• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
vpance said:
What's the odds on BC firmware and PS2 games launching on the PS Store?

What with the above /\, the slim, and a potential considerable price drop I think we are are seriously over speculating on this one I'm sorry.

Mikey Jr.

Sentry said:
More likely that it will have something to do with the video store finally coming to the UK/EU, but who knows.. don't hold your breath on it being a new PSN.

Why take it off for NA though? What does a UK store launch have anything to do with NA?

vpance said:
What's the odds on BC firmware and PS2 games launching on the PS Store?
If this happens with the PS3 slim announcement tomorrow, then tomorrow will be Sony's best conference ever.
I'm hyping it too much :(

lowrider007 said:
What with the above /\, the slim, and a potential considerable price drop I think we are are seriously over speculating on this one I'm sorry.

Right now, Sony is fucked when it comes to the PS triple. PSP sells more than it and they really need to essentially relaunch this system. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something drastic come out of this conference.

gafster1

Neo Member
From CNet: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10311394-235.html?tag=mncol;txt

Fanboy-driven fervor with no substance.

A rumored new PlayStation 3 form factor that could well be on the horizon...But why..people seem to be so excited about this as-yet-unseen console? After all, the PS3..has lagged far behind its competitors.

Even when the video game industry was still roaring...the PS3..badly trailed both the Wii and Xbox. Yet by all measures, Sony has come up short with the PS3.

So why all the enthusiasm?

"The only real (reason) I can (think of) is 'fandom' or 'fan-boy-ness"..hopes it will help Sony pull out of third place in the console race..For others..something smaller, and possibly cooler--current PS3s run pretty warm."

To me...nothing to get as worked up..After all, the PS3 has been on the market for almost three years..someone who really wanted a PS3 but hasn't yet pulled the trigger would finally break down over a potential $100 price break.

..slow sales aside..this may be Sony's chance to catch up...For me, it doesn't make sense. To be sure, I'm not one of the partisans, but I just can't help thinking that even a newer, slimmer PS3 is still going to be a PS3. Which means it'll be more expensive than its rivals, and have a games library which, while including some impressive titles, is generally seen as less impressive than what's available for Xbox.

Some may argue that a lower-priced PS3 will lead to a larger consumer base, which in turn will result in more, and better, games. But that's a lot to hope for, given the struggles going on in the video games industry right now.

And clearly, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

"I think it's an overblown waste of time"..until we know, it's just rumors and speculation to torment the fanboy mind."

I really agree with this idea. The Slim -- if it exists or not, doesnt really matter -- What Sony needs is a Price-War Price Tag. $230-260 by Feb.

Lothars

DoctorWho said:
Right now, Sony is fucked when it comes to the PS triple. PSP sells more than it and they really need to essentially relaunch this system. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something drastic come out of this conference.

I don't think they are fucked at all, The biggest factor right now is Price and it needs to be dropped once it's dropped than it's a whole different game, but right now price is the only issue.

DoctorWho said:

debbie.gif

Egmont

Neo Member
DoctorWho said:

Especially if they want to hit that "13 million units served" mark they promised their investors with, even if they do have the greater part of a year to get there.

Carl

lowrider007 said:

thisisneogafdude.gif

Did i do it right? :lol

oh noez, we had realistic and still neat/big announcements coming like Slim PS3 & pricedrop.
Now they won't be able the fulfill the expectations again because people just keep raising the bar :lol
then, after the Sony PC, we will see this behavior everywhere:
angerdome0b886.gif

Dragon

Banned
gafster1 said:
Yes. But N & MS can *also* drop their price. Sony needs a very bold price move to move the needle. A $300 Slim isnt going to cut it.

Well MS IS dropping their price on the Elite. And the consensus on Nintendo is that they'll bundle more games with the Wii rather than drop the price.

T Ghost

lothars said:
I don't think they are fucked at all, The biggest factor right now is Price and it needs to be dropped once it's dropped than it's a whole different game, but right now price is the only issue.

You forgot that the reason that Sony didn't drop the price is that Sony as a corporation, at the moment, can't afford the price drop that would resolve the PS3 "problem". And as long as this situation doesn't have any changes in the forecast, Sony is actually fucked.

Carl

Mikey Jr. said:
Why take it off for NA though? What does a UK store launch have anything to do with NA?

Pretty sure the entire network has to go down. They can't just put Europe under maintenance, AFAIK.

spwolf

SolidusDave said:
oh noez, we had realistic and still neat/big announcements coming like Slim PS3 & pricedrop.
Now they won't be able the fulfill the expectations again because people just keep raising the bar :lol
then, after the Sony PC, we will see this behavior everywhere:
angerdome0b886.gif

thats how it works :D

To be honest I'm expecting the PS3 Slim to replace the PS2 Slim and cost 99.99 at best and have backwards compatibility. with the N64.

Anything less and it's a huge fail.

gafster1 said:
I really agree with this idea. The Slim -- if it exists or not, doesnt really matter -- What Sony needs is a Price-War Price Tag. $230-260 by Feb.

$230????

Give us a PS3 for 99$, full BC and bundled with 5 games or burst!!!!

vilmer_

A Slim at $299 would be great for me because instead of having 2 or 3 friends to game with regularly, I'll suddenly have 10 more because this is exactly what they have been waiting for to take the plunge. And if their Slim looks better than my ol' tank, I may have to double dip :lol

T Ghost said:
You forgot that the reason that Sony didn't drop the price is that Sony as a corporation, at the moment, can't afford the price drop that would resolve the PS3 "problem". And as long as this situation doesn't have any changes in the forecast, Sony is actually fucked.

Well, their inching toward profitability. They need to sell games, and they have some good ones coming up into next year, so we'll see. "Fucked" I think is too strong right now.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
As long as i've been following the game industry, Sony has never ever had the strongest showing at any trade show.

vpance

lowrider007 said:

Hope is a good thing, etc.

SoTC 1080p version on the store tommorow would rock :)

spwolf

elrechazao said:
Isn't HDNA their big TV branding campaign? I'm assuming they cross promoted it too, but I never really saw it on much but TV ads and commercials.

HDNA is their everything connected campaign... it seems to suggest something big with network and probably not hardware... maybe PSN Music store + integration of PSN to other devices? Now that would be interesting for sure....

Tom Penny

CrayzeeCarl said:
That's the point of the slim. To reduce the cost of production for Sony so they can reduce the price to the consumer. So how does it not matter?

It matters. Just not as much as hardcore gamers want / or think it does.

spwolf said:
HDNA is their everything connected campaign... it seems to suggest something big with network and probably not hardware... maybe iTunes compatibility + integration of PSN to other devices? Now that would be interesting for sure....
With universal in-games music from iTunes/iPod..:D

Ettie

Sascha23 said:
The question is, what will show up on there when service resumes?

Perhaps it's just a ridiculous coincidence? Doubtful.

Obviously it's the full back catalog of PS2 titles and the early addition of the 300ish UMD titles in advance if the PSP Go release.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Fuck!

This thread is moving at a steady clip. 10k before the Slim announcement is so going to happen. I hope they have Matte White so I can upgrade

:( Bye Wollan

OldJadedGamer said:
TGS 1999. Pre-launch of the PS2.

E3 2005 too I think. Pre-Rendered footage and insurmountable hype.

DMeisterJ said:
Fuck!

This thread is moving at a steady clip. 10k before the Slim announcement is so going to happen. I hope they have Matte White so I can upgrade

:( Bye Wollan

What did Wollan do?

Truespeed

DoctorWho said:

2dqu8hw.gif

Ardorx

Banned
DoctorWho said:

I agree and I do hope that Sony has saved all their aces for this conference. Another bad Christmas could mean doom for Sony, and that would be "turrible".

Ardorx said:
I agree and I do hope that Sony has saved all their aces for this conference. Another bad Christmas could mean doom for Sony, and that would be "turrible".
I'm gonna assume you're entertaining that mans ridiculous opinion with some clever satire of your own.

...right?

chubigans said:
Start on page 155.
I got banned for the same reason but talking asking about the 360 version of FF XIII in the FF XIII PS3 thread. It was only 1 week though so perma ban is pretty harsh.

Back On-topic: I'm hoping a price cut at least happens during Sony's Conference tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom