• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

ironcreed

Banned
I can't help but wonder what Gameinformer was smoking when they said that the controls were sometimes unresponsive in their review. I think the gampelay flows like liquid and feels great.

catabarez

I see what you did there. The game makes me feel a little uneasy when one of the two dudes tells me his cock is "the best". I don't need to know stuff like that.

My first pick was the black one because it seemed meaner.

What have I done?

Dyno

Played this game a couple hours with a friend. He spent time in Hong Kong and says the game reminds him of his old home, so that's well done.

The game does a lot, but everything suffers a bit as a result. The fighting is pure alpha code from Batman. The enviro-kills are blatent and they exist just to thin out the herd that attacks you. The driving is floaty like a cart game. The shooting, not entirely satisfying. Everything needs a bit more oomph. On a technical level, Saints Row is a step above this game. It's true.

The city is kind of empty. Everyone is yelling at you to buy something but there are nearly no merchants. It's like GTA IV, there is an open store every block or so. The other stores are just there for show. What keeps the game together so far is the voice acting and dialogue. They nailed the Hong Kong cop movie and though it's not a new story, they are telling it well.

If you love GTA and want Asian flavour then you will enjoy this. If you're coming at this wanting to play a really good game though, you may be left wanting.

-GJ-

My first pick was the black one because it seemed meaner.

What have I done?

Up7Ni.gif

Sleeping Dogs is great! I love the atmosphere in this game, the city feels ALIVE. There are a lot of NPCs on the street, the most i've seen in a sandbox game!

Gameplay feels good and the combat is satisfying. Hong Kong is a awesome vibrant setting! :)

Well done United Front Games! And thanks for reviving this game Square Enix! Activision can eat a dick...

This evening there will be a demo on PS3 EU Store

Sleeping Dogs
PEGI: 18
Availability: Not available in Germany
File Size: 2454MB

You are telling the truth?

I have the 360 version already but i would love to play a PS3 demo.

Dizzle24

Are you sure you aren't on the
surveillance
mission? I didn't realize I had to go check my monitor, but I tried to change clothes/sleep/etc and nothing would work until I did that.
Not on any active mission. I don't know. I'll check it out again tonight when I'm home.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I wonder if PC gaming is worth it. Steam in particular. I think the corrupted files reside on their servers.

Has anyone tried a copy of the retail PC version?

I'm sick of making these compromises in order to get games to run on Steam.. Max Payne 3/Batman Ark City had to drop down to Dx9 to prevent crashes. Always have to delete some Dll, or rename some file or another. It's a real headache. If there's one advantage console gaming has. It's the absence of these debilitating bugs that render games unplayable out the box. I mean hell, I can't even surf the menus without the game crashing.. They need to patch this game, like yesterday.

Still waiting for Sleeping Dogs to unlock but I never have these problems with Steam. I'd suggest it's more likely sloppy QA and/or an inability to replicate all of the PC setups out there. It's not like console games are perfect nowadays, viz Skyrim on PS3 and day 1 patches all over the place.

Marleyman

Banned
Played this game a couple hours with a friend. He spent time in Hong Kong and says the game reminds him of his old home, so that's well done.

The game does a lot, but everything suffers a bit as a result. The fighting is pure alpha code from Batman. The enviro-kills are blatent and they exist just to thin out the herd that attacks you. The driving is floaty like a cart game. The shooting, not entirely satisfying. Everything needs a bit more oomph. On a technical level, Saints Row is a step above this game. It's true.

The city is kind of empty. Everyone is yelling at you to buy something but there are nearly no merchants. It's like GTA IV, there is an open store every block or so. The other stores are just there for show. What keeps the game together so far is the voice acting and dialogue. They nailed the Hong Kong cop movie and though it's not a new story, they are telling it well.

If you love GTA and want Asian flavour then you will enjoy this. If you're coming at this wanting to play a really good game though, you may be left wanting.

I agree about the shooting and driving however this city blows Steelport from SR3 out of the water. There is much more to do in it.

Bluforce

You are telling the truth?

Apparently, no.

Comment number 168 on post of official PlayStation Blog:

"Posted on 15 August, 2012 at 3:30 pm by Jawad Ashraf
Sorry guys the following have been pulled from this week’s schedule:
Sleeping Dogs demo
Urban Chaos
Both should hopefully be out next week instead."

So, no Sleeping Dogs demo this week.

:(

EDIT: many regional EU official Blog (like the italian one) still have Sleeping Dogs demo listed in post:

Demo PS3 (Gratis)
Dragon’s Dogma Adventure Demo
Dimensione: 3519MB

Papo & Yo
PEGI: 12

Sleeping Dogs
Dimensione: 2454MB

Me sad :(

A lot of neat things about this game, but the most impressive got to be how fucking fast it takes to go from desktop to ingame. Barely any 'pre game messages' and initial load is less than 10 secs.

And is it just me or is shooting not too bad? I mean it isn't great, but guns sound ok and it isn't too hard.

And on a side note, anyone remember the hand to hand combat system of modern rockstar games? lol.

Batman has really bad and simplistic combat so I'm not sure how Sleeping Dogs is alpha code from that game considering it's a lot better

robot

Plan on starting tonight - quick question, is the gear to make your character look like Ryo available pretty quickly? I want to pretend I'm playing Shenmue 3.

Derrick01

Banned
Just had my first crash. Right after karaoke too, damn it.

Batman has really bad and simplistic combat so I'm not sure how Sleeping Dogs is alpha code from that game considering it's a lot better

There's no way this is better than Batman combat. He doesn't have half the combat abilities that Batman did.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The similarities between Sleeping Dogs and Batman consist of being an individual in group fights, with one button for attacking and another for counters. That's it.

The means of grappling, countering blocks, chaining together moves and using items is completely different.

legbone

I can't help but wonder what Gameinformer was smoking when they said that the controls were sometimes unresponsive in their review. I think the gampelay flows like liquid and feels great.

they were probably mashing. when i first started playing i was mashing. realized i was getting killed way too often. then i slowed it down and voila! like butter.

Don't know if you wanna play it on a laptop or big tv, but laptop would look and perform better.

I was going to either play it on the laptop screen or just connect it to my PS 3D Monitor or TV. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. So far, everyone is raving about it and I just wanted to see which way would be the best.

Did you guys play some alternate Batman game where the game doesn't autolock on nearby enemies (hence causing Batman to cover insane amounts of distance with only a single button press) and where timing is more or less the only thing you have to pay attention to.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did you guys play some alternate Batman game where the game doesn't autolock on nearby enemies (hence causing Batman to cover insane amounts of distance with only a single button press) and where timing is more or less the only thing you have to pay attention to.

Easier=more complex, obv

jtrov

Plan on starting tonight - quick question, is the gear to make your character look like Ryo available pretty quickly? I want to pretend I'm playing Shenmue 3.

Yup, you just need to do some side missions / favors (yellow icons on mini-map) to level up your face to level two. It's sold in one of the clothing stores on the upper section of the city map. I don't know if the rest of the outfit is sold in the same store, but it's where I bought the jacket.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The similarities between Sleeping Dogs and Batman consist of being an individual in group fights, with one button for attacking and another for counters. That's it.
Seriously. You might as well say it's Prototype or Assassin's Creed if you're going to that as your baseline.

JohngPR

I love some of the random crap that can happen....it's one of the things I love about open world games:

There are these side missions where you have to tap into these cameras to catch criminals slinging drugs but you have to beat up the gang dudes that are around the panel you need to get to in order to hack into the camera.

These are spread out throughout the city so it can take a few mins to drive to one of them. So I get one of my cars from my garage and make the trek to one of them.

There were 10 guys there or so and I beat the shit out of 6-7 of them and the other 3-4 got scared and started running away....two of them hopped into my car and took off, leaving me with no ride....as I saw them drive off in my car, it started pouring rain....it was pretty funny.

:p

Also, nobody photo bombs Wei's photos....NOBODY.

ttocs

After meeting a hostess named Tiffany and singing Karaoke with her, then taking pictures of an American chick on a date that involved no fighting or killing, etc. I was hooked. It's the little things that set this game apart and I love it.

Derrick01

Banned
Why does this game look so ridiculously good when it's raining at night? What kind of lighting trick are they using?

I have no idea how to spend all this money. I have almost 400k now.

Yeah I was already close to 200k (I did a lot of favors and cop stuff) so I just went and bought some fast car for 80k. So far this is running into GTA syndrome, all this money and nothing really worthwhile to spend it on.

Looks like this game is finally the one that gets me to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7. Damn thing doesn't support DX9. Sigh, what a mission reinstalling my entire hard drive will be.

Guess it's got to be done, though. I passed on Battlefield 3, which also required at least Vista or 7, but open world Hong Kong crime drama sounds too sweet to pass up.

robot

Yup, you just need to do some side missions / favors (yellow icons on mini-map) to level up your face to level two. It's sold in one of the clothing stores on the upper section of the city map. I don't know if the rest of the outfit is sold in the same store, but it's where I bought the jacket.

awesome, thanks

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's something about the movement... like it has some really weird animation priority going on that feels weird to me.

Loving this game so far though. Just running around tackling people is dumb fun.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I was giggling like a little kid while playing this last night, running around slamming people's heads into walls. There's been a couple times when I got careless and really got my ass kicked though.

But this really does make beating the shit outta people a lot of fun!

Soi-Fong

So far I've had two crashes one after another and I'm not sure why. The game would just freeze and I'd have to do a hard reset.

Edit: Was fine up until Tiffany gave me the gun at Bam Bam Club.

Sober

The means of grappling, countering blocks, chaining together moves and using items is completely different.
There are quite a few moves to chain at the start, they just don't spell it out for you except for "you can chain up to 5 light and one heavy attack". You will unlock more moves and functionality for older moves later.

Not to mention you can combine sprint + grapple/attack from the start, so you end up doing a tackle or you can flying kick some fool. There's more than just "press X to jab, hold X to kick".

AkuMifune

Banned
Entering the fighting competition near the martial arts school and throwing every competitor over the railing was the most fun I've had with the game so far. So satisfying.

Sorry Sifu, I just killed all your students. But I'm still an honorable man.

speaking of which, what does buying stuff for your apartment do? I kinda hoped for some buffs if you sleep on a good bed with a/c in the room or something.

ttocs

speaking of which, what does buying stuff for your apartment do? I kinda hoped for some buffs if you sleep on a good bed with a/c in the room or something.

I'm still early in the game but I see it as a novelty. So far, I've bought a new bed and a pet bird in a cage. Haven't found anything else yet.

Top Bottom