• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Galdelico

I think you should be alright with the ps3 pad. The only thing I had a little trouble with was using the shoulder buttons for some attacks.
On 360 I can't physically perform the last two combos in Tutorial, because of that pad... U_U
I wonder if I should get an arcade stick or maybe a 6 buttons fightpad is just fine?

I mean, I don't even plan to be any good with it, but I'd love to scratch a bit more than the game's surface.

I was punishing a double assist yesterday, just that my combos are only about 6 moves long so she regens her health off screen too quickly to be effective from me, but it's still annoying! :p

Ms.Fortune players need to control their heads better too, when they leave the head laying around near me I just down MK it with Filia for maximum lulz

lol, Fortune's head is so good for stopping Valentine's flatline super. It seems like she'll hit the head instead of the body and that stops the animation.

Here's a fun one for you guys. Apparently Double's level 3 goes through the entire animation even if it hits an assist, it retains invincibility throughout the animation and has a tendency to crossup opponents that try to punish it.

It's pretty much the most stylish way in the game to punish an assist.

Here's a fun one for you guys. Apparently Double's level 3 goes through the entire animation even if it hits an assist, it retains invincibility throughout the animation and has a tendency to crossup opponents that try to punish it.

It's pretty much the most stylish way in the game to punish an assist.

That's really fucking cool. Any other level 3s like that?

rivals

lol, Fortune's head is so good for stopping Valentine's flatline super. It seems like she'll hit the head instead of the body and that stops the animation.

Yeah it does, it seems like a bug though and it's kinda frustrating. Happened to me like 5+ times in a session with my friend the other day.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah sometimes I try to punish a fortune with the double car super and it just hits the head 5 times or whatever instead and then passes through fortune.

That's really fucking cool. Any other level 3s like that?
Not many supers go through scripted events like that and I think Double's is unique in that it retains its invincibility. It'd be really silly if Valentine's worked like that.

Yeah it does, it seems like a bug though and it's kinda frustrating. Happened to me like 5+ times in a session with my friend the other day.

Intentional part of the design I think, Mike mentioned it in the Valentine walkthrough. In those situations you can use the Scalpel toss super.

Yeah sometimes I try to punish a fortune with the double car super and it just hits the head 5 times or whatever instead and then passes through fortune.

That is sooooo annoying.

Beats

On 360 I can't physically perform the last two combos in Tutorial, because of that pad... U_U
I wonder if I should get an arcade stick or maybe a 6 buttons fightpad is just fine?

I mean, I don't even plan to be any good with it, but I'd love to scratch a bit more than the game's surface.

I'm using the 6 button PS3 Hori pad now and it's working well so far. I'm not sure what's a good one for 360 though.

shaowebb

For those interested gameindustry.biz has a really cool article up right now about Skullgirls and Autumn Games right now. It explains the relationship between Autumn and Skullgirls and even hints very lightly at other tie in games of other genres?
dat article said:
"Many publishers, when we were pitching Skullgirls, took it as the more typical indie project. 'This is pretty cool, we might want some changes to it, we'll watch it.' But Autumn immediately saw it as an entire IP that could be extended not just with DLC but into new games of various other types, all of which we're very eager to work on."

You can read it here

i wish i could see who i'm fighting online x_x

also, i need a random color select that works just like the stage one

Check "Players Met" from the XMB. It will show you recently faced opponents in descending order.

For those interested gameindustry.biz has a really cool article up right now about Skullgirls and Autumn Games right now. It explains the relationship between Autumn and Skullgirls and even hints very lightly at other tie in games of other genres?

You can read it here

Skulltroid with Yamane's score?

lol.

alstein

I'd love to see a non-fighting game from Reverge, or a more SF/KOF-oriented fighter.
I really think Skullgirls as a world has so much potential, as much as Guilty Gear.

shaowebb

I'd love to see a non-fighting game from Reverge, or a more SF/KOF-oriented fighter.
I really think Skullgirls as a world has so much potential, as much as Guilty Gear.

Yeah its really amazing how much personality this world has as a setting. Little Innsmouth is one big fun nod to Lovecraft, Mobsters everywhere, the two competing labs, the Skullgirl, all the crazy stuff hinted at in the world by character backstories like the object keeping Ms Fortune alive...theres just so much hinted at in this world that we've barely seen yet.

This has all the beginnings of a world set to explode into a ton of stories and I can't wait to experience them someday.

Yup, good games. I wasn't sure how to counter Peacock with the Double assist at first so I was a bit frustrated, but throwing in Parasoul with the Napalm shot assist into my team helped so much haha.

