• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ohnonono

I am having a ton of fun with this game. I am not very good but hopefully time heals that :). So far Filia and Cerrabella are my favorites.

There's a tournament coming up for PC edition of Skullgirls? Hoo boy, I'd better set my other games aside and get to grinding out my Cerebella/Squigly team, lest I go two and out like I did at the Skullgirls EVO tourney. I hope these tournaments fall during weeks in which I don't work. In any case, I'm hyped about the prospect!

So I can't do matches with red pings, definitely.

And apparently if your opponent rage quits it's still counted as your loss.
My router if fine and works for all the games so it's not my router. :/
But anyway thanks to based Mike Z., the online now works a lot better so I don't have that problem since yesterday.
I was ready to go medieval again because I couldn't find anyone after searching for ten minutes. Turns out verifying the game cache fixed that right up. The netcode feels much better today. Pings like 250 are gonna cause sound issues and rollbacks unless you up your delay a bit more than 2.

What's the current BnB for Squigly btw? Since I have no laptop at the moment I've been out of the loop on Squigly tech and want to start getting ready for the tournament so I can do better than I did at the Evo Squigly tournament :T

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Plug it in, config your buttons HDR/Blazblue style, since this isn't GFWL, a PS3 stick works fine.

One thing that annoys me about SF4 on PC is I have to config my dual-mod to 360.
IIRC the problem with madcatz ps3 fightsticks was that it was compatible with only certain usb chipsets, what is this GFWL problem? [i cant even think how GFWL could do that]

hupla

Im having a lot of fun playing Peacock/bella! Im not super great and am mostly just playing keep away with peacocks George attacks and Bang hard and medium when people get up close but i feel like im learning bit by bit. Im using Cerecopter as my assist but can anyone suggest a good one to have Peacock use?

What's the current BnB for Squigly btw? Since I have no laptop at the moment I've been out of the loop on Squigly tech and want to start getting ready for the tournament so I can do better than I did at the Evo Squigly tournament :T
st.lp, st.mp, st.hk, j.lp, j.mp, j.hk, st.lp, st.mp, st.jk, j.lk, j.mk, j.hk, st.lk, st.mp, st.hp, silver chord, daisy pusher, I dunno... anything you want at this point

You can also replace st.hp with cf(crouching forward).mp cr.hp which should be a low hitting flame attack that combos into silver chord. She can do pretty much anything she wants in combos and you can get some sick damage if you use some of her charged stance attacks early on (like liver mortis/one inch punch) with daisy pusher.

Also, jp.hp can replace j.hk in many combos. This is especially true in the corner.
Squigly is pretty fun, someone teach me how to fighting games.
Key things for Squigly...
st.HK is the standard launcher. Most of Squig's standing attacks can combo into this so that is how start the air chain.

qcf.lk will give you a multihitting special that should be safe on block. The best move to end a blockstring safely so you don't get punished.

qcb.kk (super battle opera?) is one of her level one supers. It works ultra well in corners and after ground grabs if you want extra damage.

qcb.pp is her level 3 super. A fantastic AA level 3 for those people who won't quit with the Q.Bee IAD (instant air dash) nonsense.

qcb.lk+lp (grab input) is her daisy pusher super. This is my personal favorite, but it is situational. The best time to use it is the middle of a combo on a stunned opponent that can't jump. The best set up is probably right after Squigly's silver chord (qcf.mk) you can do anything you want after that.

cr.mk is probably one of her best crouching normals because it's hitbox extends super far. This is good if you want to launch a downed opponent into the air (cr.mk+st.hk) for some air combos.

Advice:
Don't mash like a man on fire. This will get you eviscerated. Block low when on the ground unless you think your opponent is going to grab you (no breaking grabs while crouching) so you won't get caught with lows. If you are meeting someone in the air and you think they won't super than air grab like your life depends on it. Grab resets are grabs in the middle or at the end of a combo. These are really good in the corner. Practice the qcf (quarter circle forward) and qcb (quarter circle back) motions. These two motions are central to 95% of the specials and supers in the game no matter what character you pick. Oh, and try all of your character's move on point. Pick your favorites and keep them in mind for your assist choices. Squigly has a lot of good assists.

Also, stances are not very complicated. Charging is a matter of qcf.(whichever button) which charges the attack to it's level 2 form which is more powerful. To cancel punching stances so you can have charged punching moves you press a kick button (preferably light kick). You do the exact opposite with kicking stance so you have charged kick moves.

alstein

Im having a lot of fun playing Peacock/bella! Im not super great and am mostly just playing keep away with peacocks George attacks and Bang hard and medium when people get up close but i feel like im learning bit by bit. Im using Cerecopter as my assist but can anyone suggest a good one to have Peacock use?

I use George at the air show wiht the same team, sometimes screwball cannonball.

YOu have to guess what the opponent likes to do to get the best assist.

Personally, I suggest for Cerebella trying either Devil Horns (dp+MP), Lock and Loaded M or H, or the Battletoads headbutt since they seem like good defensive options for Peacocks which she needs more than the lockdown/mixup assist that is Cerecopter.

st.lp, st.mp, st.hk, j.lp, j.mp, j.hk, st.lp, st.mp, st.jk, j.lk, j.mk, j.hk, st.lk, st.mp, st.hp, silver chord, daisy pusher, I dunno... anything you want at this point

Aww no divekicks anymore? I liked restanding eith them. Gonna need to retrain muscle memory.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Advice:
Don't mash like a man on fire. This will get you eviscerated. Block low when on the ground unless you think your opponent is going to grab you (no breaking grabs while crouching) so you won't get caught with lows. If you are meeting someone in the air and you think they won't super than air grab like your life depends on it. Grab resets are grabs in the middle or at the end of a combo. These are really good in the corner. Practice the qcf (quarter circle forward) and qcb (quarter circle back) motions. These two motions are central to 95% of the specials and supers in the game no matter what character you pick. Oh, and try all of your character's move on point. Pick your favorites and keep them in mind for your assist choices. Squigly has a lot of good assists.

crouchtech is going to be a hard thing to unlearn.

Busaiku

Hey, so the code from being an Ally, is it only for the Beta, or does it become the full game once it hits Steam officially?
Not really sure how Steam works or anything, so I figure I can give away my code if so.

It turns out that I needed to install a 360 controller driver.

And yeah, Skullgirls Beta is out of my computer's league. I had to put the window at like 600x300 or something to get it to even register most of my inputs. It was still laggy though, and the backgrounds wouldn't load for the stages. The load time was a good 3 minutes to go into training mode. It's just not going to happen. :-(

However, I was glad to get to try the new Painwheel changes how (LOVE THEM) and Squigly. I actually really don't like Squigly, and it doesn't look like she has any assists that are really good for Painwheel, either. The dp move is lackluster since it allows for air recovery, and the hitbox seems smaller than Napalm PIillar's. I tried playing around with her, and I just wasn't feeling it. I'm sure she's a good character, she's just not my kind of character. The only attacks she has that I like is j.HP and the underground snake move, but those require charging to function.

So, it looks like I am sticking to Painwheel/Parasoul/Peacock for now - the three Ps! Maybe once Eliza is in it can become the PEP Squad. ;-)

Since my primary assist got fucked in the ass, I need to figure out a new Peacock assist, though. I really like playing her, so I'd rather figure out a new assist option than give her up. This really does make me sad, though. I messed around with qcf.HP, and it doesn't seem like it offers a whole lot. qcf.LK seemed interesting. After that I got tired of waiting 3 minutes to reload training time, haha.

Napalm Pillar is the highest priority DP in the game, right?

Oh yeah, and welcome Dahbomb to the world of Skullgirls. ;-)

Peacock's qcf.hk (George's air show) is hilarious and an awesome assist if you want to dominate your opponents and keep them on the ground. This was my go-to assist with Parasoul. This was a nightmare for Filia and Painwheel players. Peacock's st.hp is also good because it is a projectile and it causes blockstun up close since it hits twice. Her qcf.mk is also very good on the ground because you can use it to keep constant pressure on your opponents. Her walking bomb assist (qcf.lk) spends too much time on the stage if you ask me.

Peacock's qcf.hk (George's air show) is hilarious and an awesome assist if you want to dominate your opponents and keep them on the ground. This was my go-to assist with Parasoul. This was a nightmare for Filia and Painwheel players.
But I'm trying to play Painwheel, not kill her. :p

I'll miss how free Painwheel mirrors were when I backed her with Shadow of Impending Doom H. :-(

Oh yeah, and where can I go to provide feedback on the beta? There's one change I really, really did not like with Painwheel.

Dahbomb

Any way to restore the settings to default?

I fucked up the keyboard controls big time and I can't do anything in the game now.

And if anyone knows the keyboard default controls that would be helpful too.

I fucked up the keyboard controls big time and I can't do anything in the game now.

When you go into controls you should be able to reset everything. There's a selection for default controls.

I don't know what the attack inputs are on the keyboard, but it seemed to me like:
A = select this menu option
X = go back

Dahbomb

Nah I fucked up the settings so bad I have to redownload the game now.

You can't seem to be able to set directional inputs to WASD and you can't see to map attack buttons to J or various other buttons. This seems like a colossal oversight... like they are pretty much alienating anyone who wants to play this on a keyboard.

Beats

Defaults are:

A - LP
S - MP
D - HP
Z - LK
X - MK
C - HK
Arrow Keys

El Sloth

Banned
Hey, so the code from being an Ally, is it only for the Beta, or does it become the full game once it hits Steam officially?
Not really sure how Steam works or anything, so I figure I can give away my code if so.
Was that the name for $30 dollar tier (later $36)? That tier and above automatically get the PC game and beta. So if you're one of those, then yeah you get the full game. The beta is sticking around though even after release.

joe2187

Banned
It turns out that I needed to install a 360 controller driver.

And yeah, Skullgirls Beta is out of my computer's league. I had to put the window at like 600x300 or something to get it to even register most of my inputs. It was still laggy though, and the backgrounds wouldn't load for the stages. The load time was a good 3 minutes to go into training mode. It's just not going to happen. :-(

You can turn off 3D backgrounds to make the game play better if you're having issues.

But I'm trying to play Painwheel, not kill her. :p

I'll miss how free Painwheel mirrors were when I backed her with Shadow of Impending Doom H. :-(

Oh yeah, and where can I go to provide feedback on the beta? There's one change I really, really did not like with Painwheel.
Steam library->community hub->announcement->Comment and maybe Mike will answer

The next best choice is to just camp out in the irc. When the wippler shows up you can talk to him in real time. He is there daily at different times of the day. He likes to make night appearances. This is easier if you ask me.

You can't seem to be able to set directional inputs to WASD and you can't see to map attack buttons to J or various other buttons. This seems like a colossal oversight... like they are pretty much alienating anyone who wants to play this on a keyboard.
Computer->C drive->users->user name->my documents->Skullgirls->Save data

I believe deleting everything inside (not the save data folder itself) resets everything. I had an even worse issue where the game wouldn't start and doing that fixed everything right up.
You can turn off 3D backgrounds to make the game play better if you're having issues.
This helped me when I run SG with a billion tabs open on Chrome and Opera. The 2D Medici Tower is a great stage anyway. I don't know if it will help, though. Karsticles' laptop sounds older than McCain.

LuffyZoro

I asked the same question.

My Documents/Skullgirls there is a file for the button config

Best way is to delete the file and then relaunch the game, that will set everything to defaults.

It's really annoying having Keyboard 2 always enabled, I can't rebind my keys to what I want (WASD to move). I'm really, really enjoying the game though, I also have a spare beta key I might throw towards modbot.

Busaiku

Was that the name for $30 dollar tier (later $36)? That tier and above automatically get the PC game and beta. So if you're one of those, then yeah you get the full game. The beta is sticking around though even after release.

I think Ally was the $250 tier, right?
Well, whatever, that means I've got it.

Lock N Load H (QCF+HP) and Battletoads (Charge Back -> Forward HP+HK is the input to show up as a custom assist) though Cerecopter is a fine assist.

However, I was glad to get to try the new Painwheel changes how (LOVE THEM) and Squigly. I actually really don't like Squigly, and it doesn't look like she has any assists that are really good for Painwheel, either. The dp move is lackluster since it allows for air recovery, and the hitbox seems smaller than Napalm PIillar's. I tried playing around with her, and I just wasn't feeling it. I'm sure she's a good character, she's just not my kind of character. The only attacks she has that I like is j.HP and the underground snake move, but those require charging to function.

Squigly's cr.HP assist is absolutely filthy with Painwheel on point. Your opponent's always going to want to block high against a flying Painwheel and the assist will hit them low and give you more than enough time to hitconfirm. Also doubles as a great lockdown assist.

Since my primary assist got fucked in the ass, I need to figure out a new Peacock assist, though. I really like playing her, so I'd rather figure out a new assist option than give her up. This really does make me sad, though. I messed around with qcf.HP, and it doesn't seem like it offers a whole lot. qcf.LK seemed interesting. After that I got tired of waiting 3 minutes to reload training time, haha.

Napalm Pillar is the highest priority DP in the game, right?

Try raw HP as it doubles as a 2 hit lockdown and projectile assist. The Georges all synergize really well with Parasoul's style of pressure as well.

Squigly's cr.HP assist is absolutely filthy with Painwheel on point. Your opponent's always going to want to block high against a flying Painwheel and the assist will hit them low and give you more than enough time to hitconfirm. Also doubles as a great lockdown assist.

Squigly is just an amazing assist machine overall, she has an assist for pretty much every basic team need in at least one way and then some.

Wow, fuck 3D backgrounds. Switching it to 2D backgrounds did a world of favors for my computer. LabZero should set that as the default.

The c.HP hits low for the entire duration of the fire? That seems like a long time to create unblockables. It's not really my style of Painwheel, though. I prefer to use her as a space control character.

Try raw HP as it doubles as a 2 hit lockdown and projectile assist. The Georges all synergize really well with Parasoul's style of pressure as well.
I tried that, and it didn't seem much better than qcf.H. I might go with a George assist. Maybe I'll be even happier with the team. /shrug

The c.HP hits low for the entire duration of the fire? That seems like a long time to create unblockables. It's not really my style of Painwheel, though. I prefer to use her as a space control character.

Unblockables don't exist even in the pseudo-unblockable MvC3 way in which they're just impossibly hard to block mixups, there are mechanics that prevent it.

Dahbomb

Doesn't the game lock out simultaneous high/low attacks if they are too close to each other? I remember seeing that as a feature of the game to avoid soft unblockables.

Edit: Beaten already.

Unblockables don't exist even in the pseudo-unblockable MvC3 way in which they're just impossibly hard to block mixups, there are mechanics that prevent it.
Fascinating.

That makes c.HP even less desirable, though. :p I would just go with Valentine if I wanted up-close mix-ups since her throw is so good.

Jeeves

Since Skullheart is down and its guides along with it, could someone suggest some BnBs for me to practice with Fortune and Valentine?

I'm really jealous of the Valentine juggles I've been seeing on Salty Cupcakes. Haven't worked out how to actually do it myself. In my attempts I've been getting pretty comfortable with s.LP x3, s.MP x2, s.MK, c.HP, j.LP, j.MP, j.MK and then usually a heavy air attack AD canceled into itself again, but I usually can't continue the combo after that.

Ravidrath

You can fix it by deleting the save data in your My Documents / Games / Skullgirls directory.

And, uh, I'm pretty sure you should be able to WASD. You should submit a bug report to bugreport (at) labzerogames (dot) com.

Fascinating.

That makes c.HP even less desirable, though. :p I would just go with Valentine if I wanted up-close mix-ups since her throw is so good.

The point is that you don't need it to be unblockable though, all Squigly has to do is get the first hit low and you can proceed with a combo from the deception alone. Ah well, suit yourself. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wow squiggly is awesome, oh and boo at losing Ms.Fortune's hk launcher with head on how am I supposed to mindlessly rush down now?

The point is that you don't need it to be unblockable though, all Squigly has to do is get the first hit low and you can proceed with a combo from the deception alone. Ah well, suit yourself. :p
I feel like Painwheel really needs two kinds of assists to do well:
1) A "get off me" assist. She has no reversals and the armor is not reliable. Otherwise, once someone gets in on you the game is not going to be won. I use Napalm Pillar because Parasoul is a somewhat enjoyable character, and Napalm Pillar goes reeeeally high. Against a lot of characters, I hover near them and call Napalm Pillar, and that's like 90% of my neutral.

2) A "get in" assist. Napalm Pillar isn't going to help me get in on Peacock, and Painwheel definitely needs help getting in on Peacock. A ranged assist also allows something of a keepaway game for Painwheel. In mean, in Painwheel vs. Painwheel, you can just fly away from your opponent and call Shadow of Impending Doom H all day, and it's really hard for your opponent to do anything about that.

So yeah, I was really satisfied with the theoretical composition of my team. Now Peacock doesn't really have her role, so I need to reconfigure it.

Which of those two are you willing to forgo for a lockdown/low hitting assist?

Squigly is such a perfect get in assist that she's a clear Peacock counterpick. Qcf+MP or MK are amazing for that.
Are those the songs? I don't care for those for Painwheel because I need to be able to fly away.

Anyway, question: how do projectile clashes work in this game? Is it like Marvel, where they have durability points? Is there a list of durability points somewhere? I'm curious how much of a beating my good friend George can take.

Top Bottom