• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Argyle

Played 13 ranked matches in a row and two of them had desyncing issues (ping was 227/190). All the other ones at around 150 and below were expectedly smooth. I'll have to play more or look at other people's experiences before saying it's better though. Also took a look at the leaderboards and number one has over 1000 wins. Wow.

When you say desync do you mean actual desyncs (both of you won because what you saw isn't what they saw) or just rollbacks caused by lag?

Beats

When you say desync do you mean actual desyncs (both of you won because what you saw isn't what they saw) or just rollbacks caused by lag?

Hmm, well I don't think I can verify if your description of actual desyncs has happened to me since I was just playing random players. But I thought when people were talking about desyncs they were talking about the game constantly skipping for them but being smooth for the other player even though the connection seemed good according to the ping (which has happened to me and some of my friends before the patch).

Nachos

Sorry if I should've asked somewhere else, but does anyone have any advice for getting better at Skullgirls and fighting games in general? I've played a few in the past, but never became more sophisticated than button-mashing with friends. The tutorial section helped me learn some basic concepts and I can do them in the tutorial section, but when it comes to actual matches, especially online, I just revert to looking like I'm playing DDR. Does anyone have any advice? Since online seems to be so fire-and-forget in terms of fighting different people, I never really get a chance to get a good grasp of the fundamentals, never mind combos beyond a simple magic series.

Psxphile

- Add "Marie 300%" to the Extras menu. She's back, and she's pissed!

Neat. But needs more Dramatic Battle for shits and giggles. Is that feasible?

(for the uninitiated: Dramatic Battle was a feature first seen in Street Fighter Alpha as a hidden mode where two human players would face off against a super-charged computer combatant)

I always assumed in those cases the other person is running a torrent or on wireless, not a desync.
Both of these are terrible. I haven't played a fighting game on wireless in years.
Sorry if I should've asked somewhere else, but does anyone have any advice for getting better at Skullgirls and fighting games in general? I've played a few in the past, but never became more sophisticated than button-mashing with friends. The tutorial section helped me learn some basic concepts and I can do them in the tutorial section, but when it comes to actual matches, especially online, I just revert to looking like I'm playing DDR. Does anyone have any advice? Since online seems to be so fire-and-forget in terms of fighting different people, I never really get a chance to get a good grasp of the fundamentals, never mind combos beyond a simple magic series.
Stop playing DDR. Don't mash when you are caught in a combo. Let it work itself out and watch your opponents habits. Do they like to overhead reset? Do they like to grab reset? How do Peacocks normally play? What kind of BS does headless Fortune pull off? It's a matter of waiting/seeing and reacting with the appropriate counter. Gather your data. There are slight differences, but Peacocks will always nearly always zone and Filia will always rushdown.

You neglected to mention what characters you play, your assists or even your team size.

NEO0MJ

For now only pick one character, you'll never get a good grasp of the game if you keep switching between characters. It would also be good to pick up a more vanilla character like Fillia for now instead of the more complex characters. Check out Skullheart as well.
And if your friends are willing you should play SF II, that game is fundamentals after all.

alstein

my Advice is to try and learn why you lose. If you lost to a combo, don't blame the combo, blame the hit/throw that started it.

If you're losing because you can't get in, work in your approaches.

If you got rushed down and overwhelmed, try to figure out your keepout.

Most of my losses are due to unfamiliarity with a setup, some sort of mental stupidity on my part that makes me predictable, or I drop something. I know why I lose, I just try to work on those things. The first is the easiest to work on.

Mashing certain supers on wakeup is really good in SG due to the power of resets (esp if you got Peacock in back to make it safe vs some chars, unsure if other chars can do this.) , but it isn't a failsafe. This is something you shouldn't do in other fighters. It's less powerful offline because folks can hear the mashing.

Krackatoa

1. Practice a functional and basic combo until you can do it without thought. This means when you're panicking, you won't miss it. Generally, you can find one by looking up combos and just cutting it short with a cancel into super.

Generally, you want your combo to do the following things:

• Starts from cr.LK. The reason for this is that anytime you could perform a cr.LK, you could probably throw the opponent instead. One is beaten by Down+Back, the other is beaten by Up+Back. Teching throw will leave the opponent vulnerable in some cases, since you have to stand to tech.
  • Doesn't have it's "Point of no return" where it becomes unsafe on block happen too soon in the combo. This means if it's blocked, you don't die, or have enough time to identify the block and stop following through with the combo.
  • Has somewhere you can end in a reset. A place where you can intentionally drop the combo and go for Low or Throw.

Suddenly, you have a basic combo, and a mixup.

2. Research, which you seem intent on doing. This is good. Ask yourself what part of gameplay you're missing, or failing to internalize, then try and find answers. Pushblocking was a big one for me, as I never played much Marvel. It took me a while to understand why it should be used, when to use it, when NOT to use it, and what a pushblock actually does in engine, versus simply blocking.

Turns out, you have to use it a lot. You cannot play this game without pushblocking.

When you understand all the systems, it's less difficult to "theory craft" on the fly, and decide "Hmm... They're doing this, so I should do this instead."

www.skullheart.com is great for this. Also, other fighting game resources like SRK may help, if you're familiar with other systems. Many are interchangeable.

3. Practice. Pick one character, and learn their ins-and-outs. Pick up another character when you're comfortable. Training Room, etc, etc.

4. Find regular opponents. Add people to your friend's list.

*THIS IS BETA VERSION NOT FULL RELEASE VERSION*

MikeZ said:
Skullgirls Beta - Patch Notes: San Andreas
SEPTEMBER 17TH, 2013 - MIKEZ
Sure, some other highly-anticipated game just came out, but for those who would rather play Skullgirls...
The update everyone has been waiting for is here!

Lobbies
- Add SPECTATOR MODE! Anyone who doesn't play in a lobby will be automatically assigned a match to spectate. There may be problems, but that's why this is the beta! :^)

General
- Fix USB headset crash. (It was crashing because those expensive "gaming headsets" only have monaural output on lots of computers. Heh.)

Haven't had the opportunity to try spec mode on the beta yet, but I'm glad it's being worked on this much. Skullgirls PC ought to be feature perfect by the end of this year. I remember Mike saying in an interview that they set out to develop SG enough that it's final form would a much meatier product than whatever they initially created. With the 5 extra DLC characters and the possibility of the final three (Marie, Dahlia and Umbrella) it wouldn't be strange to say that Lab Zero has followed through on their goal to make SG into an entirely new game that may as well be a sequel. Just going by all the crazy extras like spectator, all play lobbies, training mode additions, movelists, stage/music additions and the story mode improvements.

Damn, this may be the best bang for my buck since Civilization IV for $10.

Ravidrath

So any news on that 1080p sprites pack ?

May not happen at all.

With all of the online issues caused by different machines already, this would likely only exacerbate the problem.

It's also a sizable amount of data that doesn't really give much of a visual improvement.

Haven't had the opportunity to try spec mode on the beta yet, but I'm glad it's being worked on this much. Skullgirls PC ought to be feature perfect by the end of this year. I remember Mike saying in an interview that they set out to develop SG enough that it's final form would a much meatier product than whatever they initially created. With the 5 extra DLC characters and the possibility of the final three (Marie, Dahlia and Umbrella) it wouldn't be strange to say that Lab Zero has followed through on their goal to make SG into an entirely new game that may as well be a sequel. Just going by all the crazy extras like spectator, all play lobbies, training mode additions, movelists, stage/music additions and the story mode improvements.

Damn, this may be the best bang for my buck since Civilization IV for $10.

Agreed.

But I could not find a lobby in beta to test the spectator mode. Most of the players migrated to the full game now. I am a bit sad as I enjoyed a lot having people to test mike Z. changes every week.

alstein

Agreed.

But I could not find a lobby in beta to test the spectator mode. Most of the players migrated to the full game now. I am a bit sad as I enjoyed a lot having people to test mike Z. changes every week.

Folks aren't going to play the test server until they put Big Band out there. While the Endless Beta is a nice thing to have, it does make a game with a small population split up between two groups, and one of them is going to suffer.

If LZ wants folks to use the test server more without a carrot like a new character, they probably should have some play the team nights to test out stuff. Best idea I can think of, even if it's a bit manpower inefficient.

NEO0MJ

May not happen at all.

With all of the online issues caused by different machines already, this would likely only exacerbate the problem.

It's also a sizable amount of data that doesn't really give much of a visual improvement.

Ohhh, that's too bad. Can you give us an example of the difference between the two sprites?

Kioshen

May not happen at all.

Well dang that's a shame but understandable. Restricting it to local play + optional add-on would be a way out. Test it out in endless beta and see how people react ? You're probably being charged for the bandwidth used for distributing content huh ?

Edit: Oh yeah can you divulge what results you got for what the fans wanted as more content ? You know the survey where you asked if we wanted trial mode, more story and stuff.

alstein

Well dang that's a shame but understandable. Restricting it to local play + optional add-on would be a way out. Test it out in endless beta and see how people react ? You're probably being charged for the bandwidth used for distributing content huh ?

Steam doesn't charge for that at all.

Argyle

It's more of an end user bandwidth thing, as once it is activated on your account I think it will automatically download with the game, regardless of whether you have bandwidth caps, can actually use it on that computer, etc.

Kioshen

It's more of an end user bandwidth thing, as once it is activated on your account I think it will automatically download with the game, regardless of whether you have bandwidth caps, can actually use it on that computer, etc.

Yes but on steam L0 can put it as free dlc. That way it's opt-in but I can understand all the concerns they would have with putting it out.

Folks aren't going to play the test server until they put Big Band out there. While the Endless Beta is a nice thing to have, it does make a game with a small population split up between two groups, and one of them is going to suffer.

If LZ wants folks to use the test server more without a carrot like a new character, they probably should have some play the team nights to test out stuff. Best idea I can think of, even if it's a bit manpower inefficient.
Not that it's a terrible problem if the main game has a healthy population versus a sparse beta population. The beta is just there for testing. It's something nice to have for us and the devs. The team play nights sound like a good idea until you realize they're super busy and some of them even make the effort to show up week in and week out for Salty Cupcakes. Dudes are dedicated as is.

Kioshen

I resubmitted mine since they specified in the e-mail that they didn't want any special characters in the name so mine probably tripped them up.

Ardvent

4 Card left to complete my badge, and I don't think i'll ever do it :(.

Out of drops, two SG boosters gave me duplicates, and it's almost $2.50 to buy the 4 I need.

Peacock, Valentine, Filia, and Ms. Fortune

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
4 Card left to complete my badge, and I don't think i'll ever do it :(.

Out of drops, two SG boosters gave me duplicates, and it's almost $2.50 to buy the 4 I need.

Peacock, Valentine, Filia, and Ms. Fortune

I've got a Level 5 Badge. :) I've been hunting for Foil cards by basically buying a booster, opening it, and selling the cards inside for pretty much what I paid for the booster. I've got some extra Steam bucks from selling other games' cards.

If I come across any of the ones you need, I'll let you know.

Got the email regarding contributor credit deadline. Already submitted my name and stuff months ago, but I'll do it again just to be sure

We don't have to resubmit, do we? Ravidrath?

Someone on the Skullgirls Reddit through down some TF2 mods and a bunch of us are encouraging the guy to submit these to the workshop so we can upvote them. I actually like some of these (Leviathan misc, Filia hat, Valentine Bonesaw) a fair bit more than the 'Officially' submitted ones.

http://imgur.com/a/Dr1ES
IQIAwnfh.jpg

nlWjMTJh.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/Skullgirls/...ber_those_tf2_item_concepts_i_made_well_here/

Patch time? Patch time! Spectator Edition!
10/1

MikeZ said:
MIGHTY NUMBER NINE MIGHTY NUMBER NINE MIGHTY NUMBER...patch notes, right, patch notes.

