• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slate : Was a Trump Server Communicating With Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

NY times needs to be more honest

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/1...ul-manafort-ukraine-cash-payments-russia.html

The Trump campaign was on the defensive on Monday after a New York Times report revealed that its chairman, Paul Manafort, was designated to receive $12.7 million in undisclosed and potentially illegal cash payments from a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine.

He's not saying that, I think. Trump is clearly THE king shitbag here. But Clinton also makes everyone miss Obama.

I'm not. I already voted for Hillary a week ago. And yeah Hillary IMO is the ONLY option this year, none of the others would have a fucking clue what to do. That doesn't mean I don't see a ton of flaws despite all the good she has done.

I guess I didn't read the temperature of the thread before posting, seemed a little innocuous to me.

I'm a little high right now

TI82

Banned
I'm not. I already voted for Hillary a week ago. And yeah Hillary IMO is the ONLY option this year, none of the others would have a fucking clue what to do. That doesn't mean I don't see a ton of flaws despite all the good she has done.

I guess I didn't read the temperature of the thread before posting, seemed a little innocuous to me.

I'm a little high right now

What I Dont get is the people that went from Bernie to trump or Johnson. That is straight up stupidity.

Chiggs

Gold Member
No fuck giving up the most qualified and hardworking candidate of my life with a history of fighting for the disenfranchised because of a fucking email server and fearmongering bullshit innuendo.

Hillary is a goddamn awesome candidate, and we are going to annihilate Trump. Then, we will destroy his life until all around him is embers. Fuck this cowering bullshit. What this man has done to this country is obscene and he will pay. His business will collapse around him. His wife will divorce him. He will go bankrupt a fifth time. He will die old and alone. And we are going to make it happen, starting with deconstructing his ego piece by piece on election day.

I think you're letting this get to you in a way that is unhealthy. I hope this sort of stuff is just reserved for GAF.

He is going to lose. It's really that simple. Matching vitriol for vitriol...what's the point, man? He's a turd and a troll and letting him warp you into something else is really just letting him win.

.JayZii

Banned
giphy.gif

This should be enough for FBI to confiscate that computer in Trump office, no?
If they can figure out how to work with Windows 93.

Man, all these revelations coming out about our freaking POTUS candidates. WTF. Why can't we have honest people as leaders, that care about the people who run the country, the workers. Of course Trump is working alongside Putin. They have a scheme they want to pull.

Amir0x

Banned
I think you're letting this get to you in a way that is unhealthy. I hope this sort of stuff is just reserved for GAF.

He is going to lose. It's really that simple. Matching vitriol for vitriol...what's the point, man? He's a turd and a troll and letting him warp you into something else is really just letting him win.
No i am just as vitriolic in real life about this abominable monster as i am here. I just have more people to discuss it with here.

People really seem to care about this high ground shit. I dont. I want to destroy this mans life for the damage he has done to our democracy even in losing, and i want the fucking Senate and Supreme Court. Too many lives are on the line and the stakes are too high to pussyfoot around. Ive been on GAF for elections going back to like 2006, and ive never treated an opponent like this.

No, i reserve this venom for the truly despicable and deplorable. I am against the death penalty. I am not against destroying an evil mans life down to its very foundations. Ill let others worry about highmindedness when we are passing groundbreaking legislation and preserving sanity in the court for a generation.

Adaren

The Slate article is loaded with hard evidence that no one has even attempted to refute. The timeline, the firewalls, the fact that Alfa Bank was the first to contact them post-rename, etc.

It isn't clear when the FBI drew their conclusions about Trump's server, and it isn't clear that they took all of those facts into account. Neither Alfa Bank nor the FBI has made any attempt to explain those events away, and the story isn't closed until someone can.

I mean, maybe it's not true. Maybe it is just some extremely unusual spam server gone awry. That explanation is possible, I suppose. But it isn't anywhere close to plausible until someone can explain away all of the technical facts pointing towards the alternative.

EDIT: And, on another note, (the chance of Trump becoming President) * (the chance that Trump has non-trivial ties to Russia) is waaaaaay to fucking high for my liking. Cross my fingers that none of that comes to pass.

The Slate article is loaded with hard evidence that no one has even attempted to refute. The timeline, the firewalls, the fact that Alfa Bank was the first to contact them post-rename, etc.

It isn't clear when the FBI drew their conclusions about Trump's server, and it isn't clear that they took all of those facts into account. Neither Alfa Bank nor the FBI has made any attempt to explain those events away, and the story isn't closed until someone can.

I mean, maybe it's not true. Maybe it is just some extremely unusual spam server gone awry. That explanation is possible, I suppose. But it isn't anywhere close to plausible until someone can explain away all of the technical facts pointing towards the alternative.

EDIT: And, on another note, (the chance of Trump becoming President) * (the chance that Trump has non-trivial ties to Russia) is waaaaaay to fucking high for my liking. Cross my fingers that none of that comes to pass.

Media giving it no coverage on TV though.

BSsBrolly

Banned

You sound like a Trumper talking about the O'Keefe video... Let's not stoop to their level.

Adaren

Read through all the counter points. Part of me feels better; perhaps the data was doctored to make it look bad, which is definitely preferable to a presidential candidate having under-the-table ties to our most antagonistic rival.

You sound like a Trumper talking about the O'Keefe video... Let's not stoop to their level.

Yeah...I probably let it get to my head a bit. I didn't expect the week leading up to election day to be this stress-inducing.

I'll wait for it to be corroborated. Hopefully it isn't.

While skepticism is healthy, the difference here is that "Slate" isn't a convicted criminal who has been explicitly caught (multiple times!) doctoring footage in the past to create a false narrative.

leroidys

This seems acutely relevant again. This article is from late October when everyone was expecting a landslide Clinton win.

Jetman

Yeah, I just re-read the article today and sent it to a few friends.
The author did an updated article to show non-consenting viewpoints that seemed pretty valid.

I guess the only question I have would be how closely tied Alfa "bank" is to Putin. Seeing as Alfa has had dealings or meetings with Obama and his White House staff at least twice over Big O's term too.

Probably the most damning thing to me is all the other preponderance of weird ties Trumps' campaign has like Manafort and Ukrainian policy change. Add up this to all of that and shit gets a little weird.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Both sides are th...

This is literally amazing.

No matter what happens this election will be memorable.

jWILL253

Banned
It'd amazing how much the media betrayed us this election. A handful of great investigative reporters laid this stuff out there and it had no traction at all.

Now we're all aghast like this wasn't a thing weeks and months ago.

America is reactionary country.

We only do what we need to do after the worst has already happened.

Mully

It'd amazing how much the media betrayed us this election. A handful of great investigative reporters laid this stuff out there and it had no traction at all.

Now we're all aghast like this wasn't a thing weeks and months ago.

I don't think cable media betrayed us in that sense. Even in the face of the latest Russia revelations, the Slate article's arguments were pretty weak. In fact the reporter who wrote the article went on NPR a few days later and said he wasn't that confident in the allegations posited in the article.

If network media betrayed anyone this election, it was the white working class. They were largely ignored because of their ignorant views and rather than engaging them, 24 hour media and people on the left ostracized them to the fringes. The populists got their revenge on the left and cable media on Election Day. Russia did influence Trump voters and dissatisfied blue collar workers through the DNC leaks and fake news, but these people were already ignored by the 24 hour news networks to such an extent that they were willing to believe such bullshit because these fake news outlets were the only ones speaking to their fears and frustrations (no matter how uncredible they were).

Owari

There could be undeniable proof Trump bought the election and it wouldn't make a difference. We have 8 years of orange to look forward to. :(

Nafai1123

Banned
The information obtained by these private citizens was obviously not enough to amount to anything, and brought a lot of skepticism to these allegations, but my hope is that with intelligence agencies conducting an investigation, they may have the tools required to see more detail into what these sever communications actually were, and whether they contained anything potentially treasonous.

shaowebb

So lets say they gain access to the servers at Trumps and through some miracle they aren't wiped and show proof of not only communication but of plots to rig the election. Lets just talk about where that leads

• Trump would be guilty of treason
  • It'd be an act of war from Russia
  • China, who Trump rattled with Taiwan and twitter, would be all buddied up with us to shut down that shit
  • It'd bring the entire election of not just trump but all the seats voted on into question...and the Republicans won every branch of government.
  • Likely severe turmoil and contesting over the legitimacy of every elected officials validity.
  • Complete faith in our government lost by the public and world
  • Alt Right folks would probably become unhinged and escalate conflicts with liberal voters as they see their power stolen because lets face it they only hear what they like and call the rest fake.
  • Likely some high economic outfall on wallstreet
  • possibly extending Obama's term till its settled (which would escalate alt right conflicts more than anything), or Clinton, Or Pence would get control. Its a tossup.

This is all just the tip should those servers get taken, searched and give up evidence convicting Trump of anything and illegitimate the election outcomes.

Should nothing come of this and it keeps being pushed aside as propaganda without full investigation then its Trump in charge or in a scenario where something else removes him from power...Pence. In either case, its still Republican rule as they own all the branches of government.

Very little could honestly stop the repubican party now. Even should they utilize the amendment to have Trump removed themselves they still hold the power. Should a miracle happen for democrats, the election is overturned by the electoral college and Hillary gets in she's still a lame duck as the Republicans control every branch still.

From the most chaotic outcome (the first I theorized) to the least chaotic outcome of Hillary getting in via electoral college all avenues generally point to a lot of turbulence from the Alt Right because anything other than absolute suppression of whatever they see as a threat will be seen as the powers that be cheating them. No matter what I'd say they'd become more radicalized than ever.

Trump makes it in all the way and we got CEO's that are against every major area of government placed in charge of them and likely all foreign relations go to shit and a war brews somewhere else. Quite likely a depression would ensue given it'd no doubt involve China cutting ties which would cause catastrophic outfall on markets.

Wait, this came out BEFORE the damn election? Why wasn't this headline news all over the world.

Every day I'm more convinced the dude is really a Putin puppet. This is unbelievable. Americans should be outraged and up in arms about all the indications that your enemy number one is a threat to your elections.

Shadybiz

Yeah, well, I'll bet you that Alfa Bank didn't seek out and murder Dr. Ben Ghazi.

...and now we have what we have. Simply incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom