Gear VR

Will make for a nice Ghost Rider origin story. Everything is getting retconned lately anyway.
Well, time to visit my Verizon store and get it replaced with S7E. :( Hope they would honor the loaner program or at least would do some sort of free exchange when Note 7 returns to the market.
I got mine at BestBuy and they haven't been clear on this at all which worries me. it seems that they expect you to trade in for one of the other phones and then refund the difference which sounds like you're stuck with it after that.

Drain You

Poor kid, hopefully he gets past his fear of phones now.

Also not saying this pertains to any of the stories I've read in this thread, but I wonder if there are any people who are hoping their phones blow in hopes of monetary compensation from Samsung.

Poor kid, hopefully he gets past his fear of phones now.

Also not saying this pertains to any of the stories I've read in this thread, but I wonder if there are any people who are hoping their phones blow in hopes of monetary compensation from Samsung.

Well it is kind of like a lottery right now. There's like 2.5 million that were sold before they halted sales and they're not all blowing up... yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Note 7 exploding thing is so bad that flight attendants are asking ppl on flights not to charge or use it as per FAA regulations.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I know... I guess I'm doing the same but I really hope they do a S7 loaner. I know they will do the exchange for S7 and get refunded the difference, but I don't want that... I bought a Note 7. The $100 I'm going to get it is not worth it... I didn't buy an S7. I would rather have a full refund.

Ruff

I knew it was a terrible idea when Samsung started selling sealed battery Galaxys (After poking fun at apple for doing the same, no less) Didn't think it would bite them THIS hard in the ass though.

Maybe not the most appropriate time to talk about sales, but Apple really got lucky with this malfunction, as terrible as that sounds. The 7 is basically the 6SS but the competition is basically non-existent.

Rootbeer

Banned
Terrible to hear about cases like this.

Not looking good for you right now, Samsung.

How many thousands upon thousands of these phones are in the hands of people who aren't aware of the recall.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't change the fact that some people who do know are still not returning their phones. That's on them. I bet if their phones do explode they'll feign ignorance and will tell everyone they know about how terrible Samsung is.

Recall or no recall,it is still on Samsung that they sold a dangerous product without enough QA.

numble

No, I was saying that's the primary reason for such an escalation: to prevent more of the defective product from finding its way into people's homes.

They already stopped selling them, but they were only voluntarily recalling them.

https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

September 02, 2016

Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.

To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.

For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.

We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.

Totally, my brother still hasn't returned yet

I tried to return mine on Tuesday this week and T-mobile had no idea what was going on. I called three different stores and customer service. Customer service told me to deal with the store I bought it at and the store I bought it at told me I had to call Samsung. When I spoke to Samsung they told me I had to deal with my carrier.

I am not defending people not turning the phone in. But up until literally today no one that I know that has the phone has had any clear messaging from Samsung or their carrier.

This is stupid on a lot of levels.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Samsung have done the bare minimum in this return. Since they don't want bad PR.

- Public awareness is fuck all

- You have people like this NeoGaf poster who got fucked around by his Mobile carrier..should be made clear as day that Note 7 should be returned no questions asked.

My wife and I went in to do the recall at the Verizon store on Tuesday and the rep there said the battery problem only occurred within the first few days and since it hadn't happened to the phone yet we didn't have anything to worry about.

This was after he had to check to see if we could even do the recall since we threw the box away already.

He explained that it's not even an official recall, but rather a voluntary one and there was nothing to worry about.

^ Load of BS.

- Update should be pushed to every note 7 that tells user to please return their product every 30 mins no way people that hold on to this shit can be a risk to everyone else when they board planes and the like and go against all the guidelines outlined by airlines.

- Should take out ads in newspapers and tv warning people or be forced to by government.

In the end they will get more bad PR but do they want their product to be behind something going very wrong in the air because their users did not know or care and put everyone's safety at risk?

I shared my experience with Sprint in another thread and can tell you that this is just one giant shitshow. The carriers should be stepping up and getting these phones out of people's hands asap. There shouldn't be any hesitation when it comes to returning the phones, but if your carrier is like mine they want to keep you stuck in your contract because it's how they make money. Samsung is trying to save it's ass with the carriers and not the customers who buy the phones.

God damn. Poor kid. Trade in your phones, people. It may be annoying, but the life you safe could be your own or someone you love.

On a side note (pun not intended), I can't believe how little steam this has gathered in the mainstream press. Every news and talk show drones on and on about Apple removing a fucking headphone jack. Meanwhile, Samsung phones are burning down houses and hurting kids and I hear next to nothing.

Don't take that as a Phone Warz complaint. Fuck Apple. Fuck Samsung. Fuck Google. But mostly fuck the media for refusing to actually educate viewers about dangerous shit and instead focusing on sensationalist shit simply because they know more people pay attention when the news is about Apple.

Takuan

Was he charging it? If not, this is the first report of the note 7 just up and exploding during normal use.

Hope the kid recovers quickly. Samsung is proper fucked.

- J - D -

What are the odds that Samsung will just shelve the Note line after this and call their future big phones something else?

This is a minor disaster.

Was he charging it? If not, this is the first report of the note 7 just up and exploding during normal use.

Hope the kid recovers quickly. Samsung is proper fucked.

It is not yet known if it was charging or not. But I did however see another article where one was recently charged and it caught fire. Knowing how hot my S6 gets after charging I think what we're looking at is thermal in cause. Thermal variances in lithium-ion batteries are usually controlled by a little piece of circuitry that also controls the power of the battery. I suspect that is the failure point.

God damn. Poor kid. Trade in your phones, people. It may be annoying, but the life you safe could be your own or someone you love.

On a side note (pun not intended), I can't believe how little steam this has gathered in the mainstream press. Every news and talk show drones on and on about Apple removing a fucking headphone jack. Meanwhile, Samsung phones are burning down houses and hurting kids and I hear next to nothing.

Yeah, I don't know how this story isn't getting more mainstream press. A six year old getting burned is pretty bad optics. Maybe Samsung can ride under the radar, but if someone gods forbid dies because of a fire, they'll be in a whole different level of bad PR. And I would hope ethically the executives at Samsung would want to take every proactive measure they can to prevent that kind of situation from happening.

Vyer

Samsung can be a shady, shitty company, but damn I would have thought even they would get it together when reaching the 'phones exploding on people' point. Recall handling looks like it's been a shitshow.

Mung

Samsung should somehow kill all these phones so people stop using them. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom