• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

alstein

everyone being godlike isn't balance, it's ridiculous.

plus, grabs

The impression I'm getting is that you don't like this style of fighter. I can see that this a good game of this sub-genre of fighters, but I just don't particularly like this sub-genre, even if I am impressed by all the good points of the game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
What assists?
I keep trying other cast wanting to get a nice space eating assist for Peacock that isn't Double and so far the best was the finger thing from Painwheel, but I'm not really wanting to play her. Valentine is awesome to play though so I might use her to just shield with instead of trying to find someone else to fill the screen with bullets.

"Filia: Psylocke...er...HP DP assist
Valentine: M.Poison Load
Peacock: Banjo Session / Airplane / walking bomb"

Honestly, aside from Filia I don't really have a certain assist to use. I think everyone is going to need an Anti-Air assist in this game, just like MvC2. Filia provides that when I DHC her out for Valentine. I might switch her to second place in the long run.

Valentine is only using that as an assist, because I rely way to much on the added hitstun to combo properly. As soon as she gets brought in, hit-confirm -> Needle, means I can combo. lololololol. So far she get's played like Magnus with Psylocke assist. I just need to get a bnb down, asap.

Banjo Session is for swag purposes only. lol. It looks like a taunt too.

impact

Banned
The impression I'm getting is that you don't like this style of fighter. I can see that this a good game of this sub-genre of fighters, but I just don't particularly like this sub-genre, even if I am impressed by all the good points of the game.

I guess so. I'll stop bitching.

shaowebb

"Filia: Psylocke...er...HP DP assist
Valentine: M.Poison Load
Peacock: Banjo Session / Airplane / walking bomb"

Honestly, aside from Filia I don't really have a certain assist to use. I think everyone is going to need an Anti-Air assist in this game, just like MvC2. Filia provides that when I DHC her out for Valentine. I might switch her to second place in the long run.

Valentine is only using that as an assist, because I rely way to much on the added hitstun to combo properly. As soon as she gets brought in, hit-confirm -> Needle, means I can combo. lololololol. So far she get's played like Magnus with Psylocke assist. I just need to get a bnb down, asap.

Banjo Session is for swag purposes only. lol. It looks like a taunt too.

You might want to try Peacock's Boxcar George, or George at the airshow for an assist sometime. Boxcar George is really useful in combos for popping people back up in case they drop out of your range. Thats the QCF MK one. I'd actually be pretty interested in seeing a Filia combo using her wall bounce into George at the Airshow for maximum swag.

Of course thats only if you can stand to drop the swag of Banjo Session *Dante got nothing on dat banjo!*

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
You might want to try Peacock's Boxcar George, or George at the airshow for an assist sometime. Boxcar George is really useful in combos for popping people back up in case they drop out of your range. Thats the QCF MK one.

Of course thats only if you can stand to drop the swag of Banjo Session *Dante got nothing on dat banjo!*

Such a hard choice to make!

Does anyone have a good use for Filia's Sonic spin/blanka ball/whatever it's really called?

Such a hard choice to make!

Does anyone have a good use for Filia's Sonic spin/blanka ball/whatever it's really called?

It's a pretty awesome lockdown assist that puts your opponent in block stun for a while. A friend of mine uses that assist in conjunction with Valentine in order to get an opportunity to charge up one of her poison vials. It also has a deceptively small hitbox that makes it difficult to punish with jump in attacks. I've had situations where I'd go in with a j.HK with fortune and be hit upon landing by that assist. If you're in a situation where your team simply doesn't need a more traditional antiair assist then Hairball is definitely a solid choice.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a method of balancing. I don't particularly care for it myself, feels like this game is often more about running your own stuff then having to respect what your opponent can do to limit your options. It seems really hard to get opponents to respect anything in this game due to the amount of options.

Hmm... I don't really get this feeling. I think a good assist or 2 can really mess with the playstyle of people in this game, and, ESPECIALLY this early on, people don't have a variety of styles to use.

