• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonay

Banned
Truespeed said:
2n6yli9.jpg

That looks like 123 Fake Street.

Someone post me the 'leaked' picture please? I will send you a picture of myself in return.

Truespeed

Sentry said:
I know, didn't get what he was even saying though. :lol

Was it really that hard to figure out? That pawn shop image, regardless of its authenticity, exceeds the photoshop from which it was based on. Amazing how identical they both are, isn't it?

LegoDad

Somnia said:
80gb is still active, 160gb is not in our systems. Again this just points to what the warehouses have in stock for companies.

I can tell you from prior research the Best Buy's Warehouse is out of 80gb's, my informant had to get some sent from another district to fulfill his needs.. And the 160gb's are good as can be, though still no indication of the 80gb being discontinued yet, only a vendor constraint on them...

dolemite

Egmont said:
shawshank2.gif

"NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"
Seriously, why all the concern about BC? There are no new PS2 games getting released that are worth buying and the PS3 release schedule is "just warming up" before the big bang of Uncharted 2, God of War III, FF XIII, and GT5.

DiGi-C

Banned
Belive!!! (Beisdes, would be handy for people like me who regretably never played a PS2 propperly, got a cheap copy of FF X, X2 and XII to be played :D)

Machado

dolemite said:
Seriously, why all the concern about BC? There are no new PS2 games getting released that are worth buying and the PS3 release schedule is "just warming up" before the big bang of Uncharted 2, God of War III, FF XIII, and GT5.

I have no ps2 at the moment...yet I want to play/replay some games I haven't had the chance and I do not want to buy 2 consolesI know that's 100 dollars but I'd prefer to still pay those $100 and get BC in one machine...plus other benefits

Egmont

Neo Member
dolemite said:

Well, for me it's certainly no deal-breaker like it is for a lot of people, but...

I mean, you gotta admit-- it'd be a pretty nice thing to have, even if you don't use it all that much. There are some damn good PS2 games.

offshore

BC will likely come back for PS2 titles purchased from PSN rather than disc based BC.

Some could even be upgraded/tweaked to run better, as they'll probably need to be recoded anyway to run on the PS3.

noah111

Still Alive
dolemite said:
Pretty much what I said, I understand that people might like to play an old classic now and again, but by now any of those good games are many years old and have more than likely been played to hell already, let go dammit!!

Truespeed said:
Was it really that hard to figure out? That pawn shop image, regardless of its authenticity, exceeds the photoshop from which it was based on. Amazing how identical they both are, isn't it?
Yeah, basically. :lol

dolemite said:

I loved BC on my 60 gig PS3. The PS2 library is so huge and there are plenty of games that I still want to go back and experience. I currently don't have a PS2 so having everything bundled into one purchase was perfect.

I've just recently picked up some new SMT games, I've yet to play through all of Shadow of the Colussus and I still want to go back and play my 2D fighting games for PS2.

dolemite said:

I have a lot of PS2 games I know and love, and now I can't play them. My old PS2 died so I bought a 60 gig PS3. Two years later that died, and now I have nothing to play those games on.

dolemite

Tkawsome said:
I have a lot of PS2 games I know and love, and now I can't play them. My old PS2 died so I bought a 60 gig PS3. Two years later that died, and now I have nothing to play those games on.
So what's gonna happen if there is no BC in the new Slims?

Massa

Tkawsome said:

You could have them fixed?

dolemite said:

I turn off my lights and weep.

In all seriousness I'm hoping for software BC, if it's at all possible. I currently have an 80 gig, and the only way I'm getting a slim is if my current PS3 breaks down, or is at risk of breaking down (I'm under warranty). I can't imagine them putting hardware BC into the Slim anyway.

Massa said:
You could have them fixed?

My PS2 was beyond repair. It was a launch console, got it fixed when the DRE's started for free, and a couple of years back it broke down again. I looked up how to fix it online, got it working again for a couple of months, and then it died again. Instead of paying to repair it, I just sprung for a PS3. A couple of months ago that died as well, Best Buy warranty doesn't repair consoles, instead they just send it to Sony and give you a new PS3 off the shelf.

panda21

i'd love to see software ps2 BC and downloads. mainly for the ps2 rpgs i never played like FFXII and persona.

although for the majority of ps2 games i have no interest, since there has already been much better stuff this gen anyway. only things that are missing on ps3 so far like traditional rpgs and ico games.

Massa

Tkawsome said:
My PS2 was beyond repair. It was a launch console, got it fixed when the DRE's started for free, and a couple of years back it broke down again. I looked up how to fix it online, got it working again for a couple of months, and then it died again. Instead of paying to repair it, I just sprung for a PS3. A couple of months ago that died as well, Best Buy warranty doesn't repair consoles, instead they just send it to Sony and give you a new PS3 off the shelf.

Just contact Sony yourself, they'll either fix your console or give you a refurb with BC.

It's not free but it's cheaper than buying a new one.

elrechazao said:
Because it's totally niche and costs sony more money at a time they need to cut the price.

If its software based, which the patents are for, then its very little cost since the initial R&D has been done. Once the software is wrote, every PS2 game sold from the store is profit.

Galvanise_ said:
If its software based, which the patents are for, then its very little cost since the initial R&D has been done. Once the software is wrote, every PS2 game sold from the store is profit.

Yes, and if they do that, sell ps2 games direct download, you think they will want to expand free backward compatibility in the hardware so that people can pay 8 bucks at gamestop instead of 19 on psn?

elrechazao said:
Yes, and if they do that, sell ps2 games direct download, you think they will want to expand free backward compatibility in the hardware so that people can pay 8 bucks at gamestop instead of 19 on psn?

I'm of the belief that the software BC will be soley for titles bought from the Playstation Store. That way they can prepare each PS2 game downloaded in a certain way that will allow it to be seen as what you are playing on the PSN friends list, have in Game XMB for them etc. If I were Sony, thats how I would do it. Screw the non-early adopters. If you want to play PS2 games, buy them from the store!

Muhahahaha!

elrechazao said:

It's possible to do both. Why not give them the ability to play the games they already own and allow them to buy new ones through PSN? There are plenty of PS2 games I'd buy off PSN, since good games are hard to find in the used section.

dolemite said:

IMO it is nearly impossible that PS2-BC returns exclusively to the Slims. They won't put the PS2 Chip(s) back in the PS3, because they increase the production-costs with not many people using it and having a console out which can do that anyway (PS2), if you really want to play PS2 games (yes I know, PS3 BC > PS2 on an HDTV, memory cards, 2 systems etc. I have a PAL BC-PS3 myself).
IF it returns in the lifespan of the PS3, it should be a software solution for everyone. The mentioned PS2 games on PSN could be a possibility, too.
Achieving full software PS2 BC could take them some time, I would think integrating it into the PS3 could confront them with more hurdles so maybe they will just wait for the PS4. At least Sony gave a heads-up so you could buy a BC PS3 instead of someone who don't care about BC.

FYI, I ordered SotC and Yakuza 2 this week. :p

Egmont

Neo Member
I dunno. I think a lot of people with large PS2 libraries would be pretty upset if they made everyone re-purchase games on PSN that they wanted to play instead of letting them use their own discs.

Tkawsome said:
It's possible to do both. Why not give them the ability to play the games they already own and allow them to buy new ones through PSN? There are plenty of PS2 games I'd buy off PSN, since good games are hard to find in the used section.

Money? It would be nice if they did that, but everyone has wondered all gen why sony hasn't charged out with a ton of downloadable ps2 games when the market is so clearly there. I wouldn't be shocked if the slim helps engineer that.

Egmont said:
I dunno. I think a lot of people with large PS2 libraries would be pretty upset if they made everyone re-purchase games on PSN that they wanted to play instead of letting them use their own discs.

We're not talking about taking away current BC, only that going forward the slims won't have the feature, leading to more psn ps2 titles for sale. Not that they'd patch out existing BC.

Yes, all conjecture.

Machado

they should just allow DL and phisical copy games to be played (ps2 games of course)...see, they could sell them cheap on the store (which would be great for me siincee I live in the shittiest country and very hardly find games like ico) and allow me to play a disk game that I biught for cheap and maybe it's not released in the psn or may never be released...

elrechazao said:
Money? It would be nice if they did that, but everyone has wondered all gen why sony hasn't charged out with a ton of downloadable ps2 games when the market is so clearly there. I wouldn't be shocked if the slim helps engineer that.

I can't imagine them making that much money off double dipping. If they're worried that people will just go to Gamestop instead of buying it on PSN, then they should put up good games. Most of the used games in those stores are either launch titles or old sports games, and if you are lucky enough to find a good game it will most likely cost more then it would on PSN.

Tkawsome said:
I can't imagine them making that much money off double dipping. If they're worried that people will just go to Gamestop instead of buying it on PSN, then they should put up good games. Most of the used games in those stores are either launch titles or old sports games, and if you are lucky enough to find a good game it will most likely cost more then it would on PSN.

There's a market for it, just look at the xbox with the games on demand. Probably not lighting the world on fire with sales of old xbox games, but the option exists, and they get all the money for the sale. Sony not doing it more seems a bit dumb is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom