• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks like Walmart is sending free figures to the people whose Empire of Ice preorders were cancelled. I just received an email saying as much.

I'm sure it'll probably be something I already have, but that's pretty cool of them.

Got it today, too. I agree--VERY cool of them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just received my three-pack of Lightning Rod, Cynder, and Zook from Amazon (managed to snag one yesterday morning in the short time they were up).

Can't wait to use them--my kids are so excited.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I was a fan of Spyro during the golden era (Insomniac) but haven't played one since. I was turned off by Skylanders due to the money-vacuuming method of play and my belief that it was a betrayal to Spyro. But now... I'm kind of interested in it. So weird...

Not sure what to do. Should I just get the starter set and see what happens?

BatDan

Pretty much. :p
Consoles/PC depending on your platform of choice and if you like it and want more (outside the figures...) and have a 3DS get the 3DS game too. :p

Alright. Amazon had it for $50 so with a gift card I had I bought it for $40. Saved $30 bucks on it so... yeah. I'll see what happens. PS3 version.

TheGrue

Managed to get a Legendary Trigger Happy today at TRU. Still need Zook, Lightning Rod, and the Dragon's Peak Adventure Pack.

Heard my area was stocking up in stores, so I went to check out Target yesterday. Luckily, they had 1 Empire of Ice pack left on the shelf. I grabbed it, and walked around a little bit. A couple came up to me and the wife asked me, a little timidly, “how bad do you need that?” pointing to my find. I assumed she was asking in general, if they were necessary for the game, but as I started to explain that really only one of each element was needed, she explained that her kid was dying for it, and that she would really like to make him happy. Shit. Of course I couldn’t keep it, I’m a 25 year old dude, but it did pain me a little bit handing it over, haha. They were super appreciative though, and about a minute later they stopped me again because the store associate was able to locate a box in the back and another Empire of Ice for me.

They also let me know that the local Toys R Us just put a ton of Dragon’s Peak and Legendary Trigger Happy figures, so I promptly went over there. It was weird, almost an entire wall of like 50-60 Trigger Happies, Dragon’s Peak, and a few 3-packs. I assume they’re gone by now, though.

Just need Zook and Lightning Rod!

BatDan

So what's the difference between the Legendary figures and the regular ones? Or just the variant figures? Are the variant figures the same as the regular ones just with a different color to them? There needs to be a checklist of this or something.

So what's the difference between the Legendary figures and the regular ones? Or just the variant figures? Are the variant figures the same as the regular ones just with a different color to them? There needs to be a checklist of this or something.

The Legendary figures actually show up differently in the game and have seperate stats than their non-legendary counterparts.. I don't have them in front of me, but for example Legendary Trigger Happy has 100 toward luck.

The variants like the gold, silver, etc. editions show up the same in game, the figures themselves are just cosmetic.

BooJoh

My free figure from Walmart arrived today. It's a Double Trouble. Not one I needed, but I'm not one to complain about free stuff.

BatDan

The Legendary figures actually show up differently in the game and have seperate stats than their non-legendary counterparts.. I don't have them in front of me, but for example Legendary Trigger Happy has 100 toward luck.

The variants like the gold, silver, etc. editions show up the same in game, the figures themselves are just cosmetic.

Ah okay. That's helpful.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Hey, Fernoca, you should update your first post.

We now know Ignitor is a part of wave 4 singles.

Wave 4 singles goes like this -

- Lightning Rod
- Zook
- Ignitor
- Stealth Elf
- Bash
- Sonic Boom

Wave 4 triples goes like this -

- 2 Lightning Rod/Cynder/Zook
- 2 Zap/Hex/Dino Rang
- 2 Prism Break/Boomer/Voodood

Dragon's Peak is of course exclusive to TRU for 30 days.

Blue Bash is TRU exclusive and will be out this Sunday.

Wave 5 is single pack Warnado, Camo, Wham Shell, and three other Skylanders from previous waves. Wave 5 triple pack is Camo/Ignitor/Warnado.

Thanks for the heads up on the Legendary Trigger Happy online. I'm paying an extra $5.00 in shipping but I'm sure I'd waste that checking the damn store all the time looking for it. For some reason, calling my closest TRU (which is 12 miles away) results in me showing up and them not having anything. I think they just tell people yes for the foot traffic.

Just thought I'd share this... this guy has probably the most comprehensive list of Giants features I've seen so far. Skylanders: Giants Info

Just thought I'd share this... this guy has probably the most comprehensive list of Giants features I've seen so far. Skylanders: Giants Info

So does that pretty much say that the existing figures will be redundant and inferior to the reposed re-released 32 Skylanders?

32 Reposed Re-released Skylanders: These figures not only offer a reposed version of the original Skylanders, but they can also take advantage of the higher levelling up in the new game. These figures will work in both Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures and Skylanders Giants.

Andy is probably the most clued up games journalist regarding Skylanders as far as I can tell. Had the pleasure of sharing the mic with him on a recent podcast and hoping to do another one soon with both Toys For Bob and Activision's involvement. His Sypro's Adventure/Giants compatibility venn diagram is fantastic.

Talking of which, it appears that you'll be able to take Skylanders to higher levels in Giants, but that it might be exclusive to toys released with Giants and not existing Skylanders you own. If so, that might be the first time that the construction of the game, and how it makes you want more toys, has annoyed me. All 32 of the original characters will be re-released for Giants, which is fine, but to know they can go to higher levels will make my son want them and I absolutely refuse to buy the same toy twice just for that minor benefit. Doubt my son will see it that way though.

GameMaster78, how's the collection going. Have you managed to get the multiples of all the new characters you were after?

BooJoh

I agree about the figure re-releases. I've been collecting all the figures, I'm only missing Zook and Lightning Rod at the moment (not counting silver/gold recolors,) and if the re-posed figures are indeed able to level up higher in the sequel, I'm going to be very put off from buying any of them. I might just stick to new characters for Giants.

In other news, I scored a clear blue Bash today. It's not in-hand yet, but my dad managed to get me one so next time he's in town it's mine..

BatDan

Welp... I'm hooked. Game is fun.
I bought the Drobot/Flameslinger/Stump Smash triple pack, and I have the 3DS version, the Dino-Rang/Hex/Zap triple pack, and Legendary Trigger Happy coming in the mail. Hopefully TRU restocks the Legendary 3-pack online soon.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Keep an open eye on Walmart, ladies and gents. Camo and Warnado have been spotted at Walmarts in Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas.

Good luck hunting. I will try to help as many here as possible.

tw1164

I agree about the figure re-releases. I've been collecting all the figures, I'm only missing Zook and Lightning Rod at the moment (not counting silver/gold recolors,) and if the re-posed figures are indeed able to level up higher in the sequel, I'm going to be very put off from buying any of them. I might just stick to new characters for Giants..

WTF!? Only the new(old) figures get increased levels? I'm with you, I guess it's just the new figures for me. I'll wait until the bubble bursts and buy the re-posed figures dirt cheap off ebay.

BooJoh

Gamestop also has them in stock online as well.

They still show as in stock but as soon as you try to add them to your cart it throws a "not available" error, so I guess I missed my chance. I did manage to snag a Zook/Lightning Rod/Cynder 3-pack though. I already have a Cynder but at $20 for the 3-pack the Cynder is basically free.

Warnado has been one of my most wanted figures since the game came out. Hopefully I can manage to get one soon.

EDIT: It might also be worth mentioning, if anyone needs the older 3-packs, I saw some at Sam's Club for $18 each. That's a steal compared to what everyone else is charging these days, so if you know someone with a Sam's membership you can get a good deal on those.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I just need Wham Shell now.

Thing is, Wham Shell doesn't come in the same boxes as Camo and Warnado do.

It's crazy, but I don't know how to get Wham Shell, despite the fact he is out. Only one person has posted one on scalperbay, from the Mill Valley, California area. Surely more would be on there, or people would be saying they have all Skylanders, thanks to having Wham Shell.

It's like a mystery.

fernoca

Seems, the iOS game was finally released...and seems there might be 2 more down the road (the official site has two more slots as "coming soon" under Cloud Patrol in Mobile Games.)

[Posting this here, since it doesn't fit at the moment in the main post, going to fix a few things over there].

EDIT: Okay, managed to add this to the main post, at the end.
(Stuff from Kotaku, avatars, wallpapers and other misc. things had to go).

6OpEg.png

Platforms: iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
Developer: Vicarious Visions
Release Date: April 5, 2012
Price: $0.99
Size: 78.2 MB
Purchase link

2haCc.png

Join Trigger Happy and the rest of the Skylanders as they patrol the Skylands for escaped trolls!
Grab your favorite Skylander and take to the skies in your flying gunship to put those troublesome trolls in their place — Skylanders style.​
7IMyx.png

KpTDY.png

• Tons of Magic Item boosts, such as Anvil Rain and Time Twister, to super power your adventure.
  • Play with over 30 different Skylanders characters.
  • Support for your existing Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure Toy Collection. If you already own Skylanders toys, use your web code card to unlock Skylanders and Magic Items in Cloud Patrol.
  • Friend and Global Game Center Leaderboards — what’s your high score?
  • 30 Game Center Achievements!
  • Universal App with support for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.

mdWRt.png

DHWBE.png

BatDan

I just need Wham Shell now.

Thing is, Wham Shell doesn't come in the same boxes as Camo and Warnado do.

It's crazy, but I don't know how to get Wham Shell, despite the fact he is out. Only one person has posted one on scalperbay, from the Mill Valley, California area. Surely more would be on there, or people would be saying they have all Skylanders, thanks to having Wham Shell.

It's like a mystery.

Where do you get all this info?

rcl66

The iPad app is surprisingly fun and makes good use of the web codes finally. It's like a combination of fruit ninja gameplay and jetpack joyride mission structure. Been having a lot of fun with it the past few days and has me searching for all my web codes for figures I bought.

Picked up Cloud Patrol as well. Surprisingly fun. :)

Now I'm conflicted with opening up the packagings for my Skylanders just for the web codes. Lol. /cry

TheGrue

Just having no luck finding any Wave 4 or 5 stuff. :( At least stores finally have some Skylanders in stock, but it's all Chop Chops and Hexes and stuff like that.

Zing

Banned
I finally put the strategy guide to use. I bought it back in November and only used it to glance at all the character upgrades.

Last night, my girlfriend and I played through Leviathan Lagoon three times and still couldn't find the legendary treasure. Finally, I gave up and looked in the guide.
It isn't visible in the world. You have to swim out to a certain section where Leviathan eats you, then the treasure is inside his mouth.
That kind of "secret" is mildly annoying to me. Kind of like the one part where you need to use a life character to extend a bridge, only there is no indication that a bridge would appear there.

Like most collectors, I am up to 28 figures and waiting for the last batch. I am still missing Ignitor, even though I could have him. I'm waiting to see if the final triple-pack appears (Camo, Ignitor, Warnado) relatively soon, since the packs are a much better value.

I'm just going through the levels, earning the completion stars. I am only missing a few each of hats, treasure chests, and legendary treasures. Also, I haven't done the speed runs on many of the levels. I do those on my own, and my girlfriend joins me for the others.

I recently went through all my characters to check their upgrades. I ended up resetting three of them, because I wanted to try their other upgrade path. Also, my Hex lost her arm (physically broken off), so Activision sent me a new one. The old Hex was almost fully upgraded, so now I have to round up a huge stack of gold to re-buy her upgrades on the new figure. It helps that I have completed the game four times, so Auric's "gift" sped things up.

I also did the "unlimited money" cheat with the Dragon's Treasure for the first time. Bash was one of my characters I reset, so I used the "cheat" to get him his soul gem upgrade in the span of just a few minutes.

My six-year-old daughter is still loving the game. We just recently discovered that you are supposed to put the name stickers on the included poster as you acquire the figures! I would have never guessed this, but I saw an Ebay auction where someone had done this. One of her favourite things to do is wreck me with Sonic Boom in PvP arenas. We will definitely still be playing this game all the way until Giants is released.

Oh, and the iOS game is actually very fun! It's like Fruit Ninja, only with significantly more replay value, tactics, and challenge.

fernoca

Finally purchased my first two Skylanders (aside the included 3 ones back at launch): Wrecking Ball and Hex!

Always was interested in Hex, so good to see she's quite cool to play with and the figure even glows in the dark (well, the skull she's standing on).

Like Wrecking Ball too, because he's like all crazy and hyped... reminds me of my dog. XD

BatDan

After coming back from a convention, I have all but four Skylanders (that includes the Special Five). I'm only missing Sunburn (and the adventure pack), Camo, Wham-Shell and Warnado.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did someone figure out what it would cost to get all the characters at retail? I played this when it first came out, and I kind of what to play it again...Not sure what system (probably PS3 since that's what I currently game on), but I just don't know how expensive it would be to get into and enjoy. :|

Anyone have thoughts/tips/tricks for getting started?

E: Also, how many will I realistically miss out on? Or can I still get them all for not a kick-in-the-balls amount of money?

EE: I'm going shopping after work, probably to TRU, GameStop (to cancel my 3DS Circle Pad pre-order), Best Buy, and Target. So that's where I'll start. GameMaster, if you read this, your tips/experience, would be awesome. :p

BatDan

I started recently as well sooo here's what I did.
Get the console starter pack and the 3DS stater pack. They have different figures and the two games themselves are very different (3DS version has a different story and allows jumping)
Next, look for triple packs and Adventure Packs. The former is a better deal than single packs and the latter gives new levels, special items, and new Skylander.

This site helps: http://www.darkspyro.net/skylanders/packs/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I started recently as well sooo here's what I did.
Get the console starter pack and the 3DS stater pack. They have different figures and the two games themselves are very different (3DS version has a different story and allows jumping)
Next, look for triple packs and Adventure Packs. The former is a better deal than single packs and the latter gives new levels, special items, and new Skylander.

This site helps: http://www.darkspyro.net/skylanders/packs/

This I can do, thank you! I'll grab the 3DS and PS3 version (unless the PS3 version is poo?). I'll bring my checklist with me to various stores, haha.

Can Wave 1 still be found?

Zing

Banned
Did someone figure out what it would cost to get all the characters at retail? I played this when it first came out, and I kind of what to play it again...Not sure what system (probably PS3 since that's what I currently game on), but I just don't know how expensive it would be to get into and enjoy. :|

Anyone have thoughts/tips/tricks for getting started?

E: Also, how many will I realistically miss out on? Or can I still get them all for not a kick-in-the-balls amount of money?

EE: I'm going shopping after work, probably to TRU, GameStop (to cancel my 3DS Circle Pad pre-order), Best Buy, and Target. So that's where I'll start. GameMaster, if you read this, your tips/experience, would be awesome. :p

I originally calculated the cost at $330, and that is with no sales and buying triple-packs when possible. It is very easy to get the stuff on sale as TRU has very frequently had BOGO and other deals. The starter pack alone is sometimes half price.

If I were to get into the game now, I would hit up ebay and buy out someone's collection. It is very economical. Someone I know on another forum sold his collection which was complete other than the final five characters, including all stickers and cards, for a measly $180.

I have recently calculated that you could buy the starter, all four adventure packs, and enough to fill out two of each element type for a cheap $120 or so (sale prices and triple packs).

Mainly, you want to only buy triple-packs if possible. You essentially get a free figure that way (cost is $20 vs $30 for individuals).

BatDan

This I can do, thank you! I'll grab the 3DS and PS3 version (unless the PS3 version is poo?). I'll bring my checklist with me to various stores, haha.

Can Wave 1 still be found?

Yes. Though the only one you might have issues with is the Legendary 3-Pack (and by extension, Legendary Trigger Happy). Those are only available at Toys R Us and third-parties sell them for inflated prices. They sell out fast too, TRU restocked the 3-pack online the other day and it's gone now.

Zing

Banned
I avoided the Legendaries despite them being easily had at any given moment last fall. I remember thinking they would never sell them all because there were so many. The same thing is happening with Legendary Trigger Happy now. Stores are getting 40-60 of this guy at a time and they sit there clogging the shelves for weeks. I personally don't see the need for re-skinned figures with slightly higher stats. The Legendaries aren't even in the "collection" on the consoles, so you aren't missing out on earning that 100% award (although Vicarious Visions was devious enough to add them to the 3DS port).

The problem now is that all these old characters are collecting dust on the shelves while the new packs are stored in the back room. If you want any of the latest release (Warnado, Camo) you pretty much have to ask the TRU or Walmart associate to check their system to see if they have unopened boxes in the back. They don't seem to put out the new boxes while old ones are sitting on the shelf, and each box only contains one of each figure.

Here's my local TRU with half the shelving filled with only Drobot:

Oh and two Stump Smash. :D

Top Bottom