• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

MP is the singing which gives no fucks about what the other is doing and drags them to you while also creating a pseudo corner.

MK is the spear which ignores projectiles and if it hits drags them to you and in stagger.

I feel like Painwheel really needs two kinds of assists to do well:

2) A "get in" assist. Napalm Pillar isn't going to help me get in on Peacock, and Painwheel definitely needs help getting in on Peacock. A ranged assist also allows something of a keepaway game for Painwheel. In mean, in Painwheel vs. Painwheel, you can just fly away from your opponent and call Shadow of Impending Doom H all day, and it's really hard for your opponent to do anything about that.

So yeah, I was really satisfied with the theoretical composition of my team. Now Peacock doesn't really have her role, so I need to reconfigure it.

Which of those two are you willing to forgo for a lockdown/low hitting assist?

Then if not cr.HP have you messed with Squigly's Sing Assist at all? It's one thing to look for an assist that'll help you get in on Peacock but Sing will literally bring Peacock to you. Unfortunately the assist itself is prone to getting tagged by the projectiles you're having trouble with in the matchup.

Branching away from Squigly assists it seems like the most obvious choice is to go with something like Cerebella Lock N Load H. It's probably the single best assist in the game to deal with the projectiles shes throwing out on the screen because it'll absorb 3(4?) projectiles alone and move about 3/4ths of the screen forward. It accomplishes your need for getting in on your opponent while also pretty much clearing the screen of any bombs Peacock is throwing out at the time.

Are those the songs? I don't care for those for Painwheel because I need to be able to fly away.

Anyway, question: how do projectile clashes work in this game? Is it like Marvel, where they have durability points? Is there a list of durability points somewhere? I'm curious how much of a beating my good friend George can take.

No durability system in this game as far as I know but ...
Beams > Everything (only beam is first part of Argus Agony)
Every single projectile is stopped / destroyed by any other projectile, so Double's gun shot, Peacock Bombs, Painwheel Needles all negate eachother equally. The only possible exception is Parasoul's Napalm Shots because they aren't technically destroyed when they interact with another projectile, they stop and are considered "placed" where they'll detonate after X amount of time.

Currently at a con with Squigly's VA as a guest. Can't wait to get her to sign a Squigly shirt & poster and take a pic with her
Post it!

MP is the singing which gives no fucks about what the other is doing and drags them to you while also creating a pseudo corner.

MK is the spear which ignores projectiles and if it hits drags them to you and in stagger.
Ah, right. Silver Chord doesn't feel great for Painwheel because it only reaches mid-screen. If it was full-screen, it would definitely be my go-to assist.

Then if not cr.HP have you messed with Squigly's Sing Assist at all? It's one thing to look for an assist that'll help you get in on Peacock but Sing will literally bring Peacock to you. Unfortunately the assist itself is prone to getting tagged by the projectiles you're having trouble with in the matchup.

Branching away from Squigly assists it seems like the most obvious choice is to go with something like Cerebella Lock N Load H. It's probably the single best assist in the game to deal with the projectiles shes throwing out on the screen because it'll absorb 3(4?) projectiles alone and move about 3/4ths of the screen forward. It accomplishes your need for getting in on your opponent while also pretty much clearing the screen of any bombs Peacock is throwing out at the time.
What about George's Day Out?

I mentioned before that I feel like Squigly's Sing assist can hurt me just as much as it can help me. Painwheel isn't like Filia, who can zip across the screen with massive hitboxes and crazy pressure. She kind of has to pick her time to attack carefully. Sing would be a little too...counterpicky for me. I like to have one team that can handle everything.

No durability system in this game as far as I know but ...
Beams > Everything (only beam is first part of Argus Agony)
Every single projectile is stopped / destroyed by any other projectile, so Double's gun shot, Peacock Bombs, Painwheel Needles all negate eachother equally. The only possible exception is Parasoul's Napalm Shots because they aren't technically destroyed when they interact with another projectile, they stop and are considered "placed" where they'll detonate after X amount of time.
Hmm, fascinating. Is there a list of what projectiles George walks under? If he walks under Peacock's gunshots and Napalm Shot, that would be great.

El Sloth

Banned
Hmm, fascinating. Is there a list of what projectiles George walks under? If he walks under Peacock's gunshots and Napalm Shot, that would be great.
He does. It's great watching him just ignore all of it. I don't think he can walk under the napalm shots when they explode though.

Is there going to be PC and PS3 cross platform? My friend bought skullgirls for the ps3, and was wondering if it's possible for me to play him?

Dahbomb

I just beat all the tutorals and when I got to Squigly's missions they seem bugged. I can't seem to progress past the hold down the QCF + P moves tutorial.

Is there a known bug with that?

Also what character is the easiest? I am playing Parasoul but I have no idea how to play this game lol. Game is good though, I had fun with the tutorials though.

And who's the derp top tier? Gotta bandwagon hardcore. :p

I just beat all the tutorals and when I got to Squigly's missions they seem bugged. I can't seem to progress past the hold down the QCF + P moves tutorial.

Is there a known bug with that?

Also what character is the easiest? I am playing Parasoul but I have no idea how to play this game lol. Game is good though, I had fun with the tutorials though.

And who's the derp top tier? Gotta bandwagon hardcore. :p
Quick and easy character summaries:
Filia - probably the most derp; has an air dash and can air-dash cancel on block or hit; has a dp, and has high priority invincible hypers that lead to full combos

Parasoul - think Guile, but Sonic Bomb leaves a bomb on the stage; lots of command normals; Gimlet hyper

Ms. Fortune - rushdown character with an air dash; can detach her head and use it for mix-ups; rekkas, dp; hard to play IMO

Painwheel - Sentinel but with S tier mix-ups

Peacock - Cable with a teleport and air dash

Cerebella - grappler that gets huge damage off of her grapples; armored run move, projectile reflect that causes a wall bounce

Double - mostly an anchor character; has a teleport dash (Hsien-ko but good), big normals, Ouroboros, and Rapid Slash

Valentine - rushdown air dash character with a command grab; can resurrect teammates by spending 5 bars; vial attacks can really fuck you up by either making you take more hit/blockstun or poisoning you; big normals

Squigly - charge attacks to power them up and release later; Stalking Flare; Sing locks out opponents from backing up; j.HP is sort of like Ghost Rider j.S; "Get Over Here!"

Everyone has good assists except for Painwheel.

Evo 2013 Grand Finals if you want ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-_GEgYqwA

Keep in mind that with custom assists, nearly anything is an assist. That includes throws.

Her new headless playstyle and separate launchers are fucking with me.
What's the new headless playstyle? Is there a cumulative changelog for everything that would account for differences between the current Beta version and the PS3 version? It's time to start educating myself on all these changes.

Quick and easy character summaries:
Filia - probably the most derp; has an air dash and can air-dash cancel on block or hit; has a dp, and has high priority invincible hypers that lead to full combos. Her level 3 is also the most explosive AA in the game and she can make her DP safe with super hairballs.

Parasoul - think Guile, but Sonic Bomb leaves a bomb on the stage; lots of command normals; Gimlet hyper. BB's "Cool Hunting" level 3 that you can roman cancel and a bullet sponge egret that dives in front of projectiles secret service style. Also, the biggest normals in the game alongside Squigly and Valentine.

Ms. Fortune - rushdown character with an air dash; can detach her head and use it for mix-ups; rekkas, dp; hard to play IMO. Her head can dp and she is one of the three characters with an air super (PW and Valentine).

Painwheel - Sentinel but with S tier mix-ups. Lots of armored moves and an install hyper that makes everything scary and really painful. More or less her own X-factor

Peacock - Cable with a teleport and air dash. Not to mention a level 3 grab for the most painful grab resets in the game. Also, her three gun shots can be timed differently and she has tracking overhead (think single hidden missile).

Cerebella - grappler that gets huge damage off of her grapples; armored run move, projectile reflect that causes a wall bounce. Her run can be canceled at any point and you can use it for left right mixups. Her level 1 grab is also nearly on par with level 3 supers in damage.

Double - mostly an anchor character; has a teleport dash (Hsien-ko but good), big normals, Ouroboros, and Rapid Slash. Not to mention Wesker's long range pistol game.

Valentine - rushdown air dash character with a command grab; can resurrect teammates by spending 5 bars; vial attacks can really fuck you up by either making you take more hit/blockstun or poisoning you; big normals. And the cheapest grab resets in the game.

Squigly - charge attacks to power them up and release later; Stalking Flare; Sing locks out opponents from backing up; j.HP is sort of like Ghost Rider j.S; "Get Over Here!". Bonus points on the auto correcting divekicks and level 1 supers (one front, the other AA and the other right overhead) that make approaching her the most dangerous game.

Everyone has good assists except for Painwheel.

Evo 2013 Grand Finals if you want ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-_GEgYqwA

Keep in mind that with custom assists, nearly anything is an assist. That includes throws.
Some extras

Dahbomb

I had already started on Filia before reading all those texts. Looks I know what I am going to be using!

Doing IADs on keyboard is hard though... I like her IAD j. MP.

Can someone give me some DERP BABY MODE Filia combos? I know how to link her hypers now at least.

Double can't dash-cancel the pistol shot, can she? I wouldn't think of her as a Wesker equivalent unless she could. It's just a basic projectile.

I had already started on Filia before reading all those texts. Looks I know what I am going to be using!

Can someone give me some DERP BABY MODE Filia combos? I know how to link her hypers now at least.
j.HP is really good, and you can cancel it into j.HK on block for a double overhead.

Easy Filia bnb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZMxhl4Hns

Oh boy that's a beginner combo?

Well at least doing the chain combos aren't that hard. Guess gotta bring it down to muscle memory.
Skullgirls is really reset-oriented, so if you suck at combos like I do, once you do that first aerial series and restand the opponent, go for an instant overhead, low, or throw reset. The general rule of Skullgirls is "don't end combos with meter unless they kill".

started playing the pc beta today.
is there any good place to get infos on bnbs?everything on srk is like a year old.
The video I pulled for Dahbomb was the second Youtube result.

Unfortunately, Skullheart, the Skullgirls forum where all Skullgirls knowledge is contained, got wiped out this week for reasons unknown.

Dahbomb

How do you restand opponent?

I can get parts of that combo down, I get the basic layout of the combo and what to do but it's damn hard for me on a keyboard. It would've been easy as hell on a controller. Oh well...

I just did the combo and the dummy got red and broke me out of the combo.... what????

How do you restand opponent?

I can get parts of that combo down, I get the basic layout of the combo and what to do but it's damn hard for me on a keyboard. It would've been easy as hell on a controller. Oh well...

I just did the combo and the dummy got red and broke me out of the combo.... what????
Oh...in the latest patch some things have been changed with the combo system. I may have given you a combo that no longer works.

Basically, Skullgirls works on a system called IPS, and...I only faintly understand it, but if your combo uses too many of the same moves, the opponent can combo break. It's the Skullgirls answer to infinites. That's why Skullgirls combos are all very confusing; there are no loops to abuse because any loop is breakable. Though you can bait breaks.

You restand opponents just by hitting them in the aerial series and bringing them to the ground. Lots of stuff restands. Someone who understands the combo system much better than I do can probably give you a more thorough answer.

Off the top of my head

(Jump in), cLK, sMK, sHP
jMK/jHK (chatacter specifiv), j.qcb+HK xx air dash, jMP, jHK (restand)
sMK, sHP
jLP, jLK, jMP, jHK xx j.qcb+MP xx qcb+KK

Should work, is relatively simple, gives you decent reset opportunities, and gets you used to Fillia's airball xx air dash and restands. You can still OTG or use a second super after qcb+KK if you want too.

Dahbomb

What you can cancel the air ball into air dash?

Game changer.

What's a good partner for Filia? I don't think I can handle player her alone.

Dahbomb

Those mix ups are ridiculous. Seems like the character benefits from a lock down assist to set up the high lows.

So I just restand with j.MP, j. HK low to the ground.

The IAD with j.LK into j. HK is absurd. That's the shit I am looking for because I was trying to tri dash with the Ls like Magneto but the hit stun was low, this was what I wanted.

The CCCCHHHHHEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP stuff.

IPS for newbies:

Don't start a chain with a normal or special you have used before, unless that normal or special was the first thing you hit with, in which case you can use it one more time before it is consumed. Grounded normals and jumping normals are consumed seperately. You can do an air dash in your first air combo and then use the same normal you used to start the chain before you air dashed. A chain is considered as being used even if you do not chain off it.

Astarte

Is there a way to fight against friends that doesn't involve the both of us looking for each other in Africa or the Middle East?

IPS for newbies:

Don't start a chain with a normal or special you have used before, unless that normal or special was the first thing you hit with, in which case you can use it one more time before it is consumed. Grounded normals and jumping normals are consumed seperately. You can do an air dash in your first air combo and then use the same normal you used to start the chain before you air dashed. A chain is considered as being used even if you do not chain off it.
I need like...10 examples of contrasting situations to really understand what all this means.

Dahbomb

I need like...10 examples of contrasting situations to really understand what all this means.
I was about to say the exact same thing!

This IPS system unintuitive as fuck. I am just going to stick to BnBs I see online rather than trying to experiment myself.

(Jump in), cLK, sMK, sHP
jMK/jHK (chatacter specifiv), j.qcb+HK xx air dash, jMP, jHK (restand)
sMK, sHP
jLP, jLK, jMP, jHK xx j.qcb+MP xx qcb+KK
So let's say on the second relaunch, I start with either j.MK or j.MP... I would get combo broken?

Go to training mode, and notice the part that mentions the combo stage. IIRC, 1 means anything goes, 3 counts the jumping and grounded buttons as separate, and at 5 if you start a chain with ANYTHING you've used already, air or not, it can be bursted.

Short and simple version, try not to start chains with anything you've used as a starter before.

I was about to say the exact same thing!

This IPS system unintuitive as fuck. I am just going to stick to BnBs I see online rather than trying to experiment myself.
It's going to get worse, too. The IPS system was too easy to abuse, so now there's going to be MvC2-style dizzy mechanic added in that calculates separately from IPS.

Go to training mode, and notice the part that mentions the combo stage. IIRC, 1 means anything goes, 3 counts the jumping and grounded buttons as separate, and at 5 if you start a chain with ANYTHING you've used already, air or not, it can be bursted.

Short and simple version, try not to start chains with anything you've used as a starter before.
What about 2 and 4? Throws put you right into stage 5, right?

Honestly, I have no idea on 2 and 4 since those kinda get skipped on my combos.

Also, yes, throws put you straight up in don't repeat buttons territory.

Okay, so let's pretend we have a magical character that can combo everything into everything.

You start your combo with lp, mk, hk, and it launches. So now you do an air-combo,lk hp. We can loop that in this air combo, so we can dash and do lk hp again.

Thanks to IPS, if I re-jump and do another air combo, I cannot use lk in that air combo as a starter to a chain. It will trigger IPS! If I'd done HP dash HP firstbinstead, I could then do lk Hp after I re-jump.

The same general principle applies to the entire system.

Nyoro SF

Can't wait for lobbies. Right now online it's a violent difference of players who are godlike and players who have no idea what's going on lol.

Okay, so let's pretend we have a magical character that can combo everything into everything.

You start your combo with lp, mk, hk, and it launches. So now you do an air-combo,lk hp. We can loop that in this air combo, so we can dash and do lk hp again.

Thanks to IPS, if I re-jump and do another air combo, I cannot use lk in that air combo as a starter to a chain. It will trigger IPS! If I'd done HP dash HP firstbinstead, I could then do lk Hp after I re-jump.

The same general principle applies to the entire system.
This is what doesn't make sense to me; here is my noob Painwheel bnb:
j.H, c.LK, c.MK, s.HP, fly,
j.LK, c.MK, c.HP, qcf.L
s.LP, s.MP, j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
s.LP, s.MP, reset

Now why can I do s.LP, s.MP again, but if I do s.LP, s.MP, j.MP again, it breaks?

I'm gonna guess it's the ips level.
More specifically, because the latter is two chains.

j.LK, c.MK, c.HP, qcf.L
s.LP, s.MP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
s.LP, s.MP,
J.MP (IPS goes into no repeat mode on this hit)

Bolded is the offender, italicized only gets away with it because of the IPS level.

guitalex

Neo Member
This is what doesn't make sense to me; here is my noob Painwheel bnb:
j.LK, c.MK, c.HP, qcf.L
s.LP, s.MP, j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
s.LP, s.MP, reset

Now why can I do s.LP, s.MP again, but if I do s.LP, s.MP, j.MP again, it breaks?
Here's a good reason.

You must have written the combo wrong. I literally tried the combo as written and the s.LP triggers IPS. Assuming the combo was written properly, maybe you dropped it after qcf+LP and didn't realize it.

OR you hit s.LP after qf+LP but it never came out, so s.MP started that chain, which would explain why s.LP can be hit later and j.MP can't.

El Sloth

Banned
Level 2 sing should make it un-jumpable.
Nice.

lcmDXBV.jpg

Top Bottom