• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyforge |OT| Thou shall not workship false prophets

Vex_

Banned
I usually like playing healers, so how is the support role in this? Is it actually a required, integral part of the game, or just an underwhelming DPS role with a bit of utility?

Are particular demand for one class over the other?

In my honest opinion, I feel that support can burst dps if they wanted to. They are about as strong/stronger than my paladin (tank) from my experience. So they aren't just buffing, they are dealing damage too.

There aren't a lot of support right now for some reason. I'm guessing everyone wanted to be the traditional sword and board (paladin) or cryomancer for obscene dps. The problem with this is the cryo is squishy, so you end up failing raids because they draw a ridiculous amount of aggro (holy shit) with no damage mitigation other than slowing down the inevitable with their ice.

Because paladins get their hate/aggro skill so late, this is bad.

It goes like this:

Cryo is 1st to die, then paladins can't kill boss in time and their shields/damage mitigation skills runs out. They die too.

That entire scenario is missing one element that would make things infinitely easier. Support.

The lightbinder can not only buff the paladin to give him more damage, he can shield the cryo so he can continue DPSing.

I would've went binder if I had known literally everyone was going to go pally and cryo. I have yet to see a binder in my raids I have done. Not sure if we even have one among us SKYGAF either lol!!

Tldr; we need support bad imo.

Cracklox

as far as i understand it so far there is no real healer. you get some health drops from the monsters themselves. there is a support starting class (lightbringer) but i am not sure of its function exactly (the ingame tutorial lost me). you target a friendly member and you can shield them and use your attacks on them and that does .. something :p

Think of it as proactive healing. Get shields down to negate big damage as much as possible rather then healing after the damage is done. I have pretty much zero experience with LB but I'm pretty sure thats the basic concept.

I've survived through some pretty crazy shit because of LBs who know what they're doing. I also saw a guy solo the second half of a pretty tough boss battle after me and the other guy bit it. I swear, the guy seemed like he was taking no damage the whole time

edit - re above from what I know about RU endgame 10 man raids is that a couple of lightbinders (along with alchemists) in each group are apparently the 1st thing people look for. So I think as the game goes on you'll see more and just how effective they can be, especially as people figure out how to use their support capabilities properly

And you are correct. Per doc we have approx one LB. Or technically none, because I just invited him and he hasn't accepted yet

Klyka

Banned
In my honest opinion, I feel that support can burst dps if they wanted to. They are about as strong/stronger than my paladin (tank) from my experience. So they aren't just buffing, they are dealing damage too.

There aren't a lot of support right now for some reason. I'm guessing everyone wanted to be the traditional sword and board (paladin) or cryomancer for obscene dps. The problem with this is the cryo is squishy, so you end up failing raids because they draw a ridiculous amount of aggro (holy shit) with no damage mitigation other than slowing down the inevitable with their ice.

Because paladins get their hate/aggro skill so late, this is bad.

It goes like this:

Cryo is 1st to die, then paladins can't kill boss in time and their shields/damage mitigation skills runs out. They die too.

That entire scenario is missing one element that would make things infinitely easier. Support.

The lightbinder can not only buff the paladin to give him more damage, he can shield the cryo so he can continue DPSing.

I would've went binder if I had known literally everyone was going to go pally and cryo. I have yet to see a binder in my raids I have done. Not sure if we even have one among us SKYGAF either lol!!

I play a lightbringer but right now the whole "shoot an ally to give him a damage boost" is barely worth it cause I can just shoot the enemy for the same/more damage :(

Zaph

Thanks for the responses guys, definitely going to check out the support characters, but yeah, this is exactly what I feared:
I play a lightbringer but right now the whole "shoot an ally to give him a damage boost" is barely worth it cause I can just shoot the enemy for the same/more damage :(

I really like the idea of support characters instead of healers in concept, but too often they have this problem - I imagine they're incredibly difficult to balance? Like, if 1 DPS and 1 Support is the equivalent of 2 DPS in damage, why not have 2 DPS? If they combine to more damage, then you have a big scaling and encounter design problem. It's the typical Enhancement Shaman/Shadow Priest problem from classic/TBC WoW. Blizzard got so fed up of having to factor in the potential for those buffs, they just nerfed them and tried to equalise the DPS in exchange.

Hopefully the damage mitigation makes up for it.

Klyka

Banned
Thanks for the responses guys, definitely going to check out the support characters, but yeah, this is exactly what I feared:

I really like the idea of support characters instead of healers in concept, but too often they have this problem - I imagine they're incredibly difficult to balance? Like, if 1 DPS and 1 Support is the equivalent of 2 DPS in damage, why not have 2 DPS? If they combine to more damage, then you have a big scaling and encounter design problem. It's the typical Enhancement Shaman/Shadow Priest problem from classic/TBC WoW. Blizzard got so fed up of having to factor in the potential for those buffs, they just nerfed them and tried to equalise the DPS in exchange.

Hopefully the damage mitigation makes up for it.

In that very first group factory mission I did, it was me and 2 cryos.
I saved one of the cryos from death about 5 times by shielding him.

So,yeah, damage mitigation is pretty good,but I also do some nice dps for now.

Stider

I started as a cryo but have switched to lightbinder to give that a go. Not bad so far. Biggest issue is that they control differently so that could throw people off using them.

Cracklox

I started as a cryo but have switched to lightbinder to give that a go. Not bad so far. Biggest issue is that they control differently so that could throw people off using them.

You should join the Pantheon! We could do with a Lightblender or 2. Even if you end up playing something else, well, you should still join the pantheon!

Stider

You should join the Pantheon! We could do with a Lightblender or 2. Even if you end up playing something else, well, you should still join the pantheon!

Wanted to see what I thought of the game first. Enjoying it so far so will apply.

Cracklox

^^^And you're in.

After the current building is finished (its pretty close) that gives us 6 clans of 5, so 30 spots. 21 filled, and I think there's a couple that are still pending or having issues.

It would be nice to start saving for a Fort (1.5 mil !!) or an Academy (2 mil !!!!!!) but with those sort of costs we're probably best to build more space and hope for more numbers with generous pockets. I mean, everyone's done there best to pitch in and we have what we have + 90k in the bank. Another 1.4 would take quite a while at the rate we're going.

I'm thinking we should upgrade the clan size next. Giving us an even 6x6. Could be time to start thinking about giving 1 or 2 others clan leadership too

Anyway, up to Clearos of course, but thought I'd put it out there.

I had no idea that premium was a thing for a limited time when you started. I logged in today and am greeted with a warning message that my premium features is over and i'll have to grind a whole lot more without it, yeah no thanks, the grind is real crazy here.

fyqV1b8.png

Meant to talk about this yesterday but, I didn't play it yesterday.

I am not sure how much longer I will play with this but, I enjoy the combat.

Freiya

Giving this a look now. As someone with a huge fondness for Tera's combat, will this hit the same spot?

No, it's much more arcadey than tera. I'd compare it more to bns combat and bns feels 3x more polished. Tera is real action combat where dodges actually matter and have iframes etc. There is no comparison honestly.

My friends and I ended up uninstalling after we hit the cap in 3 days of play time. Game is decent enough but it definitely has a lot of bad design choices and we might have been able to stomach them but the cap on class/skill progression is a deal breaker. Completely lost interest in the game after hitting the cap and stopped logging in.

BNS beta is coming soon and it's a lot better. So easy to sign up for taiwan bns with facebook and english patch to prepare for na release it's hard to justify putting up with caps.

good luck to everyone who decides to stick with the game though. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Ploid 3.0

Think of it as proactive healing. Get shields down to negate big damage as much as possible rather then healing after the damage is done. I have pretty much zero experience with LB but I'm pretty sure thats the basic concept.

I've survived through some pretty crazy shit because of LBs who know what they're doing. I also saw a guy solo the second half of a pretty tough boss battle after me and the other guy bit it. I swear, the guy seemed like he was taking no damage the whole time

edit - re above from what I know about RU endgame 10 man raids is that a couple of lightbinders (along with alchemists) in each group are apparently the 1st thing people look for. So I think as the game goes on you'll see more and just how effective they can be, especially as people figure out how to use their support capabilities properly

And you are correct. Per doc we have approx one LB. Or technically none, because I just invited him and he hasn't accepted yet

I'm a Lightbinder and I really like it, even though I've been itching to get to try Kinetic. Lightbinder can't always save a group though. I've been in groups where the tank died over and over even though I gave it shield after shield, and buffed it's damage a lot. Though in that fight the tank kept getting hit with a very damaging strike for some reason which I proceeded to tank for a long time as me and the other lightbinder just duoed the fight with me on the boss at all times, and him/her on the adds that would spawn.

Video of a Lightbinder in 5 man party (not me).
https://youtu.be/s9R3EGLJCPA

Cracklox

No, it's much more arcadey than tera. I'd compare it more to bns combat and bns feels 3x more polished. Tera is real action combat where dodges actually matter and have iframes etc. There is no comparison honestly.

My friends and I ended up uninstalling after we hit the cap in 3 days of play time. Game is decent enough but it definitely has a lot of bad design choices and we might have been able to stomach them but the cap on class/skill progression is a deal breaker. Completely lost interest in the game after hitting the cap and stopped logging in.

BNS beta is coming soon and it's a lot better. So easy to sign up for taiwan bns with facebook and english patch to prepare for na release it's hard to justify putting up with caps.

good luck to everyone who decides to stick with the game though. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Fair points, and the cap is quite the point of contention. I understand why some see that and go 'not for me'. That said there's still plenty to do after capping sparks. If you capped credits in 3 days I'd be suprised. I've played a fair bit this week, and with reset tomorrow I don't think I'll be hitting it. Things are getting quite expensive at the point I'm at too, so they're a pretty valuable commodity

Theres also the order, and finding gear upgrades which can both earn you quite a bit of prestige. Orderville probably isn't for everyone. At the end of the day your building another stat stick, just with some added flavor but I've gotten suprisingly more invested in it then I thought I would. Prob cos I want best stat stick :/

Anyway, good you at least gave it a spin. Maybe down the track they'll adjust they're capping policies. One quick look at there forums suggest theres alot of others like yourself....

As a sidenote I had somehow never heard of TERA until after I started this. I have no idea how but anyhow, it is now downloaded, and I'm kinda scared to start. Looks right up my alley as well, but I really like this game too.....

Edit. - Oh there's a grind alright but don't all MMORPGs? Here its not so bad IMHO because the gameplay is so involving with some pretty spectacular action to boot.

and sent invite skulldead

Clearos

I don't see it as super grindy. I mean for world of warcraft I did the same dungeon every night to get tokens to buy armor and I ran those same dungeons a lot. Skyforge adds a lot of mini goals to break up the grind.

Question for Tera players as it is part of discussion.

Are the quests still the same 5 quests in every zone? I played it a year or two ago and I could not even get to max level due to the quest being so boring/predictable.

I don't see it as super grindy. I mean for world of warcraft I did the same dungeon every night to get tokens to buy armor and I ran those same dungeons a lot. Skyforge adds a lot of mini goals to break up the grind.

Question for Tera players as it is part of discussion.

Are the quests still the same 5 quests in every zone? I played it a year or two ago and I could not even get to max level due to the quest being so boring/predictable.

I loved Tera's combat but that was my issue as well, the questing was among the worst of any MMO i'd played, and it didn't seem like there was much of an end game. The combination of good graphics and fun combat couldn't win out over the slow leveling, bad questing and lack of content for me. It seems like there has been a lot of updates to Tera since I played though so I imagine there's a lot more content there now.

Ploid 3.0

Ooh I can't wait for the reset, a chance to really start playing Kinetic. It feels like it's still in demo mode with this cap, and like a thread on reddit layed out, being able to continue to grow in prestige doesn't help when your abilities and traits are halted. You just end up doing content that feels way too high when you don't have the actual tools to do it well. It's why I don't buy the "there's plenty to do even after you cap Sparks" line.

Also Might, and updating your weapon slot (more might) seem to be inefficient vs other stats and Rings Booster then offhand (HP bonus). It raises your Prestige but apparently the effectiveness of might later isn't that great.

Ooh I can't wait for the reset, a chance to really start playing Kinetic. It feels like it's still in demo mode with this cap, and like a thread on reddit layed out, being able to continue to grow in prestige doesn't help when your abilities and traits are halted. You just end up doing content that feels way too high when you don't have the actual tools to do it well. It's why I don't buy the "there's plenty to do even after you cap Sparks" line.

Also Might, and updating your weapon slot (more might) seem to be inefficient vs other stats and Rings Booster then offhand (HP bonus). It raises your Prestige but apparently the effectiveness of might later isn't that great.

Yeah I just unlocked Kinetic last night and only got a few abilities before hitting cap. Seems really cool, a lot more complex than Cryomancer.

They really nailed the economy system.
There's literally no gold spammers at all. A f2p game, no gold spammer, I can't believe such game exists lol. Gold spammers are still the problem even in p2p games like WoW or FFXIV. You can't trade nor send mails here in Skyforge, so there's no room for RMT. Goodbye gold spammers, may you find peace in many other games.

Ploid 3.0

Played it for the first time a few hours ago. What's this reset that's going to happen? Do I lose all my progress?

Currency caps. They reset so you can start collecting again. Some of the currency enable you to unlock classes, class skills, and abilities. There is a cap on credits, and a few other things as well.

There's literally no gold spammers at all. A f2p game, no gold spammer, I can't believe such game exists lol. Gold spammers are still the problem even in p2p games like WoW or FFXIV. You can't trade nor send mails here in Skyforge, so there's no room for RMT. Goodbye gold spammers, may you find peace in many other games.

Marvel Heroes, a game I currently play, have no issue I know of with gold spammers. I like the system they have in place with that game.

I've seen a few spamming the region chat.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think Im halfway to unlocking Necro. This game is actually pretty addicting.

It's like PSO mixed the promise of what Destiny was supposed to be but in 3rd person.

Cant get it working with my DS4

And since PSO2 isnt region locked anymore. Im gonna put this on hold

I don't believe controller support is fully in the game as of yet, what little there is might not be for PS4 controllers. I believe they're working on full controller support though.

Yeah, the game has no business looking as good as it does. It's not a technical tour de force, but the designs are amazing!

Other than the female armors.

Those are pretty bad.

It goes like this:

This is amusing to me because I am playing support. Thought it would be healing. I didn't mind when I realised it wasn't. So here are my experiences so far.
1. Buff tank, shield tank or cryo. They die anyway and I solo boss.
2. Just dps right off the bat, I hold aggro 90% of the time in any group comp and generally end up soloing the boss cause people just die....
3. Tank has higher prestige than everyone else in the group and holds aggro, I shield him and dps most of the time.

On top of this, our buff ability seems entirely useless, I add more to the fight using my skills to dps.
I will be trying my 1st 5 man tonight as opposed to the squad missions, see if it runs more like a traditional dungeon.

Cracklox

I haven't tried Marvel Heroes, it's a moba isn't it?

What are they selling?
Leveling service, I guess?

Ahhh my other gaming mistress. Its an ARPG with MMO trappings. Studio is headed by David Brevik the man responsible for the 1st 2 Diablo games, and arguably the entire ARPG genre. Great game, but it has issues, the largest at the moment probably being the balance between the now 49 (!) classes (heroes).

And as mentioned their f2p model is pretty spot on. The Marvel license is obviously a pretty big draw and everyone wants to play their favorite hero. They can all be earned by playing, but it will take some time, so hey why not pay 10 bucks and be able to use them now. Also costumes are probably their biggest source of revenue. They're probably the only thing you won't find in game (well apparently they do drop, but I've not seen 1 in 2000 hours) and purely cosmetic. Theres a tonne of them and most characters have at least 2 other looks. Popular heroes like Iron Man and Spiderman have a bunch more. Store also sells things like XP boosters etc for those that like them, but not really my thing. Their main revenue would come from advanced pack sales and costumes I'm pretty sure.

I've put some decent coin, into that game, but relating that to Skyforge I'm not sure at the moment if there's too much that appeals for real money. At this stage they are totally against selling access to classes, which I guess is probably a good thing. As I mentioned earlier, sure premiums nice but with the cap you only hit that quicker so.....

Edit - cap reset has happened early again! Everybody gogogogo!

Vex_

Banned
This is amusing to me because I am playing support. Thought it would be healing. I didn't mind when I realised it wasn't. So here are my experiences so far.
1. Buff tank, shield tank or cryo. They die anyway and I solo boss.
2. Just dps right off the bat, I hold aggro 90% of the time in any group comp and generally end up soloing the boss cause people just die....
3. Tank has higher prestige than everyone else in the group and holds aggro, I shield him and dps most of the time.

On top of this, our buff ability seems entirely useless, I add more to the fight using my skills to dps.
I will be trying my 1st 5 man tonight as opposed to the squad missions, see if it runs more like a traditional dungeon.

A few questions:

1. How are your partners dying if you are shielding them? That shouldn't be happening?

2. You say you're holding 90% of aggro. Why isn't the paladin doing that? He has talents for that. I have talents for that.

3. You SHOULD be out damaging the paladin. Like I have stated in my post, binders are going to have higher damage. The catch is that it is also their job to keep the team alive. My guess is that the devs did this on purpose to balance out the fact you have two jobs. So you cant just focus on the boss. It works out.

You need to come party with some gaffers if your around the same prestige. I just had a lightbinder on my team earlier today and it pretty much went how I described it. I held dat aggro.

Tldr;If you are dpsing more than anyone, something isn't right. In my experience, it seems binders are incredibly strong out of the starting classes. That damage comes at a price. Your teammates will suffer if you dps too hard.

A few questions:

1. How are your partners dying if you are shielding them? That shouldn't be happening?

2. You say you're holding 90% of aggro. Why isn't the paladin doing that? He has talents for that. I have talents for that.

3. You SHOULD be out damaging the paladin. Like I have stated in my post, binders are going to have higher damage. The catch is that it is also their job to keep the team alive. My guess is that the devs did this on purpose to balance out the fact you have two jobs. So you cant just focus on the boss. It works out.

For all those points I've had alot of bad people that stand in abilities and die. Also i only just hit 3000 prestige last night so I'm likely quite far behind the rest of GAF.?

Cracklox

A few questions:

You need to come party with some gaffers if your around the same prestige. I just had a lightbinder on my team earlier today and it pretty much went how I described it. I held dat aggro.

Tldr;If you are dpsing more than anyone, something isn't right. In my experience, it seems binders are incredibly strong out of the starting classes. That damage comes at a price. Your teammates will suffer if you dps too hard.

To be fair, I don't think the Paladin gets his taunt till a bit of a ways into the tree, so if its early game its understandable. Heck, early on my Cryo, seemed to pick up the aggro for 90% of the fight most times. Slide for the win! That 2nd boss in Port Naori especially seems to love me.

Its better now a days with people having access to a wider range of classes and skills, but if I go into a dungeon and its 3 dps classes, I get nervous. My archer doesnt handle aggro very well at the moment

I see.
I still haven't touched RotS yet so I think I'll pass for now.

Does all the gear look the same?

Yes and no.
There are no armors in this game, there are only costumes. Each class has its own costume, but you can also use other classes' specific costumes if you want (need to be unlocked first). Other than that, there are many other costumes which can be obtained by doing quests/missions/others. As for weapon, there are several models for them.

Vex_

Banned
For all those points I've had alot of bad people that stand in abilities and die. Also i only just hit 3000 prestige last night so I'm likely quite far behind the rest of GAF.?

No you're not. You are about lined up with our mid tier bracket of players lol. That includes me. Lol!

I think commander shamwow is highest among us, no?

Edit: later today I will be glued to skyforge pretty much all day since I am off! I will probably grind till 4k easy.

Cracklox

No you're not. You are about lined up with our mid tier bracket of players lol. That includes me. Lol!

I think commander shamwow is highest among us, no?

Edit: later today I will be glued to skyforge pretty much all day since I am off! I will probably grind till 4k easy.

Thank God (soon, Me)

The slaves have been out of control, slacking off and fiddling while Rome is burning. The other commanders are no where to be seen and there's stuff to build.

And I guess I am. Just at 7k, and can now make proper progress again. Yay

Vex_

Banned
Thank God (soon, Me)

The slaves have been out of control, slacking off and fiddling while Rome is burning. The other commanders are no where to be seen and there's stuff to build.

And I guess I am. Just at 7k, and can now make proper progress again. Yay

Get those slaves adepts in line, commander! Punish them when they slack >:0!!

But yea, good to see the cap raised a bit early. When I get on today, I'm gonna play till my eyes bleed lol!

Cracklox

Get those slaves adepts in line, commander! Punish them when they slack >:0!!

But yea, good to see the cap raised a bit early. When I get on today, I'm gonna play till my eyes bleed lol!

But, but I have a cap to hit. No time to manage slaves

Something interesting I just noticed. The last few days I've had some pretty long waits for games. Now reset has occured, the last 3 dungeons I've done have been an instant game. Looks like there might be quite a few capped players who come back after reset

Deadly

I removed the patron to one of my provinces and assigned a new one but the new one isn't giving me the bonus. How does this work?

Top Bottom