Early on, I used Cerebella with her Excellabella AA throw as Assist, to back up Parasoul. Every Valentine, Filia, and Ms. Fortune was royally screwed if they didn't change their IAD styles, as the move would totally eat it, and give me enough time to dash to the other side of the screen, and prep my punishes. (Still love using it now, too fun an option, but I don't depend on it as much.)

And then take the example of the "OP" Double assist. An assist that has the same Startup-vulnerability as all assist in this game, can be ducked at near mid-range, and at far range, leaves her 100% open to punishes. Once people get used to it, it'll be natural, but for now, it forces people to play in a style they don't know yet.

Personally, I find it GREAT that each character has a way to deal with everything (zoning, rushdown, turtling, etc) within their arsenals. It means that if you're losing to something, it's YOUR fault, not just some crappy tiered design philosophy.

The fact that almost ANYTHING (throws, assist, an IAD overhead, etc) can lead to extremly strong combos / resets in thsi game, leads me to feel that respect for ones options, moves, and playstyles will come naturally once everyone is comfortable with the game as a whole.

-----

Personally, I really love the fact that I don't HAVE to play certain characters to get the assist I want, due to these custom assist. I really liked Captain Commando in MvC2, and the closet I could get to CapCorridor in MvC3 was with Dante, a character I have no desire to play. Not a prob in this game. And the fact that there are no 100% invincible assist is also very nice; Every assist has clear weaknesses, uses, and ability to be punished.

The balance in the ratio system here is also nice. Unlike Mahvell, where I feel as if having a 3 man team is all about making 1 character strong (and playing 2 assist charas with moves you like... which might be with characters you DON'T), I feel that I can go tornado-tag, with 2 characters I'm equally good with, or KoF style "Every character is my main!" with 3 man teams, in this game, and still have a shot. And actually have FUN with it, because, y'know, my characters are all actually made well enough to be WORTH playing. I don't even feel that mad when a ration 3 (solo) kills off 1 of my ration 1 (3 man team) characters... I rarely ever feel like I lose my way to win in this game, even in desperate situations.

And it's suprisingly un-lopsided, which amazes me, given the options. I can play as a 3 man more-KoF style (each chara is an equal threat, Battery/2nd main/primary main team), and an opponent can play the 3 man more-MvC style (An uber character with 2 awesome new specials), and both ways seem to have mostly equal chances at success.

I'm finding I'm a real fan of "Make the characters well, and let the underlying systems balance them out!" in fighters. It really helps to open up a wider portion of the cast to being REALLY viable, and enjoyable to play. Seems like it was a really smart choice (among many) for SGs.

I'm really patting myself on the back over the Peacock/Double situation as I totally called that shit months ago.

Pleasantly surprised at how much fun I'm having with double though. Her combos are just really satisfying to land and I love how people online don't seem to realize that I still have Hornet Bomber as a legitimate option while im on point. Yeah, just keep trying to IAD at me when I have meter ...

shaowebb

Hmm... I don't really get this feeling. I think a good assist or 2 can really mess with the playstyle of people in this game, and, ESPECIALLY this early on, people don't have a variety of styles to use.

Early on, I used Cerebella with her Excellabella AA throw to back up Parasoul. Every Valentine, Filia, and Ms. Fortune was rorally screwed if they didn't change their IAD styles, as the move would totally eat it, and give me enough time to dash to the other side of the screen, and prep my punishes. (Still love using it now, too fun an option, but I don't depend on it as much.)

And then take the example of the "OP" Double assist. An assist that has the same Startup-vulnerability as all assist in this game, can be ducked at near mid-range, and at far range, leaves her 100% open to punishes. Once people get used to it, it'll be natural, but for now, it forces people to play in a style they don't know yet.

Personally, I find it GREAT that each character has a way to deal with everything (zoning, rushdown, turtling, etc) within their arsenals. It means that if you're losing to something, it's YOUR fault, not just some crappy tiered design philosophy.

The fact that almost ANYTHING (throws, assist, an IAD overhead, etc) can lead to extremly strong combos / resets in thsi game, leads me to feel that respect for ones options, moves, and playstyles will come naturally once everyone is comfortable with the game as a whole.

-----

Personally, I really love the fact that I don't HAVE to play certain characters to get the assist I want, due to these custom assist. I really liked Captain Commando in MvC2, and the closet I could get to CapCorridor in MvC3 was with Dante, a character I have no desire to play. Not a prob in this game. And the fact that there are no 100% invincible assist is also very nice; Every assist has clear weaknesses, uses, and ability to be punished.
The balance in the ratio system here is also nice. Unlike Mahvell, where I feel as if having a 3 man team is all about making 1 character strong (and playing 2 assist charas with moves you like... which might be with characters you DON'T), I feel that I can go tornado-tag, with 2 characters I'm equally good with, or KoF style "Every character is my main!" with 3 man teams, in this game, and still have a shot. And actually have FUN with it, because, y'know, my characters are all actually made well enough to be WORTH playing. I don't even feel that mad when a ration 3 (solo) kills off 1 of my ration 1 (3 man team) characters... I rarely ever feel like I lose my way to win in this game, even in desperate situations.

I'm finding it suprisingly un-lopsided, which amazes me, given the options. I can play as a 3 man more-KoF style (each chara is an equal threat, Battery/2nd main/primary main team), and an opponent can play the 3 man more-MvC style (An uber character with 2 awesome new specials), and both ways seem to have mostly equal chances at success.

I'm finding I'm a real fan of "Make the characters well, and let the underlying systems balance them out!" in fighters. It really helps to open up a wider portion of the cast to being REALLY viable, and enjoyable to play. Seems like it was a really smart choice (among many) for SGs.

I love you. Hold me. <3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love you. Hold me. <3

MANLY HOLD/HUG TIME!

18083-2.jpg

Am I... Am I doning it right?!? ;)

Pleasantly surprised at how much fun I'm having with double though. Her combos are just really satisfying to land and I love how people online don't seem to realize that I still have Hornet Bomber as a legitimate option while im on point. Yeah, just keep trying to IAD at me when I have meter ...

Yeah, I notice how nice Double's combos seem to be. Not even mad when getting OCV'd by one, because it was all pretty cool to watch, which keeps it from being 100% frustrating, lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
^ LOLOL

GG's K701

Man Droping combos out the ass eventually I was like FUCK YOU DROPPED INPUTS and just mashed them out so they would go. *nomnomnom part to be precise*

Also was raging at the failed attempts to jump out of peacocks blocked super for the free punishes D:

K701

Banned
LOL peacocks is almost twice as far as fortune's, it's just fortune is FAST. Gotta use them when you can.

I dunno, maybe the tech timing window is too short? Tried to tech a lot of times and it wouldnt come out. Grab super wouldnt come out either.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I dunno, maybe the tech timing window is too short? Tried to tech a lot of times and it wouldnt come out. Grab super wouldnt come out either.

Oh for her grab super you have to do the two inputs back to back, you cant really wait and see if you landed it or not. If the throw got teched it wont waste meter or do something else.

and yeah the tech window in this game is pretty short, you pretty much gotta break the throw at the same time as they throw you, kinda like 3rd strike.

K701

Banned
Oh for her grab super you have to do the two inputs back to back, you cant really wait and see if you landed it or not. If the throw got teched it wont waste meter or do something else.

and yeah the tech window in this game is pretty short, you pretty much gotta break the throw at the same time as they throw you, kinda like 3rd strike.

I didnt try to confirm grab super. Every time time I have 3 bars I always do the motion right after the grab. I dont even try to grab unless I have 3 bars (unless it's to tech).

Maybe my hand eye coordination is just sluggish, I should really go to sleep.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
bleh. I suck dick at doing combos in marvel/anime style games. So many long combos that ill never be able to do.

It's not that hard. Pick a character who's combos are not that complex. Ms.Fortune for example doesn't have complex combos. They just look fancy

vocab

It's not that hard. Pick a character who's combos are not that complex. Ms.Fortune for example doesn't have complex combos. They just look fancy

But the fucking head is gonna mess me up! I've been messing around with valentine/Parasoul/Cerabella. Parasoul lacks mobility. Valentine feels good, and Cerabella feels like shes a little too advanced for my taste, but fun. I don't know. I just need to play some more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
But the fucking head is gonna mess me up! I've been messing around with valentine/Parasoul/Cerabella. Parasoul lacks mobility. Valentine feels good, and Cerabella feels like shes a little too advanced for my taste, but fun. I don't know. I just need to play some more.

No no no, the head is actually no where near as complex as other fighting game pet characters.

She has 4 basic commands with it and that's it all with Hp

A single press gives the little ear stab.

Holding left or right and press makes her slide across the stage

An uppercut with Hp makes her sneeze

and a backwards fireball motion with Hp makes her do the nomnomnom hold.

http://youtu.be/cDFFzLu2Rzo

If you break this combo down into the 5 parts of it, it's really simple.

1 The first part is a standard ground chain.

2 Next you jump and do the two hits into an air dash into a Mk into the head spike 4 inputs only.

3 Then you land and do a down mk into launcher, nothing complex here.

4 Then you do a very basic chain in the air, of lp,mp,mk,hk, into super. Which is basically just going across the board with inputs.

5 Then after the super ends you do nomnomnom *with the game still thinking you are facing the corner* and dash up and do a basic ground chain into claws into super.

Practicing each part on it's own then slowly placing them together is the easiest way to learn combos.

NEO0MJ

One thing that confuses me with this game is the short time you stay in the air compared to marvel, I feel like you have to time thing perfectly. Plus I still go auto pilot sometimes and try to do the basic

A>B>C>D>SUPER JUMP>B>B>C>D

Combo from Marvel. Getting back to six buttons has been strange.

shaowebb

No no no, the head is actually no where near as complex as other fighting game pet characters.

She has 4 basic commands with it and that's it all with Hp

A single press gives the little ear stab.

Holding left or right and press makes her slide across the stage

An uppercut with Hp makes her sneeze

and a backwards fireball motion with Hp makes her do the nomnomnom hold.

http://youtu.be/cDFFzLu2Rzo

If you break this combo down into the 5 parts of it, it's really simple.

1 The first part is a standard ground chain.

2 Next you jump and do the two hits into an air dash into a Mk into the head spike 4 inputs only.

3 Then you land and do a down mk into launcher, nothing complex here.

4 Then you do a very basic chain in the air, of lp,mp,mk,hk, into super. Which is basically just going across the board with inputs.

5 Then after the super ends you do nomnomnom *with the game still thinking you are facing the corner* and dash up and do a basic ground chain into claws into super.

Practicing each part on it's own then slowly placing them together is the easiest way to learn combos.

Its like "teach me boobie lady" With Q instead of Lichee up in here.
Great breakdown on how to use Ms Fortune's head and how to learn long combos BTW

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One thing that confuses me with this game is the short time you stay in the air compared to marvel, I feel like you have to time thing perfectly. Plus I still go auto pilot sometimes and try to do the basic

A>B>C>D>SUPER JUMP>B>B>C>D

Combo from Marvel. Getting back to six buttons has been strange.

Yeah having a ton of BB and GG exp helps me more on the combos in this as the timings are kinda similar to those games

Yo Q do you want to play? First to 5

First to 25? but yeah sure what's your psn?

The timing for Painwheel's combo that involve two fly cancels is crazy. I was feeling like running a term B of Painwheel and Valentine but I don't think i can manage it.

Thinking about trying out Ms Fortune but her character design gives me the willies

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
Its like "teach me boobie lady" With Q instead of Lichee up in here.
Great breakdown on how to use Ms Fortune's head and how to learn long combos BTW

Oddly enough, I think the Infinite Prevention System itself goes a long way toward teaching people to think about combos in compartmentalized chunks rather than as one long string of moves. Since the IPS is mostly looking at the move with which you start an air or ground string, it sorta forces you to think of each combo piece separately and figure out how to put them together in a way that works.

shaowebb

Oddly enough, I think the Infinite Prevention System itself goes a long way toward teaching people to think about combos in compartmentalized chunks rather than as one long string of moves. Since the IPS is mostly looking at the move with which you start an air or ground string, it sorta forces you to think of each combo piece separately and figure out how to put them together in a way that works.

So basically it goes
  • groundpart of combo and how to end in a launcher or convertable move like a super or throw that puts them into a different state
  • air part after that ending in something you can convert into something you can keep comboing after you land like a blockbuster, super or assist that lets you convert
  • possible extra ground portion or air portion
  • ending blockbuster or dhc sequence

Am I doing this right? Where my boobie lady at?

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
So basically it goes
  • groundpart of combo and how to end in a launcher or convertable move like a super or throw that puts them into a different state
  • air part after that ending in something you can convert into something you can keep comboing after you land like a blockbuster, super or assist that lets you convert
  • possible extra ground portion or air portion
  • ending blockbuster or dhc sequence

Am I doing this right? Where my boobie lady at?

For basic combos, yes. Of course, this game has other mechanics that can add to the number of compartmentalized pieces of your combos. For example, there are moves like Painwheel's qcf+LP and Parasoul's LK Napalm Shot that allow you to link into another, separate combo chain (in Parasoul's case, this can happen multiple times in the corner). Every character also has ways to cause the opponent to "re-stand" - this happens when hitstun on an aerial opponent lasts long enough to keep them in hitstun on the ground - which can also potentially lead to a new combo piece.

Desk's blog has a good basic breakdown of how the IPS works and runs through an example (with included video) that shows where each combo piece starts (aka what normal is then being monitored for IPS): http://biffotasty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/skullgirls.html

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I will not forget this Q, I vow to get revenge on you. Whether it be this game or future fighting game releases.

You gotta learn some dmg combos. You prob would of beat me once at least if you had some :3 *more than once actually* oh and

As far as I can tell it works like this.

What ever button you press at the start of the chain is what gets counted

Your first two chains are FREE they don't count towards the system at all

Air dash canceling makes you start a new chain.

So with this in mind

You can use every button as a chain starter once in a combo not counting 2 other times.

Honestly the only character with complex combos in this game is painwheel :p Everyone else just looks harder than it really is.

You gotta learn some dmg combos. You prob would of beat me once at least if you had some :3 *more than once actually* oh and
I know some lol BUT uses the poison thing and I was having a hard enough time trying to use it so i eventually said f it. Plus it seems like all ms fortune normals were destroying my normals haha. You kind of forced me to play all basic

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know some lol BUT uses the poison thing and I was having a hard enough time trying to use it so i eventually said f it. Plus it seems like all ms fortune normals were destroying my normals haha. You kind of forced me to play all basic

Sounds like you need a teammate :p
So I can kill you faster

Oh and I like this picture :3

Ms Fortune still gives me the heebie jeebies, but I worked out a pretty decent corner combo with her.

jHP, cMK, sHK, jMK, ADC, jMK, 214HP, sHK, jMP, jMK, 214MK, 214HP, MP, MK (2 hits), 236MP x3 (rekkas), 236 PP

Damage is 6.9K and it goes down depending on how OMNOMNOMNOM long is active.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Okay time to practice peacock combos today so I'm not relying on zoning + hornet bomber assist.

Looping 2LP 2MK 2HP 5HK 236LK x3 is good. Need to change it to on the third loop or so to 2LK 2HP instead of 2LP 2MK though.

I feel like I must be missing something here, 2 frames of vulnerability into invulnerability still makes it an incredibly strong get off me tool just like Haggar's latiat in Ultimate. Whilst it can be ducked in it's application as a cross up w/air-dash attacks that's going to get you blown up. Also it doesn't leave her 100% open if her partner is rush-down, by the time you get out of block stun they'll already be in your face and chances are if you manage to block they next offensive move she'll be ready to call out again. Add to that it probably the best anti-air in the game.

Shit it broken, it has far to many applications (as in pretty much every application you could want from any assist) and no weakness if it's used on the right team with the right player.

Top Bottom