• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six-year old boy gets burned when a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes in his hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagamorph

Glad that an official mandatory recall seems to be underway, but Samsung really cpuld do more.
Honestly they should push out a software update that just displays a recall notice on the screen every hour or so to at least increase the voluntary recall uptake.

I wonder if there's anything they could push out to perhaps reduce the risk. Force trickle charge, limit power consumption, etc. Just to protect people in the short term.

Victim blaming

No, it's really not.

People who care enough about phones to buy a note 7 WILL have heard about this.

Many will ignore it and think "probably won't happen to me". Till it does.

Making the statement, "people need to stop using this phone" is not victim blaming........it's what everybody should be saying to everyone they know who owns this phone.

Also, anyone remember the "kill switch" governments voted to be put into smartphones to prevent theft?

Nudge, nudge.

Nere

I can't believe there are people here who defend Samsung when they royally fucked it up. How is it the consumers fault? Some people aren't on internet or tv all the time to get the message, it is Samsung's responsibility to issue a mandatory recall but they are scared. Some people here are such big fanboys that they sound like Samsung PRs, I mean how can anyone defend an exploding phone? And I say all that as an owner of a Samsung phone.

Cyanity

Banned
Does Samsung not QC control its phones? Someone HAD to have known about this issue before the launch and decided to greenlight it anyway.

Glad that an official mandatory recall seems to be underway, but Samsung really cpuld do more.
Honestly they should push out a software update that just displays a recall notice on the screen every hour or so to at least increase the voluntary recall uptake.

I wonder if there's anything they could push out to perhaps reduce the risk. Force trickle charge, limit power consumption, etc. Just to protect people in the short term.

That will take a few months because they have to apply touchwiz to the notice.

Cyanity

Banned
No, it's really not.

Making the statement, "people need to stop using this phone" is not victim blaming........it's what everybody should be saying to everyone they know who owns this phone.

Also, anyone remember the "kill switch" governments voted to be put into smartphones to prevent theft?

Nudge, nudge.

No, how about we don't put killswitches in smartphones? I'd rather a future where we can attend political protests and still tape protestors being maced by riot police, without worrying about whether the local gov. is gonna push the kill phones button.

No, it's really not.

Nudge, nudge.

Thr problem with that is people rely too much on their phones that just deactivating them remotrly could hurt a lot of people. Id be for a blanket message using the emergency alert system

Nikodemos

Samsung can be a shady, shitty company, but damn I would have thought even they would get it together when reaching the 'phones exploding on people' point. Recall handling looks like it's been a shitshow.
I'm pretty certain they're doing it slowly and low-key on purpose. Samsung have nothing apart from their brandname to separate them from the other 9324829 Android phone makers and they've been spending as much as all the other phone manufacturers combined (yes, including Apple) to keep their name first when thinking of Android phones. Anything that could reflect badly on their brand is a mortal peril.

bjork

from the quote in the OP said:
was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded. It set off alarms in my house

A shame that the boy was harmed, but I want to know what brand of alarm she's talking about.

I wonder if they'll broach this subject when they reveal their next phone. I mean, if it were Apple people would be treating it like the armageddon like bendgate/antennaegate and tim cook would be forced to hold a separate press conference and people would be fired or something.

Samsung I'm not even sure will mention it when they announce their next phone. I personally think she should have done something more public already to avoid having to do that.

Timbuktu

I wonder if they'll broach this subject when they reveal their next phone. I mean, if it were Apple people would be treating it like the armageddon like bendgate/antennaegate and tim cook would be forced to hold a separate press conference and people would be fired or something.

Samsung I'm not even sure will mention it when they announce their next phone. I personally think she should have done something more public already to avoid having to do that.

Pretty sure iPhone 7 ditching the headphone jack got more press than this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Bureaucracy is latin for slow as fuck.

Remember, the FCC passed this device and let it through to give you an idea how well they work.
...the FCC doesn't test battery performance/health. Only SAR perfomance/or if it causes interference with other devices. Battery quality is left to the phone manufacturer.

Nicktendo86

Maybe the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Probably due to the right hand being burned off after the note 7 it was holding exploded.

Seriously though, this is a terrible situation. Am I right in saying the affected batteries appear to be the ones a Samsung owned plant manufactured? This is a disgraceful episode really, a few defective phones is always going to happen with a mass-produced product. A phone that actually explodes and STILL no mandatory recall (although one is in the pipeline) is disgusting.

Gattsu25

Banned
Bureaucracy is latin for slow as fuck.

Remember, the FCC passed this device and let it through to give you an idea how well they work.
The FCC doesn't test battery safety. That would be increasing government regulation which would never happen nowadays.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yet most people are making a bigger deal out of the Apple headphone jack stuff. It's nuts.

The exploding phones wasn't an intentional decision though. This is a terrible fuckup but everyone agrees on that so there isn't much discussion to be had about it.

Fliesen

Pretty sure iPhone 7 ditching the headphone jack got more press than this.

the iPhone ANNOUNCEMENT got more press than this, of course - it's the biggest single product in history.
and part of that announcement was the removal of the headphone jack.

The galaxy note, for all intents and purposes, is just a smartphone, while the iPhone is ... well, ... the iPhone. Hence the differences in media attention.

Great parenting.
Why give a 6 year old a phone which is recalled???

Why give a 6 year old a phone at all?

because it's 2016 and that's how we consume entertainment media? It's no different than being allowed to watch kids' TV on TV. There's plenty of educational / edutainment apps for kids on the app store.

They should stop selling them altogether at this point.

Samsung should recall all of them and either cancel the model and take the loss, or replace the battery,

I think the temporary inconvenience of their customers being without a phone for a day will be greatly outweighed by thousands of your customers walking around with literal bombs in their pockets.

How is this even a debate?

They should be remotely bricking these things now, not waiting until the end of the month, who knows how many could be injured in the interim?

They should stop selling them altogether at this point.

They have.

I think the temporary inconvenience of their customers being without a phone for a day will be greatly outweighed by thousands of your customers walking around with literal bombs in their pockets.

How is this even a debate?

They should be remotely bricking these things now, not waiting until the end of the month, who knows how many could be injured in the interim?

It's not an "inconvenience". For many people, their cell is the only method of communication in their lives, whether it be for work, transportation, or emergencies. People rely so much on their mobile devices these days

br3wnor

Would love to see the risk analysis breakdown done by Samsung weighing the lawsuit potential v. more forceful recall. Crazy to think how much they're going to have to spend in legal fees/settlements over this but maybe is less than a full blown involuntary recall/worse PR from it.

They have.

It's not an "inconvenience". For many people, their cell is the only method of communication in their lives, whether it be for work, transportation, or emergencies. People rely so much on their mobile devices these days

This is like arguing for asbestos as the only means of insulating an old building. The public health hazards outweigh any day to day utility. They have devices in people's hands that can kill under normal operating stress.

This is an inappropriate time to be worried about egg on their face. Anyone met with a "your phone no longer works" message would rush back to the store for an exchange...and that's the point. Since that's going to happen with the mandatory recall anyway in 20 days, why not expedite the process?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Verizon flat out lied to me several times over the phone.

First it was new stock would come in next week (last week), and now it is at the end of the month. Yet the news is reporting that it is indefinite, and the Note 7 will need to go through retesting and recertification that could takes weeks/months.

I am going to basically annihilate verizon over customer service for how they have handled this shit.

First it was new stock would come in next week (last week), and now it is at the end of the month. Yet the news is reporting that it is indefinite, and the Note 7 will need to go through retesting and recertification that could takes weeks/months.

I am going to basically annihilate verizon over customer service for how they have handled this shit.

I would...go with literally any other feature phone at this point man.

No, it's really not.

Nudge, nudge.

Phone started being sold on the 19th Aug and recall only happened 6 days ago (6th) in most markets.. USA and a few others in last few days.
Its not hard for someone to stop listening to phone news 3 weeks after they bought it.

Check with Verizon and see if they're doing a loaner phone like T-Mobile is. Tmo is giving me an S7 to use until the updated Note 7's come out

iFirez

The recall happened over a week ago right? I mean people are just being risky hanging on to a ticking time bomb - send it back.

Feel bad for the kid though, not his fault, he didn't know better - He was probably just watching some Stampy vids on YouTube and then boom!

lawsuits anyone?

I can't even imagine. Samsung better have their lawyer armies lined up.

Is this the deepest shit Samsung has ever been in? I mean, people got seriously injured, properties were lost because of the malfunction of their product. It will be interesting how this affect their phone sale in the future. I for one will never trust their brand again.

This is why you should always register your devices. Samsung sent this out to everybody:

8NefkpF.png

And this one came a week ago:

rknJPRD.png

But if you don't register your device, you wouldn't have gotten that. That's why Samsung needs to push the carriers hard to notify people. I'm not absolving Samsung of blame at all, not one bit. They need to pay for this and work hard to win people back, but they have been communicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom