• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's a core game rule. It has nothing to do with online matches. I've never really heard the justification for it, and it's not something I care for.

Well it was either 1v1 get's 2 rounds or 1v1 damage was reduced a ton :lol

Also got a 9.4k Squiggly combo
14k vs doubles/tripples

I'm pretty much set :lol
It cost 4 bars so yeah not as good as it sounds

Well it was either 1v1 get's 2 rounds or 1v1 damage was reduced a ton :lol

Also got a 9.4k Squiggly combo
14k vs doubles/tripples

I'm pretty much set :lol
It cost 4 bars so yeah not as good as it sounds
Hum?

1v1 gets 2 rounds.
2v2 gets 2 rounds.
3v3 gets 2 rounds.

1v2 gets 1 round.
1v3 gets 1 round.
2v3 gets 1 round.

I do not understand why 3v3 gets 2 rounds but 2v3 does not.

That's a core game rule. It has nothing to do with online matches. I've never really heard the justification for it, and it's not something I care for.
Mike explained why a long time ago, but I can't remember why. I just assume they are trying to avoid pulling a KOF at tournaments. Sucks for online folks, but lobbies will fix that up real quick.
Hum?

1v1 gets 2 rounds.
2v2 gets 2 rounds.
3v3 gets 2 rounds.

1v2 gets 1 round.
1v3 gets 1 round.
2v3 gets 1 round.

I do not understand why 3v3 gets 2 rounds but 2v3 does not.
Maybe they don't want the player with fewer characters to get figured out so quickly. Just taking shots in the dark.

Does anyone know any good Valentine combos? Also, I got bodied by a good player 3 times. This player uses Filia and Cerebella. That team has good synergy.

Mike explained why a long time ago, but I can't remember why. I just assume they are trying to avoid pulling a KOF at tournaments. Sucks for online folks, but lobbies will fix that up real quick.

Maybe they don't want the player with fewer characters to get figured out so quickly. Just taking shots in the dark.
I feel like this is the only real misstep in the game's fundamental design.

What's the KOF reference? Taking too long? Because most top 8 tournament matches are 3v3 already. And if we're talking about getting figured out, I think it's more like the solo player needs more rounds to figure out what's going on with the fully teamed opponent.

I feel like this is the only real misstep in the game's fundamental design.

What's the KOF reference? Taking too long? Because most top 8 tournament matches are 3v3 already. And if we're talking about getting figured out, I think it's more like the solo player needs more rounds to figure out what's going on with the fully teamed opponent.
Mahvel style games favor surprise and mystery, I think. The fewer matches Yolobella has, the better.

I'm just taking shots in the dark, but I'll try to ask Mike in the IRC.

Mahvel style games favor surprise and mystery, I think. The fewer matches Yolobella has, the better.

I'm just taking shots in the dark, but I'll try to ask Mike in the IRC.
Let me know when he's in there, because I want to harass him about Painwheel assists.

Fun fact: Painwheel can combo off of a fly-canceled qcf.HP now from 80% of the screen away. :) 100% if you call Peacock's qcf.MK right beforehand and do the qcf.MP knife.

Dahbomb

We should all collectively send those guys messages about it. At least for online play or give us an option.

I know lobbies will fix it but when I was trying to play Karst we had to agree to play 1v1 because it was a pain in the ass trying to find each other again after a single round. At least 2/3 lets you get settled in.

Did Double get one of Squigly's attacks added to her in the Beta?

We should all collectively send those guys messages about it. At least for online play or give us an option.

I know lobbies will fix it but when I was trying to play Karst we had to agree to play 1v1 because it was a pain in the ass trying to find each other again after a single round. At least 2/3 lets you get settled in.
It kind of sucks at locals too, since there's usually a FT3 rule.

Kioshen

Hey guys I'm coming back out of my vacation and Rogue Legacy vortex. Anything major that I've missed in the month or so that I was away ? Did the lobbies get implemented ?

EnochP

Neo Member
20130805195736-NPC_Lineup3.jpg

furries confirmed, time to bail

But seriously, is that fucking Viking Jesus/Smooth McGroove over there on the right?

Every time I see one of these pictures, I kind of regret not putting in for a patron saint. I also find it funny that there's always one normal dude in these pictures. Pineapple Joe is still the best though.

Curses! I work on all the days the PC tournament takes place. Oh well, I wish the best of luck to all the SkullGAFers who take part in the tournament.

I've got to start hitting the online circuit once I buy my Hitbox. Until then, I'll try getting down some Cerebella and Squigly B&Bs and see if they have any assist synergy.

Beckx

Hey guys I'm coming back out of my vacation and Rogue Legacy vortex. Anything major that I've missed in the month or so that I was away ? Did the lobbies get implemented ?

Me too. Need to get some matches in. The rust is going to be...terrible.

Ravidrath

Curses! I work on all the days the PC tournament takes place. Oh well, I wish the best of luck to all the SkullGAFers who take part in the tournament.

I've got to start hitting the online circuit once I buy my Hitbox. Until then, I'll try getting down some Cerebella and Squigly B&Bs and see if they have any assist synergy.

Tournament registration is closed, but, like... working shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't working 24/7.

Gonna have lots of time to get your matches done - we're not setting specific times, just specific day ranges.

Tournament registration is closed, but, like... working shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't working 24/7.

Gonna have lots of time to get your matches done - we're not setting specific times, just specific day ranges.

I work graveyards, and my shift is 7-on/7-off. I generally don't play fighting games during my work week, because I get about an average of 4-6 hours of sleep per day during my work week. Playing fighting games amps me up, and let's just say that my job requires me to be very attentive to what I'm doing, so I don't really game during my work week.

You are right though, I theoretically could play. Only, I don't have access to my PC during my work week. I bunk with a co-worker for my work week, and I don't take my PC with me. Maybe I should start doing that...

Oh well, it's a moot point regardless. I wasn't going to register unless I knew my dates were freed up. They're not, at least at this current juncture.

Mr. X

Only 1v1 gets 2/3 rounds, every other combo is 1 round.

The reason for this is health IIRC. 2/3 rounds of 1v1 makes is so the health you need to beat out the other person is similar to that of any other size combinations.

hupla

Ive gotten Mike Z cat and the JoJo bulldozer to show up in the past 2 days! Any other cool little Easter eggs to look out for? (other then i guess like all of peacocks drops)

So, true story: id your PC mysteruously decides to die on you, make sure the reset button is not permanently held down due to poor case design.

Hello guys.

I'm a newbie in Skullgirls any tip is appreciated, I've been playing the beta PC version and mostly Squigly. I still don't have any idea how to properly play but I'm having a lot of fun with it even if I lose mostly of the time :D

My steam id is http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pandapedinte/
Play QisTopTier. His Squigly is really good.

GGs Karst ! Thanks for helping me knock that rust off. Pleasantly surprised how I was able to land that Cerebella combo a couple of times live in match going in cold ! Your Painwheel is still annoying as ever !
GGs. I never expect the c.LK with Cerebella during the reset. I'm too busy up-backing to get out of the command grab hype that never comes.

TheOGB

Banned
IGG backers check your Humble Bundle page:
Skullgirls Facebook said:
Attention, Indiegogo backers: your retail Steam keys are now live on your Humble Bundle claim pages!

If you haven't been paying attention, here's how you can claim your digital rewards:

1. Go here: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender

2. Input your e-mail address

3. Check your e-mail a short time later, and click the link you receive

4. Download your goodies, get your Steam keys, and fill out any forms

5. Bookmark the page for future reference and content updates

That's it! If you redeem the retail key, you'll be all set to have the full version of the game on August 22nd!

And, as always, if you have any problems or questions, e-mail indiegogo (at) labzerogames (dot) com.

Also this

Dahbomb, did you notice this? - today's patch notes.
General
- Force clear savedata again. WHY? Well...
- Unmap Player 2 keyboard controls completely, except for Backslash "\" being Light Kick. Now Player 1 can easily map to ALL THE KEYS (except Backslash)! If you want to remap Player 2 keyboard to something useful, just go to button config and hit Backslash.
(Player 1 keyboard defaults remains ASDZXC + arrow keys.)
- Some tutorial improvements, lots of tutorial remaining-the-same-ments. :^)

Valentine
- Fix poison load occasionally putting her into air hitstun instead of ground hitstun. Heh, how did that get missed for so long?

Wait juuuuuuust a little longer, O Ye Faithful...there was some major progress on The Feature That Cannot Be Named today.

Playing the PC beta and really enjoying the game. It's tough getting used to combos that are almost all cancels unlike SF4.

Here's a quick c.MK combo

c.MK, c.HP, Silver Chord
Daisy Pusher, s.HP, Seria Cancel
s.MP, s.HK
j.LP, j.MK, j.HK Fallen Woman H
c.MK, s.HK
j.LK, j.MK, j.HK
s.LP, s.MP, s.HP x2, Seria Cancel
s.LK, s.MP, s.HP x2, Dragon Bite

I understand most combo notation, but do the returns/new lines mean anything? I'm just used to SFIV where I haven't seen that and I keep seeing it in SG combos.

Kioshen

Does anyone play Valentine? What are some good combos with her and what's her best assist?

Assists were mostly covered but some people like to use the throwing star as assist for ghetto mixups. A good combo to start would be this :

cr.LK, cr.MK (2 hits), cr.HP
j.HP xx air dash
j.HP xx qcf+K xx Super

You can either use Checkmate Incision for better wake up shenanigans or go with EKG Flatliner if you need to push the opponent far away which you probably won't most of the time. Valentine needs a lot of button presses for optimal damage because most of her normals multi-hit everywhere which hurt a lot in scaling. The combo above deals decent damage for not much effort and is a good building block for adding stuff around it.

I didn't look up proper restand strings for her but that would be the next step after you're confident in that one.

I understand most combo notation, but do the returns/new lines mean anything? I'm just used to SFIV where I haven't seen that and I keep seeing it in SG combos.

It's because of IPS. Since the system looks for chain starters before activating, it helps visually to break it down that way.

===============

@Karst

She probably won't interest you much but I forgot to mention that Mrs. Fortune has also a great DP assist. Can function as anchor because she can do massive damage given meter without being hopeless when played alone.

I wonder if Valentine + Cerebella have good synergy except being both top heavy.

shaowebb

Im thinking of running Valentine/Squigly/Peacock right now. I used to just run Peacock and Valentine, but I like Squigly's style. However, I've danced between so many fighters with so little training time that I've not really been around for the ins and outs to sort of become apparent on how to setup my assists.

What are the best options you think I could get with this team? I'm thinking of Squigly's screen drag for Valentine, but I dont really want folks pulled in on Peacock...suggestions?

Tecl0n

Assists were mostly covered but some people like to use the throwing star as assist for ghetto mixups. A good combo to start would be this :

j.HP xx air dash
j.HP xx qcf+K xx Super

Totally new to notatios, what do the xx mean?

j.HP xx air dash
j.HP xx qcf+K xx Super

You can either use Checkmate Incision for better wake up shenanigans or go with EKG Flatliner if you need to push the opponent far away which you probably won't most of the time. Valentine needs a lot of button presses for optimal damage because most of her normals multi-hit everywhere which hurt a lot in scaling. The combo above deals decent damage for not much effort and is a good building block for adding stuff around it.

I didn't look up proper restand strings for her but that would be the next step after you're confident in that one.

I'm pretty confident that I could pull off that combo, thanks :D

Kioshen

I'm pretty confident that I could pull off that combo, thanks :D

Great ! If you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer it. I'm thinking of picking her up more seriously so I might have something better to suggest.

------------------
Skullheart lost data and is now down (again) !? Man the SG community cannot catch a break :(.

Edit:

For people having trouble with the j.LP restand with Cerebella, I've found a pretty nifty video that explains it clearly. I haven't tried it myself but for sure tonight I'm replacing my manual timing by this.

FYI, you shouldn't end combos into hypers unless it will kill the character or you need to DHC your character out. It's just a waste of meter.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FYI, you shouldn't end combos into hypers unless it will kill the character or you need to DHC your character out. It's just a waste of meter.

Yup, though it depends on the character as well. But ending with a hyper that's not a level 3 tends to scale really badly at the end of a long chain. There are exceptions though.

Yup, though it depends on the character as well. But ending with a hyper that's not a level 3 tends to scale really badly at the end of a long chain. There are exceptions though.
It's just almost always better to go for a reset. Save the meter for utility or a big damage kill.

WHY DID I PUT OFF MAKING A PATCH NOTES VID XD

Too many changes x_x
Is there a full list of changes from the current console version to the present Beta?

Top Bottom