• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

I say pre-order but I'm biased since I already have and love this.

Still, it's either getting into the beta or saving a couple more dollars later from an already cheap game. You choose.

I say pre-order but I'm biased since I already have and love this.

Still, it's either getting into the beta or saving a couple more dollars later from an already cheap game. You choose.

Where do I download the beta?

Ravidrath said:
The color pack DLC is also free with the pre-order, too.

You do make a good point since if I just buy it later, I won't be getting the dlc palette for free.

Goon Boon

Banned
I would also like to know about how the hats are progressing.

Answer found via the twitter :

VfuPbjh.jpg

Beats

Hmm, if I remember correctly there was a poll/survey during the voting campaign that talked about extra stuff for the game(?) like mission mode/world tour etc. Were the results of that made public yet?

Ravidrath

Posting this...!

Skullgirls PC Beta Tournament Has Over $2000 in Prizes
Tournament lasts from August 14th to August 21st

Los Angeles, CA – August 1st, 2013 – Marvelous AQL, Autumn Games and Lab Zero Games will be holding an online tournament for the PC version of their critically-acclaimed 2D fighting game, Skullgirls.

The top 20 tournament winners will receive prizes with a combined worth of over $2000, to be announced at a later date.

The beta version of Skullgirls has a number of changes and improvements over the current console version, including improved balance and the inclusion of the first DLC character, Squigly. Like its console counterparts, the PC version of Skullgirls’ online play is powered by the rock-solid, lag-free GGPO networking library.

To obtain a Steam code for the beta, one must pre-order the game at any of the participating digital stores, or get a code from a participating media partner.

Stores
GameFly, GamersGate, Gamefly, Origin, Steam

Media Partners
CheapAssGamer, Destructoid, Polygon, Shacknews, Siliconera

Codes distributed by media partners are restricted-use codes, but will offer full access to the game’s multiplayer modes until the game’s official release on August 22nd. Beta codes received from Lab Zero Games’ wildly successful Indiegogo campaign or pre-orders will never expire, letting players test new changes and characters before their official release.

Once a player has access to the beta, to enter the tournament players simply need to register at the following URL:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jYjhiye3DPWJ0xavflKa_Ua0pS8XxRzk28nKasntDro/viewform

Registration will be capped at 1024 participants.

Here is the schedule for the tournament:

8/5 - 8/9: Registration
8/11 - 8/13: Announcement of pools and times
8/14 - 8/19: Pools
8/20 - 8/21: Finals

Tournament participants and the general public can track the progress of the tournament at the following URLs:

Pools
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup1
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup2
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup3
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup4
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup5
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup6
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup7
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbgroup8

Finals
http://labzerogames.challonge.com/sgpcbfinal

Sign up to receive Skullgirls news at http://www.skullgirls.com, become a fan on Facebook or follow @Skullgirls on Twitter for game updates, giveaways, exclusive artwork, and more. Skullgirls is rated T for teen by the ESRB. Visit www.esrb.org for rating information.

No, but this code is GFDAUG20

Will the preorders be up until the game actually comes out?
Thanks
I signed up. Might as well, even though I'm probably not making it past my first round.
I signed up. Might as well, even if I'm destined to get bodied in my first match. :lol
Don't worry, guys. Your sacrifices will make Discoshark, Krackatoa and myself stronger than ever. A gaffer will take this one.

TheOGB

Banned
Ah what the fuck, I'll sign up. But just so I don't fuck up, we use what we log into Steam with (and not our Profile/Public Name), correct?

Don't worry, guys. Your sacrifices will make Discoshark, Krackatoa and myself stronger than ever. A gaffer will take this one.
Collusion?!
u8tYmFo.png

Saikyo

Tried to play the beta now, but story mode is locked. Is this right?

2013_08_02_00025.jpg

I think this is related to the feedback I send about the portuguese translation : x

I am also accepting sacrifices btw.

My laptop should be back by the time this starts unless something happens. It starts right when school does though, ugh, and my schedule isn't exactly the friendliest for this but I'll try.

Collusion?!
u8tYmFo.png
You better believe it. Hate for me is gonna be at a "new time high", baby.
I am also accepting sacrifices btw.

My laptop should be back by the time this starts unless something happens. It starts right when school does though, ugh, and my schedule isn't exactly the friendliest for this but I'll try.
I hope you have better luck with the online than I do. It has gotten worse and worse this week. Now matches take forever to find and when I do find a green ping it lags to hell or I get massive rollbacks.

It go so bad I had to send an email the the bugreport staff. :/

Edit: I think this nonsense started around the 27th.

What is this thing you call a green ping
1-85: Green
86-150(?): Yellow
151+: Red

I don't pay enough attention to know exactly where the cutoffs are. Usually West coast people register somewhere between the low eighties and high nineties. I've fought people with 200+ ping (some Euro and some with Japanese names) and experienced almost zero lag or rollbacks.

So I went to my locals for the second time tonight, and I pretty much played Skullgirls for 4 hours. You know a local scene is good when there are 2 Skullgirls setups, 2 Marvel setups, 1 Street Fighter setup, and no Tekken. Good times - I had a blast. I can't wait for the patch to come out so I can sit down and re-learn my characters.

Oh yeah, and I just found out that Shadow of Impending Doom H is getting nerf (at least as an assist?) - what the hell? :-(

Painwheel is pretty good now. You'll have a blast with her.
Wheeeee!

I did way better with Parasoul tonight than I usually do, too. Though Painwheel and Peacock did most of the work. I almost have Peacock's inputs memorized, so I was wrecking face. It's the first time I haven't felt hopeless because Painwheel died. :)

Is Squigly a good anchor?

It was not.
It kind of was. :-X

Oh yeah, and I just found out that Shadow of Impending Doom H is getting nerf (at least as an assist?) - what the hell? :-(
It was nerfed on point too but basically it's no longer a universal Hidden Missile. LP Item Drop is unchanged, MP Item Drop tracks close half of the screen, HP Item Drop far half. This applies to its assist version as well though she is also able to use charged item drop as an assist.

I feel like the focus on an anchor is less emphasized in this game but when it comes to Squigly she really doesn't have many ways to deal with pressure without an assist backing her. She can make great use of meter to keep momentum on her side though as she basically nullifies pushblocking using Opera Super.

It was nerfed on point too but basically it's no longer a universal Hidden Missile. LP Item Drop is unchanged, MP Item Drop tracks close half of the screen, HP Item Drop far half. This applies to its assist version as well though she is also able to use charged item drop as an assist.
Does the charged drop track all the way? This makes me very sad because now I don't have a team. :-(

I feel like the focus on an anchor is less emphasized in this game but when it comes to Squigly she really doesn't have many ways to deal with pressure without an assist backing her. She can make great use of meter to keep momentum on her side though as she basically nullifies pushblocking using Opera Super.
Isn't Double pretty much solely used as an anchor?

Does the charged drop track all the way? This makes me very sad because now I don't have a team. :-(

LP+MP Item Drop Assist is Charged LP
MP+HP Item Drop Assist is Charged MP (Close Half Tracking)
LP+HP Item Drop Assist is Charged HP (Far Half Tracking)

... and Peacock is vulnerable during the entire charging sequence and dances amusingly.

Yeah, Double's pretty much the closest the game has to a dedicated anchor / DHC character but with catheads being a 2 meter super she's not as stupid anymore with fully loaded meter.

kami_sama

Just registered myself for the tournament.
I won't be able to do anything :lol
I think this is the first fighting game I bought.

It's point performance was nerfed so the assist is kind of toned down since heavy version tracks less slowly and becomes ineffective once your opponent closes in. Before it was more or less a balanced hidden missile move that would track everywhere pretty fast even as an assist. On point it was too good. Playing Peacock was a mix of turning your brain off and standing heavy punch cancelled into a full stage tracking overhead that you could keep safe using her george (qcf+kick) projectiles. I played her for a year and I know it was too simple. It was just plain stupid when dealing with her and Double (god forbid there is an actual invul assist character backing them).

She is just as strong as before, but you gotta use more brainpower which is why I started playing Cerebella. Right now I'm debating whether or not to finally start playing a Trio. This upcoming online tournament isn't helping me relax about it either.
I did way better with Parasoul tonight than I usually do, too. Though Painwheel and Peacock did most of the work. I almost have Peacock's inputs memorized, so I was wrecking face. It's the first time I haven't felt hopeless because Painwheel died. :)

Squigly is great when backed by assists, but it is too early to judge her anchor performance. She needs to be put through some serious rounds against three man teams with Peacock and Hornet Bomber.

Try these Parasoul combos:
st.lk, cr.mk, cr.hp, j.mp, j.hp, j.hk, st.mp, 2xHP, lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, RC soldier, j.lp, j.mk, j.hp, st.lk, st.mk, 2xHP, mp tear shot, any super

grab, cr.mk, cr.hp, j.mp, j.hp, j.hk, st.mk, 2xHP, lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, RC soldier, j.lp, j.mk, j.hp, st.lk, st.mk, 2xHP, mp tear shot, any super

b.grab, RC soldier, dash, cr.mk, cr.hp, j.mp, j.hp, j.hk, st.mk, 2xHP, lp tear shot, st.lp, st.mp, b.hk, RC soldier, j.lp, j.mk, j. Spiral Flare, st.lk, st.mk, 2xHP, mp tear shot, any super

The first combo should work anywhere and gets decent damage off a light starter. The second one is mostly a corner grab reset combo... a very painful one if you have meter for a level 3 or DHCs. The third works anywhere as well and gives you very very nice mixup potential right after spiral flare(instead of chaining into super). Honestly, if you can get the followups in bold when bringing an opponent down to the ground you can get much better damage than newb Parasouls. I was strictly relying on tear links before and Disco was telling me that my damage was way too low. Feel free to experiment with overhead and lockdown assists instead of using meter at the end. Her mixups are actually strong there if you toss some tears on the downed body.

Fun fact about me: I think my rinky dink cr.lk/cr.mk mixups are actually more powerful than the f.lp and b.hk mixups which makes no goddamn sense since those are actual mixup moves lol. Keep that in mind when you are tossing out standing light kicks at any point in time. Opponents will actually fall for this. I don't understand how or why.
It kind of was. :-X
The online has me in a sour mood. I couldn't tell right now.
Double is the dedicated anchor of the game. Cerebella and Peacock are nice alternatives because they hit hard as hell with meter. You really don't want to get happy birthday'd with a full Cerebella combo or Peacock's Argus Agony.

I liked the idea of Peacock anchor, but Duckator told me to only put her on point because she has no ability to create space on incoming.

Oh, and a guy who uses Painwheel/Peacock at my locals said he has a way to get up Peacock's bomb so that you can DHC from Peacock to Painwheel mid-combo and get the bomb to explode while Painwheel's Hatred Guard is up for big damage - sexy!

I was very sad when I launched Skullgirls last night, because I thought all my Squigly combos were gone and she had lost all her damage.

Then I discovered that all her combos still work whilst making sure her divekick isn't bananas, because Mike Z is a freaking awesome designer and made some really clever decisions with how her divekick works. So the loops work, but braindead divekicks don't.

Then I discovered that all her combos still work whilst making sure her divekick isn't bananas, because Mike Z is a freaking awesome designer and made some really clever decisions with how her divekick works. So the loops work, but braindead divekicks don't.

Yup, goes to show how significant a small thing like changing the hitstun of a move so that it cant combo into mediums can make such a big change to a character. Im glad we seem to have hit a sweet spot where the Divekick now autocorrects but the LK and MK versions lose overhead properties. The HK version being exclusively overhead means a person could go for some riskier mixups if they so choose as well.

I liked the idea of Peacock anchor, but Duckator told me to only put her on point because she has no ability to create space on incoming.

Oh, and a guy who uses Painwheel/Peacock at my locals said he has a way to get up Peacock's bomb so that you can DHC from Peacock to Painwheel mid-combo and get the bomb to explode while Painwheel's Hatred Guard is up for big damage - sexy!

Want.

Yup, goes to show how significant a small thing like changing the hitstun of a move so that it cant combo into mediums can make such a big change to a character. Im glad we seem to have hit a sweet spot where the Divekick now autocorrects but the LK and MK versions lose overhead properties. The HK version being exclusively overhead means a person could go for some riskier mixups if they so choose as well.

This needs testing, as you might be able to super to safety from Gravedigger,

If this goes away when you reboot the router, the probable cause of the problem is... your router.

I have two routers and it definitely does not play as well online with one of them (sadly, the problematic router is an expensive high end one - Asus RT-AC66. The working one is a cheap $40 dual band TP-Link flashed with OpenWRT...)

My router if fine and works for all the games so it's not my router. :/
But anyway thanks to based Mike Z., the online now works a lot better so I don't have that problem since yesterday.

It warms my heart to see this thread active again. It was dangerously quiet for a week or two there.

GOOD NEWS for those who want to link combo videos, tutorial videos etc to the Community Hub - it's now possible. :)

Top Bottom