• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slate's Hollywood Career-O-Matic....(Thread about Rotten Tomatoes data)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender came out in July 2010, critics competed to see who could muster the most scorn. Shyamalan's seventh film was "dull, boring, poorly acted, limply written, and thoroughly unappealing" (San Francisco Chronicle), and "tiff, fuzzy-looking, cloddish and disastrous in nearly every way" (Detroit News). In the Wall Street Journal, Joe Morgenstern called it "a form of Chinese water torture in which tin-ear line-readings take the place of drips." "The current national priorities should be as follows," wrote Cliff Doerksen in the Chicago Reader. "Reduce carbon emissions and stop funding the films of M. Night Shyamalan."

Perhaps the most devastating critique—of not just the movie but of Shyamalan himself—was a simple graph plotting the Rotten Tomatoes scores of the director's movies over time, posted by Alex Tabarrok at the economics blog Marginal Revolution:

110603_CB_ChartRT.jpg

What makes the data from Rotten Tomatoes so brutal is that they depict not just one person's opinion of Shyamalan but the collective assessment of all our cultural critics. (The scores are based on aggregated reviews.) You may still run into the occasional Shyamalan defender, but as the graph shows, their numbers dwindle with every new film he makes. Rotten Tomatoes data reveal other trends, too. They show you how Brad Pitt went from being a regular star—the kind of Hollywood actor who appears in some good films and some bad ones—to a critical darling whose movies are almost always well-received. (It started with Babel in 2006.) Or how Matt Damon has made consistently better films than Ben Affleck since 1997, when the pair starred in Good Will Hunting.

The Rotten Tomatoes website, created in 1999, aggregates reviews from hundreds of newspapers and websites across the country, converts each review into a thumbs-up ("fresh") or thumbs-down ("rotten") rating, and then combines those assessments into a single "Tomatometer" rating that gives the percentage of positive reviews. The site even aggregates archived reviews from films that were released in the 1990s and before. Whether you're looking at contemporary cinema or the classics, the Tomatometer can serve as shorthand for a film's critical reception, if not its box office success.

A visitor to the Rotten Tomatoes site can check out the data for individual Hollywood careers—that's how Tabarrok came up with the Shyamalan graph—but there's no easy way for users to measure industrywide trends or to compare different actors and directors side-by-side. To that end, Rotten Tomatoes kindly let Slate analyze the scores in its enormous database and create an interactive tool so our readers might do the same.

The first thing we learned was that a film's Tomatometer rating is strongly influenced by its age. Films from the 1920s, for instance, have an average Tomatometer rating around 91 percent, while films from the 1990s average around 55 percent. Movies might have gotten worse since the Great Depression, but not that much worse. The golden-oldies effect may be explained by a bias toward reviewers reviewing, or Rotten Tomatoes scoring, only the best movies from bygone eras. Rotten Tomatoes includes a score for Casablanca from 1942, for example, but leaves out clunkers from the same year like The Corpse Vanishes and Lady Gangster.

110602_CB_average.jpg

Long Read and at the ending looks at actor / director career

OOps forgot source : http://www.slate.com/id/2296070/

Thanks for the link. That graph generator is really interesting, but is probably more useful for gauging directors rather than actors. Just messed with a couple of names but actors are all over the place, but directors show some patterns.

GekigangerV said:
Thanks for the link. That graph generator is really interesting, but is probably more useful for gauging directors rather than actors. Just messed with a couple of names but actors are all over the place, but directors show some patterns.

I tried linking the actual "program" instead of the full story but I can't. It useful and interesting to how most actors.

There seems to be alot of names that aren't in their database. Maybe too few films? I can't find Terrence Malick or George Lucas.

SteveWinwood said:
There seems to be alot of names that aren't in their database. Maybe too few films? I can't find Terrence Malick or George Lucas.

yah they are missing a lot tbh but I'm guessing or hoping they're gonna update soon. ..........

on a side note you can compare actors side byside. I just found this out while playing with it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender came out in July 2010, critics competed to see who could muster the most scorn. Shyamalan's seventh film was "dull, boring, poorly acted, limply written, and thoroughly unappealing" (San Francisco Chronicle), and "tiff, fuzzy-looking, cloddish and disastrous in nearly every way" (Detroit News). In the Wall Street Journal, Joe Morgenstern called it "a form of Chinese water torture in which tin-ear line-readings take the place of drips." "The current national priorities should be as follows," wrote Cliff Doerksen in the Chicago Reader. "Reduce carbon emissions and stop funding the films of M. Night Shyamalan."

The Last Airbender was his 9th film. I know it hurts the narrative to acknowledge his work before The Sixth Sense, but that stuff did happen.

Cartman86

Banned
Dan said:
The Last Airbender was his 9th film. I know it hurts the narrative to acknowledge his work before The Sixth Sense, but that stuff did happen.

So weird how people even ignore Wide Awake. It had tons of trailers and featured Rosie O'Donnell!!

Cartman86

Banned
Average tomatometer rating by year is useless for anything before the 2000's (and maybe the 90's). Not only do the bad films tend to not get reviews at all, but the best films actually get more reviews, because modern critics go back and review them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
spiderman123 said:
question how did you guyz copy the results and post it as a pic?!
I'm assuming they're using the imgur plug-in and doing selective screenshot uploads.

xbhaskarx

My two favorite directors:
AKG73.jpg

The low points are The Hudsucker Proxy, The Ladykillers, and The Fountain, which is crazy considering two out of the three are amazing films, and the Ladykillers is a decent enough remake of a classic.

This article is good stuff, it really uses statistics to show how much more important good directors are compared to actors:
110602_CB_CareerTrajectory.jpg

I tried to think of some big-name mainstream actors who have done a fairly good job picking roles, and three out of the four were really all over the place:
J1PRG.jpg

I prefer Metacritic to Rotten Tomatoes, I wish they would have used that instead.

xbhaskarx said:
I tried to think of some big-name mainstream actors who have done a fairly good job picking roles, and three out of the four were really all over the place

One good performance can't save any film, but a bad director can ruin any film.

markot

Banned
Scorsese seems like the most consistently great directors >.<

Is it weird that the only women directors that come to mind are Sofia Coppola and that nazi chick >.>?

xbhaskarx

markot said:
Scorsese seems like the most consistently great directors >.<

Nah it's just that no matter what he pumps out, it will get generally favorable reviews because he's Scorsese. Aside from GoodFellas (deservedly so), it's such a consistent line it barely reflects the quality of each movie.

What's crazy about his consistently high reviews is this starts at After Hours (decent), so it doesn't even cover his early career when he was at his creative height (Mean Streets, Alice, Taxi Driver, Last Waltz, Raging Bull).

ymmv

Banned
BaronLundi said:
EfyDT.jpg

Brings a smile to my face.

That graph is a bit skewed because it leaves out Leon and Adèle Blanc-Sec and the downward curve is because of his crummy children's movies. What it also leaves out are his writing and producing credits. Besson had a big success with Taken as a writer and producer.

ymmv said:
That graph is a bit skewed because it leaves out Leon and Adèle Blanc-Sec and the downward curve is because of his crummy children's movies. What it also leaves out are his writing and producing credits. Besson had a big success with Taken as a writer and producer.

Yeah. Europacorp distributing the latest Malick also earns him good points as far as I'm concerned. Still it doesn't excuse all the turds he produced/directed/wrote and with which the French market, more than any other, was flooded with during the past 15 years.

I mainly just appreciate the fact that his last "movie" ends in a 0% rating. My personal graph for him as a director would be a very low flat line with two medium peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom