• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
KillJade said:
You act as though there's nothing out for the system already.

There are more than a few people who feel this way. I always think they don't consider PSN. That's the one reason I feel comfortable about my purchase, the quality of PSN is unparalleled among console manufacturers imo.

Shadowlink said:
I got banned for the same reason but talking asking about the 360 version of FF XIII in the FF XIII PS3 thread. It was only 1 week though so perma ban is pretty harsh.

Back On-topic: I'm hoping a price cut at least happens during Sony's Conference tomorrow.

I think a price cut is a given at this point. When was the last PS3 price cut? I can't quite remember.

DoctorWho said:
I think a price cut is a given at this point. When was the last PS3 price cut? I can't quite remember.
Yeah but what's stopping me from buying a PS3 when the price cut hits is the fact that the Slim might be announced soon, if not announced tomorrow.

KillJade

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
There are more than a few people who feel this way. I always think they don't consider PSN. That's the one reason I feel comfortable about my purchase, the quality of PSN is unparalleled among console manufacturers imo.

PS3 has issues, but a wide range of quality software definitely is not one of them.

DMeisterJ

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Heh.

Edit: bolded emphasis

Shadowlink said:
Yeah but what's stopping me from buying a PS3 when the price cut hits is the fact that the Slim might be announced soon, if not announced tomorrow.

I'm curious to see if they give people a reason to buy the slim besides form factor. If you could go out and buy the current PS3 tomorrow for the same price as the slim which may launch in a month - what's stopping you? Different colors? Exclusive BC? Or does size really matter? :D

I too am holding out on my second PS3 purchase to see what happens tomorrow but if the Slim doesn't have anything above and beyond the smaller size that impresses me I will just go out and buy a current PS3 with a price cut.

DoctorWho said:
I'm curious to see if they give people a reason to buy the slim besides form factor. If you could go out and buy the current PS3 tomorrow for the same price as the slim which may launch in a month - what's stopping you? Different colors? Exclusive BC? Or does size really matter? :D

I too am holding out on my second PS3 purchase to see what happens tomorrow but if the Slim doesn't have anything above and beyond the smaller size that impresses me I will just go out and buy a current PS3 with a price cut.
For me, it's the size because it won't take as much room as the current PS3. Why are you buying another PS3?

KillJade

Banned
My wife wants a second PS3 for a Blu-ray player in the bedroom, first time she's ever actively encouraged me to buy another gaming console, lol.

DMeisterJ said:
E3 2005 too I think. Pre-Rendered footage and insurmountable hype.

E3 2005 was all just smoke and mirrors for Sony though. Pre-rendered this, boomerang that, Spring launch this, dual HDMI that.

TGS 1999 had almost every PS2 launch game playable on the show floor, the price and date were announced, and the system was finally given it's proper coming out party. People could walk the show floor and play the games then go home and know just how much money they had to save to bring one home day one all with zero competition on the show floor.

Sony owned TGS 1999

KillJade said:
My wife wants a second PS3 for a Blu-ray player in the bedroom, first time she's ever actively encouraged me to buy another gaming console, lol.

You know you can get Blu-ray players on sale for around $150-$99 bucks now right?

Egmont

Neo Member
Damn. I must be one of the only people who actually does care about the size and weight.

15 lbs is a lot to carry in a suitcase whose max weight is 50 lbs when you have to carry just about everything you own around with you in it.
Hooray for going to college halfway around the goddamn world!

It helps that I also really like the new look of the console from what we've seen so far.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Slightly off topic, but the MAG Beta Codes are being sent out for those who entered the MAG Beta email. Just got mine. Will ease the pain till tomorrow. :D

There's such a high overlap that there really aren't that many games for this 360 owner. yeah, I'm well aware of what's available and coming out for the PS3, no need for list wars and wait fors.

Truespeed

DoctorWho said:
Fair enough but you can't deny that Sony has mishandled the PS3 (except for R&D this is a fucking awesome system) this generation. P

I just had to get that Ice Road Trucker scene in :D

spwolf

DoctorWho said:

well who knows what exactly will the Slim have, but smaller form factor + less power/heat/noise, and larger HDD seem pretty good, all for the same price as phat at $299.

I suspect that getting phat with 1-2 free games would be the best deal right now (in some countries right now), but people still might want latest and coolest at the same price.

chubigans said:
Slightly off topic, but the MAG Beta Codes are being sent out for those who entered the MAG Beta email. Just got mine. Will ease the pain till tomorrow. :D
Can you send me your PS3 for a week so I can play it? :p

Shadowlink said:
For me, it's the size because it won't take as much room as the current PS3. Why are you buying another PS3?

Don't know if I will yet. I've currently got a dead 60 gig that has been fucked to hell by a local repair shop. Still might send that one off to Sony but I'm waiting to see if the Slim will have anything new or exciting to offer. If so, I may just wait for that. I also might jump the gun and buy a new system just because I've been without my PS3 for pretty much the whole summer and don't feel like waiting another two weeks for the repair.

I barely started to play Blazblue when my system died and I've yet to experience the awesomeness of the last few weeks (downloadable goodness).

Also, I just got into the MAG beta and would like to try it out before the beta ends. :D

spwolf said:
well who knows what exactly will the Slim have, but smaller form factor + less power/heat/noise, and larger HDD seem pretty good, all for the same price as phat at $299.

I suspect that getting phat with 1-2 free games would be the best deal right now (in some countries right now), but people still might want latest and coolest at the same price.

I'm worried the new form factor will come with its own set of problems.

spwolf

chubigans said:

yea, and it seems as if it starts now? ehm.... *RUNS TO THE PS3 SCREAMING, and waking up the kids*

Dragon

Banned
Fyodor Dostoevsky said:
There's such a high overlap that there really aren't that many games for this 360 owner. yeah, I'm well aware of what's available and coming out for the PS3, no need for list wars and wait fors.

Well if you don't consider the exclusives for the system interesting then I don't blame you.

KillJade

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
You know you can get Blu-ray players on sale for around $150-$99 bucks now right?

Of course, but we use the Media Streaming capabilities of the PS3 almost daily, and would definitely like to have access to that while we're laying in bed.

LegoDad

magbeta.png

Well one thing has gone well... PS3 slim to sweeten the deal?

OldJadedGamer said:

PS3 is still one of the best blu-ray players on the market and well worth the extra cost for its media capabilities. Used it daily.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The MAG email says to play during some scheduled times to show off for the Cologne crowd. I only have a few hours to learn this thing. :lol

KillJade said:
Of course, but we use the Media Streaming capabilities of the PS3 almost daily, and would definitely like to have access to that while we're laying in bed.

Your post only said you wanted a second Blu-ray player.

DoctorWho said:
PS3 is still one of the best blu-ray players on the market and well worth the extra cost for its media capabilities. Used it daily.

Sure but as a second machine? Why spend the extra $300 bucks? Plus, the original post he wrote didn't say anything about the media streaming only that he wanted a second Blu-ray.

VegaShinra

chubigans said:
The MAG email says to play during some scheduled times to show off for the Cologne crowd. I only have a few hours to learn this thing. :lol
I thought PSN was going down tomorrow just before the conf started.

chubigans said:

Shit, I might have to get my PS3 semi-up and running for this. God, this thing is really fucked up. It plays online games only some of the time.

Must play MAG!

chubigans said:
ahh just signed up now havent checked my email for a week, will prob be in a later roll out of beta

agaru

chubigans said:
Looks like they will use you guys to show off the game during the convention! Lucky mofos. :p

Wish I had a code right now!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OldJadedGamer said:
E3 2005 was all just smoke and mirrors for Sony though.
Pretty much all E3 showings that were considered 'best' at the time were largely based on smoke and mirrors. Presentation, more than substance, is what gets people riled up.

spwolf

OldJadedGamer said:
Your post only said you wanted a second Blu-ray player.

Sure but as a second machine? Why spend the extra $300 bucks? Plus, the original post he wrote didn't say anything about the media streaming only that he wanted a second Blu-ray.

well it would be extra $100 for better BD player + Media Server Player + Gaming console.
It is no brainer really.

There are some BD players that are also media server clients but it is pretty rudimentary.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It would be awesome if they did another live MAG demo during the conference!

"And here I am with 256 random players, so let's follow our teammate chubigans here...ok, he's shooting me...alright he just team killed me, which is a good segway into our excellent player report tools..."

KillJade

Banned
chubigans said:
It would be awesome if they did another live MAG demo during the conference!

"And here I am with 256 random players, so let's follow our teammate chubigans here...ok, he's shooting me...alright he just team killed me, which is a good segway into our excellent player report tools..."

lol

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
OldJadedGamer said:
E3 2005 was all just smoke and mirrors for Sony though. Pre-rendered this, boomerang that, Spring launch this, dual HDMI that.

TGS 1999 had almost every PS2 launch game playable on the show floor, the price and date were announced, and the system was finally given it's proper coming out party. People could walk the show floor and play the games then go home and know just how much money they had to save to bring one home day one all with zero competition on the show floor.

That's what I'm saying, in ten years, since the PS2 launched, sony has not had any conference filled with anything close to the scope of announcements of "backwards compatibility/redesigned system/$100 price drop!" Basically the wishes of any PS3 or prospective PS3 owner. I am in complete awe that a solid group of people here actually expect anything close to that to go down tomorrow...

erlim said:
That's what I'm saying, in ten years, since the PS2 launched, sony has not had any conference filled with anything close to the scope of announcements of "backwards compatibility/redesigned system/$100 price drop!" Basically the wishes of any PS3 or prospective PS3 owner. I am in complete awe that a solid group of people here actually expect anything close to that to go down tomorrow...

And two of those things are highly likely....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom