• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Hey I wanted to ask a quick question. There's tons of pages of discussion so this would be hard to substantiate my answer, but is there actually any good proof of backwards compatibility returning? Or is this just very hard wishful thinking on the part of GAF. All I remember is those patents a little while ago, but I don't know how telling that actually is.

Machado

erlim said:
Hey I wanted to ask a quick question. There's tons of pages of discussion so this would be hard to substantiate my answer, but is there actually any good proof of backwards compatibility returning? Or is this just very hard wishful thinking on the part of GAF. All I remember is those patents a little while ago, but I don't know how telling that actually is.

there's always hope...and when all hope is lost there's a $99 solution

Hazelhurst

erlim said:

All signs point to software BC via firmware update. Sony's motivation for this will be to sell PS2 games through the PSN.

Crisis

Banned
BenjaminG said:
I am happy to let people know what I know, when it doesn't endanger my job. Is that so fucking hard to understand? I am here because I want to be here and like to share. But those of you who are more needy, need to understand that you are owed nothing. I could see how attitudes here could turn off other people with information to share. Pretty disappointing guys.

That said, here's one tidbit that I can share, and let it be testament to my legitimacy when its finally announced. PSP GO, Aus pricing. $449 including GT PSP download code.

Now, more when I can.

You know posts like this really make me kind of miffed. You came in here spouting "insider newz". Nobody asked you to sign up at GAF. Certainly nobody here asked you to risk your job to sign up for GAF and post said "insider newz". So when you come here and do all of those things and then jump people because they don't take the word of a junior member with no proven track record at face value it kind of rubs me the wrong way. If you think we're owed nothing then please understand that you aren't owed anything either. You're certainly not owed the benefit of the doubt even if you are right. If you are correct then I'm glad that we have someone else on the board that can verify stuff or be a credible source on things. But until then please do everyone a favor and get off your high horse and stop acting like King Shit Lord of all Turd Mountain.

BenjaminG

Banned
Crisis said:
But until then please do everyone a favor and get off your high horse and stop acting like King Shit Lord of all Turd Mountain.

Very reasonable. You have missed my point. I'm here cause I like games and I like gaming. Where I can I also enjoy telling people stuff they might not know. However, I do like eating, and yknow generally eeking out a living. So I will reveal what I can and will learn in time to not give a fuck what people say.

Anyways.

OK guys, we still *officially* have a gag order until Wed morning Aus time. By this time the conference will be over. Whatever.

At close of business today, I will reveal the price. I don't mean to cocktease, but its probably something I shouldn't reveal, but will do so. I know I shouldnt have to explain myself, but I would like to limit the time before official reveal so as to lessen the likelihood of getting into trouble (ie by the time 'they' know, it will be official so its like 'who cares').

Look, in Australia we aren't told everything. I haven't seen any official pictures of the slim. I know for a fact that lower level reps haven't seen them either. I am told that backwards compatibility is not happening. This could change, and I really want to believe it myself. I also enquired as to the availability of rear USB ports and this is not known.

Ok, 4 and a half hours time.

dolemite

BenjaminG said:
OK guys, I still have a gag order until Wed morning Aus time.

At close of business today, I will reveal the price. I don't mean to cocktease, but its probably something I shouldn't reveal, but will do so. I know I shouldnt have to explain myself, but I would like to limit the time before official reveal so as to lessen the likelihood of getting into trouble (ie by the time 'they' know, it will be official so its like 'who cares').

Look, in Australia we aren't told everything. I haven't seen any official pictures of the slim. I know for a fact that lower level reps haven't seen them either. I am told that backwards compatibility is not happening. This could change, and I really want to believe it myself. I also enquired as to the availability of rear USB ports and this is not known.

The price of the Slim, not the price of the discounted Phat, I presume?

Machado

BenjaminG said:
Very reasonable. You have missed my point. I'm here cause I like games and I like gaming. Where I can I also enjoy telling people stuff they might not know. However, I do like eating, and yknow generally eeking out a living. So I will reveal what I can and will learn in time to not give a fuck what people say.

Anyways.

OK guys, we still *officially* have a gag order until Wed morning Aus time. By this time the conference will be over. Whatever.

ok explain this now...pm me is you must but start rolling out the info

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
BenjaminG said:
OK guys, I still have a gag order until Wed morning Aus time.

hmmm....

erlim

Hazelhurst said:
All signs point to software BC via firmware update. Sony's motivation for this will be to sell PS2 games through the PSN.

Yeah can somebody run down the signs to this real quick? I think a lot of people were saying that those patents don't necessarily mean ps2 bc is on the way. Also all the sites that said bc returning were small non-reputable sites. Is there anything substantial that says BC is coming back?

edit: plus that benjaminG guy says it's not coming back. I am pretty skeptical about this.

VegaShinra

erlim said:
Yeah can somebody run down the signs to this real quick? I think a lot of people were saying that those patents don't necessarily mean ps2 bc is on the way. Also all the sites that said bc returning were small non-reputable sites. Is there anything substantial that says BC is coming back?

edit: plus that benjaminG guy says it's not coming back. I am pretty skeptical about this.
Everyone is basing this on that patent Sony filed a while back. Nothing else has been said, though. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it gives people hope.

Truespeed

erlim said:

I can see no other reason, for emulating the EE on a PS3, other than to play PS2 games on it. Regardless of whether or not it's announced at GamesCon, it's on its way.

Crisis

Banned
BenjaminG said:

Good work at selectively quoting and cherry picking an argument and pretending that I didn't write anything else.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
VegaShinra said:
Everyone is basing this on that patent Sony filed a while back. Nothing else has been said, though. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it gives people hope.

Based on what was discussed on podcasts like ListenUp, they speculated that the patent is merely for the future release of PS2 games on PSN but I'm hoping that it's full BC on all models. I really want to put my 60GB away, have my 40GB Hagane for my JPN games and get a new supposed Slim for the future.

Truespeed said:
I can see no other reason, for emulating the EE on a PS3, other than to play PS2 games on it. Regardless of whether or not it's announced at GamesCon, it's on its way.

The EE is already emulated in all BC PAL units and the "partially compatible" US 80GB units. The EE was never the problem: the Graphics Synthesizer is.

erlim

Dragona Akehi said:
The EE is already emulated in all BC PAL units and the "partially compatible" US 80GB units. The EE was never the problem: the Graphics Synthesizer is.

So am I getting this right---there's no evidence of graphic synthesizer emulation, but people are claiming Sony must be bringing PS2 BC for PS3 at least in the form of select titles on PSN?

erlim said:
So am I getting this right---there's no evidence of graphic synthesizer emulation, but people are claiming Sony must be bringing PS2 BC for PS3 at least in the form of select titles on PSN?

I have no comment about PSN PS2 titles or otherwise. I'm merely speaking in technical terms: BC was dropped because the GS was impossible to emulate. That EE emulation patent (as with every other patent which gets huge hype for) was ancient and actually put to use before it was even "discovered" by fans.

Truespeed

Dragona Akehi said:

There was another patent for the GS emulation discovered not too long ago.

ps2_on_ps303_m.png

erlim

Dragona Akehi said:
I have no comment about PSN PS2 titles or otherwise. I'm merely speaking in technical terms: BC was dropped because the GS was impossible to emulate. That EE emulation patent (as with every other patent which gets huge hype for) was ancient and actually put to use before it was even "discovered" by fans.

I can't believe people are talking ps2 bc like it's a done deal then. That stinks, I was hoping for some quality evidence that it was coming back. I think the ps3 owners or prospective owners should voice their desire for some sort of ps2 emulation.

edit: so that above patent is definitely a patent for graphic synthesizer emulation? (I have no idea what that diagram means...)

Prezhulio

Truespeed said:
There was another patent for the GS emulation discovered not too long ago.

ps2_on_ps303_m.png

woah i had not seen that, must of not been paying attention on the 3rd. i remember seeing the speculation a couple months ago with the EE patent that recompilative techniques could be used to emulate the gs rather than the argument about the vertex shader pipeline limitation on the rsx vs the gs, but this is encouraging. awesome.

WTFing

Banned
erlim said:
I can't believe people are talking ps2 bc like it's a done deal then. That stinks, I was hoping for some quality evidence that it was coming back. I think the ps3 owners or prospective owners should voice their desire for some sort of ps2 emulation.
Nice post, but I don't care at all about PS2 emulation. I want a 40€ maximum price for my PS3 games. Anything else, 299€ or 199€ for a PS3 console, I don't care because I already have one.
69€ for a game is too much. Games are too expensive.
Now it seems that they are making an effort about their hardware price. I hope that their next move will be about the game price (I know it will not happen).

BenjaminG

Banned
Machado said:
ok explain this now...pm me is you must but start rolling out the info

My main contact is a sales rep, whose main interest is selling PS3 and PSP consoles, and as such doesn't give a shit what is contained in a firmware upgrade, apart from the fact that I am sure there is a lot that is kept from him. However, I specifically asked and he said "No, its not happening". Again, as I say, I want to believe, but as of right now, this is the official word.

Sorry I cant tell you what we all want to hear.

BenjaminG said:
My main contact is a sales rep, whose main interest is selling PS3 and PSP consoles, and as such doesn't give a shit what is contained in a firmware upgrade, apart from the fact that I am sure there is a lot that is kept from him. However, I specifically asked and he said "No, its not happening". Again, as I say, I want to believe, but as of right now, this is the official word.

So you're a retail level employee who has no real inside contacts. Please stop claiming you do.

VegaShinra

BenjaminG said:

So all you know for sure is that the Slim is coming and you'll know the price in the relative future.

Raist

Banned
VegaShinra said:
So all you know for sure is that the Slim is coming and you'll know the price in the relative future.

Exciting, isn't it?

So basically, like some of us for the past 3 months :p

edit: beaten :'(

Just realised Mr G replied to a post of mine saying - get ready to buy - after I said I would buy the PS3 if it was $499au. Hope your sales rep is reliable ;) My tax return will be coming this week too...

Benedict

The Swedish store Discshop.se has caught on with the hype.
You can now get more information about the release when they get more information...

Translation from the site:

After a lot of rumors there now really seems to come a small version of PS3 this autumn.
Sign up now for coverage so you won't be without one when we open up for pre-bookings..

More information will follow as soon as we have more confirmed about the new smaller Playstation 3 machine

Sorry, but the hotel I am at won't let me copy images so just follow the link.

erlim

WTFing said:
Nice post, but I don't care at all about PS2 emulation. I want a 40€ maximum price for my PS3 games. Anything else, 299€ or 199€ for a PS3 console, I don't care because I already have one.
69€ for a game is too much. Games are too expensive.
Now it seems that they are making an effort about their hardware price. I hope that their next move will be about the game price (I know it will not happen).

I meant to say fans that desire to have this function back. But regardless, I think it's a feature worth at least having as an option if they are going to have multiple SKUs on the market. See I know the counter argument for having BC is always that it's "not worth it" that I can get a ps2 slim for $99. I mean to add fuel to the fire I could buy a used ps2 fat for $60. That's the price of one PS3 game. Of course I can afford that. But I don't live in a very big place. I have a ps3 and a wii hooked up to my 40" samsung lcd tv, and ONLY those two things. I don't want to purchase and hook up an entirely new system with wired controllers. Can you argue that there is a great deal of convenience in having a ps3 play ps2 games? Being able to switch formats on the fly? I know I personally have dozens of ps2 games that I would gladly replay if I could. Why should my only choice as a consumer be to overpay for a used system on ebay?

Edit: Furthermore, I don't think having ps2 emulation in ps3 or ps2 chipsets or whatever needs to be done to affect ps2 discs playing in a ps3 has anything do with the price of ps3 games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Crisis said:
Good work at selectively quoting and cherry picking an argument and pretending that I didn't write anything else.

I don't get this. He's an Australian retail employee - he has stated this. But apparently he has signed both a gag order and an NDA.

He also edited an earlier post after sixthaxis linked to it as a rumor. And edited it to give sixthaxis a little lecture about linking to his post.

Since when did Sony have individual retail employees signing gag orders and NDAs? Is this some new retail thing I don't know about? And why has he ONLY ever posted in this thread and nowhere else?

Obviously both a new PS sku and a new price are coming, but this weirdo australian innuendo is bizarre and lame, even if it's "true" which at this point is just a chronological semantic.

BenjaminG

Banned
VegaShinra said:

I know the price. I previously said I would reveal it tonight.

$499. With some added value, this will be a game. In October, this game will be "Uncharted 2". I actually don't know if it will launch at this price point with a free game, but I expect this to be the case.

Stock should be arriving into stores on, or around September 1st, with an official launch on the 2nd or 2rd. However, my understanding is we can sell when stock arrives.

BenjaminG said:
I know the price. I previously said I would reveal it tonight.

$499. With some added value, this will be a game. In October, this game will be "Uncharted 2". I actually don't know if it will launch at this price point with a free game, but I expect this to be the case.

Stock should be arriving into stores on, or around September 1st, with an official launch on the 2nd or 2rd. However, my understanding is we can sell when stock arrives.

No offense, but what's the point of having "insiders" around anyway? Just let Sony announce stuff when they want to. Even if your info is correct, we won't know it's correct until Sony's official announcement anyway, so what's the point? Even "insiders" with good track records (such as the Ars mole) are doubted and their info are considered speculation/rumor. So can we just let Sony do their stuff and keep the "insider info" to yourself? Why deflate everyone's bubble by leaking everything ahead of time?

vicissitudes said:
No offense, but what's the point of having "insiders" around anyway? Just let Sony announce stuff when they want to. Even if your info is correct, we won't know it's correct until Sony's official announcement anyway, so what's the point? Even "insiders" with good track records (such as the Ars mole) are doubted and their info are considered speculation/rumor. So can we just let Sony do their stuff and keep the "insider info" to yourself? Why deflate everyone's bubble by leaking everything ahead of time?

Oh come on. Leaks are fun. We want our info NOW!

I, personally, am gracious for this info a day or two early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom