• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenjaminG

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Since when did Sony have individual retail employees signing gag orders and NDAs? Is this some new retail thing I don't know about? And why has he ONLY ever posted in this thread and nowhere else?

I didn't say I had signed an NDA. However SCEA staff, whom I rely on for info, have. I was asked not to repeat certain bits of information that I was told however (the 'gag').

I like this thread. It's exciting. My bad, I will branch out!

BenjaminG said:
I know the price. I previously said I would reveal it tonight.

$499. With some added value, this will be a game. In October, this game will be "Uncharted 2". I actually don't know if it will launch at this price point with a free game, but I expect this to be the case.

Stock should be arriving into stores on, or around September 1st, with an official launch on the 2nd or 2rd. However, my understanding is we can sell when stock arrives.

Please be true.

BenjaminG said:
I know the price. I previously said I would reveal it tonight.

$499. With some added value, this will be a game. In October, this game will be "Uncharted 2". I actually don't know if it will launch at this price point with a free game, but I expect this to be the case.

Stock should be arriving into stores on, or around September 1st, with an official launch on the 2nd or 2rd. However, my understanding is we can sell when stock arrives.

He's right.

BenjaminG said:
I didn't say I had signed an NDA. However SCEA staff, whom I rely on for info, have. I was asked not to repeat certain bits of information that I was told however (the 'gag').

So the truth comes out then. Ta-ta.

VegaShinra

Poimandres said:
He copped a ban? Damn, that's harsh breaks.

At least today had some real developments on the Slim front :D
Not really. We all pretty much knew it was real. Hell, we even knew of the general date of release.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BenjaminG said:

Oh well, another one bites the dust, but I'd just like to mention that SCEA (or any corporate) employees don't usually sign NDAs about their own stuff. It's covered in their general employment terms and is a given.

Poimandres said:
He copped a ban? Damn, that's harsh breaks.

At least today had some real developments on the Slim front :D

How so? A retail level employee who has "ins" with a Sales Rep (who never have any accurate info on "TEH SEKRUT PROJECKTS", remember) has broken the Slim case wide open?

I am not saying the Slim doesn't exist (there's far too much smoke for there to be no sign of fire), but a breakthrough case this is not.

VOOK said:
So what happens if he is correct?

Can ioi pull numbers out of his own ass in such a manner that even he cannot be convinced of their validity one way or the other?

Vormund

Truespeed said:
There was another patent for the GS emulation discovered not too long ago.

ps2_on_ps303_m.png

Hmm does look like it is for GS emulation. GS -> RSX

Of course a patent does not mean it works properly. I'd suspect it's a pre-emptive thing.

Dragona Akehi said:
How so? A retail level employee who has "ins" with a Sales Rep (who never have any accurate info on "TEH SEKRUT PROJECKTS", remember) has broken the Slim case wide open?

I am not saying the Slim doesn't exist (there's far too much smoke for there to be no sign of fire), but a breakthrough case this is not.

Can ioi pull numbers out of his own ass in such a manner that even he cannot be convinced of their validity one way or the other?

Well, I wouldn't say it's "breakthrough case" but having some pricing/pack in (alleged) details is nice.

Something is better than nothing right?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
VOOK said:
So what happens if he is correct?

But that's the thing. he's bound to be correct either in whole, or partially, because he's stating the obvious. This is basically a simple distillation of Gamescon and current discounts/shortages. Apart from anything else, if he's telling the truth, he's either breaking the law or fucking over somebody who trusted him to get attention on the internets.

But not too much attention as his weird stealth edit earlier demonstrated.

Dragona Akehi said:
So the truth comes out then. Ta-ta.

*hugs Dragona*

There were already rumors of $499 slim on September 2nd. They were and are still unconfirmed. No need for whether random junior is industry insider or not drama.

Shadowlink said:
Well he will probably be correct because he has told everyone what we already know.

But... before now we didn't know the price of the PSPGo or PS3 Slim in Australia. Unless I missed something?

Edit: and to be fair, we still don't really know...

LegoDad

FYI, no new news, on the SKU from the alleged Best Buy ad, it still comes up as nothing. Nothing new in the computers, just the same old vendor constraint on 80gb PS3's.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Shadowlink said:
Well he will probably be correct because he has told everyone what we already know.

Oh well I've only been following the PSPGo stuff so didn't know this about the Slim.

OuterWorldVoice said:
But that's the thing. he's bound to be correct either in whole, or partially, because he's stating the obvious. This is basically a simple distillation of Gamescon and current discounts/shortages. Apart from anything else, if he's telling the truth, he's either breaking the law or fucking over somebody who trusted him to get attention on the internets.

But not too much attention as his weird stealth edit earlier demonstrated.

Fair enough.

Dragona Akehi said:

He believes they are correct, everyone else knows better :lol

Truespeed

Raist said:
Looks more like an EE emulation diagram to me.

ps2_on_ps303_m.png

ps2_on_ps304_m.png

Perhaps, but if you look at the GS it seems to be labeled 1110E. 1110E in image 1 corresponds to an SPE in image 2. 1110E also references 1200 - the RSX. Now, the question is does the SPU (1110E) and RSX (1200) represent the GS? Not sure, but if you look at 1110G, in image 1, it labels itself as an SPU. So why is the GS (with RSX reference) labeled as 1110E?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Vormund said:
Hmm does look like it is for GS emulation. GS -> RSX

Of course a patent does not mean it works properly. I'd suspect it's a pre-emptive thing.

Why would you want to keep filing patents if you don't know if it works or not, wouldn't you finish a working solution and then file a patent? Filing let's just say, hundreds of conceptual patents that may or may not work before you can't get a hypothetical solution seems like some intern at sony is not having a fun summer.

Massa

erlim said:
Why would you want to keep filing patents if you don't know if it works or not, wouldn't you finish a working solution and then file a patent? Filing let's just say, hundreds of conceptual patents that may or may not work before you can't get a hypothetical solution seems like some intern at sony is not having a fun summer.

That's not how the fucked up current patent system works. All that patent means is that someone at Sony was thinking about this problem and came up with one possible idea to solve it - and that was two years ago, wasn't it?

Puck

Banned
so glad the insider finally revealed his information.

:lol damn i'm going to miss this thread.

i love the video game industry. announcements about announcements with hundreds of people overanalysing and waiting for news of any kind.

alternade

Haha It only a day away people and people are losing their damn minds around here.

I can only imagine the meltdowns if the slim isnt announced on tuesday:lol

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Massa said:
That's not how the fucked up current patent system works. All that patent means is that someone at Sony was thinking about this problem and came up with one possible idea to solve it - and that was two years ago, wasn't it?

I just figured it worked like filing a copyright. You pay a filing and processing fee, but if you have to make changes than you need to pay additional fees.

I hope the team has made some breakthroughs though. I'm not holding my breath. A friend of mine showed me a picture of them working and the whole team was like a guy and two girls and the gran turismo translator. They all had bags on their head, but nothing was really getting done. Oh well.

erlim said:
I just figured it worked like filing a copyright. You pay a filing and processing fee, but if you have to make changes than you need to pay additional fees.

I hope the team has made some breakthroughs though. I'm not holding my breath. A friend of mine showed me a picture of them working and the whole team was like a guy and two girls and the gran turismo translator. They all had bags on their head, but nothing was really getting done. Oh well.

Hmm... that's a bit suspicious - where's the monkey?

Is anybody else at least a little upset that after gamescom this thread wont be the same (if it even exists). It's just....so....epic.

And LOL at benjamin.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
g35twinturbo said:
this thread is crazy, I just have a hard time swallowing a $499 slim, I guess that was my bad feeling :lol

This thread is going to be very interesting over the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to it.

Vormund

erlim said:

Yeah pretty much what Massa said. There is a hell of a lot of shit flowing into the patent system. Crap like perpetual motion engines and stuff like that.

As long as they get their money for a patent application, they don't care.

DogWelder

g35twinturbo said:
this thread is crazy, I just have a hard time swallowing a $499 slim, I guess that was my bad feeling :lol
No-one said anything about $499, unless you mean the purported insider, who meant AU$499.

If he is correct that the price is $499AU I think his ban should be lifted. He should have handled the situation a bit better but being banned after revealing what he knows doesn't say a lot for the moderation of this board. If his info (PSP and PS3 Slim price) is proved incorrect then a ban would have been appropriate.

I'm sure when shit gets announced and he's right (if he is) he'll be sitting there sipping the sweet nectar of justice and most of us will look like fools.

Or he'll be wrong and we'll all not give a shit. Whichever comes.

Won't they simply do what they did when the 40gb was released?

Reduce the existing stock and introduce the new model at the current price until existing stock is cleared and the new model just adopts the revised price?

Not sure what the speculation is...

It's

$299
£249
Euro 299

sun-drop

i'm conflicted ..i have a launch PAl 60GB unit with a store warrenty till april 2010 ready to put up for sale online the moment this slim is anounced.

i've played my fill of the ps2 classics, so B/c runs a distant 2ned to silent/cool running and piece of mind re any more YLOD issues.

i should be able to upgrade for almost no cost if the demand for B/C is still there in the market ... so yeh ...kinda hope slim doesn't have b/c, out of the gate at least.

do i put it online now and get a jump on any price drop ..risking being console less if they don't anounce it?? ..i'm gonna wait till the conference.

Bearillusion said:
If he is correct that the price is $499AU I think his ban should be lifted. He should have handled the situation a bit better but being banned after revealing what he knows doesn't say a lot for the moderation of this board. If his info (PSP and PS3 Slim price) is proved incorrect then a ban would have been appropriate.

Agreed, can't believe people are getting so precious about people posting what may or may not be insider information on a public forum. Serious business alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom