• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so we've accepted the slim as inevitable, and we're resurrecting the 'PS2 BC' patent/software rumour just to give us something to be disappointed about tomorrow? Come on GAF, lets just relax and enjoy the show.

Shambles

When the PS2 slim was released how did it fit into the pricing scheme with the existing fat model that they were trying to clear out. Did they price the slim at the old price and gave the old fat style a price cut until the fats were gone?

sun-drop said:
i'm conflicted ..i have a launch PAl 60GB unit with a store warrenty till april 2010 ready to put up for sale online the moment this slim is anounced.

i've played my fill of the ps2 classics, so B/c runs a distant 2ned to silent/cool running and piece of mind re any more YLOD issues.

i should be able to upgrade for almost no cost if the demand for B/C is still there in the market ... so yeh ...kinda hope slim doesn't have b/c, out of the gate at least.

do i put it online now and get a jump on any price drop ..risking being console less if they don't anounce it?? ..i'm gonna wait till the conference.

Take the cash...

If they announce BC your 60GB will be worthless....

MY 40GB has always been silent.

Also, this is Sony not MS... their hardware failure rate is nothing like as bad. A friend of mine had a noisy launch 60GB and called sony... within two days a courier arrived with a new 60Gb unit and took the old one away. he even got a courtesy call to check it was all ok..

i would sell up with confidence my friend.

Egmont

Neo Member
NinjaFusion said:
Take the cash...

If they announce BC your 60GB will be worthless....

MY 40GB has always been silent.

Also, this is Sony not MS... their hardware failure rate is nothing like as bad. A friend of mine had a noisy launch 60GB and called sony... within two days a courier arrived with a new 60Gb unit and took the old one away. he even got a courtesy call to check it was all ok..

i would sell up with confidence my friend.

I second this. Your value is much higher now than it will be in a couple of days; there are many more people who don't know about the Slim now than there will be very soon.

Worst case scenario, you'll have to wait a couple of months until you can play PS3 games again, if the plethora of slim rumors we've been hearing are somehow completely false.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I am here on official business for tomorrows events.

erna5w.jpg

:lol

sun-drop said:
i'm conflicted ..i have a launch PAl 60GB unit with a store warrenty till april 2010 ready to put up for sale online the moment this slim is anounced.

i've played my fill of the ps2 classics, so B/c runs a distant 2ned to silent/cool running and piece of mind re any more YLOD issues.

i should be able to upgrade for almost no cost if the demand for B/C is still there in the market ... so yeh ...kinda hope slim doesn't have b/c, out of the gate at least.

do i put it online now and get a jump on any price drop ..risking being console less if they don't anounce it?? ..i'm gonna wait till the conference.

Sell.

dolemite

It looks like the "industry insider" got disposed of like a used hooker:lol
That $499 price is too ridiculously close to his leaked $449 for the PSP.

offshore

If the PS3 slim is launched at around £260 in the UK, it would only be £30 away from the current £230 that retailers are pricing the Go at.

Sony's pricing is just out of control. The official Go price has to be sub £200. Sony will just get laughed at otherwise.

offshore said:
If the PS3 slim is launched at around £260 in the UK, it would only be £30 away from the current £230 that retailers are pricing the Go at.

Sony's pricing is just out of control. The official Go price has to be sub £200. Sony will just get laughed at otherwise.

Agree mate £230 for the go is going to look very ot when you can get a ps3 plus two games for £250 atm. £20 more for a next gen console bluray player and two games, or a pspgo.:lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
offshore said:

Go should be £150 max.

agm2502

supermackem said:
Agree mate £230 for the go is going to look very ot when you can get a ps3 plus two games for £250 atm. £20 more for a next gen console bluray player and two games, or a pspgo.:lol

If the Go stays at £230 then I doubt we'll see a PS3 price cut in the UK. I would hope that the Go will launch at £189 and the Slim at £229, but the way Sony has been so far this gen I expect it to be £229 for the Go and £279 for the Slim.

sun-drop

fuck ... sell eh .... no fucking way am i going a week with out a ps3 though, if i sell i want to buy right away.

i doubt any but the hardcore would even know about the slim till it is actually on shelves anyways so i think i can prob get away with it if i wait.

but yeh if that thing has B/C i'm fucked ..... but .... i doubt it will, i think if there is a fw update that incls b/c coming it'll be a title by title thing much like xbox b/c implemented. 60gig launch unit will still have value.

and i just can't be arsed with the pain in the ass that is transfering data between drives/PS3's ....

if there's a price drop ...meh ..just means it'll be cheeper to buy a new one so kinda works out really.

i'm gambling on lack on B/C tho .... hmmmm

spwolf

mrklaw said:
so we've accepted the slim as inevitable, and we're resurrecting the 'PS2 BC' patent/software rumour just to give us something to be disappointed about tomorrow? Come on GAF, lets just relax and enjoy the show.

exactly :).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sun-drop said:
i'm gambling on lack on B/C tho .... hmmmm

A safe bet methinks.

I don't know why ps2 bc talk surged alongside the slim...Sony won't put the hardware back in, and a software solution wouldn't have any direct relationship with the announcement of a slim sku.

A software solution that, I might add, seems highly doubtful to materialise. Those patents people go on about indicate nothing encouraging about progress on GS emu...an arrow on an illustration from GS to RSX is nothing but a gloss over. Not to mention Sony took the reasonably unusual step of publically saying that they were no longer going to pursue improved compatibility. I don't think they've ever ruled out any other software features or improvements (e.g. relating to xmb or the OS for example), but they pretty much did in this case, which to me means they're serious when they suggest it's a dead end.

Ahem...anyway...sorry for the rant. Just irks to see so much hope put into something so unlikely.

spwolf said:
exactly :).

Agreed....

Tomorrow you should be expecting:

PS3 Slim / Price Cut

PSPgo euro launch details

Updates on games from E3

GT5 - in some form

And everything else is pretty much gravy.

if you are expecting more than this then you are setting yourself up. Drama Queens that you are.

gofreak said:
A safe bet methinks.

I don't know why ps2 bc talk surged alongside the slim...Sony won't put the hardware back in, and a software solution wouldn't have any direct relationship with the announcement of a slim sku.

A software solution that, I might add, seems highly doubtful to materialise. Those patents people go on about indicate nothing encouraging about progress on GS emu...an arrow on an illustration from GS to RSX is nothing but a gloss over. Not to mention Sony took the reasonably unusual step of publically saying that they were no longer going to pursue improved compatibility. I don't think they've ever ruled out any other software features or improvements (e.g. relating to xmb or the OS for example), but they pretty much did in this case, which to me means they're serious when they suggest it's a dead end.

Ahem...anyway...sorry for the rant. Just irks to see so much hope put into something so unlikely.

the only reason you'd time it with the slim would be for impact at a time when you're trying to increase the perceived value of your format.

And why would anyone want to do that when they are last?

But yeah... i don;t think anyone should be expecting it.

KAL2006

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
Agreed....

PS3 Slim / Price Cut

Updates on games from E3

GT5 - in some form

if you are expecting more than this then you are setting yourself up. Drama Queens that you are.

Stop talking crap, they are going to announce

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Twisted Metal PS3
New PSN and XMB

:D

HUELEN10

What I do want to see, and this may or may not be realistic, is multiple colors of the slim. I want matte white, matte black, and matte bright cerulean!

spwolf

NinjaFusion said:
Agreed....

PS3 Slim / Price Cut

Updates on games from E3

GT5 - in some form

oh i expect few suprises... but BC? That has become holy grail of many these days, i personally think Sony would be crazy to invest time and money to bring something that is more and more irrelavant every day. But thats just imho - i am not as crazy as people at sony. :D

spwolf

Bearillusion said:
If he is correct that the price is $499AU I think his ban should be lifted. He should have handled the situation a bit better but being banned after revealing what he knows doesn't say a lot for the moderation of this board. If his info (PSP and PS3 Slim price) is proved incorrect then a ban would have been appropriate.

i think ban was for claiming he signed NDA when he didnt... He tried to put more importance to himself, in reality he is just an retail employee and we all know how much "insider" info they have.

Bearillusion said:
If he is correct that the price is $499AU I think his ban should be lifted. He should have handled the situation a bit better but being banned after revealing what he knows doesn't say a lot for the moderation of this board. If his info (PSP and PS3 Slim price) is proved incorrect then a ban would have been appropriate.
Pretending to be an insider is a bannable offence at these boards, and has been for quite some time. If it weren't, shit would get completely out of control with people starting fake rumours.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Segata Sanshiro said:
Pretending to be an insider is a bannable offence at these boards, and has been for quite some time. If it weren't, shit would get completely out of control with people starting fake rumours.

Agreed but we don't know for sure if he is pretending or not yet (or do we?). The only way to know for sure is if the info doesn't turn out to be true in which case I say ban him. All this does is scare people who are insiders from posting their info. If I were an insider and I saw this thread I probably wouldn't post any hints or info or anything now for fear of being preemptively banned for pretending.

Donos

What is with that Castle VidCon Comics ? Any one with the slim out there? If not i hope after the gamescom. They are always hilarious.

Oni Jazar

I'd say that Backwards Compatibility will eventually be similar to the 360's where specific titles will be emulated in software. These titles will likely be the ones sold in PSN. Hopefully Sony would let people also use the discs in that case.

Baron Aloha said:
Agreed but we don't know for sure if he is pretending or not yet (or do we?). The only way to know for sure is if the info doesn't turn out to be true in which case I say ban him. All this does is scare people who are insiders from posting their info. If I were an insider and I saw this thread I probably wouldn't post any hints or info or anything now for fear of being preemptively banned for pretending.
He was hinting pretty heavily that he personally had signed an NDA and was under a gag order, making it sound like he was more important than he actually was. And while this might scare off genuine insiders from sharing their info (though they have the option of fessing up to the administration via PMs who they are to avoid this kind of unpleasantness), it also definitely scares off shitheads who are spreading false rumours.

Whether or not his information proves correct is irrelevant. He shouldn't have been pretending to be such a fancy-pants nor should he have been teasing people with information he couldn't reveal. Both of those things get you banned here, and they have for quite a long time.

spwolf said:
oh i expect few suprises... but BC? That has become holy grail of many these days, i personally think Sony would be crazy to invest time and money to bring something that is more and more irrelavant every day. But thats just imho - i am not as crazy as people at sony. :D

But it'll be like in-game XMB.... the second it arrives everyone will bitch/lol about the way it's implemented and then start moaning about something else.

And that just gets a bit tiresome.

yurinka

spwolf said:
I don't know if the PS1 games sold in PSN had good sales. But if they work well, I think to spend some money in the emulator would be ok in order to sell PS2 games in PSN.

But I think it's too soon to release it, since they still have a lot of good PS1 games to be released in PSN and the PSPGo needs them.

PS2 is still selling decently, and it's profitable. I think they prefer to don't disturb its HW sales until PS3 becomes profitable.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Baron Aloha said:
Agreed but we don't know for sure if he is pretending or not yet (or do we?).

does it really matter? If he can't tell us what the super secret information is then just say nothing.

noah111

Still Alive
Just one day left.. I'm expecting lots of updates on various games, can't wait for all the new footage. :D For those anticipating BC as much as they are a price cut or a slim announcement, I wouldn't hold my breath. There is far more evidence for the foreseeing of the price drops and new SKU then there are for BC, and if BC is revealed, doubt it will be slim-exclusive.

By the way, will there be a thread for Sony's GamesCom conference, or will we just be using the general GC thread?

Meltdowns incoming in t-minus 26 hours.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sentry said:
Just one day left.. I'm expecting lots of updates on various games, can't wait for all the new footage. :D For those anticipating BC as much as they are a price cut or a slim announcement, I wouldn't hold my breath. There is far more evidence for the foreseeing of the price drops and new SKU then there are for BC, and if BC is revealed, doubt it will be slim-exclusive.

By the way, will there be a thread for Sony's GamesCom conference, or will we just be using the general GC thread?

Meltdowns incoming in t-minus 26 hours.

500 Server Errors incoming in t-minus 26 hours.

Fixed. :lol :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'll be working without internet access during the announcements :-(, temped to buy a 3G USB Modem for my laptop.

Kujo

Sony should really bring some more colours along with the Slim worldwide. Black, white and silver are a good combination. I loved the look of the silver PS3 when it was first shown:

2uzpc0p.jpg

Mojo said:
Sony should really bring some more colours along with the Slim worldwide. Black, white and silver are a good combination. I loved the look of the silver PS3 when it was first shown:

2uzpc0p.jpg

FUGLY.

Now the MGS 4 one... that was sex.

See also... White PS3.

Now... A white PS3 slim... that would be pure sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom