• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Going through the recent forum posts on GMG, yes it is. Lesson learned, just don't ever pre-order from these boneheads. Sounds like on release day it is working swimmingly.

Except it's not. I just ordered it and the email I was sent doesn't contain a key, and the key area is empty for Sleeping Dogs in my GMG account.

Derrick01

Banned
Fucking bullshit.

From the extracts ive seen this review is filled with nothing but positives....8.5
It seems your game has to have some name behind it to score 9+, i know 8.5 is good....but if GTA4 can do 10 no way this cant score a 9.
What did they not like? (I refuse to give IGN any hits)

Im so tired of seeing reviews.....but so many people depend on them for purchases......everyone needs to buy this game if only to say thank you to Square for saving it from oblivion.

I wonder if GTA4 wasnt called GTA4 would it still have scored 10s?
Considering, Gunplay wasnt that good, Driving was a chore, fist-fighting was pointless the story was OK and the characters were amazing....but was it really a 10 out 10 game?

But GTA4 had an oscar worthy story. That's probably what pushed it over the edge.

vaelic

Banned
the grapics score from IGN dragged down it's overall rating

Click here for ratings guide
Presentation
Sleeping Dogs’ story is awesome, and it’ll keep you riveted. Load times are acceptable and menus are easy enough to navigate.
Graphics
You certainly won’t find a beautiful game with Sleeping Dogs, but it looks nice. It’s too bad that there are some texture loading issues and a poor draw distance, though.
Sound
You’ll be surprised how well Sleeping Dogs’ mixture of Chinese and English voice acting works. The ambient sounds of Hong Kong also shine through exceptionally well, as does its varied soundtrack.
Gameplay
Camera angles can get wonked-out while fighting and especially while driving. But melee combat and gunplay alike are still a lot of fun, and the driving is generally sublime.
Lasting Appeal
You’re looking at 20 or 25 hours to see, do and accomplish everything in the game, and more if you’re chasing a full Trophy list.

GMG pulled this same shit with Dead Island. :/

I remember getting the key maybe an hour after release. Not the same.

I also got an extra Dead Island key for some unknown reason (glitch?), which I reported and was told would be deactivated. However, no such thing happened so I just gave it to a friend.

Edit: Holy crap, I almost forgot about the noclip pre-release version! Hah. Good times.

Also, I don't usually do this but for those with Twitter, retweet this.

SLV

Can anyone gift it to me through steam ???? I got my paypal fired up, just need a paypal mail to enter. The price difference between 27 quid and 45 Euros is outrageous ! Can anyone help me out ? I will throw a quid or two for your efforts, i am desperate here ;_;

alterno69

Banned
Shenmue? Oh god, you're not making the wait any easier on me, it's downloading so slow over here, i'll be able to play it in about 3 hours, fucking 3 hours man.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
:) To be honest, I liked Velvet Assassin. Janky but very atmospheric.

On topic...The key situation really sucks.

Wasn't hating, merely drawing attention to the sheer irrelevance to the tweet (to this whole scenario a lot of us are in), and how they should maybe give a few words to their paying customers.

JoeBoy101

For the possibly interested, here is the Triad Enforcer DLC from the Steam Pre-Order:

HKShip2012-08-1411-50-16-19.jpg

Vaelic said:
Graphics
You certainly won’t find a beautiful game with Sleeping Dogs, but it looks nice. It’s too bad that there are some texture loading issues and a poor draw distance, though.

Umm... no. IGN must have their vaseline contacts on because if anything the graphics are fantastic. Seen no problem with textures or draw distance so far.

BTW, tried the game with a controller and it feels much more responsive. Maybe the shooting will have lock on, I hope.

Mrbob

Same here...just bought the game based off this thread from GMG but no key. Oh well, I'm sure they are working on it.

fushi

Found this while checking the properties of the game:

sd_qapblhy.png

Common occurence? First time I've seen it. Then again, I rarely buy games at launch.

Hawk269

Makes sense if you think about it. They fixed the problem for new purchases. Now they need to figure out where the problem was and address it.

And it's always harder to untangle a knot than to tangle.

And don't GMG usually give ya some free credit when shit fucks up?

I had like $20 of credit that I have no clue where I got them from.

Yes they do. I bought a game last year that I thought it was steam activated and it was not. I sent them an email and they pointed out where it clearly said it was not Steam, so it was basically my oversight, yet they still gave me a $15.00 credit.

This is the first time I had a problem with them though. I took the day off of work today to enjoy the game and yeah, no key so no game! Hope they fix this soon!

JoeBoy101

Two more things before I jump back into the game...

I love how as your character fights and what not, he'll get a bloody nose, dirty and generally look like he's been through hell. Clothes get dirty and wet too, but a trip back home gets you clean.

And a tip for the people starting, look for lockboxes for solid starting cash. They average $5000 a box.

Cheska said:
Textures and character models are not that great looking on the PS3 version..

I got the PC Version with the High Res Pack so that might be the disconnect.

pahamrick

Are GMGs forums down for anyone else? Was going to go there to see if there was any update...

Won't load for me either, I was just there about 10 minutes ago and there's been no update. Not a single moderator or staff member has commented.

I think I dodged that bullet because I decided to buy it a few days before it came out, so like people with this game they give out keys to most recent preorders first.

Preordered on the 9th, and haven't even gotten an email saying I should be expecting a key like I got with Darksiders 2.

Vossler

This is sounding better and better...too bad I'm broke right now and will have to wait. Will more than likely force myself to wait for the Winter Steam sale, but I do like what I am hearing/seeing. How big is the city itself? Is it Driver: San Fran style, or broken up like GTA?

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
This is sounding better and better...too bad I'm broke right now and will have to wait. Will more than likely force myself to wait for the Winter Steam sale, but I do like what I am hearing/seeing. How big is the city itself? Is it Driver: San Fran style, or broken up like GTA?

Cant speak of the scale, but it is one large island city, same deal as a GTA style game.

MapofSleepingDogs.png

Salaadin

I just went to United Fronts website to check them out. These are the guys that did Modnation and Little Big Planet Karting? I did NOT expect that.

I'm hoping the key will be available within the next few hours. Would love to remote download it so that it was done when I get off work.

Also, seeing Aberdeen on that map makes the Shenmue fanboy inside me giddy :)

Karak

Any consensus in regards to which console version is better? Im not sure what to pick it up for.

They are pretty identical though IGN reports some texture issues with loading on the PS3 that I didn't have on the 360 but I spent only a couple hours with the 360 version. Other than that, nothing huge to report really between the two.

Mr.Green

Any consensus in regards to which console version is better? Im not sure what to pick it up for.

I've heard the Wii-U version is killer.

I'm wondering that myself... Unless it's really screwed up, I'm probably going to pick it up on 360 based on controller preference.

Green Man Gaming forum user said:
So, I just called the support line (time here is 1211 EDT). All I could get was that the keys should be out tonight. I'm still not happy, but will give them one last chance before canceling for a refund.

Went from "afternoon" to "tonight" - Fuck it, I'm just buying it on Steam.

Amanda (Emma Stone) doesn't even look American. She looks Asian with blond hair and blue eyes. Were they trying to be lazy or is she supposed to be Asian American?

Top Bottom