Been a while, hasn't it? There's some stuff here you'll like. C'mon in, grab yourself a snack and have at these wonderful updates while you dream about mighty numbers of some kind.

Lobbies
- Spectator mode is now in! If you don't get assigned a partner, you're randomly assigned a match to spectate!
- Added Queen of the Hill mode for lobbies! (Report all bugs for Queen of the Hill Mode and Spectating issues to bugreport AT labzerogames dot com.)
-- Queen of the Hill mode is what you'd expect:
** The winner stays, loser goes to the end of the line.
** You can't ready up if there's a match going on. This may be enabled soon.
** 15 seconds between matches, instead of 10.
** You automatically re-ready after matches. (Do you like this? Let us know!)
** Win streak is tracked, instead of total wins.
** Your place in line is determined by when you ready up. If you unready for more than 5 seconds, you lose your place in line.
- Fixed some avatar issues. If you rejoin, there still will be issues, but another patch will come soon to fix that.

General
- Fixed USB headset crash. If your game was crashing before and now it works, it's because you were outputting mono.
- Fixed some localization crashes and blank texts in Spanish.
- Fixed some UI navigation and gfx issues.
- Add Marie 300% to Extras. Feel free to frustrate yourself to no end again! You have to own Squigly, though. :^)
- Add NPCs in 2D backgrounds for Medici Office, New Meridian, Lab 8, Cathedral, Innsmouth. The background is still one single picture, so if you have a slow computer they don't have any negative effects. If you experience negative effects, they are probably psychosomatic.
- Improve contrast between characters and background on Cathedral, New Meridian, Innsmouth.
- Fix CRAZY bugs in Otter that give a wonderful speedup on console AND PC. Most computers won’t notice, but if yours is bad you might?
- Increase GGPO max rollback frames by 4, to 24.

Gameplay
- Fix Fortune’s s.HK hitboxes! WHOOPS.
- Fix occasional IPS carryover on 1f links for Player 2.
- Fix Diamonds are Forever glitch.

If EU gafers are on Skullgirls this evening, we are doing an open lobby session each wednesday with a group of french players. You can come and join. ^^

Glad to see some activity in here. I'd post more, but I'm kinda just playing every few days. It's more fun this way.

Edit: Oh hey

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index....-added-to-your-humble-bundle-digital-ost.561/
These three new tracks added to the Humble Bundle Digital OST are from the three stages that were included in the most recent patch of Skullgirls. Please enjoy!
Someone on the Skullgirls Reddit through down some TF2 mods and a bunch of us are encouraging the guy to submit these to the workshop so we can upvote them. I actually like some of these (Leviathan misc, Filia hat, Valentine Bonesaw) a fair bit more than the 'Officially' submitted ones.

http://imgur.com/a/Dr1ES

http://www.reddit.com/r/Skullgirls/...ber_those_tf2_item_concepts_i_made_well_here/
Looks great. I have no idea how to use reddit though lol. This is even more confusing than the twitter.
Patch time? Patch time! Spectator Edition!
10/1
Patch time

Looks like we're finally here. Can't wait to try it out later. Maybe not today since I'm still sore from fighting Worldjem.

Kioshen

Glad to see some activity in here. I'd post more, but I'm kinda just playing every few days. It's more fun this way.

Yeah me too. I'm stuck inside Warframe's vortex for now :/. Good to know about the new updated OST.

Edit: I'm feeling like I'm being a dick by saying this but the new tracks don't have proper ID3 tags attached to them -_-'. Oh well I've added them but just as a heads up for somebody blindly adding them to their collection thinking it'll fit right in.

Top Bottom