• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point |OT| Jiang Shi all up in Hong Kong

Salsa

large_image.jpg

Call it unnecesary but I want a place to discuss how this turns out properly. Starting it now!

----

After his girlfriend is kidnapped, Wei must fight through an invasion of hopping vampires, demons, and the ghosts of his past who are threatening to take over the city. Luckily, Wei has new moves and weapons at his disposal to make it through this nightmare.

Teaser Trailer

OUT NOW FOR $5

Steam Link

Santiako

After his girlfriend is kidnapped, Wei must fight through an invasion of hopping vampires, demons, and the ghosts of his past who are threatening to take over the city. Luckily, Wei has new moves and weapons at his disposal to make it through this nightmare.

Which girlfriend? Sandra? Not Ping? Tiffany? Ilyana? Other White Girl?

TheFallen

You can't call them, he bangs them and he dumps them.
No way...? That explains it. I went out with two girls and one said I was cheating after. Tried to go with Emma Stone's character after and nothing transpired once the date was over. Sounds like a waste of money to hire her for just that.

Nishastra

Banned
Not Ping, apparently. So Not Ping being the canon girlfriend confirmed. Which is fine by me, I always liked her the most out of the lot.
Okay. Not Ping as Wei's girlfriend moves this up to "buy immediately" for me :p

I was pissed when I found out that the dating was basically just an excuse to unlock something on your minimap and that you could never speak to any of them again afterwards. I was gonna go for Not Ping if it was an actual system :p

Reposting this in the OT to see if anyone else had this issue and has any suggestions. It's annoying where it made me want to stop playing for a while and I was really looking forward to this.

Anybody else having issues avoiding the zombie bites. Literally once they bite me I have no way to escape, I'm wiggling the left stick at like 100MPH and still nothing. Usually one or two bites and I'm dead cause I just can't escape. Not sure if it's a bug, or if I'm just having shit luck. This is on X360 version btw.

Fox318

The only thing that really bothered me about the game is that the girlfriend stuff was cool but kinda pointless.

You couldn't call a girl a second time.

Well I would, Wei Shen Motherfucker wouldn't though. At least that's the message they seemed to be trying to portray.

It was said in his talk with Peggy he had no intentions right now in settling down yet so i guess it was time to wild out.

Not Ping being seemingly canon is ok with me plus didn't she basically ended the breakup message with her asking him to call her (i.e she might not be over him just yet) LOLOL.

daxy

Will get this.

Anyone know how long this is? I dont imagine it will be all that lengthy.

Around two hours + another hour for all the extra missions from what I read.

Didn't expect this to be an entirely separate story. Would've been nice if I could keep all my upgrades. Also just realized how much face time made a difference.

Really great that the devs lowered this to €3,99 instead of just going 'oh it's 5 bucks so let's just make it 5 euros as well'.
For the PC lot, if you've got some spare credits floating around on Green Man Gaming or Gamersgate, it's up for purchase there too.

Mario007

Didn't expect this to be an entirely separate story. Would've been nice if I could keep all my upgrades. Also just realized how much face time made a difference.

Really great that the devs lowered this to €3,99 instead of just going 'oh it's 5 bucks so let's just make it 5 euros as well'.
Square has been very good in doing that with ff13-2 as well so at least there they are sensible.

Just beat it. 3,99 good spend euros if you ask me. Was a little fun trip
-2 and a half or 3 hours, depending if you do the sidequests.
-When you enter the game, it will ask if you want to play Nightmare in North Point or the Normal game, they are both different game modes, and the city changes (some billboards, all the citizens are possesed and some fight back, less car types) I havent tired to go to the other parts of the city, but I suppose you can, even if you cant do anything in them. Also you will only have one home base, the first one in the original game, that will open after you finished the intro.
-Maybe a little repetitive, its mainly fighting.
-Thers are like 5 normal missions that create the big one, just like the real game. You will fight
old enemies from the original game that have returned as ghosts, they all know now you were a cop a seek revenge
-Running missions, brawl missions and gun missions, you use the car very little, only to go from point to point.
-You dont buy things (apart from food with amazing pork bun zombie seller) and unlock cars and clothes doing sidequests, apart from the last object when you complete the dlc the clothes and cars are the same as in the original game. That objects unlocks also on the normal game.
-You dont have the yellow bar from the normal game, and the first mission is pretty tough in one part because of it. After the gathering some things you will have a new blue bar, its similar to the yellow one, but intead of frightening your enemies, you gain super streghth and some new cool finisher moves.
-After getting the blue bar the game turns easier, but you fight two new types of enemies, the spirits, that come in different colors and the demons, that cant be killed without having the blue bar full. They have some new moves like trying to sucks shen's blood.
-Theres a new (awesome) weapon.
a wooden sword that kicks spirit's ass
it will appear frequently, mostly when you kill the big demons.
-There are 10 new shrines to find in all north point (I just found 5). This shrines make shen when the blue bar is filled up to punch its enemies and burn them. Every shrine you find ups your probability to burn enemies. I just burned 1 in my whole walkthrough (having found 5 shrines), so I suppose it only occurs frequently if you find 10.
-There are 4 new achivements.
-Theres also new ingame achivements, in this mode wou cant do the old ones, so its only possible to get new medals with the new ones.
-The story is fun, and even if its not canon, its tied with the original story. So its better to beat the game first and the the dlc.
-And something some people will like, its always in rainy mood, so the streets have always the awesome shine they had when it rained in the original game.

I think thats all. Some screens I made (I think the texture resolution of the city is worse in this mode).

For the PC lot, if you've got some spare credits floating around on Green Man Gaming or Gamersgate, it's up for purchase there too.

Damn, I was hoping I could get full triad with this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Sounds good, thanks for the write-up. I've bought it, but wont be able to play until tomorrow. ~$5 for two-three hours of content sounds good to me. I'll churn out a video review when I've finished.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fun so far. Hungry/hopping ghosts and randomly exploding cars make me laugh. The new melee weapon is badass too. The DLC looks a little sharper on PS3 to me than the main game, unless I'm imagining things.

Naite

Just finished it. Doing all the main and side missions took me 90 minutes. All I have left to do is find the 10 Hell Money shrines (which there doesn't seem to be a way to unlock on your map until you find them) and the Gold Stat awards, which probably needs a 2nd playthrough.

Overall I enjoyed the DLC. It may be a bit too repetitive for it's shortness, but I still enjoy the combat as well as the new attack animations look great. Plus I was having fun trying to find which moves I could use to kill the jiang shi, like sliding over the table to kick them.

Salsa

Just finished it as well, took me a couple hours. Keep in mind that I did all the side stuff and got all the new shrines though (not like anyone wouldnt if they're paying for new content). One achievement away from being 100% on the game again so im gonna do that now.

Money well spent. It's obviously short but it's fun and just really bizarre and funny story-wise.

I wasnt a big fan of having to
throw the Jiang Shi into their power source to stop them from respawning
, but other than that it was a great little trip.

And the ending made me laugh out loud.

Yep, I also laughed with the final scene of the ending, I even captured a screen of it lol

Fun so far. Hungry/hopping ghosts and randomly exploding cars make me laugh. The new melee weapon is badass too. The DLC looks a little sharper on PS3 to me than the main game, unless I'm imagining things.

Ah yes, I forgot putting in the info the random exploding cars. That always made me smile when it happened after a cutscene or while talking to an NPC or fighting.

dreamfall

Will definitely get to this once I'm reunited with my beloved PC! GAH! It looks like a very unique take on North Point!

Top Bottom