• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Anybody having any luck against Peacock as Painwheel? Jump back roundhouse whilst calling down items makes the match-up feel like it's 9-1 due to Painwheel's lack of any ground mobility and the moves totally covering the air..

Patience? ...that's all I've got. The handful peacocks I've fought followed a repetitious pattern. Kind of feels like playing mario or some random platformer at times. PW v. Peacock isn't a very fun match-up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's this about?

Gaf on blast?

On blast about what? There hasn't really been any post here crying about her. Can't really be on blast when the blasting makes no sense. Probably referring to the sf x tk thread if anything. People bitch about hugo all day, I don't necessarily bitch about gief in it but I try to point out that he is a really really good character. Hugo sucks imo.

Mechazawa

Guy has spent the past 30 minutes making vague, indirect comments about "lol Gaf you so SAAAAAWLT"

I think it's just a dick you can ignore.

Infinite

On blast about what? There hasn't really been any post here crying about her. Can't really be on blast when the blasting makes no sense. Probably referring to the sf x tk thread if anything. People bitch about hugo all day, I don't necessarily bitch about gief in it but I try to point out that he is a really really good character. Hugo sucks imo.

yeah you right.

People say a ton of stupid shit on Twitter. Hell, check out OT threads some time. Don't let it get to you :)

lol true. That post was mad random though and kinda didn't make any sense.

Guy has spent the past 30 minutes making vague, indirect comments about "lol Gaf you so SAAAAAWLT"

I think it's just a dick you can ignore.

yeah.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Filia: Psylocke...er...HP DP assist
Valentine: M.Poison Load
Peacock: Banjo Session / Airplane / walking bomb

...is a pretty fun team. Get some meter with Filia, Load Needle with Valentine, DHC to Valentine, etc. I just need to come up with combos. Filia's DP assist is a great Anti-Air. Also good for MvC2 type of stuff. Creating shit is so much fun in this game.

joe2187

Banned
Sweet hope I can see some nice Ms.Fortune play. Havent played one yet that could out play me yet. So here's hoping I see some crazy stuff :D

I main Ms Fortune :)

But Im a stick player, and I dont own a stick for PS3, playing SG and 3S feels so weird!

I'd play you but I'd be to busy figuring out why I forget my heavy attack button is missing.

shaowebb

Stop mashing buttons
Pretty much. Its a test of patience where you inch in and punish for all your worth.

Uh, you do realize I don't even have the game, right. Don't be a douchebag.
He's not. Thats the actual answer to this. Its pretty much neutral jump and double jumps where you try to block anything you can or block dash block dash repeat until they are in range to be punished.

Patience? ...that's all I've got. The handful peacocks I've fought followed a repetitious pattern. Kind of feels like playing mario or some random platformer at times. PW v. Peacock isn't a very fun match-up.
Yup. Patience. I've been Peacocking it up in between homework and its all about reading someone's pattern. What you need to worry about is if they remember that they can teleport, grab, or dash past jump dashers. If they remember those options even catching up to a peacock is a guessing game. It was pretty fun dashing past a jump dash attempt to get in and summoning the homing thing while I was getting out of there. If it helps though I'm trying to find other stuff than double for an assist though. Double is just really good with Peacock though.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why am I so good with peacock and double oh right OP assist.

It's okay, one of these two charas will be dropped when Umbrella comes out!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am curious about the game but I haven't purchase the game yet. I wonder if there is any secret characters that I have to work hard to unlock?

shaowebb

For everyone wondering about this "OP" Double assist +Peacock combo I will post this video AGAIN.

The Peacock/Double zoning game everyone is abusing

Even if it gets done to death I'm not dropping Peacock since she's the coolest character design I've seen in a long while theme-wise and is a major reason I was hyped to play this cast. I've used this setup and it works just as good as it looks here, but I'm wanting to come up with something more my own. I'm liking Painwheel's finger explosion as an assist as it works a lot like Taskmaster vertical shot and I like how that works with Peacock's 4 shot and ground bombs zoning technique. If anyone's got an idea of a great way to use Valentine moves to assist Peacock though I'd like to know as I really like playing Valentine's moveset.

BTW its not OP. I've lost using this pretty easily as some people are hard to run from easily and can rush this down before it can get going sometimes. Also, folks that play patient, block, and read you will punish you all day. I ran into a Filia who was great at blocking, inching up, and then using hairspike to hit me and wreck my pattern. Also people can blockbuster punish this and corner you for trying to lame them.

Item Box

I don't see why people are complaining about double's assist being OP when it can be bypassed with a simple super jump. You can sometimes even get under it depending on who and how close you are.

Just play safe and(as QisTopTier mentioned earlier) patient.

I updated the online section with some more tags/IDs. Check it out now if you want new people to fight with.

Powerup was also amazing. Simply the best showing for the game yet. I didn't think that it would top Super NCI, but it did. The numbers were also good. Skullgirls probably should have been an EVO game.
Ravidrath, are you at liberty to say what this first patch is going to contain?

Either way, I have a personal list of what I'd like to see:

Training mode:
Dummy record/playback option, preferably as long as possible
Dummy blocking options (no block, auto block after one hit, block high, block low, block all, random block, option to counter attack with specific move on earliest frame with fastest move selected by default, option to pushblock early, late, or not at all)
Dummy tech options (none, forward, backward, random)
Dummy state options (stand, crouch, forward/vertical/backward jump/super jump, repeat specific attack, cpu)
Dummy walk forward/jump buttons (like marvel 3)

Save states (kinda like emulators/3soe)
Defense drills (queue up several mixup strings by dummy, then play them back randomly and attempt to block, with counter for attempts made vs successful blocks like vf4 evo)
Offense drills (dummy goes into cpu mode, but doesn't attack, and instead tries to block all of your mixups; end with safe moves on block and combos on hit to successfully complete a set)

Online and offline replays
Replay training mode (pause game and pick a character to take control of while other character continues playing back replay button inputs)

Tutorials:
Trials that demonstrate bread and butter combos

I'm pretty sure most of that won't get put into the patch, but the soul still burns.
I saw this before, but I couldn't find it when I searched yesterday. Most of this ought to be in training mode and tutorials. Being able to customize defensive reactions(ala IB and barrier block in BB) helped me a lot in BlazBlue. Having lots of combos in BB was also a gigantic help for me since it helped with improvisation. I think Mike had it right when he decided to wait for people to show off useful combos. Skullgirls will be an amazing game once they get to patch in stuff or make a sequel.
Although this is the single most frustrating game I've ever played, I do appreciate the kick ass Umbrella Academy reference.
Frustrating? Vanilla MvC3 was truly the most salt inducing game ever. Skullgirls doesn't even compare.

Azure J

Filia: Psylocke...er...HP DP assist
Valentine: M.Poison Load
Peacock: Banjo Session / Airplane / walking bomb

...is a pretty fun team. Get some meter with Filia, Load Needle with Valentine, DHC to Valentine, etc. I just need to come up with combos. Filia's DP assist is a great Anti-Air. Also good for MvC2 type of stuff. Creating shit is so much fun in this game.

Totally tangential, but this really made me laugh. :lol

The footage at Power Up and that perfectly done Lvl. 3 Valentine ending make me ache for this game so bad. I think I'll grab it within the week at this rate.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I don't see why people are complaining about double's assist being OP when it can be bypassed with a simple super jump. You can sometimes even get under it depending on who and how close you are.

Just play safe and(as QisTopTier mentioned earlier) patient.

Its not just the assist, is that you also have to worry about the fact that Peacock drops like, 3 attacks at once (item falling from the sky, projectiles in mid range, etc) A lot of the times you get through blocking those, think you have an opening and bam, butt in the face.

Sorry, but Im not convinced that an awesome player like Q (who is ranked 80th, haha! I looked) saying that its "easy" to punish means much. Im an "average" player (as far as "doesnt compete in tournaments" types go) and Milk was just destroying my tier 1 character with his 3 man team using that setup. By the time Peacock was dead and had 2 kill 2 more charas, I barely had 10 percent health left.

Its like me telling you all that I don't get why you think drawing is hard.

The amount of skill required to punish it is a lot higher than the amount of skill to perform it. I dont think thats arguable.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Damn I dropped down to 80th? I was 30th before I went to bed LOL

No but but seriously just play more patient. You know how I punish it half the time? Im jumping already and I'll backdash into it

shaowebb

Just a spitball idea, but has any fighting game ever offered the ability to upload a combo you recorded directly to Youtube with annotations viewable? That or the ability to save a combo after you do one in training and upload its annotations and a ghost somewhere online to downline into like a "mission mode" for players to grind in? I'd be down for such a thing if the game itself had in-game search options to find combos afterwards via searches for character, damage or number of hits.

This is all totally secondary to the main stuff everyone else is mentioning like training mode options, lobbies, movelists, and so on and so forth, but I thought I'd mention it. Just something I've wondered about for awhile now.

shaowebb

Its not just the assist, is that you also have to worry about the fact that Peacock drops like, 3 attacks at once (item falling from the sky, projectiles in mid range, etc) A lot of the times you get through blocking those, think you have an opening and bam, butt in the face.

Sorry, but Im not convinced that an awesome player like Q (who is ranked 80th, haha! I looked) saying that its "easy" to punish means much. Im an "average" player (as far as "doesnt compete in tournaments" types go) and Milk was just destroying my tier 1 character with his 3 man team using that setup. By the time Peacock was dead and had 2 kill 2 more charas, I barely had 10 percent health left.

Its like me telling you all that I don't get why you think drawing is hard.

The amount of skill required to punish it is a lot higher than the amount of skill to perform it. I dont think thats arguable.

I respect this on all fronts and I play Peacock. However, if you corner her by blockbustering through all that she's in a world of trouble. Its not as difficult as you think to punish. You can do it by being a patient player with no meter, you can do it by using the right assists, you can do it by timing jumps properly. It takes patience, but its nowhere near as rough as folks are saying. If you can convert a throw to a combo I suggest once you get in going for that first to interrupt her stuff instead of maybe having her block your first real attack and then getting to pop the tracking overhead on you and then the assist to get away again.

Once you've lost with this setup a few times you realize that its nowhere near as broken as you'd like as the user of it who has to face a better player.

Also, I draw too and wanted to give you legit props on your fanart. I dig your style.

shaowebb

everyone being godlike isn't balance, it's ridiculous.

plus, grabs

Seriously, don't know what your getting at here. Could you be specific as to what is broken, because the whole cast has tools to deal with any kind of play style and none of them are really OP compared to the rest of the cast. Enlighten us.

alstein

plus, grabs

It's a method of balancing. I don't particularly care for it myself, feels like this game is often more about running your own stuff then having to respect what your opponent can do to limit your options. It seems really hard to get opponents to respect anything in this game due to the amount of options.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Maybe it's because I'm coming off of UMvC3, but I think grabs are pretty fair in this game. Bella does have crazy grab ranges, but outside from that, I think they're okay.

impact

Banned
Seriously, don't know what your getting at here. Could you be specific as to what is broken, because the whole cast has tools to deal with any kind of play style and none of them are really OP compared to the rest of the cast. Enlighten us.

When every character can kill you in 2 combos (some even one) that's stupid. I guess it's because I never play tag games or anime games though. Game would be fine as straight 1v1 and lower damage across the board.

shaowebb

Trust, I know. My brother plays her and Ms.Fortune. It's my fault for letting her even get near me in the first place, considering my team. :/ smh...

Who ya playing? I'm maining Peacock and experimenting on a second based off of whoever's assists are the most fun. Though I do like playing as Valentine too.

joe2187

Banned

plus, grabs

Stop trying to crouch tech, learn the mechanic

Grabs are cheap = Every fighting game

I love the balance in this game, fuck tiers they make good games boring and predictable.

Rocket Raccoon says stay free!

shaowebb

Filia, Valentine, Peacock! :D

What assists?
I keep trying other cast wanting to get a nice space eating assist for Peacock that isn't Double and so far the best was the finger thing from Painwheel, but I'm not really wanting to play her. Valentine is awesome to play though so I might use her to just shield with instead of trying to find someone else to fill the screen with bullets. Besides her Vial Hazard type B (MP) increases hit stun!
*troooooooll face*
Good luck against Peacock zoning if I can successfully bait you into THAT assist.

Top Bottom