Filia was giving me more trouble than anything. And I couldn't remember how to snapback.

shaowebb

The town of Innsmouth is a BIG part of Lovecraftian lore

Basically a town of people who are fish is what little Innsmouth is and that more or less what the Lovecraft Innsmouth was too...except far less adorable. Cult of Dagon, people turning into deep ones, and a lot of spooky shit is what Lovecraft's Innsmouth is. To turn it into the place in Skullgirls was pretty creative. I was impressed they managed to create an adorable fish person.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I feel like I must be missing something here, 2 frames of vulnerability into invulnerability still makes it an incredibly strong get off me tool just like Haggar's latiat in Ultimate. Whilst it can be ducked in it's application as a cross up w/air-dash attacks that's going to get you blown up. Also it doesn't leave her 100% open if her partner is rush-down, by the time you get out of block stun they'll already be in your face and chances are if you manage to block they next offensive move she'll be ready to call out again. Add to that it probably the best anti-air in the game.

Shit it broken, it has far to many applications (as in pretty much every application you could want from any assist) and no weakness if it's used on the right team with the right player.

No one said it's not strong. Matter of fact, on SRK, Mike Z mentions that the invincibility on the HK version of the move is actually a mistake.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...-classy-in-medici.158403/page-39#post-6816956

Z said:
(Though I may remove the invincibility on the HK Hornet Bomber because that's a legitimate mistake, it wasn't supposed to have any. You'd be surprised how little that changes things here, though, it's mostly for Double on point.)

Parasoul's HK Napalm Pillar is probably a better Anti-Air anyway... -ahem- But seriously, the point is, I'm with Mike here. He wants to let time decide if things are broken, after people get USED to everything. He doesn't want to make knee-jerk reactions to things, and then end up hurting the character & players by doing such.

I know my feelings of it being broken REALLY when down, when I figured I could stand block, get pushed back, and then Napalm Pillar -> LvL 3 the unfortunate Double VS this spammy strat, for example. Generally, I'll always get in on the Peacock, and after she's dead, the Double always comes in much weaker than say, the back-ups of people who don't spam as-risky assist all day.

The move also doesn't have full invulnerability, so if you have an assist out around the same time she comes out, you can hit her out, even if she's already hitting you, hit her before she starts, or stand and take the block, to prevent it from reaching your assist, giving them enough time to smash her, and make her punishable.

If Double's partner is rushdown, almost every character in this game has some invincible move to use (A DP, a Super, something), and if not, they can find a mostly invincible move to use as a custom assist (Napalm Pillar, Filia's DP, Ms. Fortune's DP, etc).

If anything, I'm not a bit more concerned about the Ms. Fortune OMNOMNOMNOMNOM near-infinite combos, lol. That stuff looks pretty crazy, and I'd hate for a change to be made to her core gameplay, to make something that not everyone will even USE, ok...

The next Skullgirls game- what I'd like to see is a card game like Culdcept with the Skullgirls art.

Yeah, it seems like such a shame for a dev that put that much time into the art to not be able to reuse it in a new form. I'd love to see something like a tweaked version of Yomi with the Skullgirls art. Or take a couple of the girls and create some basic enemy types and pop them into a Streets of Rage style beat-em-up. Just find some cool new way to monetize all those man hours of work.

You can read it here
I read it and it was a nice article. I'm happy that Reverge paired with these guys. Autumn sounds like the kind of company that will let Reverge flex their creative muscle and it's very cool that they allowed Mike, Alex and Peter to interact with us so much. Autumn and Reverge's eagerness to really build a name for Skullgirls in the tournament scene is also appreciated.

I can't imagine what they have planned for Skullgirls when it comes to other genres, but I hope they continue to listen if they plan on providing Reverge with the necessary resources for a PC version. All I need is no GFWL and I'm set for a day one purchase. They are clearly thinking farther ahead though.

Choice quotes from article:

Reverge saw their skills as being in development, and they knew they needed not only funding, but help in marketing, working with console manufacturers, and getting the most out of their game. "We needed the help of someone with dedicated resources and publishing experience to make sure Skullgirls got exposure and to navigate all the publishing steps at the end of the process. It would have been too much for us on our own," Wyckoff said. "We get the added benefit of having this small but very passionate publisher with the resources like marketing and all sorts of contacts to do things with the project we never would have thought of or been able to do on our own. One of the best examples is that Autumn partnered with Mashon.com; they offer a plug-in T-shirt etc. store for your web site where users can customize their own goods using artwork that you supply. This has proven to be wildly popular even before our launch, because we have lots of great art. We wouldn't have been able to negotiate that kind of deal or know to even look for it if it hadn't been for Autumn."
Reverge looks to release regular DLC for Skullgirls, and to leverage the work they've done in creating the background and the artwork. "This is a big part of our relationship with Autumn," Wyckoff noted. "Many publishers, when we were pitching Skullgirls, took it as the more typical indie project. 'This is pretty cool, we might want some changes to it, we'll watch it.' But Autumn immediately saw it as an entire IP that could be extended not just with DLC but into new games of various other types, all of which we're very eager to work on." Wyckoff was clear on the value of creating an IP that can be extended to multiple titles. "I don't think it makes any sense any more, even for smaller developers like ourselves, to do one-off projects. There's so much work and world-building and great art that goes into creating a new game the more that we can use it in different places the better. That's what we look for publishers to do for us."
Typically publishers like Electronic Arts and Activision would own the brands and the IP, and the developers would own the code, but they would have no say in the story IP and how that would be used in the future. Autumn's model is different. "We're literally true partners in the extension of that IP. To be totally honest, all of our relationships are different. I think every developer has a different viewpoint on things, what's important to them and what's less important," Collmer said. "Certainly we structure our business to work with our development partners to take those core IP that are created on whatever the initial platform is and then extend them, not only horizontally on other games platforms but beyond that into linear and traditional media and merchandising. The way all the relationships are set up, the developers are true partners in that extension exercise across the board. The developers are going to participate alongside of us in the economic benefits."
Skullgirls interactive anime for Kinect.
I was gonna make a joke based off some Japanese game, but it was too much risque haha.
The town of Innsmouth is a BIG part of Lovecraftian lore

Basically a town of people who are fish is what little Innsmouth is and that more or less what the Lovecraft Innsmouth was too...except far less adorable. Cult of Dagon, people turning into deep ones, and a lot of spooky shit is what Lovecraft's Innsmouth is. To turn it into the place in Skullgirls was pretty creative. I was impressed they managed to create an adorable fish person.
I saw that art on SRK. My favorite ladies in that bunch are the first and fourth one. The first one looks like something out of a Disney cartoon and I just love the second one's headpiece. The guys are awesome. Hammerheads, fish men with a ship's wheel for a belt buckle, old Cthulu's with fish skeleton canes and a crustacean who wears a bowler hat? They are doing their best to outdo ASW in the crazy department and I love it. :3

Sharkmen DLC characters would literally sell games imo

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wow that ms fortune video taught me something new. I don't mean the combo, but the fact that if you hold down HP you ms.fortune wont hit her own head with attacks. I never actually tried that as well that would be a weird mechanic xD AND WELL SHIT LOOKS LIKE I SHOULD OF TRIED IT

V_Arnold

I love this game. The characters are growing on me fast.

Peacock is GAWDLIKE! :D Even if I am not playing her currently.

I have decide to go in deeper, with a group of 3. Too much damage reduction for my likings, lol. But anyway, my teams are: Valentine-Double-Parasoul and Peacock-Double-Parasoul, amongst others...

...thinking about training with Fillia as well, but her combos are out of this world :D

Also, Double has this insane tiny semi-loop of anything into launcher into something in the air followed by a j.HK, then jump back while the opponent is still getting hit, doing something else, followed by a j.HK, then jump back while the opponent is still getting hit, doing something else, followed by a j.Hk, then... you see the pattern? :D

shaowebb

I love this game. The characters are growing on me fast.

Peacock is GAWDLIKE! :D Even if I am not playing her currently.

I have decide to go in deeper, with a group of 3. Too much damage reduction for my likings, lol. But anyway, my teams are: Valentine-Double-Parasoul and Peacock-Double-Parasoul, amongst others...

...thinking about training with Fillia as well, but her combos are out of this world :D

Also, Double has this insane tiny semi-loop of anything into launcher into something in the air followed by a j.HK, then jump back while the opponent is still getting hit, doing something else, followed by a j.HK, then jump back while the opponent is still getting hit, doing something else, followed by a j.Hk, then... you see the pattern? :D

Brofist to a fellow Peacock fan! Also Peacock and Parsoul BOTH with Double assist sounds absolutely awesome IMO. What assist is Parasoul using as anchor? One of her traps?

jbug617

Banned
Nerdjosh asked Arturo on twitter if MLG and Skullgirls will ever happen and Arturo says he can't say anything. I guess it could happen or Arturo is too far down on the list to know MLG plans.

That Reverge/Autumn article was really interesting. Autumn have a good model - provide the expertise and the money, and let your developers do their own thing. Much more agile model for the new market.

Definitely interested to see what Reverge have in store for the future too, although I do hope it involves lots of attention to Skullgirls along with whatever else they're interested in.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Do you use the head midscreen at all? I can't keep track of that thing outside of the corner

Ms Fortune's head game eludes me

Yeah, the bnb I do now carries from corner to corner. Once you understand how the head moves it's easier too. I believe the head is never really off screen. If the screen moves the head moves a bit with it. So you never have to remember EXACTLY where it's at on the screen, just the general position it was.

And I'm pretty god damn sure mike wont leave the nomnomnom loop in the game. I can see him making the head count towards it's own IPS. Right now it doesn't count towards the system at all. Which is why you can do the headbutt into nomnomnom part over and over

Tobe

peacock has tenrai-ha <3!!!

figured a better combo started for fillia is cr.lp cr.lk cr.mp iad j.mp into ground series and any combo you want.

Top Bottom