• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

anddo0

Fuck this game crashes a lot on PC. Jesus christ.

Sometimes I wonder if PC gaming is worth it. Steam in particular. I think the corrupted files reside on their servers.

Has anyone tried a copy of the retail PC version?

I'm sick of making these compromises in order to get games to run on Steam.. Max Payne 3/Batman Ark City had to drop down to Dx9 to prevent crashes. Always have to delete some Dll, or rename some file or another. It's a real headache. If there's one advantage console gaming has. It's the absence of these debilitating bugs that render games unplayable out the box. I mean hell, I can't even surf the menus without the game crashing.. They need to patch this game, like yesterday.

haikira

So yeah. Throw me in as another positive vote.

Only spent a few hours on the PC version so far, but really digging it. Runs perfect with everything maxed out, except with AA on normal.

After the trailers and video reviews, went in expecting the story to be weaker than it is. While not as crazy, was expecting something closer to Just Cause 2/Saints Row in the sense that it just serves it's purpose and no more. But thanks to good characters and setup, I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Have a few nitpicks i won't bother listing, but overall i'm glad I randomly pre ordered it off GMG now. Was starting to think i was going to regret it.

Lulubop

Played for about two hours and I'm really loving it so far. Love the arcady feel of the driving, as well of the fluidity of the controls. Great soundtrack, fun combat and the game looks incredible on PC.

RiverBed

Banned
Ok, I just got the game and I've been playing non stop since 5 pm! (it is now 4:40 am). I love it.
Now, I have to ask; where should I go to progress the story? I have no more blue or green shields on my map. I did everything from chicken fight to 'borrowing' a yacht. Where should I go?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm four hours in. Done lots of side questing, roaming, and so on. Not a single crash yet.

One thing I will note though is that this is another one of those games where performance seems to degrade over time, eventually hitting a wall. It's not like a memory leak or anything where the game eventually crashes, but it's like...if I start the game at my apartment, the framerate is excellent. I play for awhile, do a bunch of shit, return to the same apartment at the same time of day and the framerate will be kind of spotty in that area despite nothing having changed. And, like all games like this, the problem can be 'solved' by simply alt tabbing out and back in again. In the above example if I alt tab out when back at my apartment, then alt tab in, it's like I've booted the game up fresh all over again. Silky smooth framerate and all.

I don't understand technology and programming enough to know why some games do this, but there it is. Far Cry 2 used to do it all the fucking time too on an older build.

RS4-

the fuck really?

but they ask for more ...

:|
They were basically there as a tutorial. I mean there's a chance I missed something if they're miss able by not calling them before x part of the story.

I expected more too.

RS4-

No, seriously, where should I go to progress the story? What is the icon on the map to follow?

Either green or blue. Open up your mini map, bottom left will say something like "quests available."

Just a reminder, if there's a quest that tells you to go to bed and the waypoint is pointing to your closet: make another save file and sleep on the right side of the bed (because the left side doesnt give you the prompt lol) This is one of the areas that fucked up my story progress.

Zaptruder

Banned
Other than a crash first time loading the game... it seems stable enough so far... *knocks on wood*.

Takes a bit of getting use to the camera floatiness and the jankiness of the animation/action system.

But once you do - a few hours of game time in, it seems pretty alright.

first, this game is great and runs beautiful on pc

couple things annoy me though, primarily the fact that the game keeps coming out of full screen mode. typically 3 or 4 times per game session. very annoying, especially since if its a cut scene going on I have to wait before I can set it back.

sometimes it "makes sense" like it occurs on a steam achievement (despite all my other games not doing this errors) but sometimes it exits full screen for no apparent reason

those with crashes, perhaps its related to this?

LiK

first, this game is great and runs beautiful on pc

couple things annoy me though, primarily the fact that the game keeps coming out of full screen mode. typically 3 or 4 times per game session. very annoying, especially since if its a cut scene going on I have to wait before I can set it back.

sometimes it "makes sense" like it occurs on a steam achievement (despite all my other games not doing this errors) but sometimes it exits full screen for no apparent reason

those with crashes, perhaps its related to this?

this only happened to me once when I first started a new game. I switched it back to full screen in Display options and it's fine. I still get the HKShip.exe crash message tho.

iNvid02

I'm four hours in. Done lots of side questing, roaming, and so on. Not a single crash yet.

One thing I will note though is that this is another one of those games where performance seems to degrade over time, eventually hitting a wall. It's not like a memory leak or anything where the game eventually crashes, but it's like...if I start the game at my apartment, the framerate is excellent. I play for awhile, do a bunch of shit, return to the same apartment at the same time of day and the framerate will be kind of spotty in that area despite nothing having changed. And, like all games like this, the problem can be 'solved' by simply alt tabbing out and back in again. In the above example if I alt tab out when back at my apartment, then alt tab in, it's like I've booted the game up fresh all over again. Silky smooth framerate and all.

I don't understand technology and programming enough to know why some games do this, but there it is. Far Cry 2 used to do it all the fucking time too on an older build.

replaying GTA IV and this just happens everywhere, maybe its to do with sandbox games i dunno

Maybe it has something to do with how the environment is loaded and cached for repeated use? As you are travelling a portion of the city will load, another portion you are far away from will get cached for speedy access later. The more time you spend playing, the more cached information is accumulated. Which in turn puts a strain on a CPU. But that doesn't explain the Alt-Tab trick.

You know what makes me sad with all this fighting comparisions, that nobody seems to have played Bully, because that what the fighting mechanics of this game are, (and are done by the same people). The Y button for counter attack is the only thing that really resembles batman. All the rest, from the grapling, to the punching and the finishers of the enviroment, including the life bar in the feet of the enemies, is from The Warriors/Bully.
And that makes it awesome.

Havent had a problem with crashes or framerates yet.

massoluk

Banned
Who the hell thought Karaoke Game with joystick was a good idea? Luckily I can skirt around it easily with keyboard control, but this can't be easy for PS3/360 crowd. :\

As with Skyrim. At least now I know to expect it when I get to play the game come Friday. I wonder if playing in windowed mode would prevent this from happening?

Bluforce

This evening there will be a demo on PS3 EU Store

Sleeping Dogs
PEGI: 18
Availability: Not available in Germany
File Size: 2454MB

Salaadin

Whats the total disk space taken up by this game on PC with the high res pack? Im at roughly 9GBs but the Steam site says 15GBs are required. Am I missing the textures or did steam just overshoot the specs?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
replaying GTA IV and this just happens everywhere, maybe its to do with sandbox games i dunno

Maybe it has something to do with how the environment is loaded and cached for repeated use? As you are travelling a portion of the city will load, another portion you are far away from will get cached for speedy access later. The more time you spend playing, the more cached information is accumulated. Which in turn puts a strain on a CPU. But that doesn't explain the Alt-Tab trick.

As with Skyrim. At least now I know to expect it when I get to play the game come Friday. I wonder if playing in windowed mode would prevent this from happening?

Yeah, happens a lot with sandbox games. And see, I thought that maybe it was the accumulation of data. But in order for alt tabbing to improve the framerate, you'd think it would clear that data. But nope. Game world, data, changes, etc all remain exactly the same, except the framerate is better.

Makes me think that rather than world data being stored (as in, changes you've made) it's simply an accumulation of assets and junk that the game decides to leave in the memory. Weird.

halogamer

Banned
This game is really amazing. My favorite game of this year so far. I think the driving is fine. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't feel like you've crashed into something when you go at high speeds. They didn't have to make Wei fly out instantly, but they could have increased the damage and the feedback from other objects. I also wish it displayed the name of the vehicles when you entered them on the street like in GTA4. It would have been cool if they allowed you to repair and upgrade your cars and store cars you find on the street in your garage.
Also that main menu theme and soundtrack <3

Derrick01

Banned

It happens with Bethesda games because they save item locations. So if you pick up some random jar in someone's house and move it the game has to save that.

Why it happens with these games I have no idea. I have an even worse understanding of tech than most.

Marleyman

Banned
I had a blast with this yesterday. I just ran into a cockfighting ring after doing one of the intitial side quests helping a lady
run her car into the river for insurance money
I think the camera for driving is wonky and prefer GTA IV's driving style so far. Radio stations are absolute shit; is there a way to just listen to my own music? I rank this up there with Just Cause 2 and GTA IV this gen and I am pumped to continue playing.

Dizzle24

Why can't I change clothes in my apartment? Not on a mission and the icon at the closet doesn't appear :/ 360 version.

Also, are the clothing shops only open during the daytime?

RS4-

Why can't I change clothes in my apartment? Not on a mission and the icon at the closet doesn't appear :/ 360 version.

Also, are the clothing shops only open during the daytime?

Try standing a bit farther back instead of right up to the closet.

They're open all day.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm just glad this game has a proper metal channel instead of whatever that shit was in GTA 4. Even though I'm not a huge fan of most of the bands on it I've at least heard of them and some of the songs.

Marleyman

Banned
I'm just glad this game has a proper metal channel instead of whatever that shit was in GTA 4. Even though I'm not a huge fan of most of the bands on it I've at least heard of them and some of the songs.

GTA 4 had LCHC, which was hardcore punk from the 80's and 90's. I can't stand metal usually so I don't particularly care for the Roadrunner channel in Sleeping Dogs. Most of the songs so far on all stations I hate; is there a way to listen to your own music?

Dizzle24

Try standing a bit farther back instead of right up to the closet.

They're open all day.

Icon isn't there at the closet when I walk towards it or anywhere near it :/ The Shirt flashes, but nothing happens when I walk to it.

The clothing stores must only be open during daytime, because at night, there's no one there at all.

Derrick01

Banned
GTA 4 had LCHC, which was hardcore punk from the 80's and 90's. I can't stand metal usually so I don't particularly care for the Roadrunner channel in Sleeping Dogs. Most of the songs so far on all stations I hate; is there a way to listen to your own music?

Yeah that channel was painful to listen to in GTA. Wasn't even music to me, just a bunch of loud random noises.

As far as listening to your own music I have no idea. I didn't notice a custom channel.

Arcteryx

Icon isn't there at the closet when I walk towards it or anywhere near it :/ The Shirt flashes, but nothing happens when I walk to it.

The clothing stores must only be open during daytime, because at night, there's no one there at all.

Are you sure you aren't on the
surveillance
mission? I didn't realize I had to go check my monitor, but I tried to change clothes/sleep/etc and nothing would work until I did that.

On another note: dicking around exploring is pretty fun in this game. I think I did only the first main mission and one of the cop ones, past that it's just been fighting/grinding shaolin monks, flirting with Amanda, and finding lockboxes in weird places.

And yea, the radio is awesome! Had to laugh as I was speeding on a bike to meet Amanda and The Who - Eminence Front came on.

Top Bottom