• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Collection update 2-24-12.

I got L-Trigger Happy today, thanks to some lady in Canada, who shipped them to me here in the US. With that, I am posting an updated look at my collection. With that, I will be editing to remove my collection a few pages back, so not to clutter the topic with a plethora of collection posts. This is the only collection post as of now, and it's also the most recent.

Here are my Starter Packs -

P1230386.jpg

Here is the Toy Fair 2012 exclusive Cynder -

P2160435.jpg

Here are my 3 silvers (wave 2) -

P1300396.jpg

Here are my 3 golds (wave 3) -

P2010423.jpg

Here is a group shot, showing all of my SINGLE PACK gold and silver Skylanders -

P2010424.jpg

These are my "ONLY AT" Drill Sergeant and Whirlwind. They are somewhat different than the non-exclusive versions. Drill Sergeant is a bit darker red and seems to be more metallic, with a base that is a somewhat glossy-black. Whirlwind has a solid white cloud base on her exclusive version. The Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant hanging on my wall, are the non-exclusive - wave 3 - versions -

P1010387.jpg

Here are the Volcanic Vaults I have gotten over the course of the past few months -

P1230384.jpg

Here is a pic of my Skylanders shrine in full -

P2240020.jpg

Left side of my Skylanders shrine -

P2240014.jpg

Right side of my Skylanders shrine -

P1010381.jpg

This is a pic of my FIRST open set of Skylanders. My second open set, always stays in a set of 3 Stanley Sortmaster Jr. cases -

P2240015.jpg

This is a pic of both of my open sets, on top of the carrying cases I bought for them. You will even see the latest additions to the Skylanders' family, with Cynder, Slam Bam and Double Trouble.

NOTE: Despite getting L-Trigg today, I won't update this photo until I get the remaining 6 Skylanders.

P1170390.jpg

I have 3 sets of cards. One set goes on my wall, as you can see above. The other two sets, I keep in plastic bags, which I am creating a set of tournament rules using the cards. However, when shuffling them, they won't be shuffled the normal way, because I don't want to bend the cards.

P1230387.jpg

Now, here is where I think I can help people out. Something to carry these bad boys in. A friend of mine, found these at Walmart. They are by Stanley and are used to carry tools. They came as a bundle of three over the holidays, for just 15 bucks. These three cases, are enough to hold all 37 Skylanders, 8 Magical Items and the 4 Adventure Pack level toys. I will show off the top case only, so you don't see a ton of carrying case pics. Just know that each case looks the same, but with different characters -

PC170277.jpg

PC170278.jpg

These cases, like I said, come together. They can be snapped together, as you will see the flaps on the side, for easy toting -

PC170282.jpg

If you notice, on the pic I show, showing both sets of Skylanders, there are two small labels I placed on the top cases. They each say "PATH A" and "PATH B." This allows me to know which Skylander went down which path. This is to suppliment the upgrade names I placed onto labels, inside the case.

abrack08

Holy fucking balls. I've always secretly wished I could have a super nerdy video game themed room like that. I'm surprised someone is that obsessed with these already since it's still so new.

JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST. I came in here to enquire if anyone's made any weird mods with the Portal yet (like making Bart Simpson figures work as Drobots or something, like the Bombcast was joking about), and I get greeted with that. :lol

GameMaster78

Neo Member
JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST. I came in here to enquire if anyone's made any weird mods with the Portal yet (like making Bart Simpson figures work as Drobots or something, like the Bombcast was joking about), and I get greeted with that. :lol

LOL! That's an interesting idea. However, I think the only thing that happened, was to the Skylander Zap. Some have reported their Zaps as being Whirlwind, when placed on the portal.

Talk about variant, lol.

BooJoh

I finally got around to trying the web game today. It's not bad for what it is, but definitely not anywhere near as fun as the console/3DS games. It's fun to be able to customize your skyland though, and I'd like it if they implemented something similar into the hub world in Giants.

I finally managed to order Cynder and Double Trouble from GameStop, so now Legendary Trigger Happy is the only figure that's out that I need (excluding the rare variants and volcanic vault.)

Dang it, I didn't know Best Buy had that Volcanic Vault thing. I bought my console version at Target. :(

I have 3 sets of cards. One set goes on my wall, as you can see above. The other two sets, I keep in plastic bags, which I am creating a set of tournament rules using the cards. However, when shuffling them, they won't be shuffled the normal way, because I don't want to bend the cards.

Just buy some card sleeves. You can probably find some stylish ones at your closest card/hobby shop.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Heads up, peeps. Legendary Trigger Happy is out in the US.

Two of my three local TRU stores got in 40+ of them.

Check your local TRU stores with this number -

Or this UPC -

Zing

Banned
I wish they would put as much effort into getting the regular figures in stock as they do the worthless legendary figures. I would have loved to walk into TRU and see a wall of Cynder instead of the wall of Trigger Happy.

And when I say wall, I mean it. I didn't snap a photo that day, but here is a photo of the empty display:

Now picture the left 2/3 overflowing with Trigger Happy on every hook. The right column of the display had about 4 figures (Drill Sergeant and other older figures).

driph

Neo Member
Seems that they are slowly becoming available again. Hope this kills off the ebay market soon.

The TRUs here in town never have any of the adventure or triple packs, but they have been getting the individual characters in this week. Lots of Zap, Boomer, Dino-Rangs, Drill, Eruptors, and a fair amount of Hexes.

driph

Neo Member
Shitloads of Legendary Trigger Happys in the local TRU, don't buy those things off ebay.

Has anyone posted a teardown of a portal of power yet? Was thinking about picking up a spare on ebay and taking it apart to see what the guts are like, I'll put photos online if there's interest (huh, wonder if that alone would warrant a C&D from Activision).

Shitloads of Legendary Trigger Happys in the local TRU, don't buy those things off ebay.

Has anyone posted a teardown of a portal of power yet? Was thinking about picking up a spare on ebay and taking it apart to see what the guts are like, I'll put photos online if there's interest (huh, wonder if that alone would warrant a C&D from Activision).

I'd definitely be interested in that, but be careful what you post. Remember that guy who posted details of how to "hack" it was forced to take down his stuff.

Well that's Christmas sorted

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/skylanders-licensing-business-takes-off/092140

Would-be licensees are lining up to get a piece of Skylanders, says Activision.

150 licensing execs attended a special Activision event on Tuesday (February 28th) to find out how they can get the rights to make Skylanders cuddly toys, lunch boxes, clothes, back packs and a whole lot more.

It follows a deal with Penguin Children’s Books, who will release five Skylanders books this year, including a sticker annual, a novel and an e-book.

Hobbun

This is exactly what I've been seeing everywhere for about 2 months now. Not only do they not have the new figures (Cynder, Double Trouble, Legendary Trigger Happy or Empire of Ice), but I haven't seen anything.

I can't find jack.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
While I don't plan on buying it anytime soon (no money), I'm not sure what version I would pick up. I'm leaning towards the 3DS version, but what do people here think is the best? Note: I probably won't have anyone to play with. I have all the platforms, but my iOS device is an iPod Touch.

fernoca

While I don't plan on buying it anytime soon (no money), I'm not sure what version I would pick up. I'm leaning towards the 3DS version, but what do people here think is the best? Note: I probably won't have anyone to play with. I have all the platforms, but my iOS device is an iPod Touch.
Keep in mind that the 3DS version is quite different to the others.
Basically, if you want the "Skylanders experience" you should go with the console/PC versions. The 3DS game is excellent on its own, but different on everything from story (side-mission) to gameplay (platformer with tagging), to lack of modes (no coop or multiplayer of any kind); and even the use of the portal is different (you don't need the figure all the time on it). But it is an excellent 3DS game.

The iOS version it's either on limbo or just cancelled; since nothing has been announced at it. Still have the info on the main post since they haven't said anything either way aside that it was coming.

fernoca said:
Yep. Saving on the 3DS is done in the cartridge, and only to the figure whenever you put the figure back into the portal. So, 3DS players need to keep that in mind when taking their figures around to another game.

By the way...
78VvS.png

(thanks to chiQ for the update)

On the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and PC versions; data is saved to the toy after events like the following:
  • Gain a level
  • Collect 100 of either treasures or gold
  • Buy upgrades
  • Equip a Hat
  • Change the Champion’s name or owner
  • Champion is reset or placed on the Portal of Power for the first time
  • Receive a reward (Stat boost when completing a Challenge)

It will also auto save save after about 30 seconds. Just be careful not to rapidly switch between Skylanders if you're worried you'll lose something.
Skylanders saves game content at specific points of the game and if you are playing on a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, you will need to be signed in to a profile.

On the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and PC versions; Skylanders saves at the following points in the game:
  • Beginning of a level
  • When completing a challenge
  • When collecting an important item
  • When completing a level

fernoca said:
On the Nintendo 3DS version, data is only sent to the figure when you're in the hub and ask to replace a Skylander-figure.
General data is saved on the game cartridge; so you need to put the figure back into the portal if you want to update its data.​
xyT60.png

sJMg7.png

This versions are more action oriented. Have you in the role of a "Portal Master" defeating enemies and collecting crystals to open up doors and move onto the next area. A few areas of platforming are thrown into the mix, along mini-games to change the pacing a little; and cutscenes to help move the storyline. This versions also offer drop-in/out co-op multiplayer into the main story/campaign, and a (2-players) battle mode that lets players pit against each other figures/characters.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)
sqKmN.png

This version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is more of an action platformer (similar to the original Spyro games) than its console counterparts. Players have to complete levels by gathering crystals, which lets them unlock more levels. Each level is littered with crystals, obtained by going towards the end of the level, or by doing a variety of tasks, such as defeating a certain amount of enemies, or finding items. Whenever the player finds a crystal, an enemy awakens and a time limit starts. They have to defeat enemies, and use rockets to ward off the chasing enemy. Unlike other versions, characters can make a jump, and a double jump. This version of the game is set in a different realm in Skylands called the Radiant Isles, and a different force of darkness is faced under the command of the Hektore.
(Check the 'reviews' for more information)
d2H2D.png

• There's no multiplayer on the 3DS version.
  • On the console version while playing you can use one figure at a time; but you can swap that figure whenever you want to.
  • The 3DS version allows you to use 2 figures at the same time, and alternate/tag between characters depending on the skills you need or just your preference.
  • The "portal-accessories" (what you use to send the figurines to the game) are slightly different across platforms; so you can't plug one in one platform, unplug it and use it in another platform.
    • On the PC and 360 versions are wired (included USB cable).
    • PS3 and Wii portals are wireless through an included USB accessory (includes batteries for the portal).
    • The 3DS portal is wireless, trough the built-in IR-sensor of the 3DS (includes batteries for the portal).
    • All versions include an USB-cable to connect it to the PC-web game (Spyro's Universe)
  • You can't jump on the console/PC versions.
  • You can jump/double-jump/dash on the 3DS version (since it's a more traditional platformer)
  • Console/PC portal: You need to leave your figurine/character all the time on it while playing.
  • 3DS portal: You put the figure to transfer up to 2 characters to the game and can remove the figurine after that. Made for "on the go" so you don't need to take with you the portal and figures you're playing with.

:p

BooJoh

As I said the last time someone asked, I'd go with both or - if that's not an option - the console version (doesn't seem to matter which console, the biggest difference is HD on PS360 and waggle on Wii.) Although I think I'd give 360 the edge over PS3 just because of the wired portal. I have the PS3 version and ever since the batteries died I've been using my 3DS portal with it via USB so I don't need batteries.

I really enjoyed the 3DS version, and I think it's worth $40-$50, and if you have the means I say get both the 3DS version and a console version (doesn't matter which really.) But I'd have to say the console version is the overall better game IMO. They're really so different that it's apples to oranges to compare them, so watch a couple videos of each and decide which looks more fun to you.

In other news...tonight I'm recording a special one off podcast with John Davison (Gamespot, formerly 1Up etc.), Andy Robertson (Wired.com) and Ian Hughes (The Cool Stuff Collective, Feeding Edge) about Skylanders.

The aforementioned podcast episode is now online (free, no ads, not looking for hits). Not sure I'm allowed to direct link, don't want to break any GAF rules. You should be able to find it easy enough through google or via John Davison's twitter feed. Hope you guys find it interesting. We're hoping to do a follow up with Activision/Toys For Bob's involvement.

In other news, still searching for an Air Skylander in the UK. If anyone finds them on sale anywhere (at RRP), please get in touch. You'll be my 5yo son's hero!

Zing

Banned
You should have had Sonic Boom available for the past 5 months. Air is definitely the most difficult to get, though.

chiQ

The aforementioned podcast episode is now online (free, no ads, not looking for hits). Not sure I'm allowed to direct link, don't want to break any GAF rules. You should be able to find it easy enough through google or via John Davison's twitter feed. Hope you guys find it interesting. We're hoping to do a follow up with Activision/Toys For Bob's involvement.

In other news, still searching for an Air Skylander in the UK. If anyone finds them on sale anywhere (at RRP), please get in touch. You'll be my 5yo son's hero!

Let me know if you want to trade my Sonic Boom for something.

kagete

I can't find a Bash in Georgia despite driving to every TRU, walmart, target, bestbuy, gamestop, and EB within 50 miles at least once these past 2 weeks.

Zing

Banned
I like how the official Facebook page always taunts you about the new figures.

"hay guys! tell us your favorite Slam Bam upgrade!"

May as well be asking us what our gold bars smell like at this point. I haven't seen a single Empire of Ice yet.

WatTsu

Got my copy of the 3DS Skylanders and Stealth Elf in the mail today. Had a chance to play the first five or so levels and I have to say, I prefer the console version but this one is a pretty good companion piece. It's pretty fun in its own regard and a decent platformer, which the 3DS can always use more of.

The only drawback so far seems to be that there's no way to earn gold in the 3DS version for the main game (unless there is, but I am a bit too lazy to go back into this thread and find out) but I'm glad I picked it up.

BooJoh

The only drawback so far seems to be that there's no way to earn gold in the 3DS version for the main game (unless there is, but I am a bit too lazy to go back into this thread and find out) but I'm glad I picked it up.

There's not, but on the bright side that means if you level a character up on 3DS you can still use them on console without completely trivializing the game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Is there a site out there that aids in tracking down where to find new figures, etc...? A friend of mine is having issues finding them everywhere (all sold out) and i wanted to see if i could help.

TheGrue

Went to Toys R Us yesterday to see if they had any Legendary Triggery Happy figures. Display was completely empty and there was a sign posted saying to come back on March 21st when they will have more stock of figures.

explodet

I feel sorry for any video game employee at TRU, the poor bastards have enough to deal with without having to answer the same damn "When are you getting more Skylanders in" question over and over and over.

Toys R Us and Argos were overflowing with stock a few days ago here in the UK as Wave 3 finally appears to have hit retail, so I've scored an Air Skylander for my son at last. We've got at least one of each element now, so I can finally ease off on the search and give my wallet a well earned rest.

Pretty genius how they make you rest your figures when they run out of health.

I finally found a single character pack yesterday, Drobot. That is ALL I have seen since Christmas when I bought this thing for the kiddos.

There is some crypt set thing on Craigslist in my city for $30. Thinking about snatching it up.

kagete

This game must now be extremely popular here in Atlanta because I have not been able to find anything these past 2 weeks. No singles or 3packs or any sets that aren't the starters.

BooJoh

This game must now be extremely popular here in Atlanta because I have not been able to find anything these past 2 weeks. No singles or 3packs or any sets that aren't the starters.

I think it's been that way pretty much everywhere since Christmas.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
So, I am going to post some info here. At the same time, I am going to have a bit of fun.

Think of this as sort of a contest.

So Toys R Us is pushing this date of March 21st, as a day when supposedly ALL Toys R Us stores will be getting lots of Skylanders.

I may need some help getting these, incase my local stores' scalping employees hides most of the new stuff.

So, on the 21st, Zook, Lightning Rod, and Dragon's Peak could very well show up at TRU. I need 5 of each for my personal collection, as well as my kids.

The contest part of this, is that for the first person to grab those and send me a PM stating they have 5 Dragon's Peak, 5 Zook, and 5 Lightning Rods for me to buy from them at cost, plus shipping, I will give them a prize.

What is the prize?

I will give - for their generosity in helping me - a Toy Fair 2012 Cynder, just for getting me 5 of each to buy off of them at cost, plus shipping. I may even throw in a sealed Volcanic Vault. :)

Now, should I find them first, I will post here saying I found them and I won't be holding this "contest." However, if I find them first, I will be helping those who are also looking for said characters.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something. I seriously changed the way my Skylander wall looks. Instead of dedicating a corner to Skylanders, I dedicated an entire wall to it. Once wave 4 is in my hands, I will show you the redesigned Skylander shrine. I think you guys will love it.

kagete

PM is too slow for this. You need to share your phone number or an email add so that you get the instant notification from an SMS or email. I probably won't be able to help with this as all Metro Atlanta locations, and even farther ones out, are regularly cleaned out before lunch according to all the TRU employees I've talked to. It's the same at every Target, walmart, or gamestop.

kagete

A site my GF showed me had listed that the Legendary figures has like 20 more luck or some such improvements for around 40 total better stats at max.

TheGrue

So Toys R Us is pushing this date of March 21st, as a day when supposedly ALL Toys R Us stores will be getting lots of Skylanders.

I called my local Toys R Us today to see if they had figures (called at around noon Mountain time) and they said they had a line outside the door this morning when they opened and all they have left are single packs of Eruptor. Looks like getting the Wave 4 stuff is going to be tough again.

BooJoh

Looks like Walmart is sending free figures to the people whose Empire of Ice preorders were cancelled. I just received an email saying as much.

At the end of January, we reached out to let you know that a manufacturing shortage forced us to cancel your preorder(s) for the Skylanders Adventure Pack.

We know this was disappointing, so to show that we appreciate your interest in Skylanders and your choice to shop at Walmart, we've worked with our supplier to send you a free Skylanders Adventures action figure. (one figurine per affected customer)

We have sent the free action figure to the same delivery address as your original order, with no shipping charge and no purchase necessary. (Please note that this is not one of the figures from your original order.)

I'm sure it'll probably be something I already have, but that's pretty cool of them.

Top Bottom