• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

WatTsu

Cynder is currently in stock at Gamestop. $9.99 is a sadly over the proper MSRP, but if it's something you want, go grab it now:

http://www.gamestop.com/toys/skylanders-cynder-character/98993

There's a bunch of others in stock too, but with Cynder being the rarest right now, I'm just pointing that one out.

Check your local stores too; with shipping and tax it comes out to around $15 for a single Skylander and that's asking a lot.

I dropped by mine and got lucky enough to find a Whirlwind, so I just need a Life type. Hoping to see Stealth Elf on her own somewhere.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, a friend of mine went to Toy Fair and came through for me.

P2160435.jpg

Was able to get one of these beauts. As such, I am adding this to my collection post, a few pages back.

Well, a friend of mine went to Toy Fair and came through for me.

P2160435.jpg

Was able to get one of these beauts. As such, I am adding this to my collection post, a few pages back.
Was there ever any doubt from anyone here that you'd somehow snag one of these? Congrats! Today is only a half-day at schools, so my daughter and I are probably going to go hunting for Cynder when she comes home at noon. Just ordered the Skylanders strategy guide from Chapters. She'll like it just to have a book with lots of cool pictures in it.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Was there ever any doubt from anyone here that you'd somehow snag one of these? Congrats! Today is only a half-day at schools, so my daughter and I are probably going to go hunting for Cynder when she comes home at noon. Just ordered the Skylanders strategy guide from Chapters. She'll like it just to have a book with lots of cool pictures in it.

I have a Cynder if ya need one, Peteza. 8 bucks for the figure, 6 dollars shipping. I found one yesterday, as I've been buying up stock before our resident scalper does.

The resident scalper spent 800 dollars at my local TRU yesterday, buying all 30+ Legendary 3-Packs they had. I goofed and didn't go before work like I normally do. That won't happen next week. Next week, I will buy them all, not only to spite the scalper, but to help others.

EDIT: Fernoca, you should update the first post with some new info.

As it stands now, EVERYTHING is supposed to release this spring, instead of being dragged out through the summer. They could all arrive as early as mid to late March. Dragon's Peak and Legendary Trigger Happy are for sure coming in March. The translucent-blue Bash will be available at Toys R Us on Sunday, April 8th. Just might want to change all unreleased figures' release dates to spring 2012. The only ones that have a tentative date, is Dragon's Peak, L-Trigger Happy, and the translucent-blue Bash, which is exclusive to Toys R Us. Dragon's Peak is exclusive to Toys R Us for the first 30 days, and L-Trigg is exclusive there... forever.

Anyone in the UK got any suggestions for finding these critters. So far I'm trying to reserve via Argos (but you can't specify character until you get to the store) and physically checking Tesco and Toys R Us. My son is desperate for a Life and Air character, so we're keeping our eye out for Stump Smash, Sonic Boom or Stealth Elf. Ideally we want the triple pack with the latter two in it, but I'm not even sure they're making any more of those now.

Also, anyone have any clue about when Wave 3 hits the UK?

Keep checking play.com

They currently have Stealth Elf instock for £7.49. They keep getting random stock of figures, I've ordered 3 on there so far.

I have a Cynder if ya need one, Peteza. 8 bucks for the figure, 6 dollars shipping. I found one yesterday, as I've been buying up stock before our resident scalper does.

The resident scalper spent 800 dollars at my local TRU yesterday, buying all 30+ Legendary 3-Packs they had. I goofed and didn't go before work like I normally do. That won't happen next week. Next week, I will buy them all, not only to spite the scalper, but to help others.

As it stands now, EVERYTHING is supposed to release this spring, instead of being dragged out through the summer. They could all arrive as early as mid to late March. Dragon's Peak and Legendary Trigger Happy are for sure coming in March. The translucent-blue Bash will be available at Toys R Us on Sunday, April 8th. Just might want to change all unreleased figures' release dates to spring 2012. The only ones that have a tentative date, is Dragon's Peak, L-Trigger Happy, and the translucent-blue Bash, which is exclusive to Toys R Us. Dragon's Peak is exclusive to Toys R Us for the first 30 days, and L-Trigg is exclusive there... forever.
Thanks so much for the offer, GM, but I'm going to politely decline. I appreciate it though. This is going to sound strange, but I think that you and others here will understand that part of the fun is the hunt itself. I'm not in any hurry to get Cynder, primarily because we've got all the other characters and they keep us busy with the game. I'll eventually get her, it's just a matter of patience. Plus, I believe that shipping will be more because I'm in Canada, not to mention possibly getting nabbed with customs and duty fees. And not to mention the dirty looks from my wife for all of the money that I've spent lately (all the Skylanders stuff, LEGO Millennium Falcon set and LEGO TIE Fighter set)! Actually, I bought the LEGO TIE Fighter set yesterday and she looked at the box and just said "Cool" before going off to make dinner. I completely expected another "Oh no, not another expensive collectible to clutter up the house!" chastising comment from her! Maybe she's finally accepted my habit. Either that, or there's an alien pod husk underneath our bed...

Thanks again for the generous offer, but I would feel better if you offered it to somebody who wants it more badly than I do and who may have difficulty getting it.

fernoca

Nope, won't edit anything since I hate you and I'm so jealous of you!!!!!!!!

:p

Done! (added your post as a note to the list of figures)

Though, hit character-limit again (24,009, limit is 24,000); so eliminated 2 of the 'coloring pages' that the links weren't working anyway.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Nope, won't edit anything since I hate you and I'm so jealous of you!!!!!!!!

Done! (added your post as a note to the list of figures)

Though, hit character-limit again (24,009, limit is 24,000); so eliminated 2 of the 'coloring pages' that the links weren't working anyway.

FINE! YOU SLEEP ON THE COUCH TONIGHT! No happy fun time for joo.

Just kidding.

I do have new info. Aparently Legendary Trigger Happy is out. Some person made a post on another forum, stating that some old grandpa had 4 in his hand, at a Toys R Us in PA (Pennsylvania)?

That, and some goofball on Ebay was selling 6 of them -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-...909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35b9abdd1d

Geez, what a weird day! My daughter and I had given up on hunting for Cynder and we were just hanging out at home. I was checking another forum late afternoon and somebody mentioned that a Toys'R'Us in the Toronto area had just received a shipment with a bunch of Cynders and Legendary Trigger Happys. So I thought, what the heck, I'll phone my Toys'R'Us and see if they got a similar shipment. The guy in the electronics section said that they just got in a large shipment, but he hadn't opened it yet, so he didn't know which characters they had.

So we hurried over there as fast as we could and there were only a few figures on the pegs on the wall. Just a couple of older characters that we already had and << gasp >> Legendary Trigger Happy!!! Holy crap! I wasn't expecting to see him until March, so I quickly grabbed him and I lamented to my daughter at how it was too bad that they didn't have Cynder as well. But as I was standing at the counter waiting to pay, I noticed a cart with some boxes on it that were labelled "Skylanders Figures" that were unopened. I asked the electronics guy if he knew which characters were in the boxes and he immediately opened them up for me and... there was Cynder!!! Wow, what a great score! My daughter was so happy to get her because she's Spyro's girlfriend. As soon as we got home, she played with her new Cynder but she wouldn't let me play with any character other than one of the Spyros!

Zing

Banned
I stopped at my Toys R Us. They had approximately one billion Legendary Trigger Happy. Oh, and a handful of the others. How useless. I was only in the store for about 10 minutes and about eight or so families came in and bought several figures. No one bought that Trigger Happy garbage. The people were wanting life and air figures, not a rehash of a figure included with the game itself.

Heads up: I was on Toy`r`Us from Time Square today. Lots of Legendary 3-packs (US$ 28), and some other 3 packs at US$ 24. Single figures like Hex, Zapp, DoubleBall, etc were sold at US$ 12 (!) each.

I did not see any Legendary Trigger Happy, I want one of those!

Yuripaw

Banned
Not sure if this has been discussed, but do you guys take your Skylanders out of their packaging, or do you leave em in there? You can still play with them in the game either way, and it's nice having sealed figures, but I think they would just look cool outside of the packaging too. Not sure if I should open any of mine.

Edit: ya know what's sad, Stealth Elf is my favorite Skylander, and has been my Avatar for a while and I still can't find her. :(

WatTsu

Not sure if this has been discussed, but do you guys take your Skylanders out of their packaging, or do you leave em in there? You can still play with them in the game either way, and it's nice having sealed figures, but I think they would just look cool outside of the packaging too. Not sure if I should open any of mine.

Edit: ya know what's sad, Stealth Elf is my favorite Skylander, and has been my Avatar for a while and I still can't find her. :(

I grappled with this for a while, but decided just to take them out. They don't resell for much more than retail these days, and once Activision resolves the supply issue the secondary market will probably fall out, so I don't see the toys as an investment or anything. Besides, I like having all my dudes together on the portal next to my Xbox, and the boxes won't fit on that shelf.

izakq

Just curious. Has anyone encountered problems with their portal? Ours for the Wii just kept blinking, and I checked the batteries with a voltmeter, and they were fully charged. I filed a repair order with Activision, and we had to send our portal back to them and they are going to replace it.

kagete

The Toys R Us near us had all starter packs at $30 off. I thought it was a great deal and bought the 3DS one. Is this true for all TRU or was it just the store I visited (Cumberland in GA)?

Zing

Banned
Re: batteries. I've only been through three charges of my eneloops so far after going through the game almost three times.

Yuripaw

Banned
Ugh, I am getting so frustrated with all these listings online. I'm trying to find another figure for Stealth Elf. As you can see by my avatar, I've always liked that character. I've been trying to find just a stand alone, single packaged Stealth Elf figure. My dumbass had one back when Skylanders first came out, but when my Xbox 360 broke down, I sold all my skylander figures, and the game here on GAF for a friggin bargin >_< (It was before it boomed into being as popular as it is now) I recently got the game again on PS3, and while I understand every Skylander is becoming hard to find, I just want another sealed single packaged Stealth Elf :(

Stupid ebay and amazon has so many listings labels "new" but it's some jackass counting open 3DS bundle versions as new. That is not friggin new if it's open. Touched by human hands = not new.

There isn't anyone on here who may have a Stealth Elf they're willing to sell, is there?

Keep checking play.com

They currently have Stealth Elf instock for £7.49. They keep getting random stock of figures, I've ordered 3 on there so far.

Scored one of those Stealth Elfs from Play.com. Now need an Air Elemental and we can access all areas of the game.

Anyone know the release schedule for the UK? I've not seen a single Cynder, Empire of Ice or Whirlwind/Double Trouble/Drill Sergeant pack at retail anywhere.

I have managed to get Drobot, Bash and Eruptor from play.com. Picked up Sonic Bom at tescos and last night I ordered Hex and Zap from Asda.com for £12.60.

I want to get 2 of each element so me and the GF can battle each other :D Trouble is, I have spent a fortune on Vita stuff so might have to hold back for a bit lol

I have managed to get Drobot, Bash and Eruptor from play.com. Picked up Sonic Bom at tescos and last night I ordered Hex and Zap from Asda.com for £12.60.

I want to get 2 of each element so me and the GF can battle each other :D Trouble is, I have spent a fortune on Vita stuff so might have to hold back for a bit lol

Argos near me had 14 triple packs last night. Split between the Eruptor one and the Hex one. Unfortunately I have all those characters. I gave up on checking ASDA as they never seemed to have any, will need to get back on that.

My Argos is showing that triple pack in stock now too, shame I already have two of them. I would like a single pack Stump Smash from them but it seems to be a random choice and I'm not going through the hassle of getting them to check as I have been there before! Took them half hour to try and find something >_<

My Argos is showing that triple pack in stock now too, shame I already have two of them. I would like a single pack Stump Smash from them but it seems to be a random choice and I'm not going through the hassle of getting them to check as I have been there before! Took them half hour to try and find something >_<

The triple packs work the same way, it's a pain, but if you have the time it can be worth it. My Argos are really fast bringing stuff out. 5 mins in and out usually.

Also, looks like the Skylanders cross-media assault has started:

http://www.licensing.biz/news/8624/Penguin-swoops-in-for-Skylanders-publishing-deal

What figures are you looking for btw? If I see any, I can grab em if you want. Mind you are tescos looked like it was clearing the stock out, maybe ready for new wave? They had Eruptor, Bash and Hex left. Think they had one Stealth Elf too but that's probably gone now.

I need to stop checking play.com :p

Also is Dark Spyro magic also? I wanted two magic figures, was going to order Wrecking Ball but then realised I could get the 3DS starter pack and get another Fire, Stealth Elf (would be my first of that element) and Dark Spyro.

abrack08

Been going back and forth on this game... I'm an old school Spyro fan (the first three games). I know this doesn't seem to be THAT similar, but the fact that it's a GOOD Spyro game makes me want to play it.

Is there a general feeling which version is best? I have a PS3, Wii, and 3DS. I'd like to play co-op with my girlfriend but I'm not sure she'll want to (She pretty much only wants to play Call of Duty, oddly enough).

fernoca

Been going back and forth on this game... I'm an old school Spyro fan (the first three games). I know this doesn't seem to be THAT similar, but the fact that it's a GOOD Spyro game makes me want to play it.

Is there a general feeling which version is best? I have a PS3, Wii, and 3DS. I'd like to play co-op with my girlfriend but I'm not sure she'll want to (She pretty much only wants to play Call of Duty, oddly enough).
If you want something similar to the original Spyro games, go with the 3DS version. It's a platformer, and different in every aspect to the other versions. 3DS version has no multiplayer at all.

For co-op and to get a better idea of the whole "Skylanders thing" (swap figures at any time, etc.); Wii/PS3..though will depend on if you prefer the HD visuals more than anything.

abrack08

The 3DS can't switch at any time? That's kinda disappointing.

So I guess there isn't one version that's generally agreed to be better like there are with other games. It'd be nice to have another 3DS game (only have OOT so far and I've already beaten it), but it'd also be nice to get more trophies and have the option of playing co-op.

If the 3DS is totally different and a platformer, what kind of games are the others? I just assumed this would be a platformer. Just run around and kill/collect stuff?

kagete

The 3DS allows you to "load" 2 skylanders for use while playing. You can only do this by talking to the main quest giver at the hub area. The act of loading is the only time the portal needs to be turned on.

Once you have 2 loaded, they are displayed as crystallized monsters in the bottom touch screen and pressing either one will load him ingame instantly. You can swap between the 2 when in any level. You can go to sleep, turn your DS off, never turn on the portal ever again, and these same 2 characters will still be saved for your use. They will only be replaced by talking to the loading NPC again. Best thing to do is to find out what the daily bonus elements are or plan for using the elements the next few stages will have challenges for, and just load your 2 best bets in the portal in the morning and then just use your 3ds out and about.

I haven't played much of the PS3 version since that's my girl's save but the 3DS version is almost a pure platformer with some weak enemies thrown in that take at most 3 hits to die (one melee combo). Often, the platforms are so small that one or two hits is enough to knock most enemies off them. The only difficulty is in doing the jumps and challenges and you will definitely be mashing the jump button to double jump all the time. It's great that the dash is bound to both the A button and the L bumper because you will be mashing that button down too as each stage will have a time-based final challenge that involves you speeding through the level before a set time limit. It's fun in that it encourages skill in speed runs but so far I haven't seen any set pieces in the platforming like you'd see when playing Crash bandicoot or brave fencer.

Since the difficulty is all in the dashing and double-jumping while switching out skylanders is a bit of a pain since you have to return to the hub world and talk to an NPC for at least 30 seconds which will take you probably 1-2 minutes total all in all for EACH of your 2 slots, it kinda feels like having a ton of figures isn't really worth it for the 3ds version. You need multiple elements of course but each stage tells you in the select screen what elements you'd need in advance so there's no fun in switching out. I think we have 20-25 figures at this point but you'd only really need 2-4 on hand when playing on the 3DS per day.

Double D

I was in TRU last night and it would appear that the stocking issues should be over here soon. They were literally falling off the shelves because they had so many. 50 + Cynders and Triple packs of nearly everything. And they got their shipment last Thursday.

edit: I've got the 3DS version, but haven't put but maybe an hour into it. How does the saving stuff to the figures actually work? It's pretty straight-forward on the console versions, but I can't see how it would work on the 3DS.

kagete

Some googling told me that the figure's progress is saved to your 3ds save file until you sync them again. My ps3 is with my brother so I can't really check though.

fernoca

Yep. Saving on the 3DS is done in the cartridge, and only to the figure whenever you put the figure back into the portal. So, 3DS players need to keep that in mind when taking their figures around to another game.

By the way...
78VvS.png

(thanks to chiQ for the update)

On the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and PC versions; data is saved to the toy after events like the following:
  • Gain a level
  • Collect 100 of either treasures or gold
  • Buy upgrades
  • Equip a Hat
  • Change the Champion&#8217;s name or owner
  • Champion is reset or placed on the Portal of Power for the first time
  • Receive a reward (Stat boost when completing a Challenge)

It will also auto save save after about 30 seconds. Just be careful not to rapidly switch between Skylanders if you're worried you'll lose something.
Skylanders saves game content at specific points of the game and if you are playing on a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, you will need to be signed in to a profile.

On the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and PC versions; Skylanders saves at the following points in the game:
  • Beginning of a level
  • When completing a challenge
  • When collecting an important item
  • When completing a level

On the Nintendo 3DS version, data is only sent to the figure when you're in the hub and ask to replace a Skylander-figure.
General data is saved on the game cartridge; so you need to put the figure back into the portal if you want to update its data.​
xyT60.png

sJMg7.png

This versions are more action oriented. Have you in the role of a "Portal Master" defeating enemies and collecting crystals to open up doors and move onto the next area. A few areas of platforming are thrown into the mix, along mini-games to change the pacing a little; and cutscenes to help move the storyline. This versions also offer drop-in/out co-op multiplayer into the main story/campaign, and a (2-players) battle mode that lets players pit against each other figures/characters.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)
sqKmN.png

This version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is more of an action platformer (similar to the original Spyro games) than its console counterparts. Players have to complete levels by gathering crystals, which lets them unlock more levels. Each level is littered with crystals, obtained by going towards the end of the level, or by doing a variety of tasks, such as defeating a certain amount of enemies, or finding items. Whenever the player finds a crystal, an enemy awakens and a time limit starts. They have to defeat enemies, and use rockets to ward off the chasing enemy. Unlike other versions, characters can make a jump, and a double jump. This version of the game is set in a different realm in Skylands called the Radiant Isles, and a different force of darkness is faced under the command of the Hektore.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)
d2H2D.png

• There's no multiplayer on the 3DS version.
  • On the console version while playing you can use one figure at a time; but you can swap that figure whenever you want to.
  • The 3DS version allows you to use 2 figures at the same time, and alternate/tag between characters depending on the skills you need or just your preference.
  • The "portal-accessories" (what you use to send the figurines to the game) are slightly different across platforms; so you can't plug one in one platform, unplug it and use it in another platform.
    • On the PC and 360 versions are wired (included USB cable).
    • PS3 and Wii portals are wireless through an included USB accessory (includes batteries for the portal).
    • The 3DS portal is wireless, trough the built-in IR-sensor of the 3DS (includes batteries for the portal).
    • All versions include an USB-cable to connect it to the PC-web game (Spyro's Universe)
  • You can't jump on the console/PC versions.
  • You can jump/double-jump/dash on the 3DS version (since it's a more traditional platformer)
  • Console/PC portal: You need to leave your figurine/character all the time on it while playing.
  • 3DS portal: You put the figure to transfer up to 2 characters to the game and can remove the figurine after that. Made for "on the go" so you don't need to take with you the portal and figures you're playing with.

BooJoh

I really enjoyed the 3DS version, and I think it's worth $40-$50, and if you have the means I say get both the 3DS version and a console version (doesn't matter which really.) But I'd have to say the console version is the overall better game IMO. They're really so different that it's apples to oranges to compare them, so watch a couple videos of each and decide which looks more fun to you.

chiQ

I wish I had a 3DS, so I could play this on it. I can't afford one right now, let alone justify buying one for one game :(

Yuripaw

Banned
Is it just me, or all the undead Skylanders just friggin awesome? I wish I could be one of those people who just buy 1 skylander of each element so I can still experience all the areas of the game. It's tough though with how cool all of the undead ones are. Cynder, Ghost Roaster, Chop Chop, Hex...just all so bad ass ^_^

chiQ

I just got Empire of Ice and the Stealth Elf three-pack. I now have a spare virgin-but-unpackaged Sonic Boom, if anyone wants to trade. PM me :)

What figures are you looking for btw?

I'm desperate for an Air skylander, so Sonic Boom or Whirlwind right now.

In other news...tonight I'm recording a special one off podcast with John Davison (Gamespot, formerly 1Up etc.), Andy Robertson (Wired.com) and Ian Hughes (The Cool Stuff Collective, Feeding Edge) about Skylanders. Hopefully it's going to be a pretty in depth look at all aspects of the game and it's forthcoming sequel. I've got a rough topic list outlined, but if you have anything you'd like us to cover, I'd be interested to hear from you.

Current outline: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tEhoJ4t_f08V4VOjhWFyBzqeZ8hbz_M3I0I2hgXeAB8/edit

Chuck your suggestions in this thread.

WatTsu

Well, I just completed my "one of every Skylander" goal. I won a copy of the 3DS game that included Stealth Elf and basically everything else new and unused except for Dark Spyro and Ignitor. It cost me about $21 with shipping but I figure that is totally worth it.

So all told, I estimate I spent around $70, thanks to some judicious use of Amazon credit, to get both games and a Skylander from each type. That's not too bad, right?

Zing

Banned
Yes, the 3DS version minus the figures that sell for ~$30 on their own goes for around $20 on Ebay. If it wasn't for 13% sales tax here, it would have almost been worth it to buy the 3DS version and resell each part individually. Too bad the Best Buy Volcanic Vault didn't come with the 3DS version, or it would have been a great deal (VV sold for $40+ on Ebay alone).

I was finally able to track down those Stanley tool cases GameMaster was recommending as storage for the Skylanders figures. No deals or anything so I just picked one up for $8. If it can hold 15 pieces then I think I can put my whole collection in there. Now I just have to be strong enough to not buy more figures :).

Top Bottom