• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

outsida

I've been keyed!!!! Thank the heavens. I'm off today so I wanted to dig into this last night and most of the day today.

What's shady? Because we got it 9 to 10 hours later which really means we got it in the morning? It's late at best but shady?

People are acting like they didn't get their key for a week.

I have had problems with them in the past as well. Like I said before, I am fine as long as I got the key today.

It is weird how people who bought the game today got keys right away. Also how GMG wasn't responding to the problem at all.

So now I probably won't be able to get a refund. Argh, guess I should have waited a little longer. I don't feel like I was too impatient, I ordered weeks ago, etc etc

Yeah. But saving $20 from a $50 game for about half day delay. Hmmmm.

I'm still on the fence if I'm gonna cancel my borderland 2 prepurchase. $36 is a hell of a good price and let's face it, there really is no good reason to preorder or get pc games at launch. Keys drivers bugs etc.

And I expect shit being worst next gen when games get more complicated.

Yup, I took a gamble and lost, but it will work out in the end. To me the savings was nice, but also I just felt really frustrated with the entire process. I will probably have to deal with it again with Dark Souls.

jrcbandit

Just got my key from GMG. First issue I've had with them, although I was not upset since I had Darksiders 2 to play. Hopefully, Borderlands 2 keys will go out in time when the preload starts... Is the HD texture pack out?

DagsJT

Any tips for unlocking via VPN? I tried one app but Steam still says "Preload suspended" and won't unlock.

Edit: Nevermind.

Can we create a separate PC thread? I dont know if that is against the rules or not, but I figure it would make sense to have one for this game so we dont muddy up the OT. I can, I'll make it.

Just got my key. Never ordering from GMG again.

This is boggling to me. They didn't rip you off, they got you the key 9.5 hours later than midnight, and you got the game for almost half off. But because of 9.5 hours, you'd rather spend almost full price for it? If you're so impatient, you could always pay full price on Steam and even then have no guarantee since Steam has screw ups too.

JohngPR

I just went to United Fronts website to check them out. These are the guys that did Modnation and Little Big Planet Karting? I did NOT expect that.

I know, crazy right? They also supposedly have some people that worked on Need For Speed and Burnout, so I'm hoping that the driving is at least fun.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Can we create a separate PC thread? I dont know if that is against the rules or not, but I figure it would make sense to have one for this game so we dont muddy up the OT. I can, I'll make it.
It should probably just be a PC performance thread, otherwise it's just going to be a copy/paste version of this one.

JohngPR

This is boggling to me. They didn't rip you off, they got you the key 9.5 hours later than midnight, and you got the game for almost half off. But because of 9.5 hours, you'd rather spend almost full price for it? If you're so impatient, you could always pay full price on Steam and even then have no guarantee since Steam has screw ups too.

I have to agree. It's fine to be annoyed, I get that. But it isn't like they were looking to rip people off. Hell, I got my key for DarkSiders II from them with plenty of time to preload.

I would take having to wait a few hours over paying a significant amount more for a game.

hlhbk

Never had a screw up with Steam minus the HL2 launch. Mind you I have over 300 games on Steam.

garath

Well I downloaded the game over lunch and got about 15 minutes to play it. Since I had already seen the intro I skipped all that.

I'm already hooked. The combat was fun and engaging and the voice actors are phenomenal. I'm already into the story. I'm really getting an Internal Affairs vibe from it.

I wish I could keep playing!

edit: Oh and the game ran at a pretty solid 60fps in the benchmark, only dipping once in awhile. This is with the settings at Medium and no HD pack (d/l'ing that now. It's another 4 gigs!)

i5
8gigs ram
GTX 460

But even at Medium, the game looked good. No issues here.

LobLob

Banned
Why not?

All purchases now get you the code.

Just the preorders that are fucked right now.

You defend GMG an awful lot. How can you defend them with, OH HEY, people who bought the game after it released get the keys right away but you know oh well, its a shame those who pre-ordered can't get their keys but GMG IS GREAT!!

LobLob

Banned

I have never had any problems with steam other then when you should expect it, during massive sales like the summer sale.

You defend GMG an awful lot. How can you defend them with, OH HEY, people who bought the game after it released get the keys right away but you know oh well, its a shame those who pre-ordered can't get their keys but GMG IS GREAT!!

It was an unfortunate mishap but I like GMG and every time I dealt with them, they have done a great job. GMG is great.

Salaadin

Damnit. I guess I cant download this at home while Im at work anyways.
I was able to log in from my work PC and activate the game but I guess that logged me out at home and now I cant access my home PC from Steams website to remote download.

So after all that shit with GMG, Im still not playing tonight :(

Chairhome

I didn't get a confirmation email at purchase, or an email when they added my key, but I just checked and my key is there! Probably won't be able to play till tomorrow, since I'm going to a concert an hour and a half away, but I'll initiate the downloads tonight. So excited!

LobLob

Banned
It was an unfortunate mishap but I like GMG and every time I dealt with them, they have done a great job. GMG is great.

Good job shitting all over everyone who had to wait for a key from them. Nevermind the fact that GMG is doing it's best to sweep this *unfortunate mishap* under the rug as well.

Mairu

Finally got my key from GMG... anyone know if it is possible to redeem a steam key through the browser? I'd love to download it at home while I'm at work :(

Good job shitting all over everyone who had to wait for a key from them. Nevermind the fact that GMG is doing it's best to sweep this *unfortunate mishap* under the rug as well.

How am I shitting over them? Accidents happen. It isn't that big of a deal. As others have said:

JohngPR

Damnit. I guess I cant download this at home while Im at work anyways.
I was able to log in from my work PC and activate the game but I guess that logged me out at home and now I cant access my home PC from Steams website to remote download.

So after all that shit with GMG, Im still not playing tonight :(

:(

It's only 5 gigs...how fast is your internet?

I pre-ordered the game on Steam with the Prima eGuide, but the prima guide is inactive. It still says "Sleeping Dogs Prima Guide Pre-Order" listed in my library right below the game, grayed out. Has the guide not been released yet? I'm also having problems accessing the eGuide for Darksiders II. This is the first time I've used Prima eGuides... and it's NOT a positive first impression. Can anyone corroborate these issues?

Salaadin

:(

It's only 5 gigs...how fast is your internet?

Its 5 GBs plus the 4GB high res pack.

The speed isnt the problem but Id rather not have it count towards my bandwidth cap. Im stuck with a 50GB limit during the peak hours, which is 5pm thru 12am. My workaround is to just download during the day so Ill do sleeping dogs tomorrow.

Think he had to wait as well. Is it weird to not really give a shit about not being able to play a game for a day?

And gmg already released a statement yesterday. What else do you want? 10 free games?

JohngPR

Its 5 GBs plus the 4GB high res pack.

The speed isnt the problem but Id rather not have it count towards my bandwidth cap. Im stuck with a 50GB limit during the peak hours, which is 5pm thru 12am. My workaround is to just download during the day so Ill do sleeping dogs tomorrow.

Ohhhh that sucks man. :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Minor MINOR gameplay spoiler

I love how the ways you go about upgrading stuff for your apartment is just running into shady people in alleys and stalls. No indicator. Not anything. I'm not being sarcastic. I think it's great.

Hawk269

I did not grab the screen shot of the bench, but on my 690 using everything to the max I get around 48fps on avg. THis is at 1080p and everything set as high as it can go and the hi-res textures. The game is only using one GPU and I had it set on V-Sync.

I re-ran the test putting the AA one notch below, everything else set to max and easily a solid 60fps without an issue. I found it interesting that GPU usage was in the 60-70% range and my GPU's boost did not go to the max up until the last sequence of the benchmark where it is inside of a building. Apparently that part of the demo is really demanding as my GPU usage shot up, gpu boost shot to the top and my power level toped at 124%!!!

Once SLI is supported, I can run this bad boy at 60fps with it set to the max, but running the bench using both max aa and the medium setting, I did not see too much of a difference. Of course it is a moving benchmark, so I am sure that there are differences, just like Witcher 2, to me it set to max with Uber looks a lot better than non-uber.

Now that I have the game configured...off to play!

saladine1

Holy shit.

Just discovered there is a button for holding the car door open. While driving. At speed.

Ouch.

At first, I thought it was for taking oncoming bikes out. Then found out it's used to ready yourself to leap out onto other moving cars!

A nice little touch is the in car radio controls. You change stations buy the traditional L and R D pad and you can also lower and raise the volume by holding down on them..

Once again, the combat is so fucking satisfying. I also love the fact that nearly every car has a tyre iron in the boot should you feel the need for some road rage..

So far really really digging it. Game looks phenomenal really, lively. However, is anyone else getting weird artifacting/grid-like overlay on the screen?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
boom first hard crash from ingame and not from a loading screen game is buggy on pc but its worth going through game is amazingly fun

KePoW

Banned
Once SLI is supported, I can run this bad boy at 60fps with it set to the max, but running the bench using both max aa and the medium setting, I did not see too much of a difference. Of course it is a moving benchmark, so I am sure that there are differences, just like Witcher 2, to me it set to max with Uber looks a lot better than non-uber.

I guess everyone has different visual tolerances. I did not think Uber in TW2 made much difference at all. Barely noticeable to me.

Same in Sleeping Dogs, the 'extreme' AA setting does not really look any different than 'high'. So why would I turn it on for lower framerates?

Claude

Catalina's bitch
What's up with the day 1 patch for the PS3 version? 346 MB in size.

Not a big deal, but is there anything significant included?

So far really really digging it. Game looks phenomenal really, lively. However, is anyone else getting weird artifacting/grid-like overlay on the screen?

Yeah, I got that too. It's from one of the shadow settings, the "ambient occlusion" or something like that. Turn that off and the strange filter should go away.

Grimsen

Bought the game on 360 during lunchtime. If any fellow Canadians have yet to get the game, Futureshop's promo is great. Traded two games for it, got a sleek steel case, and got a voucher for 20$ off any game 30$ and up in september. There were lots of copies on the shelf, it didn't seem like the game was moving much so far.

This afternoon is sooo slow.

Salsa

download paused in the middle of the night and it didnt even reach half, gah, will have to wait till I get home later

Top Bottom