• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people who bought the latest and greatest Samsung that isn't a month old are the same people who don't get on the Internet so they don't know phones are blowing up? Lol okay.

Look, Samsung fucked up big time here but I used to sell phones and people do stupid shit and think that these things can't happen to them. Especially with phones. People would rather risk it to keep their shiny new toy. Samsung needs to get more aggressive but there is a human factor here. Hell, one person in this thread says a co worker wouldn't return theirs because they think they can just charge it sporadically and nothing bad will happen. People are fucking idiots when it comes to their own safety.

Vyer

They must be good fire alarms. I've had an entire kitchen full of smoke and even with fully functional alarms, they didn't go off.

I'd probably find some new fire alarms. Getting to a kitchen full of smoke with no alarm isn't a good thing

Beefy

So people who bought the latest and greatest Samsung that isn't a month old are the same people who don't get on the Internet so they don't know phones are blowing up? Lol okay.

Look, Samsung fucked up big time here but I used to sell phones and people do stupid shit and think that these things can't happen to them. Especially with phones. People would rather risk it to keep their shiny new toy.

Not everyone that buys a new phone is completely phone savy. I worked for a mobile phone shop in the UK, very often you get people that just ask you your opinion and then accept it and buy it ( specially parents /older people). You have to remember a lot of these people would have just got the phone as it was their time to upgrade.

My mum even bought the same phone as me as I once told her I liked it. Yet she hasn't once connected to the internet with it let along know everything about it. Of course you get some people that take a chance, but I would say you have far more people that just don't have a clue.

Nevasleep

Samsung seem to be a disgusting company. From the stories posted in here about changing the battery for the Chinese market and carriers not even knowing what to do. Samsung should be stepping up, taking advertisements, getting the news out to protect their customers, making an official recall(although I believe they've started the process). I'd want a full refund, as it's a design flaw.

If I'm involved in a fire where somebody else's Note 7 was to blame, I'm going to be pissed lol.

Interfectum

Look, Samsung fucked up big time here but I used to sell phones and people do stupid shit and think that these things can't happen to them. Especially with phones. People would rather risk it to keep their shiny new toy. Samsung needs to get more aggressive but there is a human factor here. Hell, one person in this thread says a co worker wouldn't return theirs because they think they can just charge it sporadically and nothing bad will happen. People are fucking idiots when it comes to their own safety.

No, it's not the consumer's fault Samsung sold them an exploding phone. Their damage control has consisted of telling the public that only a small fraction of phones were even effected, easing people's fears that their phone could have a problem.

If anything people are just being lazy. They just got a new phone, they just got their apps downloaded and their shit setup. Now a company is telling them that their phone could be a grenade but the probability is like .01%. Some might just say "fuck it" and roll on. Samsung needs to do a mandatory recall and remote kill all effected phones.

This is why you should always register your devices. Samsung sent this out to everybody:

8NefkpF.png

And this one came a week ago:

rknJPRD.png

But if you don't register your device, you wouldn't have gotten that. That's why Samsung needs to push the carriers hard to notify people. I'm not absolving Samsung of blame at all, not one bit. They need to pay for this and work hard to win people back, but they have been communicating.

What percentage of people do you think ever register for factory warranties and the like?

What percentage of people do you think ever register for factory warranties and the like?

I'm not disagreeing, but also it says right when you start up the phone to create a Samsung account. People really shouldn't skip product registration for this very reason. That's why I said at the bottom Samsung needs to be working better with carriers to notify people with Note 7s.

Fliesen

it's really weird that Samsung doesn't have some sort of notification hook into their phones. - or maybe they can, and they just underestimated the actual rate of defects, hoping a trickling recall would alleviate any supply side issues.

I would imagine Apple could send out a mass notification with the tap of a button, right?
Just push an iMessage to every active phone that matches the faulty model.

Zafir

They must be good fire alarms. I've had an entire kitchen full of smoke and even with fully functional alarms, they didn't go off.

I'd check your fire alarms. Some salmon got slightly burned the other week and it set them of in our house, lol.

andthebeatgoeson

They warned us about these when I was boarding my plane last week. If you had one on you, you were supposed to drain the battery beforehand and then leave it off for the entire flight.

I would be completely unaware of the situation if it weren't for the airline, though. Hopefully this gets the publicity needed for people to not get hurt.
How do you drain the battery in the 20 minutes it takes to board a plane?

I would be tripping about some random not knowing about this and on his phone during a flight. Another grandpa.

oti

Banned
Great way to undo all the good word of mouth you've earned after the S6/S7, Samsung. Smh.

That's the tricky thing about trust. You have to work years in order to build it up for your brand. But make one mistake and it's gone. That's why Volkswagen is screwed as well. I've seen school kids around the age of 6 calling them liars here in Germany.

DR2K

Banned
Sorry if you didn't hear about your exploding phone Samsung did say you should maybe return it.

Samsung has a way of communicating directly with its users and it's not through the off chance you might have heard it on the news.

Huge fuck up that will harm this company for years.

Fliesen

How do you drain the battery in the 20 minutes it takes to board a plane?

I would be tripping about some random not knowing about this and on his phone during a flight. Another grandpa.

brightness up, benchmark app, i guess?

which is kinda weird and scary, since that will make the phone heat up significantly. :p

That's the tricky thing about trust. You have to work years in order to build it up for your brand. But make one mistake and it's gone. That's why Volkswagen is screwed as well. I've seen school kids around the age of 6 calling them liars here in Germany.

it's also why i still only use AppleMaps for quick location lookups but opt for GoogleMaps when i need to be sure i actually reach the correct destination.

What are the odds that Samsung will just shelve the Note line after this and call their future big phones something else?

This is a minor disaster.

Don't think the line needs to be shelved, but they need to just cancel this model and relaunch with the Note 8 alongside the Galaxy S8. As it is, the Note 7 launched 6 months after the S7 and has the same exact processor. It used to be that the Note line launched with the latest and greatest, but if they aren't doing that anymore then just release all the products at the same time S8, S8 Edge, and Note 8.

Does Samsung mail out paper Recall notices like car manufacturers do?

I never go online to check up on my vehicles, but I do occasionally get a recall notice to bring in my car for a free repair. That's the only way I know about them.

Granted, an exploding Samsung phone is getting a decent amount of press, but still. You need to go the extra mile when life and property is threatened.

I posted this in another thread and I want to repost this here just in case anyone needs help

I work for Verizon and normally I try to stay out of phonewarz BS. Anybody that works for Verizon that told you you can't return the phone is either not trained at-fucking-all or is stupid. Real talk, we have been doing a "no questions asked" return on that device for almost a week. they should have just taken the phone back and given you back your money and reset any contracts/device payments related to that device. If you need any help, please PM me and we can talk. That goes for anybody that is having a hard time returning this to a Verizon store

Does Samsung mail out paper Recall notices like car manufacturers do?

I never go online to check up on my vehicles, but I do occasionally get a recall notice to bring in my car for a free repair. That's the only way I know about them.

Granted, an exploding Samsung phone is getting a decent amount of press, but still. You need to go the extra mile when life and property is threatened.

No, there's a lot more paperwork to a vehicle that makes mailed notices easier to do. Not to mention the auto-industry has had years to get it where it is and people still miss out on recall notices.

MisterR

Sounds like you need better smoke alarms or more of them. That's kind of the point of them to go off when your house is full of smoke.

I wonder what is wrong with the batteries that make them explode so readily. Must be some severe design flaw.

In other news, a bear was observed taking a shit in the woods earlier today.
j/k

Seriously samsung how do you fuck this up this badly ?
Also if the battery was removable it would be much easier to check the phone to see if it needed a non-exploding battery replacement.

Amazing there is even a defence force for companies making phones so shitty they blow up and burn children.

I'm not defending it at all. But I think if this lady he works with is aware of the potentially dangerous issues and the recall and is wilfully ignoring it then if anything happens then she's at fault.

Mr. X

...the FCC doesn't test battery performance/health. Only SAR perfomance/or if it causes interference with other devices. Battery quality is left to the phone manufacturer.

The FCC doesn't test battery safety. That would be increasing government regulation which would never happen nowadays.
Wait, there's nothing in place to test electronics for safety and hazards?

Did you somehow miss the huge recall notice they made over a week ago?

There has been no official recall

Can we stop blaming victims in this. Samsung needs to get the fuck out in front and do more than just issuing a PR or sending an email (people don't check their emails). They need to actively be contacting and working with proper outlets to ensure customers find out.

Yet most people are making a bigger deal out of the Apple headphone jack stuff. It's nuts.

Uh, no they aren't?

This shit's all over the news. Maybe you're mistaking the hype garnered from the iPhone 7 reveal, but that's hardly indicative that "most people" are somehow ignoring this issue while making a bigger deal out of the headphone jack.

Do people really need to jump on this to shut down conversations about the headphone jack? What is the endgoal here exactly?

Fliesen

Yeah of course; in the same way BP survived the oil spill from a few years back (2010?).

Well, to be fair,
Samsung just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about mobile phone culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like...

... you know the rest ;)

Went to a T-Mobile store to return my Note 7, the sales rep was extremely rude and she kept telling me I had to call T-Mobile customer service in order to return the phone by mail. After telling her a customer service rep told me to return the phone at a T-Mobile store she told me she'll ask a manage, the manager ok'd the return.

The process took a whopping hour and 20 or so minutes. This recall is pathetic, and my old iPhone 6S feels like a child's toy compared to the Note 7. ;__;

Anybody else wondering if Samsung is going to survive this? At the very least I suspect the Note line is done.

What a clusterfuck.

This is a PR and potential safety disaster yes. But kill Samsung? Come the fuck on guys. This isn't a start up.

This isn't Volkswagen level conspiracy and cover up were they had to write off 50 billion to deal with fines and lawsuits.

Zafir

aparently the Galaxy S7 Edge have problem too

NSFW
https://www.classaction.com/news/exploding-galaxy-edge-s7-causes-3rd-degree-burns-man/

damn that leg's pic

They have different batteries.

As I said before -

Well it's been out since April and I've seen only two cases of Edge batteries exploding. Which is fairly standard for lithium ion batteries. Damage to them or power surges can cause them to be unstable, regardless of what a manufacturer does. You can find stories of iPhones, or any other devices that use those kind of batteries exploding if you look.

Compare that to the Note 7 where there's been at least 35 in only 18 days. I think it's fairly clear that the Note 7 has a manufacturing issue.

For the record, that was one of the cases I saw. :p

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
No, it's really not.

People who care enough about phones to buy a note 7 WILL have heard about this.

Love this kind of tech-elitism. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean....the only people who like really big phones with a stylus are gadget nerds who subscribe to smartphone vblogs or something? EVERYBODY has a smartphone, many like really big ones, and not everyone with a smartphone follows tech news or may even be sure what the model of the phone is. There are bound to be some people who slip through the cracks and don't know that their phone is causing explosions and has been recalled. The only way to make absolutely sure every owner knows about it is some sort of mass notification to the phones themselves.

God samsung really screwed the pooch on this phone.

Yousefb

I just went to T-Mobile to ask about recalling mine and they really put a lot of effort into downplaying it. They said stuff like "oh a bunch of us have it we're fine" or "these cases haven't really happened in the states" or "none of the T-Mobile phones are affected". They want to say if you reeeeally want to do this then call this number etc.

Curious if anyone had a similar experience.

Went to a T-Mobile store to return my Note 7, the sales rep was extremely rude and she kept telling me I had to call T-Mobile customer service in order to return the phone by mail. After telling her a customer service rep told me to return the phone at a T-Mobile store she told me she'll ask a manage, the manager ok'd the return.

The process took a whopping hour and 20 or so minutes. This recall is pathetic, and my old iPhone 6S feels like a child's toy compared to the Note 7. ;__;
Well, damn.

This is a PR and potential safety disaster yes. But kill Samsung? Come the fuck on guys. This isn't a start up.

This isn't Volkswagen level conspiracy and cover up were they had to write off 50 billion to deal with fines and lawsuits.

Well, there is still the outside possibility that

A) someone dies in one of these fires

and

B) it's discovered that Samsung not only knew about the defect, but covered it up

The shit storm would be endless, at least in the US/Europe. For the record I'm hoping that neither happens, but this could be potentially devastating for Samsung. Which is why I think it's best to recall ASAP, if anything they've been lucky so far given how close two of the incidents were to children.

Zafir

You just totally missed my point though.

I can link you articles of other phones exploding.

Lithium Ion batteries are just dangerous in certain circumstances. As I mentioned, power surges, or damage to them can cause them to catch alight.

Two or three occurrences a year is fairly standard in that sense. I don't think it suggests there is a greater problem.

Unlike the Note 7 where, there clearly is, because 35+ is an absurd number in such a short time frame.

I mean sure, if we suddenly saw a good amount of S6's or S7's exploding soon, I'd think there's an issue with those too. Until then I don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom