• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Pool 1 - Winners - Negus Eyoel, Losers - Lethalmind
Pool 2 - Winners - WingZero, Losers - Zero E Lopez
Pool 3 - Winners - Mr Peck, Losers - ThatOneOtherDude
Pool 4 - Winners - severin, Losers - hojimbo
Pool 5 - Winners - Duckator, Losers - MyLifeIsAnRPG
Pool 6 - Winners - McPeanuts, Losers - Elda Taluda
Pool 7 - Winners - NCV, Losers - guitalex
Pool 8 - Winners - keninblack, Losers - CyberSaikot
Pool 9 - Winners - Mike Z, Losers - inuchiyo5131
Pool 10 - Winners - worldjem, Losers - Dime_x
Pool 11 - Winners - Chilldog, Losers - Maji
Pool 12 - Winners - stealth_killz, Losers - MC Assassin
Pool 13 - Winners - Zidiane, Losers - Viro_Veteruscy
Pool 14 - Winners - Winnie, Losers - Grinta
Pool 15 - Winners - KhaosMuffins, Losers - Nekro_Surge
Pool 16 - Winners - TJgamer22, Losers - NxVxRDie

Easier to copy and paste. I recognize (and fought) a lot of handles here. It'd be nice if we could get top 32 or at least top 16 streamed instead of top 8. A lot of good action may be missed by the time we hit 8PM PST.

Wait, Mike Z is playing? That's not fair, I think.

I disagree. The fact that he's probably far more accustomed to Squigly Edition aside, the community as a whole has had more than a year to acclimate themselves to the Skullgirls game and get around its mechanics. It's not like MikeZ is consistently winning any of the weekly Skullbat online tournaments either so, despite being the developer, he's probably not the best Skullgirls player at EVO at the moment.

alstein

I disagree. The fact that he's probably far more accustomed to Squigly Edition aside, the community as a whole has had more than a year to acclimate themselves to the Skullgirls game and get around its mechanics. It's not like MikeZ is consistently winning any of the weekly Skullbat online tournaments either so, despite being the developer, he's probably not the best Skullgirls player at EVO at the moment.

Mike Z is doing about as well at Skullgirls as Sirlin did at HDR.

As long as there aren't any exploits that only he knows about and can use, then he's playing on the same level as everyone else.

Of course, he can change the rules of the game whenever he wants, but when he does everyone else gets to play by those same rules, so it's still fair.

Ravidrath

This is the best shirt at Evo - you should buy one.

http://www.eightysixedclothing.com/skullgirls-evo-2013/

How'd the panel go yesterday, Ravi? Did you guys manage to record that as well?

Esteban from MAQL recorded it.

I wasn't there - I stayed behind to run the booth. But the guys said it went well.

First half was the team, second was the VAs. Apparently the VA half was pretty good and funny?

Wait, Skullgirls pools were yesterday? And they weren't streamed?! Maaaaaan, this sucks!

I hope someone streams Top 32.

Mobile streaming here is almost impossible - everyone's trying to get on the 4G, and pretty much none of the carriers are working.

So probably just going to be Top 8, I'm afraid. :\

El Sloth

Banned
Mobile streaming here is almost impossible - everyone's trying to get on the 4G, and pretty much none of the carriers are working.

So probably just going to be Top 8, I'm afraid. :\
Bunch of side tournies competing for bandwidth. Oh well. Better than nothing!

NEO0MJ

I agree with you. It's not fair to all the other fighters that Mike gets all up in his game's ass to figure out how to best balance it.

Someone call Niitsuma and have him put in a 20 man Mahvel Kumite.

You know, it would be fun to see fighting game devs play their game. Other than Mike Z I don't know if any of them had any tournament experience.

Mike and Earl entered for fun, but are explicitly forbidden to win. They weren't allowed to leave pools.

I see.

This is the best shirt at Evo - you should buy one.

http://www.eightysixedclothing.com/skullgirls-evo-2013/

Elizabeth, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune reveal at mystery EVO panel =O

BPGypLLCMAAwfln.jpg

Stay salty, pipsqueak

El Sloth

Banned
With Rog retiring from Marvel it would be amazing and hilarious if he picked up Skullgirls.

'Course he won't since there isn't a healthy to support reliable tournament payouts. Still, it'd be cool.
Top 8 will stream at 8 PT on http://www.twitchtv.com/srkevo2 .

Top 8 are...

Severin
Duckator
KenInBlack
Inuchiyo5131
Chilldog
Winnie
KhaosMuffins
TJgamer22​
A video of Inuchiyo playing Guitalex was the first video of a Japanese skullgirls player that I saw. It shortly after the release in Japan. Awesome to see that he flew all the way out to compete.

Beckx

Top 8 was so good.

Such a shame Severin had that home button moment, but Duck was pretty dominant in GF anyway. Sev's combos were so insane to watch.

I'm still kicking myself for missing Top 8 live, but watching it after the fact was still pretty hype, and it was great to see so many people turn out to watch. I'm grateful that the Evo staff hasn't cleared the archives yet, because these matches are fantastic.

Top 8 was so good.

Such a shame Severin had that home button moment, but Duck was pretty dominant in GF anyway. Sev's combos were so insane to watch.

There was one part during his match with TJ Master that had me in stitches - when he DHC'd from Double's Bandwagon into Parasoul's Motor Brigade, and the bikes still hit OTG.

Airan

Tried to have some matches last night on beta online, is the net code supposed to be this atrocious? I've 70ish ping to my opponent and even with 5 frame delay the characters twitch all over the fucking place, and the sounds all funky too.

Tried to have some matches last night on beta online, is the net code supposed to be this atrocious? I've 70ish ping to my opponent and even with 5 frame delay the characters twitch all over the fucking place, and the sounds all funky too.

I don't think anyone's found a solution as to why some matches suffer rollback like crazy, I tend to just leave the matches that I find where people are like that. For me at least, the matches like that represent a minority and I can hit people with 200+ ping and still have very smooth matches so whatever the problem is it seems to be independent of the persons connection.

alstein

IT's a real problem- and about 50% of my matches, especially after a few matches come in. I suspect it's either or both of people not playing fullscreen and having poor rigs, or some sort of memory leak.

No, but this is the beta after all.

TheOGB

Banned
I want that shirt so bad but the timing is terrible because I have no money for it ;~;

Get Alex to design another shirt! xP

You can still order them online:

If you use the code EVO2013, you get 20% off, too.
This put it over the top. Just ordered it and with that my chances of getting dishonored from the steam sale went to 0.

I'm finished
I want that shirt so bad but the timing is terrible because I have no money for it ;~;

Get Alex to design another shirt! xP
Eightysixed has too many good designs now. I'd pick up at least one other shirt if I could spare the cash.

I didn't know the team was leaving so early. :(

It was cool seeing the team in action, seeing all the fans spazzing over everything, watching top eight live, and talking to ravid in person.

Hopefully I can make it back to EVO next year.

alstein

At this point, all the community is going to have to do to become an official game at Evo is show up to majors.

The game is going to grow with the added content and folks looking for something new.

SG folks seem to genuinely enjoy their game regardless, the SG and VF communities remind me of each other in all the good ways.

I bought the Evo shirt. I'm spending as much on shipping as I am on the shirt. :)

I'm going to try and make it out to UFGT or CEO next year, so I hope the SG community pulls numbers to either if those events.

This is going to be a great year for SG. BB, Eliza and possibly RF might be finished by next July. We're going to see more variety and more players. I think BB especially will get people intrigued.

It's sad that what will get this game picked up isn't just "more stuff and continual rebalances", but "this character is a dude", but oh well.

Mr. X

You can still order them online:

If you use the code EVO2013, you get 20% off, too.

Damn I ordered my shirt Saturday thinking it was ending Sunday since I would be busy and it would've saved me $4. I see no option to cancel my order so I can repurchase w/ the code. >:/

Edit: Shit, gonna PM Danny. With the discount code, I can grab the PokerChips shirt.

Edit Edit: Ravid, please tell Danny to check his Skullheart PMs

Top Bottom