• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyforge |OT| Thou shall not workship false prophets

Ploid 3.0

Just found this gais:

Maxed class costumes O.O. So dope!

Of course, Kinetic looks so simple and boring :( (assuming Kinetic is the orange mechanic costume)

Heads up to anyone playing this game; folks on Reddit have discovered something kinda shady about Skyforge's Launcher, it's actually a Peer-to-peer client that starts up with Windows and seeds the game automatically. Folks with a bandwidth cap should disable this option via the launcher's settings.

Details here; https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3ds68c/newly_released_mmo_skyforges_launcher_is_a_p2p/

This is so not cool. I saw this on the reddit forums this morning and thought about how much I've unknowingly uploaded because I kept this thing running for so long this weekend.

Cracklox

I don't want combat related grinds. I just want to relax and cut some wood with a few other players for an evening or something.

Alas there's not too much in the way of crafting. The combat system takes center stage and everything skill development-wise is built around improving that.

Its ARPGish in that regard. Same content, sometimes with a twist, always with bigger health bars and always chasing that better loot or gear upgrade.

Combat is freaking good though

Tenebrous

Lol. This isn't your game.

It is, just not right now, haha. I'm big into PvP, and MMO wise, no game seems to do it right at the moment. What I've seen of Skyforge PvP looks pretty awesome, and the spells are just beautiful.

Hell, the whole game is beautiful. Is it better looking than Guild Wars 2 in action?

if I pick the class costume does it change based on the class I am or the class I was when I put on the costume?

I am conflicted between the class set and the rocker suit that makes my character look like someone straight out of wicked + divine (a comic I love dearly)

Cracklox

if I pick the class costume does it change based on the class I am or the class I was when I put on the costume?

I am conflicted between the class set and the rocker suit that makes my character look like someone straight out of wicked + divine (a comic I love dearly)

Not to worry. You can change into any costume you have unlocked at any time. The ones in the editor are all available once you're in

It is, just not right now, haha. I'm big into PvP, and MMO wise, no game seems to do it right at the moment. What I've seen of Skyforge PvP looks pretty awesome, and the spells are just beautiful.

Hell, the whole game is beautiful. Is it better looking than Guild Wars 2 in action?

I'd say it does. The whole fantasy sci/fi aesthetic is very cool. That said, the open world of GW2 looked pretty great and I loved how vast it felt, even if there was some trickery involved.

In combat its not even close. This looks pretty spectacular at times, while GW2, although still pretty good, was pretty by-the-numbers fantasy stuff.

Vex_

Banned
I don't want combat related grinds. I just want to relax and cut some wood with a few other players for an evening or something.

There are non combat related grinds too if you please.

You start to acquire slaves followers whom you can then send out on missions to acquire supplies, help others -- or acquire even more followers.

You can train your slaves level up your adepts and send them on even higher missions. It feels like one of those farming games I can't quite remember the name of right now.

It's pretty cool because you can see your slaves potential recruits in game standing around your statue of you in awe of it.

Clearos

I had limited time in PvP but I did in enjoy it. Once I get my slayer I think free for all is going to be real enjoyable.

Cracklox

There are non combat related grinds too if you please.

You start to acquire slaves followers whom you can then send out on missions to acquire supplies, help others -- or acquire even more followers.

You can train your slaves level up your adepts and send them on even higher missions. It feels like one of those farming games I can't quite remember the name of right now.

It's pretty cool because you can see your slaves potential recruits in game standing around your statue of you in awe of it.

Also, soon to be coming as a mobile app near you. Whats better then being a slave maste - uhh Immortal ruler while on the road

Ooh, I love that slaverymentoring thing. Can't wait to buy train one and made them do things.

Anyway, apparently there's a currency converting thing in the game. Is it similar to GW2? Can I spend it on the cash shop?

Heads up to anyone playing this game; folks on Reddit have discovered something kinda shady about Skyforge's Launcher, it's actually a Peer-to-peer client that starts up with Windows and seeds the game automatically. Folks with a bandwidth cap should disable this option via the launcher's settings.

Details here; https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3ds68c/newly_released_mmo_skyforges_launcher_is_a_p2p/

Well this is lame. I just now disabled it. It shouldn't default to having your system upload game files to other people by default to save them bandwidth.

Hope more people notice this.

bndRsHG.png

Well this is lame. I just now disabled it. It shouldn't default to having your system upload game files to other people by default to save them bandwidth.

Hope more people notice this.

bndRsHG.png

Only just realized this was on since I been playing, turned it off now though.

Retro

Only just realized this was on since I been playing, turned it off now though.

Yeah, I've never seen an MMO do something like this before and I don't think too many people know about it. Maybe the OP should put it in the first post so people can see it and to turn that crap off?

soloscout

Neo Member
Combat and boss mechanics are impressive, this game has been a pleasant surprise thus far. Thinking that I'll stick with it.

Premium should bring more to the table however, I don't really feel the urge to give them my money for premium alone. I would certainly pay for a box if they charged that way though, the game is a lot of fun on its own.

Vex_

Banned
Combat and boss mechanics are impressive, this game has been a pleasant surprise thus far. Thinking that I'll stick with it.

Premium should bring more to the table however, I don't really feel the urge to give them my money for premium alone. I would certainly pay for a box if they charged that way though, the game is a lot of fun on its own.

Yea. I'm really enjoying it right now.

There seems to be a lot of mechanics that slowly unlock as you level u-- I mean prestige. Sorry, still getting used to no leveling up.

But yea:

Atlas
Upper atlas (ascension)
Divine atlas
Slave training adept recruiting
Pantheon building (join our guild!!!)
Costume unlocking
Supply runs
Etc etc...

It always feels like you are progressing or obtaining something. That's what I like about it.

Cracklox

There's room in our Pantheon if you need.

Agreed on the premium thing. I had early access which gave me a week of premium. It lets you acquire sparks that much more quickly, but then with a cap in play, it just means you hit it quicker. So not exactly sure what they're trying to sell at the moment. Not sure i'll actually pay for it unless they make it little more attractive. And so far theres not much else in the shop that is begging for me to part with real money either

On an unrelated note, have just done a story mission at 6.5k that gives a free respec on both appearance and name. Tempted to drop Sham Wow, but nah

edit - lol. All the npcs are commenting how different I look. I didn't change a thing.

Ploid 3.0

And now I'm mountless. Ran out of my temporary mounts farming those purple flowers in Lanber Forest. The things I do when you're at cap, have a gimped class you just unlocked, and want to do something other than play the smart phone game of manage people and send them to do stuff for a while.

To rent another 1hr of mount time I have to pay about 250k, and to keep it I have to do this 10x... Yeah I hope they don't make anymore huge maps I think.

Vex_

Banned
There's room in our Pantheon if you need.

Agreed on the premium thing. I had early access which gave me a week of premium. It lets you acquire sparks that much more quickly, but then with a cap in play, it just means you hit it quicker. So not exactly sure what they're trying to sell at the moment. Not sure i'll actually pay for it unless they make it little more attractive. And so far theres not much else in the shop that is begging for me to part with real money either

On an unrelated note, have just done a story mission at 6.5k that gives a free respec on both appearance and name. Tempted to drop Sham Wow, but nah

edit - lol. All the npcs are commenting how different I look. I didn't change a thing.

Wait wut. Wow. Here I was stressing out because I wanted to change my hair o3o

Cracklox

Wait wut. Wow. Here I was stressing out because I wanted to change my hair o3o

I THINK you can do it at any time, it just costs. Whatsherface in the research center can do it. Name changes, I believe, are particularly costly. So yeah at least the game gives you a freebie, you just have to put a little time in to get there.

Of course, I spent way too long in the editor to begin with and am quite happy with how I look. Not re-doing all that work

Edit - Ploid missions for Holy texts are a good thing. No cap on those and you always need some. Oh and about those large areas.......

DrBo42

Maybe I'm missing something. What are the sparks of transformation for? Description says it unlocks classes but isn't that using the color coded sparks in the upper atlas?

Hellers

And now I'm mountless. Ran out of my temporary mounts farming those purple flowers in Lanber Forest. The things I do when you're at cap, have a gimped class you just unlocked, and want to do something other than play the smart phone game of manage people and send them to do stuff for a while.

To rent another 1hr of mount time I have to pay about 250k, and to keep it I have to do this 10x... Yeah I hope they don't make anymore huge maps I think.

If you buy the smallest amount of pay currency you get a free first time buyer gift which is a perm mount. Its the 60% rhino thing.

Hellers

I was going to work my way over to Kinetic class which from the training seemed visually interesting but I got sidetracked. I've decided the first thing I'm going to do is max out the three starting classes. I've got Lightbinder and Paladin well under progression and Cryomage on the way. Paladin is quite fun and useful once you start getting stuff unlocked. Surprising that you don't get the threat talent for a while though. Maybe that explains why the guy in chat was complaining about all the newb paladins being "scrubs".

How often do you get to recruit new adepts?

Cracklox

Maybe I'm missing something. What are the sparks of transformation for? Description says it unlocks classes but isn't that using the color coded sparks in the upper atlas?

Yeah nodes on the way will require your colored sparks, but whence you get to the class node, it uses the transformation sparks. You should have acquired plenty of those on the way so unlocking shouldn't be a problem.

I was going to work my way over to Kinetic class which from the training seemed visually interesting but I got sidetracked. I've decided the first thing I'm going to do is max out the three starting classes. I've got Lightbinder and Paladin well under progression and Cryomage on the way. Paladin is quite fun and useful once you start getting stuff unlocked. Surprising that you don't get the threat talent for a while though. Maybe that explains why the guy in chat was complaining about all the newb paladins being "scrubs".

How often do you get to recruit new adepts?

Available adepts to recruit are updated daily, and can be found milling around your statue. Not sure what time of the day they reset though. As for maximum number, you will have access to increase that with every 2nd level of your order

Ploid 3.0

While I was mountless I did the kill 200 enemies on Paladin thing, and I think I'm hooked on Paladin even at it's no points spent in it's tree state. With my gear it was wiping the zone that my best character goes to (open zone). The left click to right click combo is a killer.

Cracklox

Current Skygaf status:

Now have spots for 25 with 16 filled. Next upgrade cost is is 90k and we have 50 in the bank. I've got about 2k to my name so I can't really push that along :(

Vex_

Banned
Current Skygaf status:

Now have spots for 25 with 16 filled. Next upgrade cost is is 90k and we have 50 in the bank. I've got about 2k to my name so I can't really push that along :(

Yah I'm still broke from the last bank donation :(

(And turning my credits into argents :p)

Deadly

How do we build a chapel again? Do I have to turn the guy I appointed to the region into a missionary and then I get to choose one?

Cracklox

Yah I'm still broke from the last bank donation :(

(And turning my credits into argents :p)

I think the Pantheon is going to be the biggest credit sink for me. The only other thing I've really spent money on is telling those bloody slaves or whatever they are to hurry up. They're remarkably receptive to bribery.

Haven't done much with my argents. Still have about 9700 from the founders pack. Not really sure what to spend them on to be honest

Reese-015

In combat its not even close. This looks pretty spectacular at times, while GW2, although still pretty good, was pretty by-the-numbers fantasy stuff.

Whut? I'd say GW2 is one of the most unique looking MMO's, hell even unique looking games I've ever played.

Oh, apparently I had a Premium account when I made the account. I didn't even know now that's over. This is gonna be even slower, man.

I guess I could get it with in game money eventually.

Cracklox

Whut? I'd say GW2 is one of the most unique looking MMO's, hell even unique looking games I've ever played.

Aye, I concur somewhat. Like I said I loved the open world. I'd go so far to say it might be the best realized fantasy setting out there in terms of scope and how it really felt like a living world.

I also enjoyed the combat enough but my comment was more in regards to it being tied to the standard fantasy RPG tropes of warriors, bow guys and magic users (I know they put a few spins on those classes too, which is always nice) fighting the standard array of dragons, centaurs,swamp creatures and the like. I guess there's only SO much you can do when you're working with material thats been retreaded a thousand times over.

While Skyforge isn't completely unique in merging scifi and fantasy (I realise GW2 does as well, but hardly to the same extent), it sure does feel fresh. I knew nothing of the game 3 weeks ago. After checking out approx 5 minutes of video and seeing kinetics, gunners and cryos I was sold, literally I guess, because I bought a founders pack straight away to get into their last closed beta. Had simliar feels watching that Horizon e3 trailer. Mmmmmm. Horizon..........

Anyway, after typing all that and thinking about it some, this is probably more sci-fi (futuristic cities etc) with some fantasy thrown in (warriors, magic yada yada yada). Flip that for GW2 and its probably pretty close. Which then just boils down to which aesthetic you prefer more I guess. I'm just a sucker for companies throwing all the 'cool' shit into 1 IP. Was a fan of Shadowrun in the 90s for the same reason

But fuck it, didn't mean to ruffle feathers. There's some GW2 knockers out there, but i'm def not one of them. I enjoyed my time with it.

Clearos

I have a good credit score as a god, I'll throw some money the pantheon's way.

I guess I should spend my sparks of evolution. When I first started playing I thought they might be needed much later on and was not using any so I have a good stock pile saved up.

Cracklox

I have a good credit score as a god, I'll throw some money the pantheon's way.

I guess I should spend my sparks of evolution. When I first started playing I thought they might be needed much later on and was not using any so I have a good stock pile saved up.

Think about those before spending willy nilly. They can be very handy in getting a new unlocked class up to scratch with a few skills and talents. I saved some for my archer, and thank God because I'd be screwed without a few that I was able to get with them. Still, up to you. There's no wrong way

And yeah funds would be good. I'm out of the red a bit and should be able to put some in later, but holy crap at the cost of the next tier of buildings......

Reese-015

But fuck it, didn't mean to ruffle feathers. There's some GW2 knockers out there, but i'm def not one of them. I enjoyed my time with it.

Cool, appreciate your response.

So how's Skyforge in terms of exploration and sense of place in the world? I'd rank WoW as #1 in terms of making you feel like you're in a vast and 'real' world and I feel GW2 does a good job at that too although the high density (few massive wide open areas that don't necessarily serve a specific purpose) and broken up maps with portals diminishes it a bit.

From what I see, Skyforge is more of a pick-your-dungeon style thing rather than giving you a big world map you can travel through relatively seamlessly?

Will I eventually unlock the other classes through quest line progression or in the skill tree?
I'm enjoying lightbringer, but alchemist looks insane

And if they are progression are they all at the same time or does necro unlock separate from slayer etc

Will I eventually unlock the other classes through quest line progression or in the skill tree?
I'm enjoying lightbringer, but alchemist looks insane

And if they are progression are they all at the same time or does necro unlock separate from slayer etc

If you have access to the ability to test classes, you have access to the upper Atlas. Look at your skill path and click on the tab called "Ascension Atlas" you can see what path you need to go to get the class you want.

boofahead

Banned
Thinking of downloading this tonight.

Is there any reason to buy the starter pack or the warden's pack?

Would it help a gaf guild if I did that would like to invite me? :p

Cracklox

Cool, appreciate your response.

So how's Skyforge in terms of exploration and sense of place in the world? I'd rank WoW as #1 in terms of making you feel like you're in a vast and 'real' world and I feel GW2 does a good job at that too although the high density (few massive wide open areas that don't necessarily serve a specific purpose) and broken up maps with portals diminishes it a bit.

From what I see, Skyforge is more of a pick-your-dungeon style thing rather than giving you a big world map you can travel through relatively seamlessly?

Yeah pretty much that. Lots of instanced dungeon running, that get tougher as you go. Though you're always unlocking new ones. My two fave so far arent available to about 4000 and 6000 prestige (no levels, I'm at about 6800 now and have around 100 hours clocked to give you an idea - become at God a 30k). It seems you gain new ones often enough so far, and I hope it stays that way to 30k and beyond.

There's 'open' world areas as well which become available at various levels of prestige. These actually feel pretty similiar to GW2 in that quests are activated by going into certain areas. Though they pretty much boil down to the standard kill X amount of things, pick 43 whats'its and the like. They're probably not the strong point of the game, but each one has been better then the last so far, after the first 5 or 6. That might have to do with the fact they get more challenging forcing you to think in battle a little more though.

They're also fairly small, say roughly the size of 1 zone in GW2 give or take

^^ Hmm. Probably not the starter pack. The warden pack may be worth it as it gives you immediate access to Alchemist which would otherwise take 3 weeks or so of playing to unlock. Its a sweet class. You also get knight. Not really for me but from what I hear the best tank class in the game. And yeah there's a Guild. If you D/L, let us know and add your details in the doc in the second post. Currently recruiting, I guess they say

Clearos

Thinking of downloading this tonight.

Is there any reason to buy the starter pack or the warden's pack?

Would it help a gaf guild if I did that would like to invite me? :p

I was a founder and also ended up getting the starter pack. The extra inventory is very nice and the other bonuses that come with it.

Add your character name to the roster on the first page of this thread and you'll get an invite today. Just make sure to progress your character for at least 30 minutes, you need to have some progression before they allow you to join a guild.

^^^^^^If you like tanking the Knight is a great choice and really fun class.....now I am kind of regretting not pulling the trigger on the CE.

I honestly wasn't impressed with the Knight from what I played in the training room. Not as fun as the Paly, IMO. I think I'm gonna scoop up Kinetic, then pick up the Divine Form while I solidify that.

Top Bottom